http://gamingtrend.com
December 18, 2014, 05:37:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PS3] Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch  (Read 11316 times)
USMC Kato
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 21, 2013, 06:43:28 PM »

Quote from: Azhag on January 21, 2013, 02:16:08 AM

Those who pre-ordered from Amazon, have yours shipped yet? Mine doesn't say it has, yet says delivery on Tuesday. Hope it's not using USPS :-P

I got my Amazon shipping confirmation yesterday morning, delivery Tuesday.

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 21, 2013, 08:10:51 PM »

Mine says "shipping soon" now. So it'll probably make it, but if not I'm going to be using best buy for more release purchases :-P
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 21, 2013, 08:18:53 PM »

I have not used Amazon for many release-date purchases, but when I have, they've never disappointed.

-Autistic Angel
USMC Kato

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 21, 2013, 10:35:01 PM »

Quote from: Azhag on January 21, 2013, 08:10:51 PM

Mine says "shipping soon" now. So it'll probably make it, but if not I'm going to be using best buy for more release purchases :-P

My copy arrived at around 1:00pm EST

Semper Fidelis

shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: January 22, 2013, 01:24:36 AM »

After watching a review of the game they mentioned having to look at the in game book a lot if you don't get the collectors edition.  I wish they would make an iPad app for it.

davidrobots
Senior Lead Editor
Gaming Trend Reader

Holler holler get dollar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: January 22, 2013, 03:02:44 AM »

Quote from: shon on January 22, 2013, 01:24:36 AM

After watching a review of the game they mentioned having to look at the in game book a lot if you don't get the collectors edition.  I wish they would make an iPad app for it.

I'm sure some obsessed fan will be making a .pdf of it at some point, and you can just throw that on the iPad.

David Roberts
Managing Editor, Gaming Trend

Twitter: @davidrobots
Nintendo ID: davidrobots
Xbox Gamertag: FencerMusashi
PSN ID: Fencer Musashi
Steam: davidrobots
3DS: 2148-8144-9369
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 22, 2013, 10:07:11 PM »

Ever since the review scores started appearing, the outlier has been Game Informer's notably low 7/10.  It was written by Kimberley Wallace who, as the newest hire on staff, is something of an unknown quantity, but her full article is now available online:

Quote from: Kimberley Wallace
Ni No Kuni features many battles, but most trying is the playerís struggle against old-school mechanics. First off, every area contains an absurd amount of random encounters, and while enemies are visible on the field, they charge instantly once spotting you. Avoiding them is next to impossible, even after upgrading Oliverís speed.

This problem is exacerbated by limited save points in dungeons (although the world map allows saving at any time). If you die before reaching a save point, youíre transported back to the dungeonís entrance, grinding through the same enemies again. When you perish, Ni No Kuni also fines you 10 percent of your money to keep earned XP. Death is a possibility in every battle, keeping you constantly alert and forcing you to learn the battle system. Initially, thatís what I liked the most, but the aforementioned issues made this process almost unbearable.

They've also posted a Test Chamber on the game -- imagine a Giant Bomb Quick Look but with way less contempt for the audience -- but I have not yet watched it.

-Autistic Angel
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 23, 2013, 12:09:19 AM »

A very very positive review on Gametrailers

I can't remember a more positive review on their site.

Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 23, 2013, 12:32:29 AM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on January 22, 2013, 10:07:11 PM

Ever since the review scores started appearing, the outlier has been Game Informer's notably low 7/10.  It was written by Kimberley Wallace who, as the newest hire on staff, is something of an unknown quantity, but her full article is now available online:

Ni No Kuni features many battles, but most trying is the playerís struggle against old-school mechanics. First off, every area contains an absurd amount of random encounters, and while enemies are visible on the field, they charge instantly once spotting you. Avoiding them is next to impossible, even after upgrading Oliverís speed.

This problem is exacerbated by limited save points in dungeons (although the world map allows saving at any time). If you die before reaching a save point, youíre transported back to the dungeonís entrance, grinding through the same enemies again. When you perish, Ni No Kuni also fines you 10 percent of your money to keep earned XP. Death is a possibility in every battle, keeping you constantly alert and forcing you to learn the battle system. Initially, thatís what I liked the most, but the aforementioned issues made this process almost unbearable.

They've also posted a Test Chamber on the game -- imagine a Giant Bomb Quick Look but with way less contempt for the audience -- but I have not yet watched it.

-Autistic Angel

Her review seems off compared to all of the other review out there. I wouldn't put much stock in it.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 23, 2013, 12:34:49 AM »

I can see the point about random encounters.  If you get too close to them, they are on you for sure.  There are a lot of them, too.  It's also kind of annoying to try to sneak up on them.  It seems that most of the time they happen to turn around right as you're about to get them.

However, I am absolutely loving this game.  Totally enthralled by the story, the art, the gameplay.  Everything.  I'm only about 3 hours in.  We'll see if it holds up.  If they start piling too much on, I may get tired of it.  But so far, so good.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 23, 2013, 02:10:33 AM »

Only through the first boss, but enjoying so far. I could see how map encounters could be annoying, but so far at least there have been plenty of save points and it's been a good tutorial progression.
USMC Kato

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 23, 2013, 02:20:13 AM »

Played only and hour so far early this morning, but I have to say that the English dub is outstanding. I usually play my JRPG's in original Japanese with subtitles given the option, but for Xenoblade, Last Story, and now this game I prefer the dub.

Semper Fidelis

davidrobots
Senior Lead Editor
Gaming Trend Reader

Holler holler get dollar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: January 23, 2013, 04:16:18 AM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on January 23, 2013, 02:20:13 AM

Played only and hour so far early this morning, but I have to say that the English dub is outstanding. I usually play my JRPG's in original Japanese with subtitles given the option, but for Xenoblade, Last Story, and now this game I prefer the dub.

Drippy absolutely steals the show. I want to meet the guy who did the voice work for him and shake his hand.

David Roberts

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 23, 2013, 11:32:48 AM »

Quote from: Scraper on January 23, 2013, 12:32:29 AM

Quote from: Autistic Angel on January 22, 2013, 10:07:11 PM

-Autistic Angel

Her review seems off compared to all of the other review out there. I wouldn't put much stock in it.

Eh, we should be careful about discarding reviews just because they stray from the mean.  The initial spate of Black & White reviews were glowing with praise, too.

That said, Game Informer's executive editor Andrew Reiner has recently made several pointed comments about how review scores reflect an individual's opinion, not that of the entire site.  Now, in the new Devil May Cry Test Chamber, he's gone out of his way to remark on how much he adores Ni No Kuni.  I think he's with you on this.

On the game itself, I have not received so much as a whisper from Namco's website about my Wizard's Edition, but some friends were kind enough to bring over their copy for a little while last night.  It's the first time I've seen the game in action.  Yesterday afternoon, I would have said that The Witcher 2 remains the best looking game I have ever seen, but if those opening moments are any indication, Ni No Kuni is a serious contender for that top spot. icon_eek

-Autistic Angel
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 23, 2013, 12:37:48 PM »

Quote from: Azhag on January 23, 2013, 02:10:33 AM

Only through the first boss, but enjoying so far. I could see how map encounters could be annoying, but so far at least there have been plenty of save points and it's been a good tutorial progression.

I've played about 6 hours now and the map encounters don't bother me at all. Once you reach a certain level ahead of the monsters they will actually run away from you, which reduces the annoyance of useless battles. Up to that point all of the battles only help to increase your level and gold. It helps that you can save anywhere, except in dungeons. 

Additionally I am LOVING this game. It is easily my favorite RPG since FF12. It might even surpase that one once it's all done.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 23, 2013, 01:25:02 PM »

Quote from: davidrobots on January 23, 2013, 04:16:18 AM

Quote from: USMC Kato on January 23, 2013, 02:20:13 AM

Drippy absolutely steals the show. I want to meet the guy who did the voice work for him and shake his hand.

Agree with this.  Love that guy.

msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 23, 2013, 02:24:49 PM »

This game is enchanting, and I'm still in the hand-holding phase.

Beautiful.    Soul grabbing story.    I'm hoping that this world and Drippy are real and not just in this kid's head due to what is at stake!
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 23, 2013, 02:25:16 PM »

Btw -- I would classify this game as a system seller.    IMHO of course.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 23, 2013, 08:39:25 PM »

This game looks amazing... Has there been any mention of length in the reviews?

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
davidrobots
Senior Lead Editor
Gaming Trend Reader

Holler holler get dollar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: January 23, 2013, 08:41:59 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on January 23, 2013, 08:39:25 PM

IGN says around 40 hours to beat the game, but there's more to do after the credits roll, and it'll take at least 80 hours to get the Platinum trophy.

David Roberts

msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 23, 2013, 08:51:53 PM »

Quote from: davidrobots on January 23, 2013, 08:41:59 PM

IGN says around 40 hours to beat the game, but there's more to do after the credits roll, and it'll take at least 80 hours to get the Platinum trophy.

Btw ->  The pet you have in your avatar is hot garbage according to IGN wiki for this game.  :p
davidrobots
Senior Lead Editor
Gaming Trend Reader

Holler holler get dollar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: January 23, 2013, 08:56:03 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on January 23, 2013, 08:51:53 PM

Quote from: davidrobots on January 23, 2013, 08:41:59 PM

Btw ->  The pet you have in your avatar is hot garbage according to IGN wiki for this game.  :p

Whatever, he's adorable.

David Roberts

Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 23, 2013, 09:03:40 PM »

I've now played 8 hours and I have that game itch where I can't wait to get home and play it some more. That to me is the sign of a great game.

It actually reminds me of my child hood when a fantasy story could really suck me into the world, man I wish I could have played this when I was 10 years old.

davidrobots
Senior Lead Editor
Gaming Trend Reader

Holler holler get dollar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: January 23, 2013, 09:48:38 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on January 23, 2013, 09:03:40 PM

I've now played 8 hours and I have that game itch where I can't wait to get home and play it some more. That to me is the sign of a great game.

It actually reminds me of my child hood when a fantasy story could really suck me into the world, man I wish I could have played this when I was 10 years old.

There really is this charming, magical quality about the entire thing.

David Roberts

msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 23, 2013, 10:01:06 PM »

Anyone here seen Ponyo?   That movie has the same enchanting quality to it even though it's bizzare in many ways.    This game I think is even more enchanting than that.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: January 23, 2013, 10:45:41 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on January 23, 2013, 10:01:06 PM

Anyone here seen Ponyo?   That movie has the same enchanting quality to it even though it's bizzare in many ways.    This game I think is even more enchanting than that.

That's because they're both by Studio Ghibli.

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 23, 2013, 11:00:43 PM »

Quote from: davidrobots on January 23, 2013, 09:48:38 PM

Quote from: Scraper on January 23, 2013, 09:03:40 PM

There really is this charming, magical quality about the entire thing.

I feel like nearly every JRPG starts this way. It's when I hit the 15-20 mark and the repetitive nature of the gameplay kicks in that I start to struggle.

Sean Lama
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: January 23, 2013, 11:57:10 PM »

Really? I'm usually able to tell just from a video or quick look, about a JRPG's level of banality. It's gotten pretty bad this generation of games.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 24, 2013, 12:30:09 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on January 23, 2013, 11:57:10 PM

Really? I'm usually able to tell just from a video or quick look, about a JRPG's level of banality. It's gotten pretty bad this generation of games.

I'm probably not as seasoned as you in this particular genre. I can count on one hand the number of JRPGs I've completed.

Sean Lama
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 24, 2013, 01:23:57 AM »

I have mixed impressions thus far.  I often don't have large blocks of gaming time, so I was going a bit crazy waiting for the "game" to start.  No doubt the music and animation is wonderful and magical, but it's just so much exposition.  The only gameplay I've experienced so far is moving from one spot to another.  I realize gaming is coming eventually but I'm not sure I like the intro/prelude to be this extended.  The other minor nit I have is that the dialog is not 100% spoken.  Given how good the quality is in general, the game feels like it should all be spoken.  I got sad every time the voice went out.  Anyway, hoping to get some bigger time blocks to play this weekend.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 24, 2013, 02:17:19 AM »

I hate JRPGs.
I love this game.

(still early though)

IN!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 24, 2013, 03:29:27 AM »

I'm baffled as to why anyone who doesn't like RPGs would buy this game.  It'd be like me buying Gears of War and expecting to like it.  Kudos to you all for giving it a try though.

My copy is currently sitting at home on top of my PS3 (Mrs. Gratch sent a picture just to rub it in)...while I spend the next 3 days out of town.   crybaby

Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 24, 2013, 04:12:01 AM »

I am REALLY pissed at Namco. I pre-ordered the Wizard edition, and just received a notification that my credit card declined the transaction and my order was cancelled. They also stated that I couldn't re-order because it is sold out.

I called my CC company, and they stated that no attempt was ever made to charge my card, and that no transaction -ever- has been declined.

Then I found out on another website that Namco OVERSOLD the pre-orders and is now randomly cancelling orders. Using a lie about my credit card company being at fault  to cancel an order for their mistake just irritates the hell out of me.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 24, 2013, 04:31:00 AM »

My email just went the "oversold" route:

Dear Customer:

Digital River is very sorry for the problems you had ordering NAMCO BANDAI's Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witchô - Wizard's Edition. Regretfully, we must inform you that because of an error in our ordering system, the available inventory of Wizard's Edition was oversold by mistake. As a result, we were unable to fulfill your order because it was placed after the stock was depleted. You will receive an official order cancellation notice within 24-48 hours.

Farg. Good thing I didn't cancel my Amazon pre-order.  finger

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: January 24, 2013, 06:25:15 AM »

Eh, there should be scans of the book online by now. As someone said already, I'll just put it on my tablet.

Also really nice for girlfriends who don't play, she gets to look up all the stuff in the cool book that directly affects the game.
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: January 24, 2013, 07:34:12 AM »

I was having some problems with combat but tonight I think I finally figured out what I was doing wrong.  The fights even early on can get hectic and I was making my decisions very quickly and attacking basically non-stop and trying to defend when necessary which was very tough because I'd have to cancel a lot and move to the defend slot.  I then slowed down and walked around the area and waited for the enemy to attack and when they finished I would get close and then attack and wow what a difference that makes.  I'm getting more health and mana drops and doing some major damage plus it helps with defending since I'm taking my time.  If you can time it well you get the golden drop which helps a lot. 

In combat, timing is very important and I guess I missed that instruction in the tutorials.  It's made the combat a lot more exciting.

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 24, 2013, 11:47:21 AM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on January 24, 2013, 04:31:00 AM

My email just went the "oversold" route:

Dear Customer:

Digital River is very sorry for the problems you had ordering NAMCO BANDAI's Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witchô - Wizard's Edition. Regretfully, we must inform you that because of an error in our ordering system, the available inventory of Wizard's Edition was oversold by mistake. As a result, we were unable to fulfill your order because it was placed after the stock was depleted. You will receive an official order cancellation notice within 24-48 hours.

Yup, ditto.  It's especially frustrating when you check on some of the other threads on the internet and find people boasting about calling Digital River, making a big stink about orders they never actually made, and recieving immediate shipping confirmations.  The company didn't oversell the Wizard Edition -- they reallocated reserved copies to people who figured out how to scam themselves one -- or more -- post-deadline copies.

I just got off the phone with a Digital River rep who tried to explain that the order still shows as Processing and that the e-mail was a warning that it *could* be cancelled.  She also had to correct herself multiple times, adjusting her assurances from "it will be shipping soon" to "it will ship at the earliest availability."  In other words, look for my copy of Ni No Kuni on an auction site near you.

Oh, well.  If Namco won't sell me a copy of their game for $110, I can always buy one at $20.  Or not.  I've maintained all along that Gratch's playthrough is the most important, and apparently we've only got three more days to wait! icon_cool thumbsup

-Autistic Angel
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 24, 2013, 01:59:03 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on January 24, 2013, 01:23:57 AM

I have mixed impressions thus far.  I often don't have large blocks of gaming time, so I was going a bit crazy waiting for the "game" to start.  No doubt the music and animation is wonderful and magical, but it's just so much exposition.  The only gameplay I've experienced so far is moving from one spot to another.  I realize gaming is coming eventually but I'm not sure I like the intro/prelude to be this extended.  The other minor nit I have is that the dialog is not 100% spoken.  Given how good the quality is in general, the game feels like it should all be spoken.  I got sad every time the voice went out.  Anyway, hoping to get some bigger time blocks to play this weekend.

I really don't see how it would be possible to make this game 100% voiced. There is so much dialogue that the expense for actors and the memory allotment on the disc would be HUGE.

The beginning doesn't have a lot of action at all, it sets things up and gets the story moving, just enjoy it like you would a movie, but once you get to the alternate world the action will kick in and from there on out it's mostly gameplay, with movies and story  sprinkled in, but not overdone like Metal Gear.

This is one of the few games I have played where I actually look forward to the movie sequences because they are so good and the animation is top notch.

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 24, 2013, 03:30:11 PM »

My order on the restock was cancelled. I got the email last night and if I look for my order on their system, it no longer exists. Definitely wish I could go back in time and order way back when it first went up. I guess I saw Amazon was selling in other countries and figured it would show up on the U.S. Amazon site.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 24, 2013, 03:33:08 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on January 24, 2013, 01:59:03 PM

Quote from: rittchard on January 24, 2013, 01:23:57 AM

I really don't see how it would be possible to make this game 100% voiced. There is so much dialogue that the expense for actors and the memory allotment on the disc would be HUGE.

The beginning doesn't have a lot of action at all, it sets things up and gets the story moving, just enjoy it like you would a movie, but once you get to the alternate world the action will kick in and from there on out it's mostly gameplay, with movies and story  sprinkled in, but not overdone like Metal Gear.

This is one of the few games I have played where I actually look forward to the movie sequences because they are so good and the animation is top notch.

I get the same way with the animated sequences.

But I also notice when we're suddenly in text-only mode, and it does feel like a letdown.  I can see that it's a practical necessity, but it's still a bit of a bummer.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: