http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 09:40:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What did you play this past weekend? (11/5 edition)  (Read 1835 times)
Larraque
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 05, 2007, 03:13:30 PM »

Since there's a thread on what you're buying, what about what you played over the weekend, and your thoughts on the game?

I had nothing planned this weekend, so I played 360 all weekend.

Played about 1/2 way thru Crackdown, I've taken out 10 or so gang bosses, and I'm getting close to 4 stars in all attributes. This game is the most fun I've had in a grand theft auto style game in a long time.

Played a few hours of Oblivion. I'm past 50 hours on my save game now, and I'm getting pretty tired of it. Still haven't finished the main story - stupid side quests keep pulling me aside. Having somehow turned into a vampire has killed my enjoyment of the game, because the turn-back quest sucks. Took me forever to find the grand soul gems, and then still had to go find, and I'm stuck on - of all things... garlic and nightshade leaf.

My wife bought Beautiful Katamari, because she loves wasting our money. Fun game, but feels way too short. I think I'm on the last level (plug the black hole) which would mean there's about 12 or so levels in the game. I guess the game wants you to go back and re-play the levels over and over again, but here's the thing - the levels ARE ALL THE SAME! Personally, I wouldn't've bought it. It's way too much like the other two previous katamari games and doesn't add nearly enough. It's a disappointment, in the same way vanilla cake is a disappointment when you're expecting chocolate. It's still good, just not as good as it could be. The online gameplay is difficult to figure out - I joined a world and could not figure out what the heck to do. Reading the manual may help here.

And I played 3 or 4 games of Catan. I had one game where I had my pieces on the upper part of the board , higher than everyone else's. I rolled 3 sevens in my first four rolls, and never hit anyone with the sevens. Somehow, the nice guy routine worked, and I didn't get hit by anyone who rolled a seven until near the end of the game, where I had made a road 11 spaces long, and completely blocked the entire top part of the board from everyone.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 03:31:32 PM »

Snuck some Ouendan 2 songs in here and there, got a lot of Team Fortress 2 time in, and finally finished Portal.

Other than that, spent a few hours Sunday night with some friends playing Guitar Hero 2 while everyone listened to me prattle on incessantly about Rock Band.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 03:38:53 PM »

began chapter 4 of final fantasy tactics:wotl, & finally got a dancer in my party!...

you wanna talk about a game that still looks & plays damn good after 10 years,...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 03:43:29 PM »

My illegal copy of Advance Wars as I await the seller to contact me and set things right.

Haloz on Friday night (last time until December for me with that game)

Orange Box.  Escaping escaping escaping escaping...zarg.
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 03:48:23 PM »

The Orange box. I was trying to finish it before Assassins Creed and the rest of the big hitters come in to play, but that game has some long ass drawn out levels I dont know how much more of it I can take. I also played lots of Ace Combat 6 Love that game.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2007, 05:16:52 PM by JuniorDan » Logged

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›
PS3 Spinks
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 03:49:32 PM »

I played several hours of The Simpsons Game on my 360.  Despite some mediocre gameplay mechanics, I am compelled to play because of it's classic Simpsons humor and satirical levels.  

I also played some 360 demos: Virtua Fighter 5 (not really my bag, but I didn't give it much time to learn) and Scene It (maybe if I had more occasions to play it than once a year).
« Last Edit: November 05, 2007, 03:55:07 PM by EngineNo9 » Logged

Sandwiches do fix everything.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2007, 03:51:52 PM »

Lots of Halo 3 online and some Guitar Hero 3 co-op sessions over XBL.
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2007, 03:55:32 PM »

Got some old school game action in with Dragon Quest VIII and God of War. Almost to the end of GoW, but it feels like it's taking forever. Also played a bit of TF2 and WoW.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2007, 03:58:02 PM »

I was feeling a bit nostalgic, so I fired up Jedi Knight and Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2007, 03:59:29 PM »

The Witcher and Hellgate: London.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
depward

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2007, 03:59:49 PM »

A great deal of Eye of Judgment - constantly tweaking the deck...

About five or so hours of Hellgate.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2007, 04:42:31 PM »

I worked the weekend, so my gaming was limited.  I still snuck in a bit of TF2 (I remember seeing you, wonderpug) and a little GH3.

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2007, 04:55:34 PM »

Halo 3 while enduring ATB's ravings, although that might have been Thursday, and a lil' HL2.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2007, 05:03:15 PM »

the simpsons game.....not bad...i think Hit and Run was better

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2007, 05:15:34 PM »

Several hours of Hellgate, which is a total blast so far.

Some Guitar Hero 3 co-op and solo campaign. Hit the 8th tier on Hard and the jump from everything beforehand into Raining Blood was a little stupidly difficult. RB on Hard plays like an Expert song from around the last tier of songs on GH1 or 2. That's a little ridiculous.

I also started back into Etrian Odyssey since I finished Final Fantasy 3 DS last weekend and EO is next on my DS backlog list. icon_biggrin Finally figured out my way past that first FOE on the 3rd floor, and am really digging into the game much more now!

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2007, 05:19:51 PM »

Hellgate: London still playing my beta copy.  Not convinced I will buy the game yet

TF2:  Played on some 32 player maps.  I love the chaos on 32 people battles

Conquest: Frontier Wars.  Forgot how much fun this game was.  Wasn't supposed to be a part 2 in the works?

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2007, 05:21:02 PM »

Went to the beach this weekend, so really didn't have time to game...

But the g/f and I played some Guitar Hero 2 (she's getting better, and after about a 3 month lay-off, I felt like I was playing better) and I got a little Eye of Judgment time in Sunday night.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2007, 05:24:05 PM »

Halo 3, Disgaea:AOD, Naruto:Rise of a Ninja.  That was it.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2007, 05:27:00 PM »

Finally started Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction, and gave it a good 7 hours out of my weekend. An excellent, excellent game.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2007, 05:30:05 PM »

played a bit of halo3 mp on friday, then loaded up perfect dark to see if it was any good:  it's decent, but considering i paid 5 bux for it, a good cheap diversion.  also fired up just cause (also had on the cheap) and i could see it getting some good playtime in the off times.  also did a few more missions in front mission.  while i really miss the improvements from 3/4, it's pretty fun for portable strategy.

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2007, 05:31:07 PM »

I managed to get in some playtime on R6:Vegas and Marvel Ultimate Alliance. Also played a bit of my 2nd playthrough of Metroid Prime 3. I had to help my son a bit with the last Ocean temple level in LoZ:Phantom Hourglass; so some unexpected gameplay with that game too. slywink
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2007, 05:37:49 PM »

Friday:  Headed home from an exhausting, stressful, long week at work only wanting to play some MP Halo 3 with the usual suspects and enjoy a large number of frosty cold ones.  I instead came home to a severely sick puppy covered in diarrhea and urine (as well as the area surrounding her crate).  I first had to carry the poor dog out front and hose her off as we couldn't take her to the vet covered in poop.  My wife then rushed her to the emergency pet clinic and I proceeded to begin cleaning up the war zone.  It took over three hours to clean the side of our couch and the carpet, plus another hour cleaning and scrubbing her crate.  The puppy has gastrointestinal disease and can't handle rich foods, and the treats she had the night before at Simba's advanced obedience graduation made her very ill.  Fortunately she'll be okay.  My carpet, on the other hand, is still questionable. 

We did manage to log on to play a bit of Halo 3, but after only a few games our internet connection shat out and we were just too exhausted to see if we could get back into a game.

Saturday:  Nala made it to puppy obedience graduation and participated in a variety of games (longest sit-stay, longest down-stay, musical chairs, etc).  When we got home our friends came by with their copy of Guitar Hero 3 and we played through the entire co-op campaign in one evening.  Once carpal tunnel syndrome set in and we were too drunk to play anymore we all piled on the couch and watched Transformers.

Sunday:  I spent the morning playing a bit of Oblivion (finished a few more Fighter's Guild quests), then played a bit of Bioshock and R6: Vegas (died a lot in both games and turned them off out of frustration).  Watched a little football, then played through some of the Halo 3 SP campaign on Heroic.  Once I hit a stuck point I switched over to Guitar Hero II because I had so much fun playing GH3 the previous night and am also really looking forward to Rock Band.  Improved some of my scores on Hard, and then turned on the Eagles/Cowboys game.  I thought scrubbing puppy diarrhea out of our living room carpet was the low point of my weekend.  I couldn't have been more wrong.   disgust 

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2007, 05:43:17 PM »

Bulk of my time was spent with Vampire the Masquerade:  Bloodlines.  This was my third time starting it up, and it finally 'clicked'.  It's got a few warts, but overall is a fantastic game with a great atmosphere.  Also played enough Hellgate to realize it bores me to tears, and finished a couple more story battles in Final Fantasy Tactics.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2007, 05:52:13 PM »

My weekend consisted of me spending varying amounts of time with Bioshock, Stuntman, Marvel:UA, and NHL 08.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2007, 05:59:10 PM »

I completed Metroid Prime 3 on the Wii, and unlike the two previous games, this one I was able to *truly* finish with a 100% completion rating.  By comparison, my final ratings on the first two games were something like 84% and 93% respectively.  I also played this last game in "Veteran" mode and I'm glad I did -- the game was challenging and there were several sections where I had to tread carefully, but it never felt punishingly difficult or unfair.

I'm a huge fan of the entire Metroid Prime series, and while some people complain about its deliberate pacing, the system of methodically scanning everything in your path, or the mechanic of re-exploring areas with newly acquired abilities, these are the elements that give the franchise so much character.  Samus Aran is not only a commando charging into combat with her arsenal, but also an adventurer using her available tools to explore the world, and a detective gathering clues from the environment to figure out how to proceed.

Now that the "Phazon Trilogy" has concluded, I'd love to see these game mechanics adopted for some true bounty hunting missions where Samus gets a chance to hunt down and bag some interstellar bad guys.  Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath did a great job of rewarding you for playing carefully and capturing your marks alive, and if they could combine that sort of idea with a non-linear "Choose Your Prey" mission structure and Metroid's natural elements of exploration and deduction, I think they'd hit the next big evolution of the series.

Also, I played around with the Crysis demo and the new beta of Sins of a Solar Empire, both of which are shaping up to be great games!

-Autistic Angel
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2007, 07:01:53 PM »

Played Eye of Judgmnet, Ratchet and Clank Future, Guitar Hero 3, and then a few arcade titles until my 360 went all RRoD on me.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2007, 07:15:10 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 05, 2007, 03:59:29 PM

Those and TF2.

pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2007, 12:00:55 AM »

Played some Eye of Judgment. Just got Mlb 07 the show PS3 version played for a good bit sunday very good game.

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2007, 12:04:18 AM »

A tiny dash of Ratchet & Clank, but otherwise I've had zero time for gaming.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2007, 12:45:31 AM »

all my gaming time went to GH3 solo play...might have done some multiplayer if i could actually get it to connect to another quickmatch player...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2007, 12:56:27 AM »

Pretty much just played some Halo 3 mp (team objective for the most part). Good times... Halo is meant to keep me busy until my birthday (Nov 30th) when my wife has been informed I am suposed to get Mass Effect.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2007, 01:41:40 AM »

Quote from: ROTC1983 on November 05, 2007, 07:15:10 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on November 05, 2007, 03:59:29 PM

Those and TF2.

You know, I haven't touched TF2 in a couple of weeks.....

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
faide
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2007, 01:55:06 AM »

Had a fun GH3 party on Friday night , then had a lan party on Sat with TF2 and some Hellgate thrown in smile

Was a good gaming weekend !

HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2007, 01:39:09 PM »

Simpsons and Ratchet and Clank as my 360 is still at the Betty Ford Clinic.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2007, 03:48:41 PM »

Quote from: DragonFyre on November 05, 2007, 03:13:30 PM

Since there's a thread on what you're buying, what about what you played over the weekend, and your thoughts on the game?

I had nothing planned this weekend, so I played 360 all weekend.

Played about 1/2 way thru Crackdown, I've taken out 10 or so gang bosses, and I'm getting close to 4 stars in all attributes. This game is the most fun I've had in a grand theft auto style game in a long time.

Played a few hours of Oblivion. I'm past 50 hours on my save game now, and I'm getting pretty tired of it. Still haven't finished the main story - stupid side quests keep pulling me aside. Having somehow turned into a vampire has killed my enjoyment of the game, because the turn-back quest sucks. Took me forever to find the grand soul gems, and then still had to go find, and I'm stuck on - of all things... garlic and nightshade leaf.

On Crackdown, send me an invite if you ever see "Purge" online.. I'm always up for some Co-op.

On Oblivion, I ended up keeping the vampirism as it's SO POWERFUL. biggrin The immunities, the bonus stats... if a challenge is too hard, sleep 24 hours and go at it again. icon_twisted

Oh, I take it you're not willing to steal. Best place to get that stuff is the market section in the capitol... I forget the shop name, but you can just buy those.. (it's on the outside perimeter of the city section IIRC). You can also get them from inside the Wizards section of town too. I think I just stole mine from one of the local Wizards guild chapters. Did you get the lizardman blood (I can't believe I've forgotten all the names already... erm... ARGONIAN!) on the blade yet? That one took me forever as I was only being thief, not murderer. I eventually found a victim for it, but I also wasn't in a rush to get my hands on the cure... it was just another quest for me.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2007, 03:54:44 PM »

Oh Weekend Playlist:

Halo3 for the multiplayer mayhem that is hosted by our venerable PeteRock, and Rainbow 6: Vegas to wrap up the single player.

I have 2 save points left (Irena and rooftop) in the Dam.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: