http://gamingtrend.com
August 29, 2014, 04:41:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What changes and improvements would you make for GTA 4?  (Read 1846 times)
Clay
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: July 18, 2006, 12:57:17 PM »

I want an Xbox 360 with a copy of Oblivion very badly.  So, to distract myself from an impulse purchase that I cannot currently support, I started to play GTA: San Andreas again. What a big, good, diverse game.  Normally, I would try to progress through all of the missions, but I got so irritated with the Ballas that I've only done a few missions and I'm hell-bent on eradicating them from the map.  It's been all turf wars and I've almost got them.

All of that got me thinking...  how could GTA 4 be better?  Do we know any details about it?  Here are some thoughts from me:

- While there's an appeal to being the guy on the street doing all of the dirty work (and this should by no means go away), it would be cool to also have more of an economic model built in.  For instance, you could also be responsible for managing a mafia family's business (expanding business, setting up safe routes for import/export of illegal things) and then protecting that business.  

- I would love to see the NPCs be a little more interactive.

- Get rid of the stuff where part of the map is inaccessible from the beginning.  Hell, if the player wants to go there, let 'em.  

- A bowling minigame.   biggrin

- For the love of god, a better minimap.  If I sit 4 feet from a 36" television, I still cannot tell what the hell is going on with the minimap.  

- Reworking of the Pay 'n Spray system.  It always seems strange to have 10 cops on my tail, only to pull into a garage and suddenly they've forgotten about me.  

How about locations?  We've got the Godfather-esque thing from the first one, the Miami Vice-esque thing from the second, and the Gangsta thing from the third.  What else is there?

It might be interesting to have the third either occur in multiple countries, say, on the border between two countries or allowing jet flight between countries.  Trying to run an international crime syndicate across a border would be interesting.  

Anyhow, those are my thoughts for now.  I'd love to hear any if you have them.

xbox live: nude rick james
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 03:12:00 PM »

I'd like to see those damn Dance Dance Revolution like sequences go away.  Also, I'd like to see a main mission storyline that can continue on if you fail a mission.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
FlyingElvis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 03:28:54 PM »

Better on foot controls. So many of the missions are difficult simply because of poor camera and controls. For instance, you should be able to push against walls and peek around corners.

It's pretty frustrating getting shot in the back because of the camera.

Now playing: Oblivion, X3: The Reunion
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2006, 03:58:56 PM »

Stop while they're ahead?  You know, I used to love me some GTA, but the series has just gotten old and stale for me.  There's only so many times I can run around commit crimes and I think I've reached my limit.

I really theink they've done some innovative things in video gaming with their whole open-ended thing, but I think I'd like them to do something else with it (like Mercenaries did).  Something sci-fi might be nice smile.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2006, 04:02:54 PM »

- Controls
- Targeting
- Controls
- Targeting
- Targeting
- Targeting
- Controls

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2006, 04:16:51 PM »

Quote from: "Dimmona"
- Controls
- Targeting
- Controls
- Targeting
- Targeting
- Targeting
- Controls

+1

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2006, 04:36:33 PM »

Multiplayer.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2006, 04:53:04 PM »

Make it a top down view again like GTA 1&2, release it on the Nintendo DS with the D-pad for movement/steering, the stylus for aiming weapons, and the top screen to constantly display a nice big map.  Oh, and have it use the WiFi connection for multiplayer, of course.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2006, 05:53:02 PM »

GTA on any Nintendo system would be the day! Although it'd certainly help out their "kids only" image they have.

More interactive NPC's definitely.. more realism. It's too easy to go on killing sprees in GTA San Andreas and go unchecked. If you're beating an old lady walking slowly to death in the street, in real life, chances are a few of the pedestrians would come to her aid.
Also you can head up to a building or up stairs and the police rarely (if ever chase you, not because they aren't targeting you, but because of the poor AI pathfinding.

GTA Liberty City Stories on the PSP was a good first attempt, but the law enforcement AI does absolutely nothing. I go on killing sprees all the time, even killing cops, and they never come after me. Going up to a cop car and beating it the cop gets out for a second, gets back in, and runs like crazy. I hijack a nearby truck, chase him down, and ram him into walls until his car blows up with him in it. No other cops come to his aid.
And killing civilians in the street is easy, cops just walk by like I'm not doing anything.
The only guys who do anything are the mafia guys in the black suits, if I attack one of them, the other guys in the group will come to his aid.
Severly, severly disapointed in the law enforcement AI in the PSP version.

Got a little sidetracked there, but definitely, more interactive NPC's, more realistic AI, and maybe some type of companion system where you can recruit AI-controlled fighters to join up with you (like Freedom Fighters) might help make the world seem less "lonely" in singleplayer.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2006, 06:00:48 PM »

The ability to play a GOOD GUY!  I can't play games where I'm a thug or a bad guy.  It is not in my nature.

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Moatman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2006, 06:14:33 PM »

I think my key wish would be a way to adjust difficulty, I always get stuck on some timed mission along the way, usually towards the end of the game.  Difficulty meter would adjust damage you take and do on foot and in vehicles, adjust time on timed missions, and make stars decay on their own or do something to stop the cops.  And it would have to be adjustable mid-game for hard missions, that would make me quite happy.

I loved the directions that San Andreas went in, with the huge multi-city setup and skills/stats to work on, plus tons of properties to buy all over.  I love having lots of things to do besides just storyline missions, just goofing around in gta games is a game in and of itself.

Next I'd like to see a storyline with actual branching, I'm sure this would make it tough to see all the content, but it adds to variety in gameplay and a reason to replay.  Maybe just mission giving contacts that open up from various things you do while not on missions, like a gang hears about you robbing stores and wants to recruit you, a group of hitmen hear how you are great with headshots or sniping and they want to hire you, etc

I agree on the more interactive npc's and opening up everything in the beginning.  I wish the early rumors from san andreas of npc's who actually went about their own lives, going to work, going to eat, going home, all that kind of thing.  I'd love to be able to stalk the people in the game to find people with good ways for me to make money or power.

Also I guess being able to enter all the buildings, even if they aren't all amazing or anything, just a great aspect of detail and immersion.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2006, 06:20:34 PM »

The ability to play a GOOD GUY! I can't play games where I'm a thug or a bad guy. It is not in my nature.

The GOOD GUY?!?! You sir, need to turn over your man card! (Wait, you already did that when you admited to "catching up" on Charmed  :wink:)

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2006, 06:30:03 PM »

I'm shocked at how long it took before someone said 'interiors'.  Sooner or later, hardware will make it cable to just wander into buildings.  This would be a great future feature for the GTA series to add.  The ability to play a relatively straight guy would be cool, too.  They would have to have a braching storyline for people who want to play a 'redemptive' storyline.

[OH, and when I saw the thread title, I knew immediately someone would post a 'they can stop making them!' comment.  Kudos to you, Discojason, for keeping my view of the human race intact.]

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2006, 06:40:45 PM »

Quote from: "Ralph-Wiggum"
Multiplayer.

I agree!  We need a huge online game of cops and robbers!  The robbers would have objectives like find and kill Mr. So-and-so and the cops would have to protect him.  Or something like the robbers get a location to pull off a robbery but the cops dont know where until the alarm goes off.  Then the robbers would have a certain ammount of time to pull off the robbery before the heat arrives.  This would lead to either the robbers getting busted for taking to long in the robbery or a nice high speed chase.  There are a ton of possibilities and even a deathmatch would be fun!

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2006, 06:54:15 PM »

i remember people asking what they could add for before san andreas came out...so rockstar pretty much put them all in ...then people complained,LOL

i think that perhaps,rockstar should just leave it as it is......and just change the city,get more famous people doing voice overs and commercials on the radio and have lots of different type of missions

that would suit me anyway

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2006, 07:01:46 PM »

Quote from: "corruptrelic"
The ability to play a GOOD GUY! I can't play games where I'm a thug or a bad guy. It is not in my nature.

The GOOD GUY?!?! You sir, need to turn over your man card! (Wait, you already did that when you admited to "catching up" on Charmed  :wink:)

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
And still loving CHARMED!  I'm about halfway through Season 1 on DVD, which my kids gave me for Father's Day!!!!

And yes, I would love to play GTA as a good guy and go after the thugs and mobsters etc.  That would rock.

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2006, 07:11:02 PM »

Quote from: "Starshifter"

And still loving CHARMED!  I'm about halfway through Season 1 on DVD, which my kids gave me for Father's Day!!!!

And yes, I would love to play GTA as a good guy and go after the thugs and mobsters etc.  That would rock.

That could be fun!  I'd love to arrest or kill CJ and his gang of hoodlums!

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2006, 07:54:49 PM »

NO FLYING MISSIONS!
Controls +3
better AI
Less gang pop-ups.
Hot-Coffee mod INSTALLED and accessible. I hate patching. slywink
split-screen & life (co-op) multiplayer
deathmatch, alt. gametypes.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Clay

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2006, 09:24:16 PM »

Quote from: "Starshifter"

Sort of like True Crime, but not sucky?   biggrin

xbox live: nude rick james
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2006, 11:51:34 PM »

Well when I played GTA III I thought they should come out with a game where you could play 8-Ball, because his character was more developed then Claude(the main guy).

But they never.

So then they came out with Vice City, and I loved it ALOT.

Those motor cycles ruled. And the Scarface type storyline kicked ass.

Then I thought, hey they should make a squel where Tommy is your boss and you get to create your own GTA guy and build it like a RPG, where you just keep going and you develope your own personality and things like that.

Well they almost had it with the customization part, but then they came out with San Andeas, and I loved the entire game.

I have never played Liberty City.

But now that I have played Gta I, II, III, Vice, and SA.  and I look at them all, Vice City was my favorite, it wasnt to big, wasnt to small, you could fly, you could boat, motor bikes, great story, awesome main hero, property to buy = fun, lots of money making after hard work.

Just a overall great game, I don't know how they can top SA, but they will. It makes them good money.

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
Creepy_Smell

Load"*",8,1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2006, 01:30:57 PM »

A GTA game using a post-apocalyptic setting with car mounted weapons would go a long ways in filling the Autoduel hole in my gaming heart.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2006, 03:33:01 PM »

Grand Theft Auto : Smurf Edition.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2006, 04:45:34 PM »

Another minor addition that would be cool would be licensed cars.  I doubt any manufacturer would lend their cars likeness in a game where it gets destroyed as they run over pedestrians and hookers with it, but it would give me a much better connection with the driving portion of the game.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2006, 04:53:30 PM »

Quote from: "Creepy_Smell"
A GTA game using a post-apocalyptic setting with car mounted weapons would go a long ways in filling the Autoduel hole in my gaming heart.

Winner!

Pikachu, I Blame you!
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2006, 10:02:31 PM »

Now I'm curious, did Liberty City Stories have the recruitment thing also like San Andreas?
I haven't played through the story just go on my usual killing sprees without really following any story line, and best (worst?) of all, the law enforcement AI doesn't do a damn thing no matter what I do in the PSP version. WTF?

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2006, 10:20:54 PM »

Now I'm curious, did Liberty City Stories have the recruitment thing also like San Andreas?
I haven't played through the story just go on my usual killing sprees without really following any story line, and best (worst?) of all, the law enforcement AI doesn't do a damn thing no matter what I do in the PSP version. WTF?

so it was the NYPD edition then? slywink

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2006, 01:07:11 AM »

No offense, but if all you do is go on killing sprees and do none of the missions or story stuff why would you buy each of the new games?

Sandwiches do fix everything.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2006, 04:37:48 PM »

No offense, but if all you do is go on killing sprees and do none of the missions or story stuff why would you buy each of the new games?

I never really bother with the campaign/story lines of any games for that matter. I can honestly say I loved say, Killzone for example, but if you take into account it had full bot support and online multiplayer, you can enjoy the game without even playing the singleplayer portion of it.

While none of the GTA's had multiplayer (real multiplayer anyway) they are all "Free world" do your own thing type of games, so you can have a lot of fun in the GTA worlds without even touching the story line, if all you did was play it straight through by the books, you woudn't be able to appreciate just how HUGE the GTA world is.
I've been playing San Andreas for a while and I've only covered maybe 70% of the world so far - there's just so much out there, and every GTA world is different so that's why I buy each game.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2006, 04:47:20 PM »

Quote from: "EngineNo9"

Ever since GTA 1, the funnest part for me was to just drive around for fun in the cities.  Zip through traffic, get better cars, listen to the humorous radio stations, run from the cops when they get on your tail, try to escape to a Pay'N'Spray and start all over again.  I don't even need weapons to have fun with GTA.

I buy each new one because they keep doing more than the last.
GTA 2 - added motorcycles, bigger city
GTA 3 - 3d!  bigger city
GTA Vice City - added motorcycles, bigger city
GTA San Andreas - more vehicles, BIGGER city

If you didn't need missions to unlock the whole map, I'd have fun with all of the GTA games for a long time before getting to the storyline.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2006, 02:10:14 AM »

Yeah, I love the open-world free roaming very much also (certainly more than , but there is only so many times I want to drive the same small area and run over the same respawning sidewalk puppets.  You dont' even get access to 2/3 of the world (along with other vehicles and features) if you don't do any of the missions.  That was my point.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2006, 04:24:07 PM »

I'm hoping for less control over my player to be honest. I found it tedious to have to feed him and take him the the gym and barber shop.

if you strike me down, i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: