http://gamingtrend.com
December 18, 2014, 10:42:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you buying this week? (6/15)  (Read 3744 times)
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2009, 05:48:18 PM »

Quote from: spigot on June 15, 2009, 04:05:04 PM

I"m gonna be bustin' ghosts with the fellas later on tonight.

Tonight?  Where did you find it?

Quote from: Big Jake on June 15, 2009, 05:46:12 PM

Quote from: Razgon on June 15, 2009, 01:54:49 PM

Quote from: DocD on June 15, 2009, 01:53:00 PM

Who ya gonna buy? Ghostbusters!
I must have missed the hype here? Why is everyone buying a game based on a 20 year old movie? I'm not saying its bad, but... How do you guys know its that interesting? It has no MP as well?

Razgon, you're first two sentences are eerily almost exactly the one I posed several months back.  

And Bullwinkle, all professional reviews of Suda 51 games have to be approached with the knowledge that since he is waaaaay out in left field that he will automatically lose a few points in any review.

Not true.  Killer 7 and No More Heroes were both well reviewed.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2009, 05:50:23 PM »

Quote from: Caine on June 15, 2009, 05:29:55 PM

Quote from: coopasonic on June 15, 2009, 04:17:50 PM

Quote from: coopasonic on June 15, 2009, 03:18:28 PM

will be watching ghostbusters impressions with my credit card in my hand...

just saw toys r us is doing a $20 gift card w/ ghostbusters on consoles... hurry up with those impressions!

goodbye reservations, hello TRU

For what it's worth, Toys 'R Us was running an identical deal last week for all versions of Prototype, but despite checking every day, none of the three stores near me ever got a single copy in stock.  You might want to wait until you have your game and gift card in-hand before canceling that reservation.

-Autistic Angel
spigot

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2009, 06:24:00 PM »

The Gamestops by me are having a midnight opening. Guess it wasn't advertised since I woulda figured they would announce midnight opening locations on their website. I got recorded call from Dan Akroyd telling me about it, which was pretty cool.

Quote from: Bullwinkle on June 15, 2009, 05:48:18 PM

Quote from: spigot on June 15, 2009, 04:05:04 PM

I"m gonna be bustin' ghosts with the fellas later on tonight.

Tonight?  Where did you find it?

« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 07:04:28 PM by spigot » Logged

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2009, 06:34:22 PM »

I must have missed the hype here? Why is everyone buying a game based on a 20 year old movie? I'm not saying its bad, but... How do you guys know its that interesting? It has no MP as well?

There isn't much hype anywhere, but it's Ghostbusters, it doesn't need it. Who cares how old the movie is. The first one was excellent and the second one was alright. If there's one movie that deserves a "reboot"(god I hate that term) it's ghostbusters and not all these stupid super hero movies that no one gives a shit about. Luckily we are getting 3rd movie thanks to the game, so there's that now too.

Um, you hunt and capture ghosts. It's got almost all the original cast. It was co-written by Akroyd and ramis. Of course it's going to be interesting and fun.

There is MP. not sure where you read there isn't. Well only ps3 and 360 have it, but why get it for any other system anyways. Any fan of the movies should be all over this imo.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2009, 06:46:40 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on June 15, 2009, 03:18:28 PM

will be watching ghostbusters impressions with my credit card in my hand...

So will I.  Game Informer gave it a 8 if U remember correctly.  Major complaint was game play gets repetitive towards the end

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 15, 2009, 06:51:12 PM »

Anyone have any pros/cons over 360 or PS3? I was going to get PC, but I think i want the MP option.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2009, 06:59:37 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on June 15, 2009, 06:34:22 PM

There isn't much hype anywhere, but it's Ghostbusters, it doesn't need it. Who cares how old the movie is. The first one was excellent and the second one was alright. If there's one movie that deserves a "reboot"(god I hate that term) it's ghostbusters and not all these stupid super hero movies that no one gives a shit about. Luckily we are getting 3rd movie thanks to the game, so there's that now too.

Um, you hunt and capture ghosts. It's got almost all the original cast. It was co-written by Akroyd and ramis. Of course it's going to be interesting and fun.

There is MP. not sure where you read there isn't. Well only ps3 and 360 have it, but why get it for any other system anyways. Any fan of the movies should be all over this imo.

Well, I agree with your post in general, but your comment about super hero movies seems offtrack given how successful they are at the box office.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Cragmyre

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2009, 07:21:23 PM »

I'll be getting Magic and Ghostbusters for the XBox 360.  Speaking of Ghostbusters, I saw on some entertainment show that they are filming the 3rd movie.

I suffer from EGADD - Electronic Gaming Attention Deficit Disorder
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2009, 07:22:46 PM »

I think I have to get Eduardo the Samurai Toaster. I'm not even sure I want it.

PSN ID: EduardoX
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2009, 07:31:29 PM »

Quote from: Eduardo X on June 15, 2009, 07:22:46 PM

I think I have to get Eduardo the Samurai Toaster. I'm not even sure I want it.

I think you do to. 

- -

I'll probably pick up Magic, even though I'm not a collectable card game player at all.  I always wanted to get into them, but was a bit intimidated when I would go to hobby shops and watch people play.  That was some scary stuff right there.  Playing this game seems pretty safe though.

Regarding Ghostbusters:  Is it like an adventure/rpg/action game?  Maybe I need to read some previews...

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 15, 2009, 07:33:09 PM »

Ah, must have mixed the PC version up with ALL versions then, if there is MP in the console versions.  But, I dont understand that just because the movie was great, this should be as well? Is it "just" a matter of loving the franchise then that has people so excited? Dont get me wrong, the game could be the greatest thing since butter, but then again, it may not be, and as I said, I just didnt see anywhere why the game should get everyone so excited, so I figured I had missed something :-)

DAMN its hard to ttype when I cant see my text, due to this strange qouteing bug...

A new one
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 15, 2009, 07:48:07 PM »

Not sure what jersoc is talking about with the lack of hype.  Seems like everyone has been talking about it for months, between the licensing issues and as the game started to actually look good.  Maybe it's that the articles haven't been promotional so much as enthusiasm-based.

It's certainly not that good movie = good game.  If anything, the reverse is true, usually.  As mentioned, though, the previews have all been pretty positive gameplay and story-wise.  And the reviews have been coming for a couple of weeks now, and nearly all of them are saying they "got" Ghostbusters.

At least for me, that's where the excitement is coming from.  It's like that formula should work (good movie = good game), so when it seems like it does, it's great!

jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 15, 2009, 08:04:44 PM »

I'm not sure why people are treating it like a movie tie. You do realize it's been like 2 decades since the last movie, right? It's not like those piece of shit games that come out with every movie that took 6 months, if that, to make. They aren't capitalizing on any movie momentum at all. That alone should scream a game with a real development cycle. I'm pretty sure Akroyd wouldn't have gotten on board if this was going to be a bomber service to ghostbusters fans.

Hell, this game is short and I almost refuse to never buy a game less than 12 hours, but I will for this because it's ghostbusters!

There's a lot of hype now, obviously because the game is out, but there wasn't a hole lot of hype even during E3. Which is understandable, a lot of good games were shown it's easy to overshadow something that was coming out in 2 weeks after E3.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 15, 2009, 08:11:48 PM »

I liked Ghostbusters when I was younger. But in my opinion the franchise hasn't aged well.  Also all of the previews I've seen have looked pretty average to me.  I may rent it at some point.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 15, 2009, 08:17:45 PM »

Game comes out day-and-date with expensive summer blockbuster=crappy licensed movie tie in game
game based on 20 year old movie shepherded to release by original creators despite many obstacles=labor of love deserving benefit of the doubt
Simon

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 15, 2009, 10:50:42 PM »

Ghostbusters here. Early reviews have been decent and I'm more than happy to be entertained by those guys again.
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 15, 2009, 11:16:09 PM »

Magic on XBLA

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 15, 2009, 11:26:28 PM »

Magic on XBLA
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 15, 2009, 11:49:36 PM »

How much is Magic on xbla?

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
KC

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 16, 2009, 12:04:16 AM »

Sam and Max and Magic the Gathering on XBLA
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: June 16, 2009, 12:43:44 AM »

Quote from: Pyperkub on June 15, 2009, 11:49:36 PM

Don't quote me on this, but I thought it was 800 points.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: June 16, 2009, 12:47:45 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on June 16, 2009, 12:43:44 AM

ok, but if it's not 800, we are coming for you

Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 16, 2009, 01:35:20 AM »

Quote from: Caine on June 16, 2009, 12:47:45 AM

Major Nelson has it as 800.  I have a feeling there will some micro transactions and/or add ons for this too....

Of course, online tournaments could be  fun too...

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 16, 2009, 02:19:12 AM »

Quote from: Caine on June 16, 2009, 12:47:45 AM

Better buy it quick before they figure out it really was supposed to have been 1200 points.  icon_twisted

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: June 16, 2009, 05:55:00 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on June 15, 2009, 05:50:23 PM

Quote from: Caine on June 15, 2009, 05:29:55 PM

Quote from: coopasonic on June 15, 2009, 04:17:50 PM

just saw toys r us is doing a $20 gift card w/ ghostbusters on consoles... hurry up with those impressions!
goodbye reservations, hello TRU
For what it's worth, Toys 'R Us was running an identical deal last week for all versions of Prototype, but despite checking every day, none of the three stores near me ever got a single copy in stock.  You might want to wait until you have your game and gift card in-hand before canceling that reservation.

Picked it up today, no line, no problem. Used my $20 gift card from the Prototype deal last week and got another $20 gift card to use next time.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
ibdoomed

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 16, 2009, 06:29:48 PM »

At my TRU this morning there were 20+ people waiting for the wii version because of the control and coop, and 3 or 4 getting the 360/ps3 version. I guess it depends more on if you have RL friends to play with or online friends.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 16, 2009, 06:37:22 PM »

Quote from: ibdoomed on June 16, 2009, 06:29:48 PM

At my TRU this morning there were 20+ people waiting for the wii version because of the control and coop, and 3 or 4 getting the 360/ps3 version. I guess it depends more on if you have RL friends to play with or online friends.

There are more Wii consoles than 360 consoles, that probably explains your numbers.  I'm a big fan of local co-op but if I get it, it will be the 360 version for the graphics.  Also, I hate my Wii.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 16, 2009, 06:57:02 PM »

Rocket Riot is also being released for XBLA tomorrow,which takes the tally of XBLA titles to 3(for tomorrow i mean)...last week we had 4 or 5 didn't we?

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/19966/A-Third-Xbox-Live-Arcade-Title-Confirmed-for-Tomorrow/

800 points
    * 80 single-player themed missions with a variety of goals.
    * Four multiplayer modes against up to eight players on Xbox LIVE or up to four players on a single screen.
    * Character customization with players selecting their soldier’s color, armor and more.
    * Player power-ups increase a character’s destructive powers or humorous disadvantages, including guided rockets, massive block destruction, rocket magnetism, and dizzy missiles.

is this a worms type game?

« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 06:59:51 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 16, 2009, 10:27:26 PM »

IIRC, it is a bit like worms, but the characters can buzz around more freely (also, I think it may be real-time, not turn-based).

I'm going off of a hazy memory of something I read a month or so ago.

EDIT:  IGN just gave it an 8.5.

Rocket Riot is simple arcade fun candy coated with brilliant pixel art. The destructible environments allow for some highly enjoyable chaos in both single- and multiplayer modes. Dual-stick shooters have risen in popularity in recent years, and this one has enough personality and charm to set it apart from the pack.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 12:45:14 AM by Bullwinkle » Logged

mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: June 16, 2009, 10:52:29 PM »

Nothing on that list for moi.  As a matter of fact I can't think of anything til Heavy Rain.  Whenever that is.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 17, 2009, 03:04:54 AM »

IGN has a review for Rocket Riot here.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 17, 2009, 12:18:42 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on June 17, 2009, 03:04:54 AM

IGN has a review for Rocket Riot here.

If only someone would post a score and summary somewhere... icon_wink

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 17, 2009, 12:31:47 PM »

Quote from: mikeg on June 16, 2009, 10:52:29 PM

Nothing on that list for moi.  As a matter of fact I can't think of anything til Heavy Rain.  Whenever that is.

Wiki has a early 2010 release icon_confused...i thought they said Fall 2009 at E3 though,i could be wrong actually,as they didn't really show that much of it at the Sony presentation

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 17, 2009, 12:51:54 PM »

Neither Rocket Riot nor Magic: The Gatering are up, though the Sam & Max collection is.  Usually everything is available by this time.

ibdoomed

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 17, 2009, 02:01:05 PM »

Quote from: skystride on June 16, 2009, 06:37:22 PM

Quote from: ibdoomed on June 16, 2009, 06:29:48 PM

There are more Wii consoles than 360 consoles, that probably explains your numbers.  I'm a big fan of local co-op but if I get it, it will be the 360 version for the graphics.  Also, I hate my Wii.

That also explains why the group consensus of nerds that claim to own all three consoles (my nerdy self included) was control being more important than pretty.

And you shouldn't hate your wii, you should play with it more often.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 17, 2009, 02:20:26 PM »

magic on xbla

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 17, 2009, 03:51:38 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on June 17, 2009, 12:51:54 PM

Neither Rocket Riot nor Magic: The Gatering are up, though the Sam & Max collection is.  Usually everything is available by this time.

Both are online now.  Not sure about on XBLM, as I'm mid-Marshmallow Man. 

EDIT:  They are both listed on XBLM, neither can be downloaded as of yet.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 06:04:40 PM by Bullwinkle » Logged

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 17, 2009, 06:05:58 PM »

Fat Princess is rumored to be hitting PSN this week!

http://playstationlifestyle.net/2009/06/17/rumored-ps-store-content-for-06182009/

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 18, 2009, 08:11:36 AM »

Rocket Riot is a lot of fun - it's kind of like a real-time version of Worms.  If I weren't already getting MTG, I'd buy this.  I'll definitely get it down the road sometime.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: June 18, 2009, 05:48:41 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on June 17, 2009, 06:05:58 PM

If true, I'll be getting that.  Just in case, let me go check out the updated PSN network names list for here.  I never did finish updating after they finally upped the 50 person limit.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: