http://gamingtrend.com
August 01, 2014, 08:30:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What compelled you to go Console?  (Read 6345 times)
Jack Burton
Gaming Trend Reader

I am NOT Simon Cowell!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2004, 04:35:06 PM »

First of all, I've been playing games since 1979 (when I was 3) I'm serious!  Apple, TRS-80, Commodore.. blah blah. So I'm a PC gamer.  BUT I'm also a console lover.  Here's why I love both systems and some points on what makes them great in their own respect:

PC GAMES:
-Much higher capability for depth/Complexity:
examples: Civilization, Sim City, Railroad Tycoon, Hegemonia, Master of Magic/Orion, Heroes of Might and Magic, Warlords, Imperium Galactica, any wargame (good luck finding one on a console!)
-More flexible and accurate controls:(this will change with the addition of a common mouse and keyboard for the consoles)
examples:  Any FPS (DOOM, Half-life, tac-ops, bf1942), any RTS (mouse), any game where typing is required
-Easily expandible and upgradeable
-Games are moddable:examples: Counter-strike, Tac-ops, Freespace mods, Far-cry mods, MOO3 mods, the list goes on and on

CONSOLE GAMES:
-Able to play anywhere easily (in bed or living room)
-Geared towards easy pick up and play
-More action game oriented
-Have a special variety of RPG games that can't be found on the PC:
examples: Final Fantasy, Zelda, Symphonia, Dark Cloud

-Platformersexamples: Mario, Castlevania, mega man (some can be found on PC but its just not the same)
-Easy controls (except for FPS IMHO) and Easy to Learn

Theres a ton more I could say about the two but it really comes down to mood for me.  Do I feel like a light game or do I want to dig in for a long time?  I grab a think manual start a game of MOO or CIV or SimGOLF if I want to dig in and play for a while and engage my brain.  If I'm going to bed and want an hour of play I'll pick up a game of Disgaea or Final Fantasy or Castlevania or Zelda.  

QUICK NOTE:  I've got a meeting in a bit I'll add more later smile

What the...?
PJ Lorenz
Godzilla Blitz
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2004, 07:01:43 PM »

I think you'll enjoy your X-box. I just did the same thing as you a couple of months ago, and have been glad I did. The graphics are more than adequate.

Although I tend to like genres of games on the PC (turn-based strategy, text sims) more than the dominant types of games available on the X-box (action), I have been happy with my X-box purchase. I like the sports games, and there are outstanding titles available in most other genres.

One of the reasons that I'm glad I purchased a console is the that ratio of gaming time available to time spent gaming is high. More often, with a PC game, I'm finding that it often takes me a half hour or more from the time I open a new game to the time I start playing it. Patching, mods, installation, and bugs eat up time, and with a family and two jobs I often only have a half hour or so at the end of the day to play. With the X-box, I can consistently sit down and dig in and start playing in a couple of minutes.

Having said that, I still enjoy my PC more because of the dearth of strategy and text-sim titles on the consoles.

As far as games go, you might want to check Toys 'R Us. They might still have their "green-sticker" sale going on, which means that any green sticker game is half price at the register. I got ten games there for less than $150 (Gladius, Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, Time Splitters 2, etc.) when I first bought my system, and they'll keep me busy for a while. Otherwise, ESPN Football and Madden are solid buys, and all the ESPN sports games are only $20 each.

Eliot
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2004, 07:43:54 PM »

Excellent input from all, much appreciate the comments. The first few days and I am really enjoying and beginning to understand and appreciate the comments from users.

Since I do not have broadband (except a DSL line I can use at work), is there any other way to grab patches from the net, via CD, etc?
Butterknife
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2004, 09:09:44 PM »

I had a completely different reason for getting a console:  My kids are starting to get older now, and they wanted to play on Daddy's PC when Daddy wanted to play.

So Daddy bought a Gamecube, along with some Mario games, and a few for myself such as Skies of Arcadia and Gladius.  But buying the games for myself turned out to be a waste, because now Mommy and the kids hog the Gamecube all the time (Super Mario Sunshine being the current favorite).

So I'm back to being a pretty much exclusive PC gamer again.   Oh well, at least I'll be getting Rome Total War time this weekend! smile
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2004, 09:33:38 PM »

Quote from: "Eliot"
Excellent input from all, much appreciate the comments. The first few days and I am really enjoying and beginning to understand and appreciate the comments from users.

Since I do not have broadband (except a DSL line I can use at work), is there any other way to grab patches from the net, via CD, etc?

most patches are for online components... I'd suggest watching the official Xbox magazines for updates to your games. ( occasionally you get addn'l levels or addons).

Since the free months come in a lot of games, I wouldn't be shy about trying it out at work (on the weekends of course) Be warned though, you might just enjoy it. slywink

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2004, 08:24:57 PM »

I bought a GameCube for the sole purpose of playing Animal Crossing. That one game has logged half a zillion hours at my house between myself, wife & daughter. We added to the fun with Mario Golf, Mario Kart Double Dash, Pac Man Vs, and Bomberman Tournament. The console is strictly a family gaming device - no stuff that's inappropriate for the kids.

I still game on the PC and we also have three Gameboy Advances.

They all peacefully co-exist together, serve different purposes and I wouldn't want to be without any of them.

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2004, 10:20:39 PM »

Halo2, Fortza Motorsport, Jade Empire, Falbe, NFSU2, Midnight Club 3, and GTA:SA compelled me to go console.

Tired of driving games on the PC cause I don't want a bulky wheel and pedals setup.  The gamepad works real nice on the xbox/PS2.  Whole new feel to GTA being able to drive with a pad instead of with a digital keyboard.
Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2004, 03:36:42 PM »

Quote from: "Eliot"
Okay got Crimson Skies and Burnout 3, why not Halo 2? (other than the fact it isn't out yet?)

To compare them.
vagabond
BANNED
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 02, 2004, 05:35:08 PM »

Well until a couple years ago I was purely a computer gamer ever since the commodore 64. I never even owned a console. I don't like the arcade style, platformers that were the mainstay of consoles. However, recently the games for consoles are better than the ones for PC's. There are many more RPG's for consoles and most of those for PC you can also play on a console. I think the PC is dying as a primary game platform. Primarily due to cost. I can sell a console game back for 30+ of the 50 I paid for it. Not so computer games.  Also when I bought the Xbox primarily to play morrowind. at the time I did not have a DVD or CD player attached to my stereo system. Thus for 300 bucks I got both those and a game system. No brainer at the time. Now I am hooked and I have all 3 consoles. Last computer game I bought was CIV 3. Long time ago.  I have no desire at this time to buy a computer game, nor buy a new computer to play anything. I have plenty of console games to play as it is. My taste has also changed over the years. I used to play all kinds of grognard type wargames and stuff, because back then there were far fewer things to occupy my time. Now with high speed internet, 300 tv channels, online gaming. There are just too many other things to do for me to find it attractive to play a game several times just to get good enough to play it.

Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 02, 2004, 08:25:01 PM »

Quote from: "Fuzzballx"

Tired of driving games on the PC cause I don't want a bulky wheel and pedals setup.  The gamepad works real nice on the xbox/PS2.  Whole new feel to GTA being able to drive with a pad instead of with a digital keyboard.

Man, that is soooo me. I used to be a PC driving game nut, and I got the nice Logi MOMO wheel and pedals (3+ years ago).  I got to where I dreaded lugging that 100 lbs of stuff out of the closet, fighting with wires, power blocks, etc.  Now I LOVE driving on the console with PGR2, Rallisport Challenge 2, Gran Turismo 3, etc. I was very surprised at what  a good job they did to make the driving games work so well with the gamepads. The key is the analog thumbsticks, and on the xbox, the analog triggers. Just pick up the controller and go at it. Perfect!
vagabond
BANNED
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2004, 03:42:01 AM »

I got Project Gotham played with the controller and after a week or two my girl got me a driving wheel. I had to learn how to play the game all over again. I didn't enjoy playing with the wheel nearly as much as the controller and exchanged the wheel for another game. biggrin  They didn't have controllers when they invented cars or perhaps they would have controllers instead of "wheels" but just because a car has a wheel doesn't mean that is the best way to control the game, nor does it mean it is more fun that way. Just different.

JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2004, 02:01:13 PM »

GTA: Vice City
I could not wait for the pc version.

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ()  ()  ()
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ()  ()  ()
PS3 Spinks
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: