http://gamingtrend.com
November 28, 2014, 08:35:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you buying this week? (4/6)  (Read 3837 times)
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« on: April 06, 2009, 01:23:27 PM »

When you're out there buying your DSis this week, remember - the DSi is for kids, and the PSP is for winners.

PS2:
Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus

PS3:
Hannah Montana: The Movie
The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena
The Godfather II

PSP:
Air Conflicts: Aces of World War II
Dragonball Evolution
Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus
Hammerin’ Hero

360:
Ninja Blade
The Godfather II
Flock (XBLA)
Puzzle Quest Galactrix (XBLA)

Wii:
Deer Drive
Escape the Museum
Gravity
Uncharted Waters: New Horizons (VC - SNES)
EQUILIBRIO (WiiWare)

DS:
Gravity
Nintendo DSi
Rhythm Heaven
Art Style: AQUIA (DSi)
Bird & Beans (DSi)
Brain Age Express: Math (DSi)
Master of Illusion Express: Funny Face (DSi)
Nintendo DSi Browser (DSi)
WarioWare: Snapped! (DSi)

PC:
Company of Heroes: Tales of Valor
DCS: Black Shark
Elven Legacy
The Godfather II

Quite a few good games due out this week - I've heard good things on both Riddick and Godfather 2, and I just might grab one or the other if the old budget allows.

What are you buying this week?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 07:09:34 PM by Destructor » Logged

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 01:26:33 PM »

Godfather II, just not sure on the platform... or the "when".

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 01:28:29 PM »

aarrghh - do NOT, I repeat, do NOT let my daugther see this list, ever! Or I'll have to buy "Hannan Montana - the movie" for the ps3....

A new one
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 01:50:49 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on April 06, 2009, 01:28:29 PM

aarrghh - do NOT, I repeat, do NOT let my daugther see this list, ever! Or I'll have to buy "Hannan Montana - the movie" for the ps3....
icon_lol

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 01:52:14 PM »

Maybe Company of Heroes.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 02:25:22 PM »

Godfather II - the impressions thread has convinced me

maybe DCS: Black Shark - I'd like to support complex sims.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 02:26:23 PM »

Almost certainly Godfather 2, but I'm not sure when.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2009, 02:36:28 PM »

I purchased Lego Indiana Jones for the 360 and Professor Layton and the Curious Village for the DS because they were each on sale this week at Best Buy.

Godfather II was interesting, but it seems like the people playing it have grown weary of it very quickly.  I'll probably wait for that to drop in price over the coming months.  Same goes for Riddick: Dark Athena where the reviews so far have been pretty unkind.

The new Company of Heroes is a guaranteed sale this week, though.

-Autistic Angel
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2009, 02:36:52 PM »

Godfather 2, just not sure which platform, either PC or 360.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2009, 02:39:00 PM »

Chronicles of Riddick and Ninja Blade will be a rentals for me this week. GodFather II is tempting, but I'm going to hold off for a while.
I wish I knew what this weeks VC and WiiWare games are; I went looking at all my regular sources, but there's no NA announcements yet. Looks like Bullwinkle is having problems tracking them down too.  icon_confused
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2009, 02:39:19 PM »

Well, I was going to snag Class of Heroes for the PSP, but that's been pushed back to June.

So, nothing for me unless Outrun 2 is hitting XBLA!

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2009, 03:08:45 PM »

I want to pick up Chronicles of Riddick, but I may wait until it gets a sale.  Still can't decide if I want PC (where I played the first one's superior Director's Cut) or 360.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2009, 03:26:03 PM »

Riddick on the 360 for me.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2009, 03:29:12 PM »

WiiWare

EQUILIBRIO (DK-GAMES, 1-4 players, Rated E for Everyone, 500 Wii Points): In EQUILIBRIO, you must finish a series of levels by moving a ball toward an exit. To move the ball, hold the Wii Remote™ controller horizontally and turn it to tilt the playfield. You can also play using the Wii Balance Board™ (sold separately with Wii Fit). The ball is fragile, so don't let it fall too far, and be sure to avoid deadly obstacles such as spikes and acid pools. The difficulty of the game adjusts according to your skill. Will you be tough enough to complete all 64 levels?

Virtual Console

Uncharted Waters: New Horizons (Super NES™, 1 player, Rated E for Everyone – Mild Cartoon Violence, Simulated Gambling, 800 Wii Points): Uncharted Waters: New Horizons is a game set in the Age of Discovery, the golden era of European global exploration during the early 16th century. There are six different characters to choose from, all with different backgrounds and different motivations. Once you've chosen a character to play, you're free to sail the world's oceans as you wish, visiting a variety of exotic ports and making thrilling new discoveries.
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2009, 03:30:09 PM »

SHIT!!!!! That Uncharted Waters sounds fun.  eek Could my Wii actually be turned on this week?

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
Pharaoh

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2009, 03:31:41 PM »

Godfather II & Ninja Blade
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2009, 03:38:27 PM »

Riddick, eventually.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2009, 04:48:35 PM »

And for all of you who own the DSi, here's the games for it this week:

Nintendo DSi Browser (Nintendo, 1 player, 0 Nintendo DSi Points):
Get on the Web with ease using the Nintendo DSi Browser. Powered by Opera, this simple-to-use Web browser is made specifically for the Nintendo DSi system, providing a seamless and intuitive browsing experience that makes the most of the system's touch controls and two-screen interface. Check e-mail, get the latest news updates and more – wherever a wireless Internet connection is available. Just grab your stylus and start surfing.

Bird & Beans™ (Nintendo, 1 player, Rated E for Everyone, 200 Nintendo DSi Points):
In Bird & Beans, you control Pyoro, a small bird with an elastic tongue and an insatiable appetite for beans. Scramble to catch beans that fall from the sky, racking up points as you go. The farther away the bean, the more points it's worth. Beware any beans that are missed – they'll leave a hole in the ground that can't be crossed, potentially trapping Pyoro. Bird & Beans also features a second version that enables Pyoro to spit seeds at high speed, bringing down more beans than ever before. This fun and fast-paced game requires skill and strategy to master, and always leaves you wanting to play just one more time.

Master of Illusion™ Express: Funny Face (Nintendo, 1 player, Rated E for Everyone, 200 Nintendo DSi Points):
Master of Illusion Express titles are mind-boggling magic tricks pulled from the popular Nintendo DS™ game. Learn the illusions, practice up and amaze your friends. Master of Illusion Express: Funny Face uses your Nintendo DSi system as a prop in a card trick. Draw a face on the touch-sensitive screen and astound your audience as the face tells them which playing card they picked. Also included is the bonus Vanishing Card trick, which the Nintendo DSi system performs for your enjoyment.

Art Style™: AQUIA™ (Nintendo, 1 player, Rated E for Everyone, 500 Nintendo DSi Points):
Dive into Art Style: AQUIA, a fast-paced underwater puzzle game that asks you to think fast and move even faster. Help a scuba diver reach the ocean's floor by matching three or more colored blocks horizontally or vertically. The more blocks you match, the faster the diver will descend. Fail to clear blocks and the diver's air supply will start to run out, causing darkness to creep in from above and cloud your vision. Race against time in TIMED DIVE, dive deep in FREE DIVE mode or visit the AQUARIUM to view various sea creatures. Like every game in the Art Style series, AQUIA features elegant design, polished graphics and pick-up-and-play controls, creating an experience that focuses purely on fun and engaging game play.

WarioWare™: Snapped! (Nintendo, 1-2 players, Rated E for Everyone – Comic Mischief, 500 Nintendo DSi Points):
Wario™ returns with more manic action made especially for the Nintendo DSi system. WarioWare: Snapped! uses the built-in Nintendo DSi Camera to make players the star of the show by placing them right into fast-paced mini-games. Take part in wacky challenges simply by moving your face and body as you travel along four wild roller coasters, hosted by Wario and his pals. Beat the mini-games using motions ranging from large to small, or play with a friend for even more fun. Wario even has a few tricks up his sleeve.

Brain Age™ Express: Math (Nintendo, 1 player, Rated E for Everyone, 800 Nintendo DSi Points):
In this math-focused edition of the popular Brain Age series, players can enjoy a mix of new and familiar exercises, including Change Maker, Triangle Math, Sum Totaled and Multi Tasker. A new Themes mode includes drawing, photography and voice acting challenges, letting you share your creativity with friends and family. And if you need a break from your routine, the always-enjoyable Virus Buster makes its return.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2009, 05:06:43 PM »

Quote from: Eel Snave on April 06, 2009, 03:29:12 PM

Uncharted Waters: New Horizons (Super NES™, 1 player, Rated E for Everyone – Mild Cartoon Violence, Simulated Gambling, 800 Wii Points): Uncharted Waters: New Horizons is a game set in the Age of Discovery, the golden era of European global exploration during the early 16th century. There are six different characters to choose from, all with different backgrounds and different motivations. Once you've chosen a character to play, you're free to sail the world's oceans as you wish, visiting a variety of exotic ports and making thrilling new discoveries.

This does sound very interesting, although I'm not so sure about how well it will worked/works as a turn-based strategy game. I don't know anyone who's played it, but it seems to have quite a following around the Internet. Unlike the above marketing blurb, both vc-reviews.com and nintendo.com list the game as having 2-player support. That and the $8 price tag clinches the deal for me.  slywink thumbsup
Old Negus

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2009, 05:14:47 PM »

Oh no! I was going to post how the DSi has no real appeal for me, apart from the larger screens. I would rather buy a PSP and check that out than do yet another upgrade to my DS.

But then I saw the Warioware game.... sounds like a lot of fun.

But no, I will resist. I will.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2009, 05:20:27 PM »

On XBLA This week:

Puzzle Quest Galactrix (1600 spacebucks)
Flock (1200 spacebucks)
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2009, 05:24:06 PM »

No Majora's Mask on VC this week = NOA Fail.

Probably going to pick up Penny Arcade Adventures at the reduced price this week.    Will be getting Art Style: AQUIA and WarioWare with my 1000 free points when my DSi is delivered today. 

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2009, 05:26:48 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on April 06, 2009, 05:06:43 PM

Quote from: Eel Snave on April 06, 2009, 03:29:12 PM

This does sound very interesting, although I'm not so sure about how well it will worked/works as a turn-based strategy game. I don't know anyone who's played it, but it seems to have quite a following around the Internet. Unlike the above marketing blurb, both vc-reviews.com and nintendo.com list the game as having 2-player support. That and the $8 price tag clinches the deal for me.  slywink thumbsup

Uncharted Waters: New Horizons was one of my favorite SNES games. I played it for a week straight one summer. I'm not sure how well it ages, but it was a very well executed RPG for its day. It's been a long time since I played it, but if I remember correctly, you could be an explorer, a trader, and/or a pirate, and although aspects of each role overlap, the game could play pretty differently depending on what you tried to focus on. More so than any game I've played, it captured the feel of sailing across the ocean to the New World, or sailing around the horn of Africa.

There were some things that I remember not liking very much (combat, perhaps?). I remember playing a trader/explorer and sailing the world making discoveries, which was a ton of fun and very well implemented. I got so into the trading that I made an Excel spreadsheet to track the prices of goods at all the different ports.

I'm not sure I'd put it on my list of top 10 games, but I would put in on my top 10 list of "memorable gaming experiences".
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 03:19:08 AM by Godzilla Blitz » Logged

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2009, 05:37:41 PM »

If I lack self-restraint, I'll be picking up Riddick, The Godfather II, and Ninja Blade. If I restrain myself, probably just The Godfather II. I haven't decided between the 360 or PC route.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2009, 05:38:07 PM »

I want Riddick to have Butcher Bay on the current platform. That it also comes with Dark Athena is icing on the cake for me, even if the new campaign is short and not as good as Butcher Bay. I'll hold off on Godfather II for a bit because I flat out don't have the time for something that involving.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2009, 06:34:12 PM »

I got the new DSi, marking my 3rd DS.
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2009, 09:08:03 PM »

Thinking about purchasing Company of Heroes, Dark Athena, a DSi, and maybe Godfather 2.  I have been sick for the last 6 days though, so I might just save my money.

mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2009, 09:30:43 PM »

Nothing on the list, for certain.  I just bought 3 DS games and Left4Dead, plus I have Persona 4 waiting for me (along with the rest of the backlog of course.)

Quote from: Old Negus on April 06, 2009, 05:14:47 PM

Oh no! I was going to post how the DSi has no real appeal for me, apart from the larger screens. I would rather buy a PSP and check that out than do yet another upgrade to my DS.

But then I saw the Warioware game.... sounds like a lot of fun.

But no, I will resist. I will.

Negus, resisting gets easier the more you do it... you know, if you can start the process.  icon_razz

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2009, 11:27:32 PM »

Godfather II for sure.

"The function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectable" - John Kenneth Galbraith
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2009, 11:39:00 PM »

Uncharted Waters: New Horizons Uncharted Waters: New Horizons Uncharted Waters: New Horizons Uncharted Waters: New Horizons Uncharted Waters: New Horizons Uncharted Waters: New Horizons Uncharted Waters: New Horizons Uncharted Waters: New Horizons Uncharted Waters: New Horizons Uncharted Waters: New Horizons Uncharted Waters: New Horizons Uncharted Waters: New Horizons Uncharted Waters: New Horizons Uncharted Waters: New Horizons Uncharted Waters: New Horizons Uncharted Waters: New Horizons Uncharted Waters: New Horizons

This was one of the first games that popped in to my head when the VC was announced. I loved the Koei SNES titles, and this was one of my favorites.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
KC

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2009, 12:03:44 AM »

I got Phantasy Star Portable from Gamestop's sale on Sunday.  I also promised my daughter the Hannah Montana game for her DS.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2009, 12:11:08 AM »

as Riddick isnt out until the end of the month here in Neanderthal UK disgust....i may buy Godfather 2,but i am not entirely 100% for it,i have heard mixed views..i loved the first one to bits

its either that or Resi 5 which i never did get,and i can only get one game crybaby

slightly off topic:is it still true that the new riddick game has a remake of the old riddick game(escape from butcher bay) included?..so its,2 games in 1?

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2009, 01:11:46 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on April 07, 2009, 12:11:08 AM

slightly off topic:is it still true that the new riddick game has a remake of the old riddick game(escape from butcher bay) included?..so its,2 games in 1?

That is correct.

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2009, 06:31:52 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on April 07, 2009, 12:11:08 AM

as Riddick isnt out until the end of the month here in Neanderthal UK disgust....i may buy Godfather 2,but i am not entirely 100% for it,i have heard mixed views..i loved the first one to bits

its either that or Resi 5 which i never did get,and i can only get one game crybaby

Unless you already have someone in mind to partner up with for coop, you might wanna stick to something more solo-friendly. RE5 fails as a single-player game.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2009, 02:09:27 PM »

I wouldn't exactly say that RE5 fails as a single player game - it's just a shitload more fun with a friend controlling the second player.

Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2009, 03:05:39 PM »

Company of Heroes: Tales of Valor. Already pre-ordered.

kathode

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2009, 03:25:12 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on April 07, 2009, 02:09:27 PM

I wouldn't exactly say that RE5 fails as a single player game - it's just a shitload more fun with a friend controlling the second player.

It fails as a game completely when you get to the part with the one-hit-kill alligators IMO.
Pharaoh

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2009, 03:29:56 PM »

Kath, you should try playing at Veteran-Professional, where the QTE events have a window of Ooooooo...tenth of a second?

I loved the game, but its got far too many gotch-ya insta deaths.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2009, 03:45:32 PM »

Quote from: kathode on April 08, 2009, 03:25:12 PM

Quote from: Destructor on April 07, 2009, 02:09:27 PM

It fails as a game completely when you get to the part with the one-hit-kill alligators IMO.

All you have to do is dodge them.  There's only like 4 or 5 of them.  Did that really break the game for you?

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2009, 04:41:16 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on April 08, 2009, 03:45:32 PM

Did that really break the game for you?

Not exactly, but it's just an example of unnecessary suck.  So far it's been a mediocre game with amazing graphics.  I haven't found a lot to really like beyond that.  The controls are annoying, the dialog is annoying, and getting told I suck at the end of each level is annoying.  I enjoyed the rail shooter segment from the back of the truck.  That was ok.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: