http://gamingtrend.com
September 22, 2014, 02:20:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you buying this week? (10/04)  (Read 1338 times)
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« on: October 04, 2010, 06:56:44 AM »

PS3:
Actual Crimes: Jack the Ripper
Apache Overkill
Ben 10 Ultimate Alien: Cosmic Destruction
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow
Def Jam Rapstar
Enslaved: Odyssey to the West
John Daly’s ProStroke Golf
NBA 2K11

PSP:
Actual Crimes: Jack the Ripper
Apache Overkill
NBA 2K11

360:
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow
Def Jam Rapstar
NBA 2K11
Left 4 Dead 2: The Sacrifice
Comic Jumper: The Adventures of Captain Smiley (XBLA)

Wii:
Def Jam Rapstar
Dragon’s Lair Trilogy
Haunted House
Hollywood Squares
Honda Fever
NBA 2K11
NBA Jam
Oops! Prank Party
Sled Shed featuring the Jamaican Bobsled Team
Who Wants to Be a Millionaire: 3rd Edition
Wii Party

DS:
Crime Lab: Body of Evidence
Deal or No Deal: Special Edition
Deer Drive
Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light
Freddi Fish and Friends: ABC Under the Sea
I Love Puppies
Jewels of the Tropical Lost Island
Littlest Pet Shop 3: Blue, Pink, Purple Team
NBA 2K11
Petz Fantasy: Sunshine Magic
Pokemon Ranger: Guardian Signs
Shantae: Risky’s Revenge
Vampire Moon: Mystery of the Hidden Sun
Who Wants to Be a Millionaire: 3rd Edition

PC:
Insider Chronicles Triple Pack: A New Perspective on Mystery
Left 4 Dead 2: The Sacrifice
Lionheart: King’s Crusade
WRC: FIA World Rally Championship

What are you buying this week?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 07:01:16 AM »

Castlevania for the PS3.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 07:05:14 AM »

Comic Jumper, Enslaved and Castlevania for the 360 are possibles, probably not this week since I just ordered the MASH box set off of Amazon (110 bucks for all 11 seasons plus the movie  thumbsup) so I know what's going to be on the TV for awhile.  Left for Dead 2: The Sacrifice for the PC is a definite, especially since it's free.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 07:09:34 AM »

I guess this is as good a place to point it out as any: The 360-version of Castlevania is supposedly more sluggish in framerate than the PS3 version, in case anyone hasn't decided which version to get. smile
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 07:26:15 AM »

I'm definitely getting Final Fantasy : The 4 Heroes of Light, and I might get Comic Jumper.  I also might pick up Jewels of the Tropical Lost Island, just to support games whose names are collections of random words.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 09:23:40 AM »

the left 4 dlc sounds like it could be fun. since I have those games I guess I'm getting that by default!
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 12:27:53 PM »

PS3:
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - or for 360
John Daly’s ProStroke Golf - unless the reviews are terrible.  I couldn't get TW11 to work with the Move, so I'm hoping it's good.

360:
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - or for PS3
Comic Jumper: The Adventures of Captain Smiley (XBLA)

Wii:
Haunted House; NBA Jam - I'm waiting to see how both of these fair on the "bigger" consoles, but someday
Oops! Prank Party - interested, but I don't see getting 2 party games this week
Wii Party

DS:
Shantae: Risky’s Revenge - kinda psyched for this, actually

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010, 12:30:29 PM »

Nintendo DSiWare
Shantae: Risky's Revenge
Publisher: WayForward
Players: 1
ESRB Rating: E10+ (Everyone 10 and Older) – Comic Mischief, Mild Cartoon Violence, Suggestive Themes
Price: 1,200 Nintendo DSi Points
The sequel to the critically acclaimed Shantae is here! Fans asked, and WayForward has answered with a powder keg of high-octane, hair-whipping, hip-shaking action available only on the Nintendo DSiWare service. Shantae: Risky's Revenge sets the bar even higher with thousands of frames of animation, huge multi-sprite bosses and a quest so big it's bursting at the seams. Guide "half-genie" Shantae through haunted wastelands, burning deserts, enchanted forests, dripping caverns and deadly labyrinths. Discover magical attacks, brew zombie coffee, save golden babies and master the art of belly dancing to transform Shantae into more powerful creatures. Use your powers to foil the lady pirate Risky Boots and save Sequin Land from certain doom. With its infectious characters, flirtatious humor and deliciously outlandish action, Shantae: Risky's Revenge offers up all the hair-whipping, belly-dancing action you can handle.
Rummikub
Publisher: Games Factory Online
Players: 1-4
ESRB Rating: E (Everyone)
Price: 800 Nintendo DSi Points
For more than 50 years, players have loved Rummikub for its combination of tactical thinking, luck and tense competition. In this new edition for the Nintendo DSiWare service, combine the tiles to create the smartest combinations and play with friends who have their own copy of Rummikub. You can also pit your wits against the computer in single-player mode at various difficulty settings. Collect all the medals Rummikub has to offer and become the world champion.

WiiWare
Racers' Islands – Crazy Racers
Publisher: ZALLAG
Players: 1-4
ESRB Rating: E (Everyone) – Mild Cartoon Violence
Price: 1,000 Wii Points
Six drivers are competing on a popular TV show: an English lord, a dangerous beauty from Russia, a Mexican desperado, an eccentric Frenchman, a Japanese prodigy and an American bulldozer. Whichever driver you choose, you'll have to drive and shoot simultaneously to be the first to cross the finish line. The game includes 20 different races and six thematic islands styled to look like a big amusement park. Unique game play lets you drive with one hand while aiming with the other. Discover tons of content like new items, trophies and time trials.
Learning with the PooYoos: Episode 3
Publisher: Lexis Numérique
Players: 1
ESRB Rating: EC (Early Childhood)
Price: 500 Wii Points
Welcome to the world of the PooYoos, the first fun poetic brain-trainer for children ages 3 to 6. With the PooYoos, a merry band of adorable baby animals, children will have fun while learning basic development concepts such as numbers, letters, lateralization, shapes and colors. Children get to dance with their new friends and earn lovely interactive rewards. With two levels of interactivity, children can play activities based on plants and music. This game has been designed for use by children who have not yet grasped reading. The instructions are spoken in French, English or Spanish, depending on the language setting of your Wii console.

Virtual Console
FATAL FURY 3: ROAD TO THE FINAL VICTORY
Original platform: NEOGEO
Publisher: D4 Enterprise
Players: 1-2
ESRB Rating: T (Teen) – Violence
Price: 900 Wii Points
Originally released in 1995, this is the fourth title in the Fatal Fury series of beat-'em-up games. Previous releases in the series used a two-plane battle system allowing you to move and fight between the foreground and background. This game features a three-plane format – foreground, background and main plane – known as the Oversway System. Characters will automatically move back to the main line after a certain period of time in the foreground or background planes. Other new features include Combination Arts (the ability to execute combo attacks with simple rhythmic button taps), Hidden Abilities (superior versions of the popular Special Moves and Super Special Moves from previous installments) and minor tweaks to all of the characters' Special Moves. As a result, this installment offers the deepest strategies and tactics in the Fatal Fury series to date.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2010, 01:06:25 PM »

i really want Captain Smiley but it will have to wait,my next buy will be Borderlands GOTY which is out next week i think

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2010, 01:07:45 PM »

You may want to rethink, mo.

Captain Smiley got 5/5 on Evil Avatar and 4/5 on Joystiq!

Joystiq:
Although Comic Jumper is Twisted Pixel's biggest and arguably most traditional title yet, it loses none of the studio's in-your-face personality and infectious irreverence. When developers tell me they had as much fun making a game as I had playing it, it's not often that I believe them.

Evil Avatar:
The Good
Responsive controls and simplistic controls.
Twisted Pixel did a great job with each comic's representation of the genre and period.
BEAUTIFUL graphics to accompany each panel.
Make sure to spend a lot of time in the headquarters, there are a ton of hidden gems.
The Bad
The core game is only about four hours, but you do have a challenge mode to play with.
The Ugly
The only ugly thing about this game is the fact that you haven't bought it yet!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 01:10:24 PM by Bullwinkle » Logged

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2010, 01:13:36 PM »

Nothing for me.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2010, 01:15:22 PM »

Enslaved for the PS3... Amazon release day delivery!  icon_cool

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2010, 01:35:18 PM »

Hoping enslaved will be on the way soon and I am going to pick up a few poons cards for comic jumper and another for that xbla points deal.

spigot

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2010, 01:43:15 PM »

[360] Enslaved

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2010, 02:36:36 PM »

Definitely Castlevania.  I didn't realize the Final Fantasy DS game was coming out this week.  I need to read up on it to see if I want it or not.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2010, 02:39:45 PM »

NBA 2k11 is getting some phenomenal early reviews. IGN gives it a 9.5, calling it the best basketball game ever and the best sprts game of this generation. I'm tempted, solely because I want to relive so many of the classic Jordan moments, and dunk all over Bird, Magic and Dominique.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2010, 02:46:32 PM »

Sort of intrigued by Enslaved (probably not until the bargain bin though), and might give the Final Fantasy 4 Heroes game a look (depending on whether or not it the difficulty is ridiculous).

EDIT:  Actually, scratch FF 4 Heroes.  I don't think I want to bother with crap like this:

The game features a classic turn-based battle system that is even more limited and archaic than what we usually see. The first thing you will notice is that the game does not allow you to target your foes; instead, it features an auto targeting system where you choose an action/spell/item and then the game decides the execution for you, such as picking the enemy to cast the spell on and even picking the party member who gets to benefit from a healing spell. This creates a feeling of uncertainty like no other as you pretty much just get to pick actions and hope that the game implements them the way you intended to.

I understand they're going for "old school", but that is just ridiculous.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 02:51:40 PM by Gratch » Logged

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2010, 02:57:13 PM »

Nada

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2010, 03:35:10 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 04, 2010, 07:09:34 AM

I guess this is as good a place to point it out as any: The 360-version of Castlevania is supposedly more sluggish in framerate than the PS3 version, in case anyone hasn't decided which version to get. smile

Can you tell me where you read this?  I would like to do some reading on which version to get.  Sometimes people will say one is worse for framerate, but then the more sluggish one has better textures or something.  I just want to be fully informed, I guess.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2010, 03:52:39 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on October 04, 2010, 03:35:10 PM

Can you tell me where you read this?  I would like to do some reading on which version to get.  Sometimes people will say one is worse for framerate, but then the more sluggish one has better textures or something.  I just want to be fully informed, I guess.

i just played the 360 demo,played fine,and i didn't notice any framerate problems,but i haven't played the PS3 demo to compare

i did read just yesterday i think a producer said they were both identical

ahh here you go
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=267503
"The games are identical. The 360 review code had some issues with frame rates but not major and they are not in the final [product]."

Bull-i have been pretty excited for Comic Jumper ever since i saw the trailer back at E3,but i can wait as Borderlands GOTY has all the DLC and for £24.99(new games usually £40)..which means Halo Reach can be traded for good use..and as i have not tried any DLC for Borderlands,i am quite eager to get to it...and who knows maybe Captain Smiley will be on DOTW by the time i get to it,and i still want DeathSpank 2 as well

i hate Autumn for games...Fallout,Fable,DA:O ultimate ..that's just this month..arghhhh

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2010, 03:56:47 PM »

Enslaved - PS3
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2010, 03:58:32 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on October 04, 2010, 03:35:10 PM

Can you tell me where you read this?  I would like to do some reading on which version to get.  Sometimes people will say one is worse for framerate, but then the more sluggish one has better textures or something.  I just want to be fully informed, I guess.

According to the GameSpot Castlevania: LoD review:

Quote from: GameSpot
It's also worth noting that while the PlayStation 3 version maintains a steady frame rate, the Xbox 360 version occasionally hiccups during action sequences and cutscenes.

By contrast, IGN's review of Enslaved says that the 360 version maintains a better framerate than the PS3 version.

EDIT: ...but check metallicorphan's post above mine -- he posted while I was grabbing links. Tongue

-Autistic Angel
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2010, 04:00:51 PM »

Probably nothing for me, since I just bought Reach, NHL Slapshot, F1 2010 and Lego HP in the past few weeks. I'm interested in the new Castlevania and Enslaved, but I'll be waiting for reviews and impressions.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2010, 04:52:26 PM »

I must abstain for a few more days, but as soon as I finish my Italian horror reel, I shall pick Civilization V and play without impunity this weekend.  *Fist Shaking*
Roman

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2010, 04:55:12 PM »

Castlevania for the 360.

Traded in Reach for $37 and took advantage of the extra %50 credit if I put it towards Lord of Shadows = no brainer for $10 difference.

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2010, 05:15:29 PM »

Depending on reviews, I'll get Castlevania eventually.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2010, 05:28:03 PM »

BOTH NBA games!

I'm an idiot!!!!!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2010, 07:28:25 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on October 04, 2010, 02:46:32 PM

EDIT:  Actually, scratch FF 4 Heroes.  I don't think I want to bother with crap like this:

The game features a classic turn-based battle system that is even more limited and archaic than what we usually see. The first thing you will notice is that the game does not allow you to target your foes; instead, it features an auto targeting system where you choose an action/spell/item and then the game decides the execution for you, such as picking the enemy to cast the spell on and even picking the party member who gets to benefit from a healing spell. This creates a feeling of uncertainty like no other as you pretty much just get to pick actions and hope that the game implements them the way you intended to.

I understand they're going for "old school", but that is just ridiculous.

From what I've read, it sounds like the reviewer didn't understand the battle system.  While it's true that you don't pick targets for your actions, the targets are chosen based on certain rules.  For instance, healing spells always target the character with the lowest HP, and certain classes' weapons always attack enemies in the back row.  If I understand it right, there's no uncertainty at all.  You'll know what target your characters will attack, and while you can't control it, you can manipulate their actions through which attacks you choose.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2010, 10:10:12 PM »

I'm still trying to decide if I am going to pick up Enslaved for the 360 this week or wait.  Probably this week...

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2010, 02:30:51 AM »

NBA 2K11 for me, for sure.  I really can't wait.  It's always been the best basketball game by miles, but this year it appears that they went all out.

This signature is intentional, ie not a mistake.  If you thing Rick Perry should be forced to resign for this crap, you're part of the problem with our country.  Give me a freaking break.
KC

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2010, 02:31:55 AM »

Nothing this week.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2010, 02:48:06 AM »

nothing for me again this week...not such a bad thing considering how much Rock Band 3 and some new instruments are going to set me back in a few weeks...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2010, 01:12:00 AM »

360 NBA 2K11 

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2010, 03:28:09 AM »

i picked up some points for the xbla deal and bought scott pilgrim after the trial.  i kind of broke my own rule and jumped at it instead of waiting to try comic jumper.  good fun so far.

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2010, 04:47:28 AM »

Received Enslaved for the PS3 today.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2010, 03:29:11 PM »

Pulled the trigger on Civilization 5 this morning. Woot!
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2010, 10:28:05 PM »

Apparently, I don't buy video games anymore, and certainly not every week.  I'm still on FFIX, so once again... nothing.

icon_razz

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: