http://gamingtrend.com
November 25, 2014, 11:25:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you buying this week? (07/01)  (Read 977 times)
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« on: July 01, 2013, 01:36:23 PM »

Good reason to almost just skip this week. Yeesh.

PS3:

PSV:

360:

WiiU:

3DS:
Crash City Mayhem

PC:
Mortal Kombat Komplete Edition

What are you buying this week?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 01:43:18 PM »

I was going to say nothing, but I bet we see some sales.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 01:51:05 PM »

Wow.

That's the cleanest slate I've seen in a long time.    I need a new game too.... wonder if I should try Arma 3 or one of the indie titles that peeps have been talking about.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 03:49:25 PM »

is it the end of the year already?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 03:53:06 PM »

Possibly another ship for Star Citizen, but that is it.
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 05:40:27 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on July 01, 2013, 03:53:06 PM

No offense but what does one do with a ship for Star Citizen at this point?  Is there something playable now?

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 07:11:40 PM »

Quote from: Hrothgar on July 01, 2013, 05:40:27 PM

Quote from: Arkon on July 01, 2013, 03:53:06 PM

No offense but what does one do with a ship for Star Citizen at this point?  Is there something playable now?

Not at this point there is not, however as an original backer, there are ships available in return for pledges that are only available until July 6th.  The first portion of the alpha is expected to drop in August which is the hangar module, and then they are hoping to release the second stage of the Alpha in December which is the dogfighting module.  I am looking at getting one of the time limited ships before my job disappears on July 17th.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2013, 08:00:57 PM »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the lifetime insurance unique to these early purchases as well? As far as I understand, ships bought later will at best have limited insurance.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2013, 08:06:36 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on July 01, 2013, 08:00:57 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the lifetime insurance unique to these early purchases as well? As far as I understand, ships bought later will at best have limited insurance.

That is correct, and another reason I am getting some of my ships now, despite knowing I can later get them for in game currency.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2013, 08:26:05 PM »

Eh, fuck it! I just purchased an additional ship myself, the MISC Freelancer. I already have the Origin 300i. This means I have one ship for scouting and dogfighting and another for trading, and both of them are safe and secure with lifetime insurance. I also wanted a somewhat larger ship to explore with the Oculus Rift. smile This kind of game (and racing games) is perhaps the genre that is best suited to the enhancements from the Oculus Rift as you're simulating sitting in a seat while sitting in a seat. Can't wait to try it.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2013, 10:04:45 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on July 01, 2013, 08:26:05 PM

Eh, fuck it! I just purchased an additional ship myself, the MISC Freelancer. I already have the Origin 300i. This means I have one ship for scouting and dogfighting and another for trading, and both of them are safe and secure with lifetime insurance. I also wanted a somewhat larger ship to explore with the Oculus Rift. smile This kind of game (and racing games) is perhaps the genre that is best suited to the enhancements from the Oculus Rift as you're simulating sitting in a seat while sitting in a seat. Can't wait to try it.

I am somewhat ashamed to admit that I have not gotten a 300 series yet, but I am trying to leave at least a few ships to earn in game.   icon_razz

I do have a constellation, so will be looking for a few crew members every now and again.
Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2013, 10:11:11 PM »

If the Steam sale starts Thursday I will probably buy something this week.
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2013, 11:23:49 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on July 01, 2013, 10:04:45 PM

Quote from: TiLT on July 01, 2013, 08:26:05 PM

I am somewhat ashamed to admit that I have not gotten a 300 series yet, but I am trying to leave at least a few ships to earn in game.   icon_razz

I do have a constellation, so will be looking for a few crew members every now and again.

Obviously I haven't done enough research on this game.  How much have you guys spent thus far?  And what does a hangar alpha entail?  Just glancing at the pledge pages, those ships seem expensive.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2013, 04:12:08 AM »

Suffice to say I have spent way too much money.  Wing Commander is one of my all time favorite series, and I love the genre.  I would have to add it up, but I am somewhere north of $900 right now (In part due to a super limited run of Vanduul Scythe's, which I figure if I need to I can resell for a tidy profit), and in part because I have gifted a few packages to friends/family to get them in to Alpha/Beta.

The Hangar alpha will enable you to walk around your hangar (there are different hangars depending on the ships you own), and I believe you will be able to get on board the ships, but not take off.  The game is using CryEngine and has a FPS portion in the hangars and for ship boarding during piracy etc.

To pledge to get in to the Alpha/Beta I believe you can do so for as little as $35 which gets an Aurora, digital copies of the game and Alpha/Beta access...or at least that is what I see the price at, although as an original backer I think I may see things that new backers won't.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2013, 04:23:42 AM »

I'm also an original backer. I think I've spent a grand total of $170.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2013, 04:35:13 AM »

Quote from: Arkon on July 02, 2013, 04:12:08 AM

To pledge to get in to the Alpha/Beta I believe you can do so for as little as $35 which gets an Aurora, digital copies of the game and Alpha/Beta access...or at least that is what I see the price at, although as an original backer I think I may see things that new backers won't.

I'm not sure I'm reading the site right, but to me it appears the cheapest one that will get you into the alpha/beta is now $75.  it seems like they have ship only pruchase mixed in with the tiers that get you the game.

Because I can,
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2013, 10:56:35 AM »

This is the first game in a long while that makes me sad I have no income.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2013, 11:25:42 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 02, 2013, 04:35:13 AM

I'm not sure I'm reading the site right, but to me it appears the cheapest one that will get you into the alpha/beta is now $75.  it seems like they have ship only pruchase mixed in with the tiers that get you the game.

Ok then that confirms I am seeing different priced packages, as the Digital Scout - LTI package shows as $35 which includes an Aurora, Life Time Insurance for the ship, Alpha/Beta, digital copies of the games and 2,000 credits.  I do know original backers can gift these packages.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2013, 03:05:37 PM »

ended up grabbing Defiance off of GMG.

Because I can,
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2013, 06:27:26 PM »

Suffice to say I have spent way too much money.  Wing Commander is one of my all time favorite series, and I love the genre.  I would have to add it up, but I am somewhere north of $900 right now...

HOLY SHIT!
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2013, 06:41:04 PM »

Quote from: Crawley on July 02, 2013, 06:27:26 PM

Suffice to say I have spent way too much money.  Wing Commander is one of my all time favorite series, and I love the genre.  I would have to add it up, but I am somewhere north of $900 right now...

HOLY SHIT!

Yeah I know...on the flipside I know there are fans who have spent way more than I.  During the 24 hour livestream they put up a limited run of I believe 150 Idris Corvettes for $1250 a piece, and I believe they sold out in about 10 minutes.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2013, 06:54:33 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on July 02, 2013, 06:41:04 PM

Quote from: Crawley on July 02, 2013, 06:27:26 PM

HOLY SHIT!

Yeah I know...on the flipside I know there are fans who have spent way more than I.  During the 24 hour livestream they put up a limited run of I believe 150 Idris Corvettes for $1250 a piece, and I believe they sold out in about 10 minutes.

I suspect many of those were sold to groups of people who want to fly a capital ship together though... if that's how it works. I honestly haven't paid much attention.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2013, 07:22:12 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on July 02, 2013, 06:54:33 PM

I suspect many of those were sold to groups of people who want to fly a capital ship together though... if that's how it works. I honestly haven't paid much attention.

That may be very likely, although I wouldn't put it past people who bought them solely to resell them.

And yeah the ship will have stations for multiple people, just like the constellation which has turrets and a snub nose fighter.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2013, 05:31:25 AM »

those ships are all available through in-game currency, right?  I'd hate to think that they weren't. 

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2013, 05:43:07 AM »

haha, I'm beginning to think I'm missing out, and may have to go borrow money for digital space ships :-D

A new one
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2013, 06:13:13 AM »

Quote from: Caine on July 03, 2013, 05:31:25 AM

those ships are all available through in-game currency, right?  I'd hate to think that they weren't. 

Yes, I believe they are all available through normal means. However, some (like the pirate ship) might be hard to get from what I understand. Any ships you obtain in the game won't be insured either, so you'll have to buy regular insurance for them. Ships bought at this point with real money have lifetime insurance, so as far as I know you can have your ship destroyed over and over without losing it permanently.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2013, 06:24:42 AM »

I'm still confused as to how they can have a competitive multiplaye universe going on, with all the different ships they've been selling? Or are they open about that the ships you purchase are for your singleplayer experience only?

A new one
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2013, 10:01:40 AM »

Picked up Baldur's Gate EE on Steam for 4.99 during their Mid Week Madness sale

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2013, 12:46:13 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on July 03, 2013, 06:24:42 AM

I'm still confused as to how they can have a competitive multiplaye universe going on, with all the different ships they've been selling? Or are they open about that the ships you purchase are for your singleplayer experience only?

The ships purchased now are available in both Squadron 42 and Star Citizen.  While one aspect of the game is certainly competitive PvP in lawless systems, or for the really ballsy pirates in UEE systems, I am not sure I understand the issue.  All of these ships will be available for in game credits, tho some may be difficult to track down as you may need to find dealerships in remote systems.  The fact that people will start with more ships than others is very similar to a headstart period that is so popular in MMOs these days.  Given that you will be able to buy in game credits with real world cash, similar to EVE, people jumping in on day one could get new ships right away if they want to spend cash then.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2013, 01:03:08 PM »

And isn't that the whole idea behind the concept of Pay2win?

I don't object to it existing, its just not something I'm personally interested in. Its like in Rift subscribers are 10 percent faster than non-subscribers, which makes it an uneven playing field - unless you choose to pay for it.

A new one
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2013, 01:18:05 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on July 03, 2013, 01:03:08 PM

I don't object to it existing, its just not something I'm personally interested in. Its like in Rift subscribers are 10 percent faster than non-subscribers, which makes it an uneven playing field - unless you choose to pay for it.

Agreed

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2013, 01:37:03 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on July 03, 2013, 01:03:08 PM

Except there are many more factors than just having a ship that contribute to "winning".

I own a lot of ships, but don't intend to engage in piracy and PvP at all in the beginning and perhaps for a long time after, as I want to do trading, exploring and mining.  I bought ships to have a variety of vessels to fly depending on what I feel like doing that day.

Star Citizen is always going to have elements of an uneven playing field because if I get caught out exploring in my Origin 315P in lawless space by someone in a heavy fighter craft, the odds are going to be heavily against me.  If your concern is that all these pirates are going to be starting out with way better ships than you, well don't go in to lawless space because them coming in to UEE controlled territory to try and hunt new players will be a death sentence.

If Star Citizen was nothing but a Persistent World of lawless systems with the only gameplay mechanic of dog-fighting, then I would agree that it is truly Pay 2 Win, but that just isn't the case.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2013, 01:56:30 PM »

So, you have a ship that is good for mining, one that is good for exploration, one that is good for mining and one that is a good combat ship then, correct? That means, from the start, you have an advantage in either of these fields, correct? And you payed money for that advantage, other than the base game, correct? When I start the game, I will have one ship. You have purchased your advantages with real money, instead of taking the time to grind out the presumably available ships in-game.  Thats more or less the definition of pay2win, whether you like that term or not.

I read up on it over at the forums, and I can see I'm not the only one voicing the same concerns. The game will probably be great, but it is silly to not acknowledge what is going on.

A new one
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2013, 02:04:18 PM »

So what? What exactly are you "paying to win"? There is no winning in this game. Are you saying that your plan is to get the game as early as humanly possible and rush your way to the best ships before hunting down other players in PvP before they've managed to outgrow you in power? If the answer to any of those was "no", why should you care? I bought the ships I did because I want to specialize right away, not because I want to be more powerful. I want to purchase a hold full of goods and start trading with my Freelancer. Is that P2W? Who am I winning against, exactly?
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2013, 04:34:54 PM »

All right, all right.  Calm down.  I'm sorry this is late.

Spoiler for Nintendo Weekly Download:
Wii U Virtual Console
Pilotwings from Nintendo, $7.99

3DS Virtual Console
Sonic Drift 2 from Sega, $3.99
Vampire: Master of Darkness from Sega, $4.99
G-LOC Air Battle from Sega, $3.99

3DS
Deer Hunting King from ARC System Works, $4.99
Fishdom H2O: Hidden Odyssey from Playrix and Cypronia, $4.99
DEMO Crazy Construction from G-Style, Free
SALE Mighty Switch Force! from Wayforward, $3.99 until 9 a.m. PT on July 11.
SALE Order Up!!! from Ignition Entertainment and Supervillain Studios, $4.99 starting at 9 a.m. PT on July 8 until 9 a.m. PT on July 22
SALE Planet Crashers from Ignition Entertainment, $4.99 starting at 9 a.m. PT on July 8 until 9 a.m. PT on July 22.

Wii U
SALE Mighty Switch Force! Hyperdrive Edition from Wayforward, $6.67 until 9 a.m. PT on July 11.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2013, 04:58:09 PM »

Wound up buying Mists of Pandaria Collector's Edition.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: