http://gamingtrend.com
September 23, 2014, 08:39:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are your top 3 console games of ALL-TIME?  (Read 4257 times)
TheMissingLink
Gaming Trend Senior Member

TML, for short.

View Profile
« on: August 05, 2005, 12:10:10 PM »

I love reading what people have to say about their favorite games of all-time.  So, here's a thread but with a few of rules:

I. You can ONLY name three.
II.  They have to be console ONLY.
III.  Give us some info about your picks.

I'll get us started!

NHL '94 [snes] - Definitely my most-played game, my brother Depward and me using to play a few games at 10 minute periods (30 min. game), then we'd decide to do 20 minute periods (hour-long game) and do another game after that.  It was fun, because we played as Pittsburgh and Detroit and unlike the previous few years, the teams were pretty balanced.  We'd have some wild games (23-22, etc.), low-scoring games, and I even developed a way to NOT get checked.  We also found a trick to automatically make the player stand up after being knocked down hahaha.  The latest ESPN hockey game is neck and neck with this one, but I gotta give NHL '94 the nod.

Ducktales [nes] - When I was younger, I played the living hell out of this one and man, I bet I could have nearly done it blindfolded.  This was one of the rare games that the secrets in the game really worked, and back then, part of the fun was finding all the secret areas.  The music was classic, the gameplay quite simplistic but so very addicting; a little short, but that's no problem.

((((((placeholder, can't think of a 3rd plus it's time to go back to work!)))))

TheMissingLink on PSN
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2005, 12:40:15 PM »

Ooh, tough one.  I'd have to say:

Pro Wrestling [NES] - Backbrain kick?  Face Chomp?  Dude who looks like the Creature from the Black Lagoon?  How could you NOT love this game?! One....two....THREEEEEEEE!!!  

Shadowrun [NES/Genesis] - Loved em both for different reasons.  I'm a big fan of the William Gibson books like Neuromancer and Burning Chrome so to get to play in a world that was similar was a dream come true.  

Zelda II [NES] I don't know why but I just really like this game.  I thought it was a lot of fun and it was balanced enough to be challenging without becoming infuriating.  The ending was pathetic but the journey to get there was great!

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
unbreakable
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2005, 02:46:50 PM »

Zelda 2 was great, I'm also in the minority which liked it.  As an aside, KD, have you played Neuromancer?  That game is definitely in my all-time tops, but doesn't make this list of course.

1. Chrono Trigger- I loved SNES RPGs, and this was by far the greatest of them all.

2. Metal Gear Solid- was great on so many levels.  One of the very few games I manically played for 24+ hours straight.

3. not sure... maybe Zelda: Link to the Past, or perhaps Ocarina of Time, or maybe something else I can't think of at the moment.  I'd like to squeeze a Metroid game in here too, but three is damn short!
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2005, 02:49:34 PM »

Only console? Uhmm...

Megaman 2 [NES] - When I was a kid, our household didn't have Nintendo. Amiga and C128 sure, but no consoles. Luckily, my friend did. This particular friend got so many invites from me to come over our house during weekends for a sleepover. Truth is, I didn't give a flyin' hoot whether he was there or not, just as long as he brought his Nintendo with him. And it was the Megaman series that kept me asking. 1 was too easy, 3 was a bit too tough, 2 was just right. And come on, that intro was rockin'.

Final Fantasy VII [PSX] -  Saw the ads. Bought the PSX for the game. Experienced my first console RPG. I skipped a full week of school for this thing. I couldn't put it down. Never before had I been so immersed into a game. Even today, when I hear "Hearing the cry of the planet", it triggers an emotional response that almost matches how I felt when I first heard it (which was very soon after you-know-what happened in the game). Screw the naysayers, this title will always be near and dear to my heart.

Suikoden 2 [PSX] - I'm still trying to figure out why Suikoden 2 only got slightly above average scores. But, it says something that I played this well after the PS2 had been released, and was still completely drawn in. In my eyes, this is the suikoden game to reach for, and everything since has been progressively worse. 3 was good. 4 was.. um... there was no 4. Also, FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT'S HOLY, WHY WON'T ANYONE RE-RELEASE THIS GAME?!?

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2005, 02:52:57 PM »

Yep, I have played Neuromancer.  In fact, I played through it again day before yesterday.  smile  I have the C64, Apple II, Amiga, and IBM versions all in their box with the code wheels.  You could say I've played it...

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
warning

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2005, 03:11:44 PM »

#1) Chrono Trigger (SNES)

#2) Final Fantasy III/VI (SNES)

#3) Skies of Arcadia (Dreamcast)

These three games ruined me for any subsequent role-playing games.

Special mention goes to Fire Emblem for GBA.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2005, 03:18:52 PM »

final fantasy ix[ps] for me, more pure heart & soul than any of the others, mostly owing to the great cast (freya, vivi, eiko, & zidane, the most likeable lead male character of all the ffs, imo). i loved everything about it - the story, the music, the pacing, the humor, the powerful fmvs, &, for my money, the 'as great a video game ending as there's ever been'... & then, of course, there was stiltzkin...

ico[ps2] obviously, from comments on another thread right now, this game either works for you or it doesn't. it really worked for me. zelda on zen (note: were it not for ico's 'uniqueness', this choice would've been legend of zelda: majora's mask)...

final fantasy: crystal chronicles[gc] the game that transformed my  lovely wife from a quiet, gentle video game voyeur to a full-fledged, butt-kicking, split-second-timing selkie spellcaster - i'll always owe a huge debt of gratitude to the creators of this game for all the fun...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2005, 03:37:01 PM »

Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past - still the best Zelda game in my opinion.  This game was a hundredfold improvement on the original Zelda gameplay mechanics and look.  Watershed moment for the SNES.

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - I put this just below Link to the Past, but it is still an excellent game and a watershed moment for the Nintendo 64.

Bionic Commando - Took me a long time to beat the game, but after I beat it I could roll right through the game, including Level 12 or whatever level it was where you were constantly grappling while trying not to fall on the spikes.  I still think this is a fantastic game and I can't wait for the Capcom compilation that is supposedly coming out later this year that will include this game.

There are others I could think of, but those 3 stand out.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Driver
Gaming Trend Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2005, 04:06:20 PM »

Project Gotham Racing.  The game was crazy hard at times, and tight with the kudos, so by the time I accured 167,000 Kudos (when my first XBox crashed) I felt like I had really accomplished something.  PGR2 is good, though too loose with the Kudos and the cars, and as a result loses that sense of skill versus random selection.  Plus, as good as the online game can be, people always find someway to cheese the rankings.

Morrowind.  I've started this game over a half-dozen times, though have never played it completion.  Every time I play, however, I have a completely new exprience.  The epic scope is amazing -- the locations, the lore, the goodies.  It's a fantastic game that plays like a book.

...more to come...
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2005, 04:13:50 PM »

Sly Cooper (PS2): I'm not a big platformer fan - in fact I strongly dislike most of them.  But Sly Cooper was such a well-polished game with style out the yin-yang, I played it non-stop from start to finish.  And I *never* do that - I often get bored after an hour or two. The sequel is almost as good - I just haven't had much time to invest in it.

Edit... crap, missed that console only thing... ok:

Jet Set Radio (DC):  Just an awesome, unique game with a killer soundtrack and style a-plenty.

Pitfall II: Lost Caverns (Atari 5200): Yeah, it was released on some home computers, but back then they were little more than consoles with a keyboard.  Great game, better than the original, IMO.  And the 5200 version had a second completely different cavern that no other version had.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2005, 04:17:42 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
Yep, I have played Neuromancer.  In fact, I played through it again day before yesterday.  smile  I have the C64, Apple II, Amiga, and IBM versions all in their box with the code wheels.  You could say I've played it...

Ah, Neuromancer - what an awesome game.  One of my favorite C64 games.  I've been meaning to play through it again on an Amiga emulator.

This is one game that screams out for a remake - today's technology could render such an awesome Chiba City and cyberspace.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2005, 04:22:53 PM »

That's a tough question!

1)  Chrono Trigger - I love the heck out of this game.  And I've played it numerous times to boot.  It never gets old for me and I still manage to play it.  Put with that a great cast of characters, multiple endings, and I'm sold.

2)  Final Fantasy VI (U.S. III) - This could possibly be flip-flopped with Chrono Trigger.  FFVI is as close to a PERFECT RPG than any other I've ever played.  It had everything - memorable characters, great graphics, fantastic story, great artwork, and much, much more.  I love the opera scene and had to purchase a CD just because it was the first time anyone had performed and sang the opera theme.  Also, my brother bought me the three CD soundtrack way back when it was first released and I still listen to it.  The music is fantastic.

3)  TIE:  NHL 94, Shadow Hearts Covenant - Just read TheMissingLink's comments about NHL94 and it echos mine.  And Shadow Hearts Covenant, well, I've already said way too much about that game   biggrin

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2005, 04:30:45 PM »

In no particular order:

Adventure (Atari2600) - It created a genre, created the easter egg, and is still amazingly fun to play today.

Legend of Zelda - A Link to the Past (Super Nintendo) - Still my favorite Zelda. As AgtFox said, it was a quantum leap foreward, especially after the wrong turn the 2nd game made (not that it wasn't also great).

Eternal Darkness - Sanity's Requiem (Nintendo Gamecube) - Coincidentally, I finished this game for the 4th time this week. This is my favorite game of the current generation, and I just think it's a work of art. Such fantastic writing, gameplay, artwork, and the unbelievable, scary insanity effects. Brilliant stuff. I weep for the fact that there will never be a sequel. Every gamer that didn't buy this should be shot.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2005, 05:22:37 PM »

1.   Final Fantasy VII - This was my first console RPG, and is honestly the only reason I ever got into gaming at all.  Prior to FFVII, I played a few sports and driving games, but nothing that I could have ever considered emotionally involving.  FFVII made me realize what a powerful storytelling medium video games can be, and sparked my interest in gaming in general.   Thanks to this game, I have purchased nearly every RPG released since 1998, as well as playing through some of the ‘classic’ games in the genre.  Sure, it has it’s flaws, but any game that makes me want to play through 40+ hours 3 times has to be at the top of the list.
2.   Shadow Hearts:  Covenant – For me, SH:  C is the perfect combination of story, graphics, gameplay, characters, exploration, battle system, music, cinematics…basically everything.   I picked up the first game in this series on a whim, and was completely floored by both games.  IMO, this is as close to perfect as an RPG can get.
3.   Final Fantasy Tactics Advance - This has to go on the list simply for the sheer amount of hours I put into it - over 90 – which is far more than any other game I’ve ever played.  The story was only so-so, but the strategic battles and character development kept me absolutely hooked for months.

Honestly, Star Wars:  KotOR and Beyond Good & Evil would probably be tied for #3 on this list, but since we can’t include games that were released on other platforms…

My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2005, 05:27:11 PM »

Don't forget Final Fantasy 7 came out for the PC, so technically it can't make anyone's list.  That is why I have been unable to decide what should be number one.

Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2005, 05:38:07 PM »

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Super Mario Bros.
Worms Armageddon
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2005, 05:41:40 PM »

Quote from: "farley2k"
Don't forget Final Fantasy 7 came out for the PC, so technically it can't make anyone's list.  That is why I have been unable to decide what should be number one.

Technically, smechnically. FF7 is a console game, period. As far as I'm concerned, the PC version never happened. smile

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2005, 06:44:41 PM »

EDIT TO FINALLY ADD THE 3rd GAME...

I'm also going to assume that Console Only means that you played it on a console and never on a PC - since PC versions are often very different (modding, etc.).  If not, TML - um - yell at me - bcz I can't leave out a game that I played for almost 6 months, over and over, the first game of it's sort for me, played only on a console with no modding, yadda, yadda! At first, I wondered why it was" Elder Scrolls 3," I was so ignorant of the PC gaming side Tongue

#1 ALL-TIME is a tie, so I'll list alphabetically, since I really can't decide, they're important for different reasons:  

#1a..... (XBox) The Elder Scrolls: Morrowind

#1b.....  (NES) The Legend of Zelda

#2/3....  Wow, the third one is going to take some more thought, I'll be back to edit it in later...  so many contenders...  Halo might be it bcz it was my first FPS - and it led to loving FPS's.  We'll see.

I started playing video games when I was about 37 years old - yikes - something like 1989-ish (do NOT do the math).  I bought one of those new-fangled NES machines, with Mario -  then someone told me I had to get "Zelda" - and the rest is history!  Even then, I was always lost  in games, so if I had to go to sleep, but had just, finally found the 3rd dungeon, I had to leave the console on, go to sleep, go to work, and come home and continue another marathon session - until it was time to go through the same thing all over again. I finished both "levels" and started the first one over immediately!  I've replayed it through the years, and it's still compelling... anyone who's never played it should get the Collector's Edition for the Cube, if you don't have a NES -  or you are not really a console gamer, IMO! :twisted:

Morrowind
was the combination of everything I  loved most  in games (other than FPS's) - exploring, collecting, leveling, swing your own sword in "really real time" lol, swords, spears, arrows, and armor, castles and caves and dungeons - oh my! - 1st or 3rd person, choice of stealth vs. strength vs. speed and more, character customization, open-ended but compelling story playing, graphics - did I miss anything?  I played it through, beat it, and immediately created a different character to play it again.  I think I've played it through 4 times, and started it again a bit  ago, due to "Oblivion" yearning! :shock:

WOW this was harder than I thought... the three contenders were Halo 1, Tengen Tetris, and Dr. Mario.  Drumroll, please...

#3 - Dr. Mario, in all it's forms!  I really couldn't decide, so I finally went with amount of time and enjoyment, from playing at 4 AM on the NES, to a black and white GB (yes, true!), the fantastic N64 version with multi-player, the un-locked WarioWare version, and the GBA SP retro re-make.

TML - you are evil!  :twisted:  A list that made me leave out Halo and Tetris... how cruel!  Not to mention... ah, never mind, it's too painful! :lol:

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
The General
BANNED
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2005, 04:47:27 AM »

NES games, you went that far back lol. Damn. Good thread tho, here is my fav.

Xbox = GTA 3 & GTA Vice City Tie, The GTA games are my fav for real. The overall gameplay is perfect. I enjoy just driving around , i could do this for hours and never get bored, you know if i have the right soundtrack in. Like incubus or Deftones.

Arcade/PC/Genesis/Supernes/saturn/n64/psx = The Mk series, from Mk 1 to Mk Trilogy. I remember playing Mk 3 on genesis, i was so hype up by the sound effects and the effort that Midway did for the genesis version and from the past MK. MK II for supernes was the bomb tho. I own all MK games from 1 to trilogy on the pc, and arcade versions.

Screenshots i just took mins ago from MK3
http://www.kazimages.com/uploads/a79eb27c2e.jpg
http://www.kazimages.com/uploads/d9d0bc69f0.jpg
http://www.kazimages.com/uploads/19322b5ffb.jpg

NFL2K series = Best football games on the planet, i own nfl2k2 on dreamcast, nfl2k3 and nfl2k5 on xbox. Funny thing nfl 2k3 on xbox still looks a million times better then madden 06 on xbox, thats a damn shame and just proves my point......

Why are you trying to make fun of me?
You think it's funny?
What the ____ you think you're doing to me?
You take your turn lashing out at me.
I want you crying with your dirty ass in front of me - K.O.R.N.

* The World Aint Knowing "
Gwar21
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2005, 04:56:07 AM »

I could do this tomorrow and probably have a completely different list:

1. Goldeneye (N64) - Probably my most-played console game, both for SP and MP

2. NCAA Football 200? (PS2) - There was one year I played this all the time...can't remember if it was 2003 or 2004.  I never did win a title in my dynasty.  frown

3. This would be Madden 2003, but since you specified console only...I'll go with Final Fantasy X.  I was lukewarm on the story, but I liked the characters, loved the graphics, and thought the character development system was the best I'd ever seen.

Honorable mentions go to Timesplitters 2 and Ocarina of Time.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2005, 05:29:29 AM »

1) Final Fantasy VI (III in the States): Nothing else comes close, though spots #2 and #3 will seem like it. This was the complete package - a truly hissable villain that you loved to hate, memorable characters to a one among the many, many characters you could play. How far into the game do you meet Celeste? And she becomes, more or less, the main character about half way through? So many high points, it's ridiculous. The boss battles which were always insane, and challenging and fun. The opera sequence, which should be required playing for any and all RPG developers until the end of time. The music. The characters. The dialogue. The summons. The magnificent endings for all of the characters. That final battle against Kefka. biggrin

2) The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. As has been said, this one did everything right and was a quantum leap forward. The one port I don't mind paying $20 for again to play on my GBA SP. Fantastic game, a real sense of attachment to Link and to Zelda, a sense of danger, terrific puzzles and dungeons. Great weapons/gadgets. Wonderful world. Love. It.

3) Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. Best. Castlevania game. Ever. From the music to the layout of the castle, to the main character's look and abilities, to the numerous villains, this is the one that took the many successful elements of the formula and made it the standard by which all other Castlevania games are henceforth judged. Simon's Quest may have been the game to open my eyes to role-playing elements, but this is the gold standard for the series.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2005, 05:40:01 AM »

Quote from: "The General"

NFL2K series = Best football games on the planet, i own nfl2k2 on dreamcast, nfl2k3 and nfl2k5 on xbox. Funny thing nfl 2k3 on xbox still looks a million times better then madden 06 on xbox, thats a damn shame and just proves my point......

Seriously?  Is that a joke?  Yeah, the new 2k games look better than Madden in some respects but saying that nfl2k3 looks better than a game you havent even played yet is just... well... kind of ignorant.  And that is a damn shame.

WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2005, 05:43:24 AM »

Damn, this is a really tough to pick only three...  I guess I will have to say:
Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Mario 64
WWF No Mercy

Wow, three N64 games.  Close to the top:
NFL Blitz (first arcade version)
NBA Jam Tournament Edition
ESPN NHL games
Super Smash Bros on the Cube
Mario 1,2,3,World
Tony Hawk 1,2,3 and 4

There are a ton more, but I cant think of them right now.

Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2005, 11:33:17 AM »

Resident Evil 2 (PS1) - The first really scary game I played and I loved every minute of it.  Then came Silent Hill...

Burnout 3 (XBox) - Arcade racing at it's best.  It's such a great feeling to cause such massive amounts of destruction and have it look so good.

Ratchet & Clank : Up Your Arsenal (PS2)- The series as a whole is fantastic, but the last one did away with all the annoying bits of the previous games and became a streamlined shootfest of pure fun.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2005, 12:31:57 PM »

Being new to consoles I can only speak from this current generations selection.   I would have to go with

1.  Resident Evil 4 for GC.  I never seem to tire of it.  I love the unlockables-like getting 3 games in one.  This is the first game that actually gave me that feeling that when I shot something I was really hitting something what with bodies flying backward 10 feet and all.  Plus, I loved the story and graphics.  

2.  Project Gotham Racing 2.  Can't tell you how much time I spent playing Cat-and-Mouse online.  Insane fun.  Plus, going through the whole single trying to get all those friggin medals amounted to a ridiculous waste of my time, but I loved every minute of it.  Can't wait for 3.

3.  God of War. Just felt epic in every way.  The music, the scope, the story, some of the insane boss battles.  So much variety of areas to combat in.  Loved it and still do.  

I would love to have been able to put Riddick, Halo, Buffy 1, etc etc in this list, but you only said three, so I won't mention them. : )

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Jafisob
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2005, 06:47:50 PM »

Quote from: "Laner"
Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"

Ah, Neuromancer - what an awesome game.  One of my favorite C64 games.  I've been meaning to play through it again on an Amiga emulator.

This is one game that screams out for a remake - today's technology could render such an awesome Chiba City and cyberspace.

Oh heck yes!  Neuromancer was awesome.  I played it either on my Atari 800 irrc.  Classic gaming.

How about a thread of the top 3 games for the current crop of platforms i.e. GC, PS2, and XBox?  Maybe I will have to start one.

FYI:  I just bought a PS2 and have been grabbing up some coop games that I got tips on from other threads.

And now back to your regularly scheduled thread.....  :wink:
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2005, 08:48:21 PM »

Ok I have been thinking about this for days, and I think I have come up with my top 3.

1. Final Fantasy X (PS2)
For me, this is the seminal console RPG. Ever. I love just about everything about it. I think the story (on my third time through) is absolutely fascinating. Interesting, complicated, involved, with twists, turns, suprises, and genuine emotional involvement and attachment with the characters. The gameplay is rock solid-the culmination of the Final Fantasy-style RPG game mechanics. The graphics are phenomenal, the cutscenes extraordinary, the sound and voicework suprisingly good, and on the whole an incredible experience.

2. Halo (XBOX)
This was a tough choice. As a game, I enjoy Halo2 more. The level design is better, the gameplay more developed, the action better. But Halo did for consoles arguably what Doom did for PC's-it truly made first person shooters viable on the consoles, which really is a tremendous boon to gamers everywhere. Halo did have issues-the repetitive level design, the paucity of enemy types, a few underwhelming weapons. When it was released, however, the graphic were superb, the FPS gameplay as good as all but the top few PC titles. The controls were mind-bogglingly good for a console-they revolutionized the way console FPS's would and should feel. The sound was inspired, with phenomenal vocal arias, fast-paced and exciting music, great sound effects, and superb voicework. Although Halo2 played better, Halo was the title that really started it all.

3. Dragon Warrior 2 (NES)
If you play any of the NES Dragon Warrior/Quests now, they are suprisingly basic and the graphics are crude. Dragon Warrior 2 for me really started a life long love of RPG's for me. With the great story, music, gameplay and Dragon Warrior world, I was captivated from the moment I picked it up. I have been a huge Dragon Warrior fan ever since, and more than any other console game, Dragon Warrior 2 got me hooked on console games.
Qbe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2005, 02:53:57 AM »

Ok, I think I'm about ready to vote.

My console gaming history starts in the late 1970s with one of those old Telstar Pong games.  We had a 2600, but between 1981 and 2002 I never touched a console.  I wanted a Genesis back when the Sega commercials were cool, and a Playstation when I saw the ads for Spyro, but I was PC-only until November 2002 when I got a PSone.  Since then I've tried to make up for some lost time.

1.  Wild Arms (Playstation).  The first console RPG I bought was FF VII, which came highly recommended.  Unfortunately it never grabbed me.  I tried a number of other RPGs because I wanted to understand the appeal, but nothing held me more than a few hours until Wild Arms.  Wild Arms was the first console RPG I ever completed.  The graphics are fairly primitive for the Playstation, but the story and the soundtrack and the gameplay more than made up for it.  I'm selling a number of my games, but they'll have to pry Wild Arms out of my cold dead hands.

2.  Shenmue (Dreamcast).  I bought Shenmue with my Dreamcast (both used) but the slow pace irritated me: I didn't play more than a half-hour, then put it away for a year.  I decided to give it another try for a few hours and got hooked: once I got to Dobuita I was really there.  Unfortunately I haven't yet finished the game: for the last year I've spent most of my free time learning Japanese and starting to plan a trip to Japan for my 40th birthday year, mostly thanks to Shenmue.

3.  Spyro: Year of the Dragon (Playstation).  I've been wavering between this one and Arc the Lad Collection.  However, for now I'll pick Spyro.  The production values are among the best I've seen, and the game is just plain fun.  It's good to see these guys continuing their quality work in the Ratchet & Clank series.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2005, 07:00:11 AM »

1. Final Fantasy X - I'll second Rage's comments, and add that the game has probably the best ending I've ever seen.  It's been 2 years since I finished it, and there are parts I still remember as if I played them yesterday.

2. Dragon Warrior 3 - I got Dragon Warrior 1 for a Christmas gift (it was free with a Nintendo Power subscription) and have been hooked on RPGs ever since.  I remember a preview for DW3 in Nintendo Power had a map of the world, and I just stared at it, filled with anticipation at being able to visit all those places.  I'm playing it again on the GBA, and despite its simplicity, it's still fun.

3. Soul Blazer - It was a toss-up between this and Dark Cloud 2, both city-builders/RPGs.  Dark Cloud 2 is the better game, but Soul Blazer wins for nostalgia's sake, and because I've played it four times and could probably play it again today and enjoy it just as much.

This list will probably change soon, as I'm currently playing through a few games that will be contenders for the list after I finish them.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2005, 12:40:38 PM »

I hereby add Super Smash Bros. Melee for the Gamecube as my third choice after playing close to 4 hours of it today with a friend.  The single-player portion of the game is highly underrated and the game is quite a bit deeper than people think it is.  

NHL '94
Super Smash Bros. Melee
Duck Tales

Yup, not gonna change it, those are my three!

TheMissingLink on PSN
Semaj

View Profile
Hrm
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2005, 04:13:35 PM »

Well,... Lesse....

1) Baseball Stars - NES
Dont even argue, best baseball game ever, lol.  I have more hours plugged into that game than I do college, and I got several degrees...Well, ok not that many, but I did max several teams to full stats... More than once.

Final Fantasy 7 - PS
I played the game through more than once, my roomate played it through (were talking chochobo breeding, the whole 9 yards).  My Next Roomate played the thign through... You just cant argue when it spends more time in your PS than all your other games combined.(And I had several good games I played ot death on that machine)

Super Smash Borthers Melee
This one is iffy... MY friends have a Video Game club at college based on this one, and they have played it to death and back.  However one cannot argue its amazing appeal.  Easy for beginners, hard for experts.. Yes there are experts, play one and you will understand what I am saying.

Now I want to argue what constitutes a console game.. but I will just say: any game that starts out on a console (a la halo, GTA: SA and FF 7) should be considered a console game.[/b]

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2005, 05:32:05 PM »

My List:

1) Metal Gear Solid:  Easily my most replayed game ever. I play through it several times each year.  I love the gameplay, the characters, the twists and turns, the whole thing.  Shadow Moses is one of the great gaming environments- up there with Citadel Station and Black Mesa.  Some of the best boss battles ever too.  

2) Final Fantasy 7:  I share the same sentiments as many here- this game absorbed me like few others.  

3) Phantasy Star 2:  This game defined epic to me in the late 8 bit/early 16 bit generation.  It also featured one of the first great game plot twists 2/3 of the way through and one of the best endings of all time.
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2005, 11:37:11 PM »

It's impossible to narrow it down to three, but here goes...

1. The Legend of Zelda/Zelda II/Zelda:OoT: I couldn't decide which of these three I enjoyed the most, so I just lumped them together.  The Legend of Zelda was the second NES game I ever owned, and the first game that really showed me what 'depth' in a game meant.  Zelda 2 was the first game that I ever experienced 'hype' for - I remember spending an hour just staring at a picture of the box for it in a Sears catalog.  When it finally came out, I faked the flu so I could stay home from school and snuck downstairs to play it while my mom was driving to the store to buy me 7up.  Zelda:OoT was a phenominal game from start to finish, but what really got me was how climactic the final sequence was and how satisfying the whole experience felt.

2. Bionic Commando: Best. Ending. Ever.  Well, maybe behind Super Mario Bros 2 smile  I bet if I combined the time I spent playing Bionic Commando and Contra as a kid, it would be greater than my time spent playing all other action games since then.  I think I played thru Bionic Commando a good 40+ times...

3. Goldeneye 64: I can't think of a game that was so perfect on so many levels.  The single player was perfect - having different objectives for each difficulty level added so much replayability.  The graphics stuttered a bit, but who cares when the explosions looked as good as they did.  And to this day I can't think of another console game that I played more multiplayer on.  I had 3 friends over twice a week for almost 2 years to play Goldeneye, and never got bored of it.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2005, 01:58:19 AM »

GTA:SA= IMO the greatest game todate (what cant you do in that game?)

CONTRA= REALLY when was the last time you had some much fun solo or  with someone next to you?

Adventures of Bayou Billy=I really beleive it all started here in this jem of a game. shoot, fight , drive, swim,

Aint nothing like a trip down memory lane,  biggrin  
take a minute and enjoy.

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ()  ()  ()
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ()  ()  ()
PS3 Spinks
unbreakable
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2005, 11:49:19 PM »

Quote from: "Laner"

The C64 version was, IMO, the best version.  I've played the C64, Amiga, and IBM versions.  When I replay it I go for the IBM version just for simplicity's sake, but I miss the music.
unbreakable
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2005, 11:51:50 PM »

Quote from: "EddieA"
3. Soul Blazer - It was a toss-up between this and Dark Cloud 2, both city-builders/RPGs.  Dark Cloud 2 is the better game, but Soul Blazer wins for nostalgia's sake, and because I've played it four times and could probably play it again today and enjoy it just as much.

I like Act Raiser (1, not 2) much better.  I still replay it occasionally (although I did play Soul Blazer twice).  Check it out, if you havent already.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2005, 12:48:04 AM »

I really like Actraiser 1, too, but Soul Blazer just "clicked" with me.  The underwater level was the most beautiful thing I'd ever seen in a game, and I preferred the more action-RPG combat of SB to Actraiser's more straight-up action combat.  Hopefully, SquareEnix will make both games available to download on the Revolution.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Nick Bean
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2005, 01:37:15 AM »

1. Shenmue==> Great story, great exploration, nice use of color. Ryo Hazuki is your Daddy.

2. Tecmo Super Bowl==> It is still as much fun now as it was when released.

3. Omikron: The Nomad Soul==> This DC game offered exploration and a world  on a epic scale. At the time I had never seen anything like it. It paved the way for open ended games with large worlds.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2005, 02:04:19 AM »

Thanks Nick -
3. Omikron: The Nomad Soul==> This DC game offered exploration and a world on a epic scale. At the time I had never seen anything like it. It paved the way for open ended games with large worlds.

I think I have a copy of that in my backlog, but had forgotten about it... maybe I'll fire it up soon! Tongue

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2005, 02:37:05 AM »

Quote from: "Nick Bean"
3. Omikron: The Nomad Soul==> This DC game offered exploration and a world  on a epic scale. At the time I had never seen anything like it. It paved the way for open ended games with large worlds.

Wasn't that the game David Bowie did all the music for?  I remember picking it up for that fact alone, and not liking it much.  But maybe I'm thinking of a different game.

My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: