http://gamingtrend.com
December 20, 2014, 12:53:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What Collector's Edition purchase do you regret most?  (Read 911 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: December 31, 2013, 08:43:54 AM »

For me it was my Lifetime Subscription to Hellgate: London.   *shudder*   What game(s) did you feel like you got burned most with?  Did you buy the loader CE for Aliens: Colonial Marines?

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 09:00:00 AM »

It's sad to say its probably Final Fantasy XIV A Realm Reborn,because as soon as i got it i practically stopped playing,having been playing in the beta for so long,the CE now collects dust in the cupboard

It is a nice CE though

Dead Rising 2,you got the steelbook case and the syringe pen and a second disc,i only bought the collection for the steelbook so it would look good next to Dead Rising 1 steelbook,unfortunately it was a steelbook that was all silver and did not have anything on the spine like my DR1 steelbook..so,dumb move by me there

Far Cry 3 would probably make the list as well,i bought the CE,with the bobblehead etc...but i got 100%(both ingame and achievement-wise) within a week,so i thought what the hell,and traded it in

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 10:40:28 AM »

probably the Neverwinter Hero of the North pack.  Liked the game but did not play enough to justify the cost.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 11:13:15 AM »

Ultima.
IX.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 01:17:28 PM »

Quote from: Suitably Ironic Moniker on December 31, 2013, 11:13:15 AM

Ultima.
IX.
This.  What an expensive waste of cardboard and cheap trinkets.

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 02:03:18 PM »

Wracking my brain for a collector's edition that I actually bought.

Don't know that I've ever actually purchased one though several did pique my interest.

I wish I had gotten the original Bioshock one though..
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 02:31:12 PM »

I've actually only bought one special edition game in my life, and that was Forza 5. At $80, that makes it the most money I've ever spent on a single game besides MMOs. I don't really regret the purchase as I really like the game, but I think I could have just as easiily bought the regular edition without missing the extra cars.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013, 03:15:31 PM »

I wonder if someone regrets this one:

Because I can,
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2013, 03:22:53 PM »

Quote from: ATB on December 31, 2013, 02:03:18 PM

Wracking my brain for a collector's edition that I actually bought.

Same here.  I usually steer clear of them so no buyers remorse here.  smile

Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2013, 03:44:49 PM »

The Diablo III collectorís edition is probably the closest I have to regret, but even then I donít feel like I wasted my money.  Generally, I only buy them once they have been heavily discounted.  I picked up the Skyrim CE for $70 about a month after the game came out, so for an extra $20 I got a pretty cool dragon statue. 
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2013, 03:50:30 PM »

Warhammer Online.  Ended up not really liking the game and only bought it because I saw it behind the counter at Gamestop when I had traded a bunch of games in and wanted the game.  Went with the CE for no real reason.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
JayDee

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2013, 03:54:42 PM »

I bought one for WarCraft 3, thought the stuff was cool for like 2 days and then they sat in a closet untouched for years. Never bought another one again.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2013, 04:38:43 PM »

I bet Ron is regretting buying the SMF Forum CK edition.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
:)
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2013, 04:38:47 PM »

Quote from: Caine on December 31, 2013, 01:17:28 PM

Quote from: Suitably Ironic Moniker on December 31, 2013, 11:13:15 AM

Ultima.
IX.
This.  What an expensive waste of cardboard and cheap trinkets.

I liked the box.  it was so excessive.

Because I can,
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2013, 04:49:38 PM »

Spore. I fell into the hype and was so excited for the game. Played it once, never got by the RTS stage. Hated it. Paid something like $90 for the CE too.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2013, 04:55:43 PM »

As a rule, I don't buy them because so many are preorder and I like to read reviews and impressions before I buy. The only ones I've bought are some of the Halo and Legend of Zelda CE's and I didn't regret any of those. If it can be counted as a CE, I did buy the Metal Gear HD collection for 360 and it reminded me how much I really dislike some of the games in that series. I traded it in the same month I bought it.
Travis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2013, 05:07:47 PM »

Ultima 9 was the first and last collector's edition I have purchased.  Learned my lesson with that one.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2013, 05:56:47 PM »

Diablo III for sure.  It seemed like such a no brainer that this would be a great game.  When I was actually able to play the game I found that I didn't like it very much, so I only put a few hours into it.  I'm hoping the patches and expansion can maybe fix it, but I may just get the PS4 version instead. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2013, 06:13:00 PM »

God of War 3
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2013, 07:16:33 PM »

Wasn't a CE but life-timed Champions Online for $200 x 2. Ugh.

That was certainly my most regretful game purchase to date. I actually don't think I've ever purchased a physical CE version of a game. But will frequently get the digital Deluxe/CE equivalent for quite a few games. But if there was one I kinda wish I had it would be that Dead Island Zombie Bait Edition - the one with the decapitated bikini babe statue. Its so uniquely disgusting probably not many people have it and would just love it for the rarity.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2014, 03:18:14 AM »

Starcraft 2 (Part 1 of 3). Didn't play the game itself for more than 30 minutes. Apparently I'm not a fan of RTS games anymore. Or just have had a falling out with Blizzard (didn't buy Diablo 3).

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Jumangi

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2014, 04:36:53 AM »

Half-Life 2. Great game of course but cheap ass collectors edition. Last one I ever bought.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2014, 04:49:32 AM »

I would say ultima 9, but I sold it for $100 a couple of years ago.  Not complaining.
soulbringer
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2014, 05:59:48 AM »

City of Hero's waste of money bigtime along with the Warhammer online CE.  Best investment evah so far has been LotrO Lifetime subscription.  Still play from time to time and Ive never had to pay for an expansion. 
Harpua3

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2014, 07:31:44 AM »

Quote from: Jumangi on January 01, 2014, 04:36:53 AM

Half-Life 2. Great game of course but cheap ass collectors edition. Last one I ever bought.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Same here. Identical story.
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2014, 07:59:12 AM »

I don't buy many, but one impulse purchase burned me, Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor collector edition.  I got a little gold box fever there, and it put me of CE's for years.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2014, 01:54:09 PM »

Put me in the Ultima IX: Ascension club as well.  Not only was the game itself riddled with bugs, plot holes, and performance problems -- the "Dragon Edition" box was way too big and EA didn't bother to secure anything inside.  Manuals, tarot cards, lore books, and CDs banging around with zero padding practically guaranteed half the contents arrived damaged.

Also, as great as *most* of it was, I think the CE of Batman: Arkham City deserves a special mention for not including a case for the game.  The disc was just left to slide around in a little "drawer" underneath the statue.  I wound up buying one of the Canadian steelbook cases through eBay for another $15 just so it wouldn't get damaged over time.

Note to game publishers: fancy statues and clever packaging does not void your responsibility to provide basic amenities like DVD cases. icon_confused

-Autistic Angel
Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2014, 02:13:46 PM »

It would have to be the only one I ever bought: Oblivion. I was just so into the hype for that game, and had been waiting for it to come out for what seemed like for ever. Then I never really looked at any of the stuff and just played the game. Taught me a lesson though, so it wasn't all bad.
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2014, 07:44:57 PM »

I've never actually bought one. I guess because I'm never a big enough fan to splurge on them, and when they get close to $100 (which they often do in Canada), they become easy to resist.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2014, 08:43:39 PM »

If I had a good place to put them I would consider getting a collection of nice collectors edition figures, but I don't, so all I ever get is the standard edition or on occasion a mid-tier edition that comes with some extra in-game stuff.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2014, 10:44:20 PM »

Star Wars: The Old Republic, the launch CE with the huge Darth statue. The statue taunts me in my computer room every day. I canceled my SWTOR subscription again the other day. I enjoyed my revisit for a couple months back in January but really, the CE purchase was extremely stupid.  icon_redface I enjoyed the late beta and got carried away.

Now if they'd let you pay after launch to get a statue that size of my actual game character, that would be awesome (3-D printers are becoming more and more commonplace commodities now, though painting said creation might be more than any company could afford for a CE statue).

I don't really regret my earlier (2007) Tabula Rasa CE purchase per se. The CE book it came with was cool and had some helpful basic game advice. Just if I knew the game's plug would get pulled so relatively fast, I probably wouldn't have gone CE on it.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 10:51:50 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2014, 02:07:24 AM »

Quote from: YellowKing on December 31, 2013, 02:31:12 PM

I've actually only bought one special edition game in my life, and that was Forza 5. At $80, that makes it the most money I've ever spent on a single game besides MMOs. I don't really regret the purchase as I really like the game, but I think I could have just as easiily bought the regular edition without missing the extra cars.

Had I an $80 gift card instead of the $50 one....I would have bought this in a second.

I am....Migaloo
Rest in Peace, Nan & Star
XBL Schins67
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2014, 10:11:44 PM »

i paid an extra $1.88 for the Deus Ex: Augmented Edition and never looked at any of the bonus materials. waaaah
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: