http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 06:47:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you buying this week? (4/17)  (Read 1951 times)
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« on: April 17, 2006, 01:33:54 PM »

Very short list (I blame the upcoming E3 for this) this week:

360:
Final Fantasy XI

PS2:
Final Fantasy XI Online: Treasures of Aht Urhgan
Franklin: A Birthday Surprise
Tokyo Xtreme Racer: Drift
Jampack Volume 14

PSP:
World Poker Tour
Puzzle Challenge: Crosswords & More!
WRC: FIA World Rally Championship

DS:
Brain Age: Train Your Brain in Minutes A Day

PC:
Dreamfall: The Longest Journey
Take Command 2nd Manassas
Ultimate Flight Collection

IMHO: Remember - friends don't let friends buy FFXI, unless they realize that they absolutely can not solo (short of one class which you can't become unless you 'gain' it for a quest at 30ish) once you hit about 12-15. And that the game is a total grind of slaughtering mobs until you fall asleep at that point.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2006, 01:36:21 PM »

Probably just Brain Age, but man I want FFXI so bad for the 360.  I played it on PC and loved it, but finally stopped because of the afore-mentioned lack of soloing ability.  I fear I will eventually break down and buy it, though.  Hopefully I can be strong.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2006, 01:44:40 PM »

Dreamfall for me.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2006, 01:47:07 PM »

Brain Age only.  I'll get Dreamfall when I can play it on the 360.  Otherwise, I won't be able to give the game the time it needs.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2006, 01:55:01 PM »

Brain Age.  FFXI keeps on calling to me, but having quit about a year ago, I seriously don't have the time to play that excellent MMO anymore.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2006, 02:24:48 PM »

final fantasy 11 for the 360 for me.....and then i really must stop buying games for a while and pay some bills :cry:

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2006, 03:06:16 PM »

Brain Age

Dreamfall when I finally get around to finishing TLJ  :oops:
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2006, 03:29:14 PM »

Not a darn thing, still working on finishing Obliv so I can pick up Tomb Raider from last week's list.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2006, 03:35:30 PM »

I will eventually get FFXI ... I don't have time right now.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2006, 04:26:27 PM »

Tempted by FFXI only because of my giant throbbing Blue Mage fetish.

Mechanics be damned, if I can play a Blue Mage, I will endure any torment.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2006, 04:46:54 PM »

Brain Age  Cool

TheMissingLink on PSN
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2006, 04:58:21 PM »

Nothing.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2006, 07:33:57 PM »

What is it with you all and FFXI? The game IS terrible (IMHO), simply because of the forced grouping mechanics that are ruining Dungeons and Dragons: Online (yes, I realize that D&D is group based in Pen and Paper, but that's not my point here).

After the likes of WoW, all MMOs need to have some sort of solo content when you don't have the time to assemble a group and travel around. And FFXI doesn't have that at all. Period (unless you love the level 1-15 game).

As for me this week, I really should pick up Dreamfall, just to show that I support the Adventure genre that's woefully dead.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
depward

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2006, 07:50:12 PM »

FFXI is the best MMO I've played.  I just don't have the time to commit to playing it like I did before.

Forced grouping mechanics isn't something that's always a downfall if you like interacting with others.  I found the group dynamic in FFXI particularily interesting.  Sure, there was a "cookie-cutter" party set-up which was ideal, but then again I was in a party with three other Black Mages, myself (Black Mage), a Paladin, and a White Mage.  And that was a night to remember!  Probably the best exp/hour rate I've ever had.

Graphics are very nice, the story is well done, missions/quests are varied, crafting (stronger than most crafting in other MMOs), PvP, even more PvP with the expansion, airships, chocobos, it's a great MMO.

You obviously never played as a Beastmaster.  That's a solo class for you right there.

I just really enjoyed it.  Battles were fun (Skillchains and Magic Bursts RAWK), it was fun just exploring with friends, going to places we never had gone before, I liked the Promyvion runs I made, it was a good MMO.  And the expansion seems like a REAL expansion, which Chains of Promathia really kinda wasn't.

Certainly, MMO preference changes with everyone's opinion.  I LIKED FFXI's grind whereas other hate it.  But I do think FFXI does have some well-done MMO elements.

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2006, 08:33:03 PM »

Holy shit, they had Brain Age today - OFF TO MAKE AN IMPRESSIONS THREAD!

TheMissingLink on PSN
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2006, 08:42:14 PM »

Nothing for me unless Brain Age is really really good.

edit : totally missed Dreamfall coming out this week.  I need to decide on XBox or the PC version.  But requires 7 Gigs of HD space??!  :shock:

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2006, 02:38:47 AM »

Jampack Volume 14

Seriously.  I have all of them. biggrin
Wonder what's on it...

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2006, 03:16:57 AM »

I would probably buy any MMORPG released for the 360......

Except FFXI.  No endless grinding for me thanks.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2006, 05:00:53 AM »

Dreamfall: The Longest Journey 2 for me.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2006, 05:13:15 AM »

Possibly.....

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2006, 12:26:42 PM »

Still gong strong in my decision not to buy FFXI and a wireless keyboard, but man I think I am going to crack....

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2006, 02:10:43 PM »

Give in.....I did.

Final Fantasy XI and Brain Age for me.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2006, 02:20:48 PM »

Quote from: "Hetz"
Give in.....I did.

How easy is it to get on the same server on FFXI?  I would be interested in picking it up and joining you Hetz and any other GTers if it isn't too difficult.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2006, 02:23:21 PM »

Give in.....I did.

Damn you, Hetz.  Hey, did you play FFXI on the PC?  If so, why did you quit?  And why are you going back?

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2006, 02:32:53 PM »

Quote from: "DiscoJason"
Give in.....I did.

Damn you, Hetz.  Hey, did you play FFXI on the PC?  If so, why did you quit?  And why are you going back?

I did play it way back when it first came out for the PC. Why did I quit? I quit because I had a new baby in the house and I really didn't have time to play. It was a very fun game when I did get a chance to play it and I thought this would be a perfect time to go back, since it includes all the expansions and it's on the 360 now so I can hopefully game with a bunch of GT/OOer's.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2006, 02:47:16 PM »

GIVE IN.

Also, we need to decide what server to play on. (they have their return to van'adiel campaign back on, so you can restore your old char to ANY SERVER YOU WANT!!! )

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2006, 03:41:26 PM »

What is it with you all and FFXI? The game IS terrible (IMHO), simply because of the forced grouping mechanics that are ruining Dungeons and Dragons: Online (yes, I realize that D&D is group based in Pen and Paper, but that's not my point here).

After the likes of WoW, all MMOs need to have some sort of solo content when you don't have the time to assemble a group and travel around. And FFXI doesn't have that at all. Period ()unless you love the level 1-15 game).

I dunno, I only found the start of the game to be a grind, and I haven't really joined a ton of parties, either.  I play a lot with Metallicorphan - together we've done a huge number of quests, without having to party with others.  I also do a lot of  the crafting stuff, so you always have something to do even if no one  is on that you know.

One night in particular though, when I was in a party of six (to get the subjob skull, o ye knowledgeable ones) - it was pretty funny.  At one point, we all went of to a safe haven to heal, and the inevitable question came up: "So, where are y'all from?"  And this is one of the strong points of the game, lol -  here are the home locations of my party:

England, Scotland, Canada, Netherlands... and the last two?

Me, from Amherst, Mass., and the last player - Springfield, Mass. - about thirty minutes from me, lol.

So the answer is, that I will be getting FFXI as soon as it's out - it's preordered.

And, I'll be going to Asura server, if anyone wants to join me there!  Tongue

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2006, 04:03:16 PM »

Re: FF

I remember going through the fiasco of getting the demo up and running on the 360.  I wanted to check it out.  The only thing I can remember is that I was so confused on what to do after actually getting into the game, I gave up pretty quickly.  And controlling things with the 360 controller was frustrating to me.

Q: What systems is this game on?  PC / 360 / ??

Q: Can people from different systems play together?

Q: What is the game like?  I am not and experienced MMO player by any stretch, but I have played City of Heroes, WoW, and EQ2 a little bit each.  Is it like them, or is there some special "twist" on the gameplay that makes it different in some way?

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2006, 04:35:17 PM »

Quote from: "mytocles"

After the likes of WoW, all MMOs need to have some sort of solo content when you don't have the time to assemble a group and travel around. And FFXI doesn't have that at all. Period ()unless you love the level 1-15 game).

I dunno, I only found the start of the game to be a grind, and I haven't really joined a ton of parties, either.  I play a lot with Metallicorphan - together we've done a huge number of quests, without having to party with others.  I also do a lot of  the crafting stuff, so you always have something to do even if no one  is on that you know.

One night in particular though, when I was in a party of six (to get the subjob skull, o ye knowledgeable ones) - it was pretty funny.  At one point, we all went of to a safe haven to heal, and the inevitable question came up: "So, where are y'all from?"  And this is one of the strong points of the game, lol -  here are the home locations of my party:

England, Scotland, Canada, Netherlands... and the last two?

Me, from Amherst, Mass., and the last player - Springfield, Mass. - about thirty minutes from me, lol.

So the answer is, that I will be getting FFXI as soon as it's out - it's preordered.

And, I'll be going to Asura server, if anyone wants to join me there!  Tongue

who was it myto?,should of asked he or she to join our link......im still amazed that there is an actual springfield in the U.S......is there a south park as well????,LOL

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2006, 05:27:31 PM »

Don't know about southpark, but springfields are all over the place <g> I live in Springfield Mo. for example.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2006, 06:01:12 PM »

Lockdown, I'm the worst person to answer that question for you, lol - because I am, exclusively, a console gamer.  That's one reason I love FFXI, because it's the first mmorpg I've ever had a chance to play.  

I know that people can play together (as long as they are on the same server) - with the 360, a PC, or a PS2 with a hard drive. You can also play the 360 version either entirely, or nearly entirely - with any USB keyboard.  So if you'd prefer PC-like play, but also prefer the couch, you probably can have both. I know you can program all kinds of macros to either the controller or the keyboard, for example.

I'm not a fan of the whole Playonline experience, but you're partly to blame for me sticking with it, for the beta, lol - because I was forwarned that it was horrid.  I stuck with it also because it was my one chance to try an mmorpg - and for free. Well now I'm totally hooked, and I see why the monthly charge is needed  - though I wish it was more like 10 bucks.

I suspect the real game will be easier to access (if you go the 360 route), with better instructions, but there will probably still be several hours of download to live through.  But the hardest part after that is figuring out how to get going in the game, and the beta instructions were pretty bad.  I spent many an hour telling brand new folks how to get going - and several later told me it made all the difference in the world.  It was simple stuff, too - like "the characters with green names are NPC's with directions and quests," or how to talk to others in the game, how to heal, etc.  All of this should be in the game manual - and it's a game you should probably get the guide to also...

If you decide to give it a try just send me a msg. when you're going to be on, and I can help you out and help level you up faster, too, so you won't be left at level 1 trying to figure out every little detail.  That is - if you go to Asura server, of course.  There are 32 servers, btw, because so many people will be playing this game it's going to be amazing.

Now I'm babbling, so it's time to go play Oblivion obsessively until I have to figure out how to play both FFXI and Oblivion during the same time frame..  :shock:

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

depward

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2006, 06:50:07 PM »

Quote from: "Lockdown"
Re: FF

I remember going through the fiasco of getting the demo up and running on the 360.  I wanted to check it out.  The only thing I can remember is that I was so confused on what to do after actually getting into the game, I gave up pretty quickly.  And controlling things with the 360 controller was frustrating to me.

Q: What systems is this game on?  PC / 360 / ??

Q: Can people from different systems play together?

Q: What is the game like?  I am not and experienced MMO player by any stretch, but I have played City of Heroes, WoW, and EQ2 a little bit each.  Is it like them, or is there some special "twist" on the gameplay that makes it different in some way?

I'll try and answer those questions for you.

FFXI is on the 360, PC, and PS2.  Everyone plays together regardless of system.  This could be different from when I played though, but FFXI is touted as the first MMO that cross-platform players can all play together.

What's the game like?  You know, it's more "console"y than the ones you mentioned.  FFXI just plays differently than the three you mentioned.  It just has a different sort of feel to it, perhaps due to how it controls a bit differently (at least on the PC I got this feeling) than those mentioned.

I always enjoyed battle more in FFXI than any other MMO I played.  Instead of just sitting back and casting, casting, casting or just auto-hit, auto-hit, auto-hit, there's a bit of strategy involved with Skillchains and Magic Bursts, which requires members of a party using different skills they have in a certain sequence.  Of course, certain sequences produce different elemental skillchains.  It's this added layer of depth I liked when I was a Black Mage.

But yeah, it's hard to answer that last question.  But it definately has a different feel those those you mentioned.  For me, EQ2, WoW, CoH, and DAoC all just felt the same.

That being said, MY question is: can I use a keyboard for the 360?  Do I just require a USB keyboard then?  And I'm guessing I could transfer my PC character to a 360 account . . . or maybe I'll just stick with PC . . .

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2006, 06:53:48 PM »

Thanks for taking the time to try and answer my questions Myto and dep.  

I am not "sold" on the whole MMO thing, but I can't deny I find the concept of them to be pretty cool.  Like I said, I tried WoW, CoH, and EQ2, and I did enjoy my experience with them, up until it started to feel more like "work" than "play".  I don't necessarily blame the games for that feeling though, as it is probably more a reflection of me and my idea of fun.  One thing I really DID like about the EQ2 experience was the crafting aspect, wierd as it may sound.  I never really did anything with the stuff I made, but I did like making it and selling it.  I found that "fun" in a bizarre kind of way.

I am willing to bet if I knew about the keyboard thing, I would have stuck with the beta at least long enough to know if I would have liked it or not, but alas, I felt like it took 2 hours to do anything with that controller.

Anyway, I will wait to hear what people think about the game, cause it does intrigue me, even though I can't see myself putting the time in to make it worthwhile.

Sorry for the slight derail of the thread everyone, but I do have to live up to my "title" every now and then.   :wink:

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2006, 07:08:21 PM »

lol, nice title - and I wouldnt have noticed it if you hadn't mentioned it...  :lol: I used my Playstation 2 keyboard, through the entire beta - although I'd like to change to a wireless one eventually.  Apparently any USB will work, probably even a Dreamcast with a PS2 or USP adaptor...  Tongue

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2006, 07:24:51 PM »

Dreamfall, but probably not for a few months.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2006, 07:40:25 PM »

Just got a call that my copy of FFXI will be in at 5PM tonight! smile

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2006, 11:46:19 PM »

If I do break down, it won't be until tomorrow when I can walk into Best Buy and buy the game and a wireless keyboard.

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2006, 12:01:26 AM »

Ok, I picked up the game (and a wireless keyboard at Best Buy).

Good News: I've got the game

Bad News: The registration servers are down for "maintenence" until 4AM tomorrow.  :cry:  SO, I can install and patch.....but I can't play cause I can't register my account keys!!!   :evil:

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2006, 01:46:38 AM »

Ok, I picked up the game (and a wireless keyboard at Best Buy).

Good News: I've got the game

Bad News: The registration servers are down for "maintenence" until 4AM tomorrow.  :cry:  SO, I can install and patch.....but I can't play cause I can't register my account keys!!!   :evil:

Hey, which keyboard did you get?  Does it have good range?  You sitting across the room ffrom the 360 with it?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: