http://gamingtrend.com
September 20, 2014, 02:10:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are the symptoms of a 360 about to go bad?  (Read 4062 times)
IkeVandergraaf
Gaming Trend Senior Member

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« on: October 26, 2006, 04:37:37 PM »

Cross-posted

When I first got my 360 everything was perfect. Lately I've been noticing brief freezes. Recently, I've started getting disk unreadable errors. Not often and so far I think they've only happended with PGR3, which I boughten used, and NCAA07, which is my most-played game and which I occasionally leave out of the case and which has gotten a little scuffed. I'm wondering if I should be concerned yet. Also, sometimes when I download a video, it has brief freezes. Not worse than what I occasionally experience on my PC, but still, is that normal?

And what should I expect to have to do about it?  I should note that I bought the unit from Overstock.com in early July (so, more than 90 days ago) and I didn't buy an extended warranty.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 04:44:55 PM by IkeVandergraaf » Logged

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2006, 04:59:20 PM »

Well, I don't know that there is much you can do until it actually gives you the RRoD.  When mine died the first time, I experienced a lot of image freeze followed by a really bad snow on the bottom quarter of the screen.  The next day I got the RRoD.  I wouldn't worry a whole lot about it since it is past the 90 days and you can't return it.  Use it till it breaks or if it is possible you can go the MS solution but from what I have read, it blows ass!  What is the build date?  You might still be covered by MS....... :icon_sad:

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2006, 06:21:05 PM »

Build date is April 06.

What is "the MS solution"?  That sounds suspicious.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2006, 06:28:37 PM »

MS sucks ass.....read any other thread (Kill me now please, is a good one)  It is basically pay shipping to send it in to MS and get a different refurb unit back from them in a good couple of months with the high possibility that it will be messed up too or even worse arrive dead.  That is if UPS doesn't missplace it or damage it......
http://www.gamingtrend.com/forums/index.php/topic,15146.0.html  That is the link to Kill me now....
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 06:31:31 PM by papasmurff » Logged

IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2006, 07:08:29 PM »

Urgh, just read the Kill Me Now thread.  I guess I'm hoping that my 360 will be alright, but those symptoms don't sound good.  So what is this going to cost me if I'm outside the warranty period?  And how long do I have to purchase an extended warranty?

Gamertag = IkeV
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2006, 08:36:55 PM »

Quote from: papasmurff on October 26, 2006, 06:28:37 PM

MS sucks ass.....read any other thread (Kill me now please, is a good one)  It is basically pay shipping to send it in to MS and get a different refurb unit back from them in a good couple of months with the high possibility that it will be messed up too or even worse arrive dead.  That is if UPS doesn't missplace it or damage it......
http://www.gamingtrend.com/forums/index.php/topic,15146.0.html  That is the link to Kill me now....

Actually I got a referb back in quite a short amount of time. Something like 2 - 2.5 weeks. But then UPS didn't require a signature and left it out front. Luckily I was home at the time.

LiveTAG: happydog
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2006, 12:09:43 AM »

Quote from: happydog on October 26, 2006, 08:36:55 PM

Actually I got a referb back in quite a short amount of time. Something like 2 - 2.5 weeks. But then UPS didn't require a signature and left it out front. Luckily I was home at the time.

Unlike Arkon who had the same exact thing happen, except it decided to pour right afterwards.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2006, 07:53:46 PM »

Arkon is a magnet for bad luck.

All warranty issues I've had with MS have been excellent. (XBOX1, replacement power supply for 360)

I just wanted a second one; my first one was alright... I just didn't feel like moving powerbrick everytime I switched TVs.
Since you can't BUY em, I told em I lost mine. The guy said "sorry, there's nothing we can do."

I said "So I gotta go buy a 500 console for a part you can't sell separately, but are giving away to people with "bad ones"?"
He said hold on, then 5 min later came back and shipped me one.  icon_biggrin

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2006, 08:31:44 PM »

I'm on my third one and it's worked like a charm now for almost 4 months.

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2006, 08:34:30 PM »

Oh, here's a symptom:

if the magic smoke escapes, your 360 has gone bad.  nod

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2006, 10:11:20 PM »

OK, I'm pretty sure it's going bad.  Keeps locking up and not reading discs.  What are my options?

Gamertag = IkeV
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2006, 10:47:55 PM »

Well, If you got the warrenty where you bought it take it back.  Be careful though cause you will have to buy a new warrenty if you are out of the return date.

If not, call MS...... thumbsdown

IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2006, 03:33:06 AM »

I did not buy an extended warranty.  What does M$ charge if outside the 90-day warranty period?

Gamertag = IkeV
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2006, 04:06:47 AM »

no clue, the only way I know of to find out is to call.....

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2006, 05:18:47 AM »

I've heard it's about $130, but that is just second-hand info. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2006, 02:42:43 PM »

Well, I called this morning.  At first the guy said $140.  For that price, I would just go to Costco and buy a core system for $300 and a lifetime warranty.  So I asked to speak to his supervisor.  You know the song-and-dance: manufacturing defect, right outside the warranty period, &c.  He told me he could cut half the price off and repair it for $70 and said "At least it's something".  I asked when Microsoft changed their motto to "At least it's something".  Anyhoo, gave him my cc number and they're going to send me a box, etc.

I'll keep you updated.

Gamertag = IkeV
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2006, 06:50:24 PM »

After you send it in and they send you a system back, is that new system covered under their warrenty again......

I know that might sound like I am stupid but if they fixed it, it should be covered again.......

IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2006, 12:51:50 PM »

Yes, it's covered by a 90-day warranty, and I have the option to buy an extended warranty during that time period.

Gamertag = IkeV
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2006, 10:12:09 PM »

So, here's an update.  I hadn't heard from M$ regarding the tracking numbers of the box they were supposed to send me.  The M$ guy told me that it hadn't been "updated" in the "system" but that he could check it again in 24 "hours".  I told him that my "credit card" had been charged 2 days "ago" and that they didn't seem to have any trouble taking my "money" in a timely fashion.  Short answer:  check back tomorrow.

Gamertag = IkeV
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2006, 12:16:53 AM »

That sounds typical of a company like M$.  They get your money then screw you on the product..... I don't know about buying the warrenty, It might be worth it........  I bought the warrenty at best buy and well have had to use it and it is cheaper than the repairs from MS.  I don't know how expensive it is but maybe someone who has the warrenty and had to use it should comment on if it is worth it.....seems like it would be thyough..

IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2006, 08:02:57 PM »

So I called again this morning.  Still no tracking numbers.  He says if it doesn't ship by Friday, I should cancel out my ticket and file another one.  Presumably so they can wait another week to begin performing the service they've already charged me for.  He said sometimes the orders get "stuck".  Apparently, Microsoft, the world's largest software corporation, has a system by which shipping orders are communicated by little pieces of paper with hooks on strings or something that occasionally get "stuck".  Billing is, of course, done my the much faster computerized method.

I have to remind myself that my copy of Windows is stolen, so at least there's that.

Gamertag = IkeV
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2006, 09:05:05 PM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on November 01, 2006, 08:02:57 PM

Apparently, Microsoft, the world's largest software corporation, has a system by which shipping orders are communicated by little pieces of paper with hooks on strings or something that occasionally get "stuck".

Nah that's just silly, it's probably just the result of a memory leak in the Access DB holding the shiiping info and the shipping system need to be rebooted. They should run chkdsk too. slywink

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2006, 02:50:11 PM »

So, I called again yesterday evening to check on the status of those tracking numbers.  At first the guy said they weren't sending out boxes and that I had to ship it myself.  Which isn't what the guy said on Sunday.  So, again, I asked to speak to a supervisor.  After 20 minutes on hold a supervisor tells me that they no longer ship boxes and that my ticket got entered wrong.  So can they correct it?  No.  They have to cancel out that ticket, refund my money and start a new ticket.  But get this.  If they start the new ticket within a half hour of canceling the old ticket, it will get hung up.  So I have to call back in a half an hour.

Go back and read those last few sentences again.  I'll wait.

Microsoft, the world's largest software corporation, who makes the operating systems that 90% of the world's computers rely on, can't change an order in their system, and can't even cancel an order and start a new one in one transaction.  I have to wait a half hour (after waiting on hold about half an hour) to call back (and wait on hold again, presumably) or their software can't get the order right.

Anyways, I went home and called them back about an hour later.  I'll give them another call this morning.  More to come!

Seriously, though, at this point I'm wondering whether it doesn't just make sense to cancel the repair and pick up a new core system for $300.  It's jsut not that much money.  I don't really mind the idea of being without my 360 for a few weeks - I was thinking it would give me a chance to play some PS2 games I've been wanting to get off my backlog.  I'm just concerned about the (low) level of competence at Microsoft at this point.  If I'm going to have to send the thing back multiple times, then I'm not sure it's worth it.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Anyone send their 360 back to M$ once and have it come back fine?  Or is the general consensus that multiple attempts are necessary?

Gamertag = IkeV
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2006, 02:57:57 PM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on November 02, 2006, 02:50:11 PM

Anyone send their 360 back to M$ once and have it come back fine?

Yes.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2006, 03:09:00 PM »

Well if you do decide to go get a new system and just say screw M$ be sure to pick up the warrenty when you buy the new system that was you won't have to deal with m$ if it breaks- just take it back!

IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2006, 03:41:39 PM »

See, I still believe that extended warranties are in almost all cases a ripoff.  That said, I think my sister is going to Costco this weekend.  So if the box hasn't arrived by Saturday, I may have her pick me up a core system.

My birthday is next week and I want to play the new Tony Hawk game.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 03:44:50 PM by IkeVandergraaf » Logged

Gamertag = IkeV
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2006, 09:40:52 PM »

So...if anyone's interested, I called this afternoon and gave me the tracking number of the box that went out.  UPS says it should be here by next week.  Now I don't know what to do.  I should send my 360 in for repairs and hope for the best and use the time without it to play PS2 games.  But my birthday is next week and I haven't had a new game in forever.

Gamertag = IkeV
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2006, 10:01:54 PM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on November 02, 2006, 03:41:39 PM

Thanks for linking to that article. I'm halfway tempted to print a copy and stick it in my glove box so I can have it with me and hand it to a clerk the next time I am hassled about an extended warranty.

I can kindof, sorta see why people are spooked into getting a warranty with the 360 because of anecdotal forum evidence, but that article pretty much debunks every argument I've seen for buying extended warranties.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2006, 10:10:49 PM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on November 03, 2006, 09:40:52 PM

So...if anyone's interested, I called this afternoon and gave me the tracking number of the box that went out.  UPS says it should be here by next week.  Now I don't know what to do.  I should send my 360 in for repairs and hope for the best and use the time without it to play PS2 games.  But my birthday is next week and I haven't had a new game in forever.

Well, I'd take the first option and work on the backlog...but mine is currently 23 games...so that's why I'm leaning that way.  And if it has been forever already a couple more weeks shouldn't be unbearable...

If you just *can't* wait, well...
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2006, 02:44:33 PM »

So the box finally showed up last night.  Dropped it off at Staples this morning.  Woo.

Gamertag = IkeV
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2006, 04:19:59 PM »

So I called M$ again last Thursday, after the UPS website reported that they had delivered my package on Monday.  The drone told me that they had my XBox and were working on it, and that they would probably ship it out to me on Friday or Monday, and that I could call back for a tracking number.

On Friday when I got home, my doorman tells me that I have a package.  I was not expecting a package and you can imagine my surprise when it turned out to be vaguely XBox-sized.  I open it up, and it's a 360, with a later manufacture date then my original (the new one is 6/06) and appears to be brand new.  I take it upstairs and hook it up and it appears to work fine.  So, I immediately ran out to Circuit City to pick up GoW and THP8 for extended testing.

After a weekend of fairly heavy use, it seems to run fine.  It did have one lockup with PGR3, but I bought that one used and I don't really like that game so much, so I'm hoping that it's just a bad disk.

I've calendared when my 90-day warranty should expire, but hopefully so far-so good!

Gamertag = IkeV
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2006, 05:30:56 PM »

Huzzah!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: