http://gamingtrend.com
August 29, 2014, 10:34:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What do you do when...  (Read 2546 times)
aledromo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: May 24, 2004, 04:58:09 PM »

You don't get a case for a game?  I've bought a few things online, and while I usually am happy with the quality, there are times when for whatever reason I don't get a case or instructions.  Instructions are no real biggie, but damn if having a floating disk doesn't rile the collector in me.  So since I'm sure this has happened to you all at some point, I wonder what you do?  Jewel case?  Book of sleeves?  Cram them in with other games?  I wonder...

Join me or die!  Can you do any less?
Chaz
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2004, 06:14:22 PM »

I usually end up getting Official Xbox Mag, and their demo discs come in nifty see-through slimline DVD cases.  If I wind up with floating discs, I generally toss them in one of those.

You can also pick up packs of regular replacement DVD cases at most stores.

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2004, 06:22:29 PM »

Anybody know where to buy the green Xbox cases?  I have purchased quite a few used games that have crappy cases, plus the EB/Gamestop pricetags won't come off.

PS2 cases are easy since they are black.  You can buy spare DVD cases just about anywhere these days.  They don't have the memory card holder, but some of my older games didn't have them anyway.

If I could find a place that sold the demo discs for $1 or so I would buy as many as I could just to have some extras.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2004, 06:26:16 PM »

http://www.precisioncddvd.com/sihygrdvca.html

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=61645&item=4133301753&tc=photo

Just a couple options.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2004, 06:47:06 PM »

Wow, thanks for the links, coopasonic!

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2004, 06:55:19 PM »

Luckily, I save everything, so I have a ton of those America Online DVD cases they used to send their trial CDs in.

"I have purchased quite a few used games that have crappy cases, plus the EB/Gamestop pricetags won't come off."
Try Goo Gone.  I peel off what I can, and then put some Goo Gone on it, let it soak, and then the price tag usually comes right off.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2004, 07:52:57 PM »

I kept all of my 150+ games in their cases for the longest time, all with instructions, etc...  

However, I got sick of them two days ago.  They just take up too much room.  So, I bought large 260 disc folders and consolidated all of them.  It was a really good feeling!  Now, I have a lot of extra space, none of the crap floating around that didn't fit into a box, and best of all, I still have all of the games, and they're all playable.  I wouldn't recommend this for you, since you're a 'collector,' but I just wanted to share my cathartic experience.

aledromo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2004, 08:29:09 PM »

I feel like one day I may be headed that route, though.  I know the cases are unnecessary and often actually embarrassing, but I just can't let go...yet.  Maybe one day when I get to 150+, though, I'll see it differently.  I can't imagine how much room that would take up.

Join me or die!  Can you do any less?
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2004, 08:46:54 PM »

I am looking at the disc folder route myself, but I am looking for a large one made for DVD's so I can keep the manuals handy.  Unfortunately most of them only hold 10-20 discs.  I am beginning to run out of room as it is, and I doubt I will just stop buying them :lol:   I guess if I can't find that I can always put my manuals in a shoe box or something.  I can always box up the cases and save them if I need them.

In the meantime I am going to look for some of that Goo Gone.  Thanks for the tip!

Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2004, 03:46:19 AM »

Yeah, I tried the 'DVD' folders, so that I could keep the instructions with them, but it didn't work worth a damn, since you can't fit many games in when the booklets are in there, too.  So, I went the 'shoebox' route.  In fact, I just had an extra folder, that was made to hold 25 DVDs, and I removed the pages from it and put most of the instructions in there.  I threw away a lot of the instruction manuals, since most games at least have a 'configure controls' setting, and, let's face it: how often do you forget how to play a game that you've invested a lot of time in?  I tend to remember them well, so the instructions become moot.  Just make sure that you don't end up tossing any CD keys that you may have associated with PC games.

In fact, I was so happy with the consolidation that I went out and bought another 260 disc holder, and put all of my DVDs into it, and threw out their DVD cases.  The clutter-o-meter in my home has fallen 3 points.

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2004, 08:23:18 PM »

Well I am seriously considering that now, but to throw out all the cases, and in some cases, the manuals?  That is commitment!

Throwing out your DVD movie cases...  OMG. :shock:

I'm currently at about 50 PS2 games.  I think it's definately time to go with the CD folder.  It's a shame the DVD folder didn't work out, but I suspected that might be the case.  Thanks for saving me the trouble.

I have a touch of the ol' OCD, so this is a drastic step.  I place a great value on uniformity, which was why I was asking about the original green xbox cases.  I think I am satisfied enough with the aesthetics of the CD case to go ahead with it.  Hold my hand as I step into the light!

Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2004, 01:09:08 AM »

Just throw all of your instructions into a shoebox or something, and you'll not really notice the difference after a few days.  It's easier to 'browse' your games when they're in a folder like that... but then again, I find it more difficult to decide what to play, because they're all right there, in front of you, looking you in the mug!  

You'll be fine.  If you're not totally into collecting for the point of collecting, then the folder is a better option once you reach CGD (critical game density).

ericb

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2004, 01:50:09 AM »

I have a large stack of green XBox OEM cases if anyone is interested.  I would ship them at cost plus a couple dollars or maybe trade for an old game, something like that.  I have at least 20...some with the sports holograms on them if that matters.  These were all pulls from purchased games not aftermarket.  Just email me.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2004, 04:11:40 AM »

My PS2 games have migrated into a new CD folder.  VERY NICE! biggrin
It is indeed much easier to browse through them than before.  I just put my manuals in a shoebox as per the reccomendation and I couldn't be happier.  My goodness, the games only take about as much space than the console itself now.

I was actually going to construct some kind of elaborate cabinet to put in my livingroom to store all that crap in, now I can just put the CD wallet on the bookshelf.  I didn't throw out the cases, but they are now in a box tucked in the dark recesses of my closet.

Oh, and EricB - I sent you an e-mail regarding your xbox cases.  I still want to buy them from you despite the fact I might be putting my xbox titles in a disc wallet along with the PS2 stuff.  You never know when another offer might present itself!

Thanks for the advice.  I couldn't be happier with the way it worked!

Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2004, 11:24:12 AM »

I'm glad that it worked out for you!  I never perceived the boxes as clutter until they were gone, but now I realize how much visual clutter they really were.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: