http://gamingtrend.com
August 01, 2014, 02:18:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you buying this week? (11/10)  (Read 4565 times)
PeteRock
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2008, 06:05:23 PM »

Quote from: JayDee on November 10, 2008, 05:33:04 PM

Why do publishers release all of their best games at the end of the year with everything else? Surely this has a negative effect on sales? I would love to buy Fable II, GoW 2, Farcry 2, and CoD 5, but after buying Fallout 3, RB 2, and NHL 09, I'm tapped out until Christmas. I can't be the only one in this situation.

You're certainly not the only one.  And it's not even the money I'm concerned with.  It's my inability to find the time to actually play all of the games I can't seem to keep from purchasing.  Hell, I keep forgetting I have GTA IV in my collection as well.  I keep thinking to myself that I'll get back to some of the games in my backlog, and the problem isn't that so many new games are coming out, but that so many good games are coming out.  I can't believe I'm actually hoping for a lull or dry spell.   icon_eek

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2008, 06:05:52 PM »

PS3:
Call of Duty: World at War

360:
Command and Conquer: Red Alert 3
Mirror’s Edge
WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2009

PC:
Sacred 2 Fallen Angel  x2 copies so the wife and I can play together

I'm absolutely sold on Mirror's Edge after playing the demo.  

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Simon

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2008, 06:08:18 PM »

Nothing this week but I'm interested in picking up Mirror's Edge at some point.
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2008, 06:11:09 PM »

Call of Duty World at War is going on the christmas list nothing this week.

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2008, 06:29:35 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on November 10, 2008, 04:27:57 PM

Even though I know there will be a great deal of COD5 MP action going on, I just can't stomach another game purchase.  I've played all of one level in Force Unleashed and then got back into Mass Effect, which has been sitting on my shelf since last Christmas.  I had zero interest in Fallout 3 until I made the mistake of reading reviews and the buzz around GamingTrend and wound up picking it up on release day.  I've played for about two or three hours and absolutely love the game, but then the next new hotness came out.  I wasn't at all planning on picking up Gears 2 as I have enough to keep me occupied as it is, but online MP in the original Gears was one of my favorite experiences and I just couldn't skip out on the sequel, so I added Gears 2 to my backlog as well and played 6+ hours of glorious MP on Friday night.

Fable 2 has had to go on my Christmas list as I just don't have any time to play it but certainly can't pass it up completely, and Mirror's Edge will be added to my list as well.  Perhaps I can also add COD5 so that while I need to focus on Gears 2 MP in order to feel like the purchase was justified, I can hold off on COD5 until after the holidays and still get to experience it without feeling like I've pissed so much money away on growing an already ridiculous backlog.

Pete, you should just do what I did and stop buying single player games at all.  When time and money are at a premium, you can save a lot of money by only playing a couple games and multiplayer games tend to stay interesting and the social aspect can keep you from being drawn to other games.  I went almost the entire year without buying any single player games then for some reason I freaked out and bought Fable II (pretty much SP), Fallout 3 and Saint's Row 2 (though it has coop, it isn't really mp in the way I mean).

I expect my MP purchases to last me the next 6 months or more with CoD5, L4D and MKvsDCU  3 games for 6 months plus my Rock Band purchases will just about do it.   

To stay on topic though, I have CoD5 this week and am fighting the temptation of Mirror's Edge (another SP damnit! )
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2008, 06:38:27 PM »

nada. 

thank the gods for that one.

although i do want to play mirrors edge and cod:waw eventually.  which adds to the eventual backlog of gow2, lbp, and a handful of portable games for both dusty handhelds. 

i still have to finish the last 4 games i bought and am really not getting enough time to finish. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2008, 06:40:01 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on November 10, 2008, 06:29:35 PM

Pete, you should just do what I did and stop buying single player games at all.  When time and money are at a premium, you can save a lot of money by only playing a couple games and multiplayer games tend to stay interesting and the social aspect can keep you from being drawn to other games.  I went almost the entire year without buying any single player games then for some reason I freaked out and bought Fable II (pretty much SP), Fallout 3 and Saint's Row 2 (though it has coop, it isn't really mp in the way I mean).

I just don't play nearly as much MP as you do, and because of that I don't compete as well as some of the more dedicated players and the frustration usually leads to me moving back to SP games.  I usually prefer SP for a majority of my gaming and I only play MP once in a while (Friday GT get-togethers, occasionally during the week if a group gets together online).  I gain far more enjoyment and gaming time from story-driven SP games than I do from MP.  I've just never been much of a MP gamer.  Yes, the social aspect is great fun, but I think my competitive nature takes away from my enjoyment when I don't play well, and I just can't compete with players like you or Sensuous Lettuce when you put so much more time into a MP game than I do.  I just don't have the time.  But I can put countless hours into games like GTA IV, Oblivion, Fallout 3, Fable, or Mass Effect because I can play at my own pace, I love the stories I get to experience, and my gaming isn't limited to when others are online.  I can play whenever my schedule allows rather than when GTers are online.  And I absolutely hate playing with strangers.  I much prefer playing with online friends, and it's tough to get enough together at the same time, especially when my schedule is so unpredictable that even on nights when I schedule an event I may be late or miss it entirely.  

I'm a SP gamer at heart and I only enjoy MP with online friends.  But I can only take so much MP gaming at a time.  Nowhere near enough to satiate my gaming addiction.  For example, Friday night Gears of War 2 MP was an absolute blast, especially the Horde mode.  But that is nowhere near enough to keep me entertained.  If my only choices were online MP shooters I'd quickly get bored with gaming altogether.  I need those SP games as I love a good story with fun gameplay.  

Sorry to the rest for the derail.    

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2008, 06:40:40 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on November 10, 2008, 06:29:35 PM

translation:  Hark likes killing you so you should give him more chances to do so  icon_twisted

I looked up the Three Stooges game and it looks like it's a puzzle game, so I'm guessing I'll pass.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2008, 06:42:54 PM »

360:
Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts

and a supermarket near me was having a 24 hr only sale for Gears of War 2,for £30(should be £40)..so i caved and bought that..after banjo and call of dooty this friday,these will prolly be my last games of the year..me thinks..i still have saints row 2 to finish(which i am still loving)and of course the mighty Fallout 3,which i can't even imagine finishing properly this year..and damn,i still havent tried the new maps in battlefield bad company...so plenty to do still

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2008, 06:44:36 PM »

Pre-ordered Eternal Posion.  
Will consider COD:W@W.

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 10, 2008, 06:46:03 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on November 10, 2008, 06:40:01 PM

Pete, I have five words for you.

Four player co-op vs. nazi zombies
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: November 10, 2008, 06:57:06 PM »

WoW expansion this week, Left 4 Dead next week and then I'm done. Finally.

Although I really did like the Mirror's Edge demo...
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 10, 2008, 07:41:10 PM »

COD 5 sometime this week

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Tokek

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2008, 07:44:24 PM »

CoD: WaW for PC for me this week.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 10, 2008, 07:46:27 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on November 10, 2008, 06:46:03 PM

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 10, 2008, 07:52:44 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on November 10, 2008, 07:46:27 PM

i know man.  i know.  that right there was almost the tipping point, but my experience in the mp beta has told me what i needed to know.  it's basically what everyone wanted/expected.  cod4's mp with ww2. 

damnitall.  i am 4/10ths on the fence again.  if i saw any specials on this one, i just might get it as well.

and i just saw the tru deal.  consider this one a go. 
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 08:02:52 PM by Caine » Logged

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 10, 2008, 08:04:50 PM »

Quote from: Caine on November 10, 2008, 07:52:44 PM

i know man.  i know.  that right there was almost the tipping point, but my experience in the mp beta has told me what i needed to know.  it's basically what everyone wanted/expected.  cod4's mp with ww2. 

damnitall.  i am 4/10ths on the fence again.  if i saw any specials on this one, i just might get it as well.

Wait, was he talking about COD5?   icon_confused

I thought he was talking about Left 4 Dead.  There are zombies in COD5?   icon_eek  And it has 4-player co-op?   icon_eek

My Best Buy card is going to burst into flames soon.  They can't even read the bar code on the back of my RewardZone card anymore. 

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 10, 2008, 08:11:29 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on November 10, 2008, 08:04:50 PM

Quote from: Caine on November 10, 2008, 07:52:44 PM

Wait, was he talking about COD5?   icon_confused

I thought he was talking about Left 4 Dead.  There are zombies in COD5?   icon_eek  And it has 4-player co-op?   icon_eek

My Best Buy card is going to burst into flames soon.  They can't even read the bar code on the back of my RewardZone card anymore. 

2 things Pete,

1) Yes there's a zombie 4 player coop mode in COD5.
2) You can just give them your phone number, so no card needed biggrin
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 10, 2008, 08:41:10 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on November 10, 2008, 06:40:01 PM

Six.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 10, 2008, 09:30:27 PM »

Lich King:  CE preordered.  Also, going to pick up CoD:  W@W smile

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 10, 2008, 09:33:07 PM »

Quote from: ROTC1983 on November 10, 2008, 09:30:27 PM

Lich King:  CE preordered.  Also, going to pick up CoD:  W@W smile

Wow...it's WoW and W@W all in one week.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 10, 2008, 11:39:54 PM »

World at War tomorrow since the local gamestop doesn't have it today. Nothing else.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 11, 2008, 12:00:43 AM »

Mirror's Edge sometime in January.

COD5 W@W possibly, solely because of the GC at TRU.  If I don't get it this week, I won't be getting it until January.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: November 11, 2008, 12:26:59 AM »

Probably the only one here doing it, but I am definitely getting Mirror's Edge.  I need something different.  Everything else seems to same same.   

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Torfish
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 11, 2008, 12:30:45 AM »

WoW Lich King in my hands at midnight.  And more than likely COD World at War for the PS3, unless the reviews are not good.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 11, 2008, 03:00:51 AM »

Quote from: mikeg on November 11, 2008, 12:26:59 AM

Probably the only one here doing it, but I am definitely getting Mirror's Edge.  I need something different.  Everything else seems to same same.  

Supposedly it's only six hours long.  Given how you are about buy vs rent might want to consider renting unless you really dig the time trial mode. 
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 11, 2008, 03:24:00 AM »

Is there no XBLA game this week?  I figured there wouldn't be one next week with the big update coming, but I haven't heard anything about a game for this week.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 13, 2008, 05:39:14 PM »

Quote from: Jeff Jones on November 10, 2008, 05:20:47 PM

Quote from: hepcat on November 10, 2008, 05:14:28 PM

Quote from: fyedaddy on November 10, 2008, 03:50:19 PM

DS:
My Stop Smoking Coach with Allen Carr

My 10 year old smokes like a chimney and her younger step sister is starting to pick it up too. Save us, Allen Carr!

icon_lol

Yeak ok, I get it now, it's on a DS, generally used by kids ... I'm a little slow smile

Maybe you should play some Brain Age type games, or Professor Leyton - oh, no... wait. If you are slow, they just make you feel slow - and sad!   icon_razz

I will probably not need any games until they are too close to Christmas to buy;  I always get at least one game as a present, so I have to be careful what I pick up.  Also, I get every bit I can out of games I like, and Fallout 3 is really getting that treatment now, and I'm sure I have quite a ways to go yet.   nod

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 13, 2008, 08:09:52 PM »

Well I caved and bought COD5.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: November 13, 2008, 10:43:05 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 11, 2008, 03:00:51 AM

Quote from: mikeg on November 11, 2008, 12:26:59 AM

Supposedly it's only six hours long.  Given how you are about buy vs rent might want to consider renting unless you really dig the time trial mode. 

True.  Might have to rethink this one from what I am seeing.  Sad, as I have looked at every game out now (of which I only have Gears 2) and there is not a single one I would buy if someone gave me the money.  Can't remember the last time I was in that predicament.  Usually there is SOMETHING I want. 

Oh, well, hopes are pinned on Prince of Persia now.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: