http://gamingtrend.com
September 16, 2014, 11:54:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you buying this week? (7/12)  (Read 2005 times)
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« on: July 13, 2009, 05:42:28 AM »

And thus starts the slow months in gaming. This is a good thing, as it allows our wallets to relax before the utter onslaught that publishers put on us every single year.

PS2:
NCAA Football 2010

PS3:
NCAA Football 2010

PSP:
NCAA Football 2010

360:
NCAA Football 2010
The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition (XBLA)

Wii:
Birthday Party Bash
Science Papa
Ant Nation (WiiWare)
Bit Boy!! (WiiWare)
Incoming! (WiiWare)
Secret Command (AKA Rambo: First Blood Part 2) (VC - SMS)
Pulseman (Import) (VC - Genesis)

DS:
Science Papa
Sherlock Holmes: Mystery of the Mummy
Brain Challenge (DSiWare)

PC:
NCAA Football 2010

What are you buying this week?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 02:50:08 PM by Destructor » Logged

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 05:47:17 AM »

Nadda. I might buy a cheap copy of Halo Wars after I've finished catching up with Red Faction.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 05:49:04 AM »

Ugh.

Advanced word has come about Wiiware, though.  Apparently, we will see the mildly anticipated (but poorly reviewed) Bit Boy!! and Tales of Monkey Island Ep 1 later today.  Now I have to decide which platform I want Monkey Island on.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 06:14:54 AM »

Arent you forgetting Secret of the Monkey Island for the consoles coming the 15th? I'll be getting that for the Xbox

A new one
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 06:16:44 AM »

Nothing that's released this week, though my copy of Fuel for the PC should be here any day.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 06:25:02 AM »

I think you folrgot to list that football game that is due out this week  icon_wink  nothing for me this week, Gothic 2 has me in it's clutches.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 06:39:43 AM »

Nothing until August WOOO!!!!

Oh wait. that's when the flood gates open. Damnit.
KC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 11:12:30 AM »

Monkey Island on XBLA
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 11:53:52 AM »

NCAA 10 for the 360.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2009, 12:11:38 PM »

OUT!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2009, 12:17:19 PM »

First time in many years that I haven't even been the least bit tempted by NCAA Football. I may pick up Monkey Island on XBLA, though.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2009, 01:49:05 PM »

Nada

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2009, 01:53:06 PM »

I'll be getting NCAA 10 for the 360 as well as Monkey Island on XBLA.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2009, 01:54:13 PM »

Science Papa?!  Did The Onion start making video games?
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2009, 02:10:01 PM »

monkey island on XBLA ...i have been singing it to the theme of Monkey Magic all day Roll Eyes

monkey island,monkey island..monkey island,monkey island....doo,doo doooo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-gbh1ePwlI&feature=related

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2009, 02:20:42 PM »

Monkey Island remake would've been a day 1 buy until they mentioned the possibility of an iPhone version.  I'd only want one or the other, and if they do a decent job on the iPhone port it would be hard to pass up a portable Guybrush Threepwood.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2009, 02:24:16 PM »

Complete list:

WiiWare
Bit Boy!!
Publisher: Bplus, Players: 1-2, ESRB Rating: E (Everyone), Price: 600 Wii Points
Description: Get ready for the most spectacular journey through time in the history of video games!! Accompany Bit Boy Kubi through a crazy pixellated adventure

and battle hordes of nasty monsters in 4-bit dungeons, 8-bit caves, 16-bit strongholds, 32-bit labyrinths, 64-bit arenas and 128-bit worlds!! Rescue Kubi's friends!!

Set off in the ultimate pursuit of fruits and high scores!! Grab a friend for even more fun in Cooperative mode!! The Wii Remote is your joystick – let the arcade

adventure begin!!

Incoming!*
Publisher: JV Games Inc., Players: 1-2, ESRB Rating: E (Everyone) – Mild Cartoon Violence, Price: 500 Wii Points
Description: The goal of Incoming! is to defeat your opponents by destroying their tanks using the arsenal you have at your disposal. Advanced arsenals become

available at different levels of the game. Incoming! is great fun for two people to play competitively. Can you defeat your opponent's tanks before they conquer yours?

Collect power-ups to give your arsenal that tactical advantage. Your firing must be quick and your aim true to claim victory.

Ant Nation
Publisher: Konami Digital Entertainment, Players: 1, ESRB Rating: E 10 + (Everyone 10 and Older) – Mild Violence, Price: 700 Wii Points™
Description: The beloved childhood pastime of lazy Sundays spent with a magnifying glass and an ant farm finally arrives in its most mischievous form via the

WiiWare service. You must train your colony of Super Ants using a devilishly fun toolset. Zap, torch and manipulate your ants to make them numerous enough and tough

enough to survive a variety of increasingly difficult challenges.

Virtual Console
Secret Command™**
Original platform: SEGA Master System, Publisher: SEGA, Players: 1-2, ESRB Rating: E 10+ (Everyone 10 and Older) – Mild Violence, Price: 600 Wii Points
Description: Play as a lone warrior, armed to the teeth, sent on a top-secret commando mission behind enemy lines to liberate your comrades at arms. Released on

the SEGA Master System in Europe as Secret Command, players will battle frenzied attacks from enemy soldiers, rocket troops, tanks and other enemies doing everything

they can to stop you from saving the hostages. Use your trusty machine gun and a compound bow, equipped with explosive-tipped arrows, to pave the way to victory. Let

nothing stand in your path. Play it with a friend in two-player mode for double the fire power.

Pulseman***
Original platform: SEGA Genesis, Publisher: GAME FREAK, Players: 1, ESRB Rating: E (Everyone) – Animated Violence, Price: 900 Wii Points
Description: When noted 21st-century scientist Doc Yoshimaya fell in love with one of his C-Life artificial-intelligence creations, he uploaded himself into his

computer, where her program core merged with his DNA, and half-human/half-C-Life Pulseman was born. Doc Yoshimaya's mind twisted as he emerged back into real life, and

he became evil Doc Waruyama. Use Pulseman's ability to harness electricity as a weapon with his Volteccer attack as a means of rapid transport to fight Waruyama's

Galaxy Gang across seven crazy stages. Find out why this SEGA Channel classic was widely regarded as one of the best-looking games for SEGA's MEGA DRIVE (Genesis) on

release.

Nintendo DSiWare
Brain Challenge
Publisher: Gameloft, Players: 1, ESRB Rating: E (Everyone) – Mild Cartoon Violence, Price: 800 Nintendo DSi Points™
Description: Just like your body, your brain needs exercise to stay in shape. Brain Challenge is a simple, entertaining solution for stimulating your neurons

that goes way beyond logic tests. Thanks to a complete range of 48 mini-games, Brain Challenge provides an exceptional variety of exercises. Not only can you train

your brain for Math but also for four other categories: Logic, Focus, Memory and Visual. Plus an original Stress Mode, featuring multitasking and authority challenges,

Plus, you can now personalize your profile and some exercises with your own photos.

*Not related to the PC game of the same, exclamation point-laden name

**Officially an import, but saw release here as Rambo: First Blood Part II

***An import, supposedly very good.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 02:28:49 PM by Bullwinkle » Logged

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2009, 02:47:09 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on July 13, 2009, 06:14:54 AM

Arent you forgetting Secret of the Monkey Island for the consoles coming the 15th? I'll be getting that for the Xbox

I tend to not track/find XBLA/PSN launches until somebody nicely posts them for me first. biggrin

It seems that the XBLA version is due out this week. Can't find a listing of PSN games though (at least not with my usual 10 seconds of Googling anyway).
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 02:52:53 PM by Destructor » Logged

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2009, 02:52:43 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on July 13, 2009, 02:47:09 PM

Quote from: Razgon on July 13, 2009, 06:14:54 AM

I tend to not track/find XBLA/PSN launches until somebody nicely posts them for me first. biggrin

Is it due out this week? That would be something worth purchasing.

they twitted last week right after their big announcement about Steam that it would be out on the 15th.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2009, 02:53:56 PM »

Quote from: Captain Caveman on July 13, 2009, 12:17:19 PM

First time in many years that I haven't even been the least bit tempted by NCAA Football.

Same here. I boycotted last year, but adding online dynasty made it very hard to do. This year though, after trying the demo any interest I had in the game was gone. The boycott continues! The Madden boycott might be coming to a close though, as I am interested in that game for the first time in years.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2009, 03:01:27 PM »

Quote from: msteelers on July 13, 2009, 02:53:56 PM

First time in many years that I haven't even been the least bit tempted by NCAA Football.

Same here. I boycotted last year, but adding online dynasty made it very hard to do. This year though, after trying the demo any interest I had in the game was gone. The boycott continues! The Madden boycott might be coming to a close though, as I am interested in that game for the first time in years.

FWIW people who got the game early and have had the game for a few days are giving mostly positive reviews of the on-field gameplay. 

I know,  EA SPorts is evil, blah, blah, blah.  So take those reviews with a grain of salt I guess.

mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2009, 03:20:57 PM »

Nothing from the list, as usual, but some serious buying nonetheless...

One of our old clunker TVs gave up the ghost recently, and just before that, one of my launch 360 consoles finally RRoD'ed, so a spending spree was in order... We like our local BestBuy (since Chaz left the local EB Games! icon_cry ) so we headed there Sunday morning, debit cards in hand.

We bought one 37" HDTV and one Jasper Pro, so now both 360's will have HDTV's and 60 gig HD's (I wanted an Elite, but they didn't have any.)  I had to wait around a bit and was browsing through the games - as if I need more - and noticed there was only one game guide left for "Star Ocean: the Last Hope."  Having played too many complex games with very little info available lately, that cinched the purchase of both the guide and the game.

On top of all of that - though I didn't buy it - I got a present from someone who has been out of the area for quite a while.  Apparently, I mentioned a possible interest in "The Rise of the Argonauts" recently;  my people let his people know - and I got the game and the guide as a "Christmas present," yesterday, lmao.

Yay, me! I'm a very happy video game camper right now!   nod

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2009, 03:33:29 PM »

Quote from: mytocles on July 13, 2009, 03:20:57 PM

Nothing from the list, as usual, but some serious buying nonetheless...

One of our old clunker TVs gave up the ghost recently, and just before that, one of my launch 360 consoles finally RRoD'ed, so a spending spree was in order... We like our local BestBuy (since Chaz left the local EB Games! icon_cry ) so we headed there Sunday morning, debit cards in hand.

We bought one 37" HDTV and one Jasper Pro, so now both 360's will have HDTV's and 60 gig HD's (I wanted an Elite, but they didn't have any.)  I had to wait around a bit and was browsing through the games - as if I need more - and noticed there was only one game guide left for "Star Ocean: the Last Hope."  Having played too many complex games with very little info available lately, that cinched the purchase of both the guide and the game.

On top of all of that - though I didn't buy it - I got a present from someone who has been out of the area for quite a while.  Apparently, I mentioned a possible interest in "The Rise of the Argonauts" recently;  my people let his people know - and I got the game and the guide as a "Christmas present," yesterday, lmao.

Yay, me! I'm a very happy video game camper right now!   nod

i want your impressions on Rise of the Argonauts Myto,also interested to know what you think of Star Ocean if you get ever to it icon_biggrin

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2009, 03:37:33 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on July 13, 2009, 02:24:16 PM

Pulseman***
Original platform: SEGA Genesis, Publisher: GAME FREAK, Players: 1, ESRB Rating: E (Everyone) – Animated Violence, Price: 900 Wii Points
Description: When noted 21st-century scientist Doc Yoshimaya fell in love with one of his C-Life artificial-intelligence creations, he uploaded himself into his

computer, where her program core merged with his DNA, and half-human/half-C-Life Pulseman was born. Doc Yoshimaya's mind twisted as he emerged back into real life, and

he became evil Doc Waruyama. Use Pulseman's ability to harness electricity as a weapon with his Volteccer attack as a means of rapid transport to fight Waruyama's

Galaxy Gang across seven crazy stages. Find out why this SEGA Channel classic was widely regarded as one of the best-looking games for SEGA's MEGA DRIVE (Genesis) on

release.

I've heard great things about this game, and that the audio matches the excellent visuals in quality. It's the same developer that now creates the Pokemon games for Nintendo handhelds. This is one of their last independent games before they got caught up in the Nintendo combine after the success of Pokemon. It's nothing like a Pokemon-style RPG though and it was supposed to be very original in gameplay and style. I'll be downloading this for sure.

Otherwise nothing else this week.
Simon

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2009, 03:45:26 PM »

I've never actually played Monkey Island but always heard great things about it. Will be checking it out on XBLA for sure.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2009, 03:55:28 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on July 13, 2009, 03:33:29 PM

i want your impressions on Rise of the Argonauts Myto,also interested to know what you think of Star Ocean if you get ever to it icon_biggrin

Lol, yeah, Metal!  You will be the first one to know when Sacred 2 has retracted it's claws from me... Right now though, I can say that browsing through the guides of Argonauts and SO:LH makes me think I will like both of them.

Time will tell - a long time in my case, but still - I'll keep all of GT informed - since I'm certain that no one can get any work done until they see what I think of these games.  At least you and me, Metal, aren't constrained by all those silly "work issues" - which sucks of course (be careful what you wish for!) but still, if you can't work, you may as well live in fantasy land (which is generally better than Real Life!)

icon_razz

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2009, 04:44:40 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on July 13, 2009, 11:53:52 AM

NCAA 10 for the 360.

Ditto.....plus getting it for the PSP as well.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2009, 04:58:49 PM »

Completely forgot about Monkey Island, will be downloaded that for sure on PC.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2009, 05:02:09 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on July 13, 2009, 03:01:27 PM

FWIW people who got the game early and have had the game for a few days are giving mostly positive reviews of the on-field gameplay. 

I know,  EA SPorts is evil, blah, blah, blah.  So take those reviews with a grain of salt I guess.

That's all well and good, but I tried the demo and just didn't like it at all.

Besides, there is a clear pattern on how people react to the game. When it is first released, it gets almost universal praise (this applies to Madden as well). Then as people play the game more and more, patterns start to appear that are all too obvious. Maybe it's the computer throwing too many interceptions. Maybe the pursuit angles are screwed up. Then after awhile the good things fade away and all that's left are the glaring issues, and in the end people find what exploits work this year, which ones don't, and the games become predictable.

After 2008, I decided enough was enough. They have been making the games for too long for these problems to be still going on. I'm tired of playing a game that feels rushed, new features not working, things that worked last year now broken, all of it. So I'm going to keep my money until I feel like they actually have earned it. I made the same choice with Madden. I haven't purchased a Madden game in years except for the one that launched with the 360, and I wasn't going to until I thought they made significant improvements. From what I've read, this year could be the year I finally get Madden again.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2009, 05:35:14 PM »

Quote from: msteelers on July 13, 2009, 05:02:09 PM

Besides, there is a clear pattern on how people react to the game. When it is first released, it gets almost universal praise (this applies to Madden as well). Then as people play the game more and more, patterns start to appear that are all too obvious. Maybe it's the computer throwing too many interceptions. Maybe the pursuit angles are screwed up. Then after awhile the good things fade away and all that's left are the glaring issues, and in the end people find what exploits work this year, which ones don't, and the games become predictable.

After 2008, I decided enough was enough. They have been making the games for too long for these problems to be still going on. I'm tired of playing a game that feels rushed, new features not working, things that worked last year now broken, all of it. So I'm going to keep my money until I feel like they actually have earned it. I made the same choice with Madden. I haven't purchased a Madden game in years except for the one that launched with the 360, and I wasn't going to until I thought they made significant improvements. From what I've read, this year could be the year I finally get Madden again.

I've never tried one of these games, but a friend of mine reported the same issues in the latest pinball game, Zen Pinball I think its called - He said that after a while, he could predict the patterns the ball would go pretty much every time. I guess its hard to make a good physics engine that ISNT predictable

A new one
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2009, 05:44:36 PM »

Quote from: msteelers on July 13, 2009, 05:02:09 PM

I understand your points.  And I can agree with most of that.  I think it is impossible to create a football game that will please everybody.  Personally I want a game that lets me play a reasonable simulation of college football on the field.  Which I think has been delivered over the last few years.  Sure if you are going to analyse pursuit angles and TD/Int ratios people will find things to complain about.  The only sports games that have accurate stats are text based games.  Whenever you add people controlling the players manually some realism will go out the door automatically.  If "boycotting" the games gives you a rush than who am I to argue.  I prefer to just play the games and enjoy them for what they are.  If I get tired of them I trade them in just like any shooter that I grow tired of.

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2009, 05:58:14 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on July 13, 2009, 05:44:36 PM

I understand your points.  And I can agree with most of that.  I think it is impossible to create a football game that will please everybody.  Personally I want a game that lets me play a reasonable simulation of college football on the field.  Which I think has been delivered over the last few years.  Sure if you are going to analyse pursuit angles and TD/Int ratios people will find things to complain about.  The only sports games that have accurate stats are text based games.  Whenever you add people controlling the players manually some realism will go out the door automatically.  If "boycotting" the games gives you a rush than who am I to argue.  I prefer to just play the games and enjoy them for what they are.  If I get tired of them I trade them in just like any shooter that I grow tired of.

You have to realize that for some people (not me), over-analyzing this stuff is actually a more important part of the game than playing the game itself.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2009, 06:18:51 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on July 13, 2009, 05:58:14 PM

You have to realize that for some people (not me), over-analyzing this stuff is actually a more important part of the game than playing the game itself.

Oh I know.

I used to be one myself.   paranoid

mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2009, 06:31:44 PM »

Nuther nothing week.  Summer drought has hit big time imo.  Maybe August will see something worth picking up new. 

I am Xboxalot on Live.
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2009, 06:47:40 PM »

I got about halfway through Fallout 3 and then suddenly stopped playing in January (not sure why). I'm going to restart as a new character this week, which means I'm going to download all of the DLC before getting started so I have the entire world in front of me when I begin.

So, I'll be purchasing the Fallout 3 DLC this week.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2009, 06:51:06 PM »

is this monkey island the faithful recreation of the original or is this a new chapter?

if the latter, I'll definitely be getting it at some ponit.

otherwise, BF1943 is gonna probably carry me until Modern Warfare II.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2009, 07:01:05 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on July 13, 2009, 06:51:06 PM

is this monkey island the faithful recreation of the original or is this a new chapter?

Updated original.  Off the top of my head, it will let you relive the hilarious swashbuckling misadventures of the wannabe pirate Guybrush Threepwood as he attempts to become the most infamous pirate in the Caribbean! Back by popular demand, The Secret of Monkey Island™: Special Edition faithfully re-imagines the internationally-acclaimed classic pirate adventure game from LucasArts in gorgeous HD detail. Featuring an all new re-imagined contemporary art style, hand-drawn and presented in 1080p, complete voice over by members of the original Monkey Island™ franchise cast, a re-mastered musical score using live instruments, plus scene-for scene-hot swap to seamlessly transition between Special Edition and Classic modes at anytime.

More succinctly, I guess I'd say this game will provide you:
* Hilarious swashbuckling misadventures: Embark on a bumbling misadventure in an attempt to become the most infamous pirate in the Caribbean, win the heart of the beautiful governor, Elaine Marley, and confront the evil ghost pirate, LeChuck!
* High-definition graphics: The game is all-new and re-imagined with a contemporary art style, hand-drawn and presented in 1080p.
* Voiceover talent: Complete voice over using original Monkey Island franchise cast members brings the story and characters to life like never before.
* Renewed music score: Enjoy the re-mastered and re-recorded musical score using live instruments.
* Special Edition and Classic modes: Scene-for-scene hot swap lets you seamlessly transition between Special Edition and Classic modes at anytime during gameplay.
* Enhanced gameplay: The all-new intuitive game interface and controls provide a more interactive gameplay experience.
* Hint system: Not sure what to do next? The in-game puzzle hint system keeps the puzzles fresh and fun.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2009, 07:01:31 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on July 13, 2009, 06:51:06 PM

It is the original with new art, music and voiceovers. You can switch back to the old version by pressing a key at any time if you like. There's nothing new in it apart from that.

On the other hand, the NEW Monkey Island game was released last week. That's technically MI5, and is going to be released in five chapters. Last week was chapter 1. Well worth picking up.
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2009, 07:15:59 PM »

I understand your points.  And I can agree with most of that.  I think it is impossible to create a football game that will please everybody. 

I disagree with that. Working sliders helps a lot towards customizing the playing experience, and making the game more or less realistic, or at least playing the way that I want it to be played. It's a tired comparison, but I have to use NFL 2K5 as an example here. I HATED that game when I first got it. The franchise mode was completely broken, and on default settings the games were blowouts. But I found a set of sliders online to make the game more realistic, and all of a sudden I couldn't put the game down. I felt like I was actually controlling a real football game, where four yards was a successful running play, and first downs were things to celebrate.

Personally I want a game that lets me play a reasonable simulation of college football on the field.  Which I think has been delivered over the last few years.  Sure if you are going to analyse pursuit angles and TD/Int ratios people will find things to complain about.  The only sports games that have accurate stats are text based games.  Whenever you add people controlling the players manually some realism will go out the door automatically.  If "boycotting" the games gives you a rush than who am I to argue.  I prefer to just play the games and enjoy them for what they are.  If I get tired of them I trade them in just like any shooter that I grow tired of.

I'm glad that you have thought the game was good the last few years, but IMO it has lost a lot of it's college football feel. And there's no realism in calling the same play that works over and over again, or having DB's magically knock down passes that they aren't anywhere near because that's their way of making the completion percentages more accurate, or taking away an abundance of deep passes.

The reason I'm "boycotting" isn't for a rush, it's because I don't have much disposable money to go around. $60 is a lot to spend on a game that isn't what I want. That's why the games that I do purchase are the ones that can be played for weeks and months. NCAA used to be at the top of that list, because it offered so many different ways to play and hit many different genres (RTS with the dynasty mode, RPG with the legend mode, all wrapped around a damn good football game).

I want a game that is relatively realistic, with no glaring glitches or plays that are unbeatable. Guys who are out of position should be exploited, and not unblockable. I want a deep Dynasty mode and/or a deep legend mode that offers more than just a fun on-field game. I don't need or want new tackling animations, or camera flyovers on the kick-off. And I certainly don't want to have field goal nets and camera flashes from the stands listed as exciting new features. It's not what I want, so I don't buy it.

msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2009, 08:35:53 PM »

First time in many years that I haven't even been the least bit tempted by NCAA Football. I may pick up Monkey Island on XBLA, though.

For the first time, I'm actually going to rush out and buy the NCAA game.    Alabama is decent this year -- for the past decade we've sucked on the NCAA Football series.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: