http://gamingtrend.com
November 29, 2014, 01:21:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you buying this week? (9/4)  (Read 3138 times)
kathode
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2006, 08:26:19 PM »

There's a better gaming magazine than Game Informer?  Edge is the only I know that could qualify, and that is something like $75 for a year's subscription over here.  They don't do the most in-depth reviews but the magazine sure is a sight better than Official Whatever Design-Trainwreck Magazine.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2006, 08:31:42 PM »

Quote from: kathode on September 05, 2006, 08:26:19 PM

There's a better gaming magazine than Game Informer?
Toilet paper is a better gaming magazine than Game Informer.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2006, 08:32:38 PM »

There's a better gaming magazine than Game Informer?  Edge is the only I know that could qualify, and that is something like $75 for a year's subscription over here.  They don't do the most in-depth reviews but the magazine sure is a sight better than Official Whatever Design-Trainwreck Magazine.

GI is great for previews and probably worth the $10 or whatever is when you factor in the bonus on trade-ins. They get the most exclusives by far.  But their reviews suck.  Normally I like the idea of a second opinion system, but I don't think I've ever seen a Second Opinion review diverge by more than a point from one another so I'm going to question the integrity of any system where the two reviewers are always in complete agreement with one another.  And then there is the Paper Mario 2 issue I mentioned above where they admitted to not reviewing the game on it's own merits. 

But, yes, Edge is wonderful.  GamesTM is also pretty good too.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2006, 09:25:22 PM »

The Paper Mario 2 thing was crap I agree, but it was a good couple years ago and one reviewer.  There reviews aren't in-depth like I said, but I haven't seen many that make me get angry or anything.  Mainly I suppose the excellent design awakens my inner graphics whore with its huge glossy screenshots.  EGM is better for reviews I'd say, but I get more excited about getting Game Informer in the mail.  I've seen GamesTM but haven't picked one up.  I'll have to give it a look.

Anyway, hopefully Blockbuster will have Yakuza tomorrow.  I will swing by and take a look.
stuntgibbon
Game Dev
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2006, 09:35:45 PM »

I loved the japanese version of Yakuza, so will probably eventually pick up the US version so i can understand it.  Though this week I'm still workin on Saint's Row and UGnG and am travelling, so might just hold off.   Probably will snag Loco Roco though.
Cleric7

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2006, 09:38:38 PM »

if Test Drive Unlimited gets great reviews I might see if I can cobble together enough to trade for it. Otherwise nothing this week -- too many great games to save for the rest of the year!

"All that is necessary for evil to flourish is for good people to do nothing."
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2006, 10:13:17 PM »

Quote from: kathode on September 05, 2006, 09:25:22 PM

The Paper Mario 2 thing was crap I agree, but it was a good couple years ago and one reviewer. 

Well it was actually two reviewers (second opinion was the same) and an editor who defended the action  icon_wink  But yeah nothing to get worked up over- I just don't make buying decisions based on GI reviews and I'm shocked that anyone would point to one of their reviews as a determining factor. I agree with you on all of their pretty screenshots though and, like I said, they get the best exclusives.  Although on the point of glossiness and art direction, I think Play wins for the US mags. 
Briko
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2006, 01:18:03 AM »

Just getting Enchanted Arms from last week....

Briko

Briko
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2006, 03:06:14 PM »

PS2:  Yakuza, maybe Spyhunter depending on reviews.
360:  Test Drive Unlimited is a maybe.  Also, I am trying to fight off the Forum Effect on Enchanted Arms.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2006, 03:07:57 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2006, 03:26:23 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 06, 2006, 03:06:14 PM

360:  Test Drive Unlimited is a maybe.  Also, I am trying to fight off the Forum Effect on Enchanted Arms.

Stop trying to fight the Gaming Trend Forum Effect. You know you'll lose in the end anyway, so why even try?  icon_biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Briko
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2006, 06:31:03 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 06, 2006, 03:06:14 PM

Stop fighting the Force and just get it already... I DID!!!! I feel much better now...

Briko

Briko
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 07, 2006, 08:23:36 PM »

Thanks to continuing positive impressions of Enchanted Arms, I just may pick that one up.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 08, 2006, 02:55:57 AM »

I ended up doing a trade-in deal and picked up Enchanted Arms and Disgaea 2 today.  Now I just have to find the time to play them.  icon_biggrin

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: