http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 09:15:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What descriptions can kill your interest in a game?  (Read 1552 times)
Gratch
Gaming Trend Senior Member

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« on: July 19, 2005, 02:19:44 AM »

I was skimming through the latest Game Informer, and I decided there are a few words that, when used in a pre/review, completely kill my interest in a game.

"Action RPG" - I mostly play RPG's, and they are by far my favorite genre of game.  But I can count on one hand the number of "action RPG's" that I've enjoyed.  If I'm going to play an RPG, I much prefer traditional turn based battle systems.  If I know a game is going to require good twitch reflexes, I'm out.

"Frantic Action" - See above.  I lost my ability to twitch-game about 10 years ago.  I'm just horrible at it now.

"Open ended" - Sometimes (rarely) this can be a good thing, but I despise games that don't give a clear indicator of what to do next.  There's nothing I hate more than wandering around a game world with no clue as to how to progress the story.

"On line" - I know it's becoming very uncommon, but I am a solitary gamer.  I don't enjoy playing either with or against other people.

"Futuristic shooter" or "military shooter" - I'm not big on shooters in general, but add 'futuristic' or 'military' and you've completely lost my interest.

If I see any of the above words and/or descriptions in a review, I usually know it's a game I won't much enjoy.  Curious as to what other people's are.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2005, 02:45:08 AM »

Whenever I see the words "back-tracking" I punch a kitten.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2005, 02:47:31 AM »

Really no game description bothers me like that. I just try em all and see. I dont see any points to having preconcieved notions unless its a particular genre I don't care for.
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2005, 02:50:17 AM »

"High encounter rate" -  Skies of Arcadia, Digital Devil Saga - Nocturne, Suikoden 4 (okay yeah, not the only thing wrong with THAT game), etc. etc. If I'm trying to get from point A to point B, I'd rather I didn't have to get into a combat every 3 seconds. And I wish I was exaggerating.

"Simple plot" - I need a bit more meat in my steak than the bare bones (You must go to X. Why? Because you must. ). I'm not asking for the next War and Peace. Just give me a reason that's more than just "because".

"Horrible voice acting" - Especially, if it can't be turned off. Bad voice acting hurts me. My ears are precious to me, so I'd rather not have them suffer so. I mean come on, at least TRY to act, for crying out loud. Not a biggie, but it is a pet peeve of mine.

"Action RPG" - As above, I also mostly play RPGs, and with the days of everything being an Action RPG, that usually means repetition in fighting (slash, slash, hack, hack, death, repeat) to the Xtreme. See Kingdom Hearts (sorry, TML!) for this. Not even its high production values could save it for me.

Now, none of these really "kill" the interest for me, but they sure as heck'll make me a lot more patient in deciding whether to spend my money on it.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2005, 03:40:46 AM »

"AI teammates " -- I have yet to play any squad-based shooter that had decent AI teammates. Either the AI teammates make the game too easy (Star Wars: Republic Commando), or make a game babysitting exercise (Rainbow Six, Ghost Recon), or have zero impact on a game (Halo 2).

"Cam Clarke" -- Now it's not that he's a terrible voice actor; it's just that his voice is so distinctive and easily recognizable. He's in so many games that I spend as much time thinking about the other characters he's done than I do about the game I'm currently playing.

"Vehicles" -- I don't know what it is but I absolutely loathe vehicles in an FPS.  I just find the controls so arcade-like with no learning curve that it feels like a slightly more sophisticated Duck Hunt. Make things a little more complex or have some sort of learning curve when it comes to a vehicle. I hated Halo 2's vehicles because all the vehicles controlled exactly the same.

"Resource Management" -- Zzzzzzz. I like squad-based tactical straetgy games, but I swear to God the first time I have to place a mine or factory on a map, the game gets uninstalled.

"Peter Molyneaux" -- Not gonna buy it; nope, no way.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2005, 03:55:27 AM »

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I'm afraid "turn-based" is a death knell for me.  I've enjoyed a few, but I really prefer to fight the fight myself.  But that's why I like "action RPG's" because I love to explore, level up, use alchemy and magic, etc. - I just don't usually like to "program" the fight. Tongue

"Great arcade action" on a game case pretty well kills it for me.  Even "button masher" doesn't shoot it back to the bin as fast as that though it's usually not too far behind.  

Not sure what they call these - but the ones where you have to repeat levels to aim for a perfect rating, like Crimson Sea or LOTR Return of the King (which were the two exceptions that I loved) - I generally avoid those.  Besides being too painful to play, they seem unfair:  the best players get perfect ratings, so get better and more items, faster - it should be the other way around, wouldn't you think? :?

"Squad-based" and "Strategy" usually help kill a game too - but it's not the game's fault, usually.  I just suck at the first, and couldn't care less about the other.  My favorite Squad-based game was Brute Force, and I was so bad at keeping my people alive that I had to leave them behind - and call them up when the character I chose finished the area! :lol:

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2005, 04:05:42 AM »

Quote from: "mytocles"
I guess I'm in the minority here, but I'm afraid "turn-based" is a death knell for me.  I've enjoyed a few, but I really prefer to fight the fight myself.  But that's why I like "action RPG's" because I love to explore, level up, use alchemy and magic, etc. - I just don't usually like to "program" the fight. Tongue

I hate turn based as well.  I dont have the patience to sit there and watch computer controlled beings do their thing.  I like to push a button and see results.  Games like Kotor would be soooo much more fun if I could swing my lightsaber when I push the button, not wait for enemy fire, then swing, then miss, and then repeat the whole process.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2005, 04:10:34 AM »

Quote from: "Andrew Mallon"
"AI teammates " -- I have yet to play any squad-based shooter that had decent AI teammates. Either the AI teammates make the game too easy (Star Wars: Republic Commando), or make a game babysitting exercise (Rainbow Six, Ghost Recon), or have zero impact on a game (Halo 2).

"Cam Clarke" -- Now it's not that he's a terrible voice actor; it's just that his voice is so distinctive and easily recognizable. He's in so many games that I spend as much time thinking about the other characters he's done than I do about the game I'm currently playing.

"Vehicles" -- I don't know what it is but I absolutely loathe vehicles in an FPS.  I just find the controls so arcade-like with no learning curve that it feels like a slightly more sophisticated Duck Hunt. Make things a little more complex or have some sort of learning curve when it comes to a vehicle. I hated Halo 2's vehicles because all the vehicles controlled exactly the same.

"Resource Management" -- Zzzzzzz. I like squad-based tactical straetgy games, but I swear to God the first time I have to place a mine or factory on a map, the game gets uninstalled.

Who the hell is cam clarke?
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2005, 04:16:58 AM »

Cam Clarke
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2005, 04:37:56 AM »

Good Grief!  :shock:

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2005, 04:44:56 AM »

cell shading Iam in to realism.

respawning characters If I killed you why should I have to do it again if I return to that area.

lineer it next gen. I should options and choices in the quest I take.

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›
PS3 Spinks
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2005, 07:01:55 AM »

Extensive FMV and angst-ridden melodrama.

I'm also sick of giant boobs on the female characters.  I don't like big boobs.  Yet I do consider myself a breast man.  Hmm...  I could go on and on about this subject.

I'm about to be sick of anything that is compared to GTA since that has yet to produce anything worth playing.

Finally, "2D gameplay in a 3D environment" or anything described similarly.  See above.

Seriously, about the breasts, I just don't know where this whole "bigger is better" idea comes from.  It's just so wrong.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2005, 08:30:48 AM »

Quote from: "GatorFavre"
Quote from: "mytocles"

I hate turn based as well.  I dont have the patience to sit there and watch computer controlled beings do their thing.  I like to push a button and see results.  Games like Kotor would be soooo much more fun if I could swing my lightsaber when I push the button, not wait for enemy fire, then swing, then miss, and then repeat the whole process.

Jade Empire proves that even when you change something from turn-based to real-time, it can still suck  :twisted:

TheMissingLink on PSN
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2005, 12:57:33 PM »

For me it would be

"RTS"  Hate em.  

"MMO" (or variations)  I like my single player games.  I am really sick of the trend to make games which are mostly on-line.  It feels like the same thing as "reality shows" in that they don't want to make a good plot with good acting so they leave it up to the fans to do it.

Of course any review which says a game is very difficult, or made the reviewer want to break their controler - I am out, out out.  Those guys are professionals so if they find the game fustratingly difficult I know that I will want to quit after the first 5 minutes.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2005, 01:39:53 PM »

For me?  It has to be "From the Japanese Manga" or "From the Japanese Anime" or "Featuring voices from the Movie!".   All three of those are recipes for disaster most of the time.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
JayG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2005, 02:26:57 PM »

World War 2 FPS. It seems that they are the only type being released nowadays. And film tie ins.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2005, 03:45:47 PM »

Quote from: "Andrew Mallon"

Damn, that was mine. biggrin Let me also add:

"Created by Bungie."

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2005, 04:22:11 PM »

Quote from: "juniordan"
respawning characters If I killed you why should I have to do it again if I return to that area.

way up there on my list also...

but #1 = fps. i don't mind slipping in'n'out of first person (mgs, fatal frame), but i've just never enjoyed moving around in a game in first person - not having peripheral vision just doesn't feel right...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
warning

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2005, 04:26:22 PM »

Respawning enemies definitely gets the axe from me.

"Featurning a hip-hop soundtrack..." or containing a cameo by Snoop Dog also.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2005, 04:30:43 PM »

ps:

Quote from: "stiffler"
I'm also sick of giant boobs on the female characters.  I don't like big boobs.

can we agree to disagree on this?...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2005, 05:29:18 PM »

I've always wanted to live in an anime world...as a chiropractor.  I'll be rich, plus, well, every woman is *Endowed*.

Insta-game killers:
MMO or MP - I'm anti-social.  That's why I game.  I hate the movement to make us all 'join the collective'.  AS for Steam....

Simultaneous Turn Based - Have the cojones to make an RT game or a TB one - don't think by splitting the middle that you solved the problem. NO, you made it worse.

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: