http://gamingtrend.com
August 20, 2014, 10:43:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are some good open-world RPG games?  (Read 2679 times)
corruptrelic
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: September 13, 2006, 05:14:00 AM »

For 360 or PS2..

Games like KOTOR (Knights of the old republic), The Bard's Tale, and upcoming Final Fantasy XII.. (Damn that looks AMAZING!)

I'm looking to pass some time in singleplayer and am open to suggestions for games (new or old) that give you a lot of freedom, where you can walk around and explore worlds, meet new people, recruit NPC allies to join up with you, and do whatever you want..

Any suggestions?

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2006, 05:18:22 AM »

Dragon Quest VIII.  While the world is gradually unveiled, each section that you get is very large and there is a definite emphasis on exploration.  Also, there is a pretty neat monster recruiting min-game that you unlock after about a third of the game or so. 
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2006, 05:56:31 AM »

I've only played a little of it, but Romancing Saga for PS2 is pretty non-linear, and allows you to recruit people.  Jade Empire is similar to KoTOR, but with more action-based fighting (don't know if it's on the BC list or not).  There are also some more linear RPGs that offer world exploration - are you interested in those?

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2006, 10:48:55 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on September 13, 2006, 05:18:22 AM

Dragon Quest VIII.  While the world is gradually unveiled, each section that you get is very large and there is a definite emphasis on exploration.  Also, there is a pretty neat monster recruiting min-game that you unlock after about a third of the game or so. 

Ding! DQ8 is a hoot. Great sense of humor, pacing and fun.  Level up a few times before the first dungeon though  icon_wink

Fable on the original Xbox sort of fits, but it's not a very expansive world. Still I had fun exploring the cities and towns.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2006, 01:45:50 PM »

Though it didn't get the best reviews, I thought Drakken (Draken?) was a pretty fun action RPG. There's lots of open areas/caves to explore.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2006, 03:18:58 PM »

saywhat you. haven't. heard. of. Oblivion?  eek
Play it. headbang3

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2006, 03:52:19 PM »

Quote from: Purge
Play it. headbang3
Quote from: Corruptrelic
recruit NPC allies to join up with you

Nope, Oblivion won't meet what Corrupt's looking for.  icon_wink  He's actually asked about Oblivion in the past and was really turned off by the lack of party members.  While that may not be much of an issue for you or me, it's a real killjoy for him, so party-based games are a better recommendation for what he's looking for in this thread.  icon_smile

I'd second the Dragon Quest 8 recommendations, since I absolutely LOVE that game, but I don't really know if it'll hit Corruptrelic's tastes.  Perhaps a rental is in order?

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
warning

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2006, 04:18:47 PM »

Play Steambot Chronicles on your PS2.  It's a very open-ended, freeform game.  But I think I'm the only one in the world who's been playing this.  You can read my impressions here.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2006, 05:39:31 PM »

Quote from: Farscry on September 13, 2006, 03:52:19 PM

Quote from: Purge
Play it. headbang3
Quote from: Corruptrelic
recruit NPC allies to join up with you

Nope, Oblivion won't meet what Corrupt's looking for.  icon_wink  He's actually asked about Oblivion in the past and was really turned off by the lack of party members.  While that may not be much of an issue for you or me, it's a real killjoy for him, so party-based games are a better recommendation for what he's looking for in this thread.  icon_smile

I'd second the Dragon Quest 8 recommendations, since I absolutely LOVE that game, but I don't really know if it'll hit Corruptrelic's tastes.  Perhaps a rental is in order?

since it was the point right before the "etc" I didn't think that was the main issue. Go with Enchanted Arms for that then. RPGs on the 360 are not plentiful, but these two are very engaging, or so I am told. (I had been too distracted with DW5:E and N3 to sink too much time into EA or Oblivion .... although I do own both.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2006, 05:51:13 PM »

Quote from: Purge on September 13, 2006, 05:39:31 PM

Go with Enchanted Arms for that then. RPGs on the 360 are not plentiful, but these two are very engaging, or so I am told. (I had been too distracted with DW5:E and N3 to sink too much time into EA or Oblivion .... although I do own both.

I don't intend this to sound as rude as I know it will (I can't think of another way to phrase it), but I'd go with recommendations of games people have actually played first. icon_biggrin You know I know you're cool, so hopefully you don't take offense! icon_smile He mentioned the PS2 along with the 360, and listed several regular X-Box games as well, so I don't think he's limiting himself to just the 360.

From a lot of what I've heard, Enchanted Arms at least bears looking into though. I just can't recommend for or against it.

I really dug Final Fantasy X, but if there's one thing that game doesn't give you, it's much freedom to explore the world as you wish.  At the end of the game you get the opportunity to revisit areas you've been to, but otherwise it's not only linear in story, but it literally has a path you follow from start to finish. I really, really hope that FFXII ditches that model. I prefer the old style of FF games which are more like DQ8 was: give me a linear story, but a wide world to explore. Of course, after the world full of Infamous Monsters and treasure chests that DQ8 provided, the old-style FF worlds seem stark and dry in comparison.  icon_wink

[edit]Oh, and Corrupt?  If you haven't yet, give Dynasty Warriors 5 Empires a shot.  It's a great game, both Purge and I love it!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2006, 05:52:45 PM by Farscry » Logged

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2006, 06:17:34 PM »

Quote from: Farscry on September 13, 2006, 05:51:13 PM

Quote from: Purge on September 13, 2006, 05:39:31 PM

Go with Enchanted Arms for that then. RPGs on the 360 are not plentiful, but these two are very engaging, or so I am told. (I had been too distracted with DW5:E and N3 to sink too much time into EA or Oblivion .... although I do own both.

but I'd go with recommendations of games people have actually played first. icon_biggrin You know I know you're cool, so hopefully you don't take offense! icon_smile He mentioned the PS2 along with the 360, and listed several regular X-Box games as well, so I don't think he's limiting himself to just the 360.

[edit]Oh, and Corrupt?  If you haven't yet, give Dynasty Warriors 5 Empires a shot.  It's a great game, both Purge and I love it!

I'm actually done with my copy I think. biggrin 900+ achievements... I'm only missing one battle and less than 5 warriors. I've unlocked a LOT of 4th level weapons, and if I could co-op or versus this game over Live it would NEVER leave my library. Hell, splitscreen would have been fine (where 2nd player could actually play a different force). Then it would be chinese Risk on 'roids!! Unfortunately not though. frown

As to Oblivion, I *have* played it, and I played the f-bomb outta morrowind. This time around it was on PC that I've spent more time is all. biggrin As to EA, the forum effect is sucking people in and they're loving it and all it's golem-y goodness. Tis why I mention it.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2006, 07:31:04 PM »

I know its not open ended, but, you know, FINAL FANTASY X!!
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2006, 01:26:30 AM »

The next Dynasty Warriors Empires better have multiplayer of some type over live!

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2006, 01:41:59 AM »

I'd say romancing saga is right up your alley, up to 5 characters in a party, you unlock quests, 54 of them in all, and play through them almost in any order. Many quests are parts of other quests so that just makes them bigger. 3 endings, like 9 main characters to choose from, and for the most part you can recruit almost any other main character in game. Large world to open up, great back story, good battle system, weapon creation system and I found it to be a lot of fun. I put in well over 45 hours. One caveat, you should get a guide, if for nothing other than the weapon creation info. Great game and it's exactly what you're looking for.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2006, 11:56:01 AM »

Damn Farscry, you really know my mind! (It's almost disturbing..  icon_wink)

Per your suggestion I picked up Dynasty Warriors 5 Empires $29.99 at Gamestop (gotta love their "gutting" practices as my open-box "new" game came with a few scratches on it and they woudn't give me an open-box discount as they broke the factory seal) and am loving it. Not quite an open-ended RPG like I had in mind, but it's hell of a lot of fun. The armies on screen seem pretty brain dead though.. but the generals (?) give some pretty good fights, both your allied generals and the enemies.
Very nice.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll definitely be looking at picking up dragon quest 8 tomorrow at gamestop used (yeah I know I bash 'em yet still shop there lol) so in any case I can still return it.

As for Oblivion, I think it had a lot of potential but the lack of being able to team up with NPC's to quest with is what put me off. There's some companion mods on the PC version, but my current rig just can't handle anything more than Warcraft 3 at this point.
I was looking at Enchanted Arms but the mixed reviews are putting me off for now.. maybe I'll give it a shot when the price comes down.

Also backwards compatiblity is fine on the 360.. should have mentioned that in the original post.

Thanks again for the tips, I've got my weekend filled of looking for some of the titles listed here!

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2006, 03:47:35 PM »

If you want hours of frustration getting it going, and you don't mind playing with live people instead of npc's (though you do get your very own npc eventually!)... and you want to lose not just a weekend, but most of your life:

FFXI ftw... lol

But be sure to get a World Pass to Asura server so you can join our Liinkshell... we'd get you up to speed in a hurry!   

Sorry, that was mean, just mean even suggesting it... you do  have a job right? Never mind...icon_twisted

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2006, 04:31:44 PM »

Quote from: corruptrelic
Damn Farscry, you really know my mind! (It's almost disturbing..  icon_wink)

Heh... I just pay attention to what people speak in favor of and against so I can learn what their preferences are.  Both in case they ever ask me for recommendations, and also so that I know what bias to apply when they recommend for or against games for me, too. icon_biggrin

Per your suggestion I picked up Dynasty Warriors 5 Empires $29.99 at Gamestop (gotta love their "gutting" practices as my open-box "new" game came with a few scratches on it and they woudn't give me an open-box discount as they broke the factory seal) and am loving it. Not quite an open-ended RPG like I had in mind, but it's hell of a lot of fun. The armies on screen seem pretty brain dead though.. but the generals (?) give some pretty good fights, both your allied generals and the enemies.
Very nice.

Yeah, the regular troops are pretty brain-dead on both sides, but their sheer numbers can still sometimes give you and the other generals (on both sides) trouble if they box you in too much, or if the archers get some nice shots in.  At first I really didn't like the combat in the game, it seemed too simplistic, but once I got the hang of the controls and learned more about the layers inside the combat and the strategic elements (make sure and give some guidance to your allied generals!), the game really opened up a lot of fun for me!

I'll definitely be looking at picking up dragon quest 8 tomorrow at gamestop used (yeah I know I bash 'em yet still shop there lol) so in any case I can still return it.

Ok, as long as you can return it if you don't like it; it really is one of those love it or hate it games; I love it, but I can see why others might hate it. icon_smile

And Myto?  That's just cruel!   icon_biggrin  You're a virtual crack peddler!   icon_lol

corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2006, 05:51:53 PM »

Thanks myto, I'd be more than willing to give FFXI a shot, except Sony pretty much ensured that it's system woudn't be getting any new players when they yanked the hard drive support with the newer slim models. (Which is the model I have.)

On the bright side though, Phantasy Star Online is coming to the 360 and PS2 in just short two months and I already see myself spending countless hours on it.. online and off.
(Anyone remember the old dreamcast days with PSO?)

Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2006, 07:15:36 PM »

I love PSO, I even loved PSO3 (the card game).   icon_biggrin  However, I always played them offline (I had both on the Cube).  Dunno if I'd be willing to pay a monthly sub for PSU.  I'll wait and see.  I'm sure I'll get it if the single-player quest has a lot of play value, and then consider doing the sub for a couple months if it's cheap enough.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2006, 10:09:12 PM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on September 14, 2006, 05:51:53 PM

Thanks myto, I'd be more than willing to give FFXI a shot, except Sony pretty much ensured that it's system woudn't be getting any new players when they yanked the hard drive support with the newer slim models. (Which is the model I have.)

On the bright side though, Phantasy Star Online is coming to the 360 and PS2 in just short two months and I already see myself spending countless hours on it.. online and off.
(Anyone remember the old dreamcast days with PSO?)

Corruptrelic.... FFXI is on Xbox360 as well, and it looks almost as good as the PC version. The PC version is a pain to play unless you had a PS2-like controller, so the 360 controller is a good fit for the game. If you already have an account from prev. playing (or you know someone who has an account they're willing to sign over) then go to town with it.

Plug in a USB keyboard and you're good to go.

mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2006, 04:57:07 PM »

Bwah-ha-hahhh! Another possible addict.. um...  player!  I was going to say, "WHAT?? Corrupt doesnt have a 360??" lol, but it sounds like you do.

Oh thanks, Farscry, now you can run a Google on "mytocles" and "crack peddler" and get me!  Oh, totally off topic, lol, if you run a search on Google entering only Mytocles... lol you get that suggestion box they give you when they try to guess what you really meant: Did you mean motorcycles?"  Tongue

I played PSO on the Cube as well, and loved it, but it feels like I already have finished with that experience, plus the FFXI crack is capable of lasting, literally, years.  Now we have Chocobo raising (and racing!), our own NPC's to fight with, the usual leveling of main character, subjob, extra jobs, the expansion areas, cooking, smithing, alchemy, and on and on and on, lol.  If I'm down to playing Oblivion during Playonline maintenance, I can't imagine starting PSO online... :icon_sad:

Be sure to come to Asura though, Corrupt - just send me an email and I will get you a Pass to come to that server.  We are probably the only clan capable of doing what we did yesterday.  We recruited a level 75, who was our "noob" for about one hour, because I invited a level one who had just stumbled out of the beginning scene.. and was asking for help like a mewling babe, lol.  That's right Metal, you read it here first!

And remember to choose Bastok as your town, we are primarily Bastokan, since we quest and fight together a lot, and some of the quests are exclusive to the town you choose.  Also, anyone else thinking of starting the game soon, send me an email, because there is a single use Pass, and one that has five uses...

Oh my, I'm babbling about FFXI... what a shock!  icon_twisted

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2006, 05:08:04 PM »

Quote from: mytocles on September 19, 2006, 04:57:07 PM

Oh thanks, Farscry, now you can run a Google on "mytocles" and "crack peddler" and get me!

Actually, I just tried and it didn't work, but I can at least try another shot!  Here, proof that Mytocles is a crack peddler!

icon_lol

mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2006, 05:20:52 PM »

Lol, Farscry!

But if you just enter the single word, mytocles, at least you still get this:

Did you mean: motorcycles    icon_biggrin

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2006, 07:28:43 PM »

heh... that's awesome.   icon_biggrin  I'll be watching to see if entering Mytocles crack peddler into Google gets any results here over the next few weeks.  icon_lol  Maybe we can get you a job with Square Enix USA that way!

corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2006, 11:38:15 PM »

Yes I have a 360 myto, although I was under the impression that you needed Live to play online? I coudn't see myself paying for Live and then have to pay even more just to play FFXI. Thats why I was thinking of the PS2 version.

I'm curious about that Besieged mode (think that's what it was called) though, they had a preview of the expansion in OPM and said hundreds of NPCs were attacking their town and the human players had to make a stand and defend it. (Though they did say it lagged straight to hell with all the characters on the screen at once and that Square needs to fix it.)

Farscry have you played Dynasty Warriors 4 Empires? Or DW5 Xtreme Legends?
Is it worth looking into them if I already have DW5 Empires?

It also looks like Samurai Warriors 2 - the 360 version at least - has online play, but only 2 players.
Maybe one day they'll give us the singleplayer free play mode, but allow it to be played online, with each general being controlled by a human player, along with dozens and dozens of AI soldiers at his command. Same type of set up too, one team defends and one team invades. And if you dont have enough human players, you could just give the remaining general(s) to the game AI for a full game.
Damn that'd be sweet!

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2006, 11:48:52 PM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on September 19, 2006, 11:38:15 PM

Yes I have a 360 myto, although I was under the impression that you needed Live to play online? I coudn't see myself paying for Live and then have to pay even more just to play FFXI. Thats why I was thinking of the PS2 version.

You only need Live Silver (which is free) to play FFXI (along with the monthly fee just for FFXI of course). 
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2006, 01:30:23 PM »

Dynasty Warriors 5 Empires is actually my first game in the series that I've played. And boy am I glad I did! icon_biggrin If I get tired of it, I might try 4 just to see if it's different enough to be fun while we wait for the inevitable 6th in the series. icon_wink

That multiplayer setup would be awesome, I can only hope that they get around to implementing it in a future title!

mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2006, 02:00:11 PM »

Corrupt, I am a former non-Live owner myself.  I never had it for the XBox itself and only got it with the 360 launch.  With that launch probably a majority of folks went for the free month of Live Gold.  Bad idea it turned out, because they all came due for renewal apx. one month after launch.  It turns out that people sell the code cards on eBay, for a considerable savings (dunno how, but it seems legit).  When I bought mine, because of the timing, I had to pay something around $38 I think.  A quick look at eBay this morning showed multiple listings, from $10 up.  Bear in mind that this is a full year of XBox Live Gold.  So really, the monthly fee is the important factor, not the Gold price... and you will finally be able to play Geometry Wars and Zuma (and their full versions if desired)!  You won't care, at all, of course if you are one of the ones who you loves FFXI...  icon_twisted

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2006, 02:10:52 PM »

and you will finally be able to play Geometry Wars and Zuma (and their full versions if desired)!

The free sliver package is fine for those, as well as all demos and other pay transactions.  The only thing Gold has been required for so far is online play and a few video exclusives during E3. 
fyedaddy

Ass

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2006, 02:15:11 PM »

Quote from: Tebunker on September 14, 2006, 01:41:59 AM

I'd say romancing saga is right up your alley *snip*

That sounds great, Tebunker. Are those games turned based or real time?

XBox Live ID: fyedaddy

"I give up - Go with the DS. It's far better."
"Nintendo is King, and anyone who says otherwise is wrong."
 --Devil
fyedaddy

Ass

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2006, 02:23:56 PM »

Quote from: Farscry on September 14, 2006, 07:15:36 PM

I love PSO, I even loved PSO3 (the card game).   icon_biggrin  However, I always played them offline (I had both on the Cube). 

Why speak of these in the past tense? We were talking about playing them just yesterday!  paranoid

--Devil
fyedaddy

Ass

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2006, 02:26:54 PM »

Now we have Chocobo raising (and racing!), our own NPC's to fight with, the usual leveling of main character, subjob, extra jobs, the expansion areas, cooking, smithing, alchemy, and on and on and on, lol. 

I don't need to hear things like this  ninja   *plugs ears*

--Devil
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2006, 02:29:48 PM »

Quote from: fyedaddy on September 20, 2006, 02:23:56 PM

Quote from: Farscry on September 14, 2006, 07:15:36 PM

I love PSO, I even loved PSO3 (the card game).   icon_biggrin  However, I always played them offline (I had both on the Cube). 

Why speak of these in the past tense? We were talking about playing them just yesterday!  paranoid

You never want to play them anymore, so I put it in the past tense out of sorrow for their unplayed status!  icon_biggrin

Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2006, 02:31:19 PM »

Quote from: fyedaddy on September 20, 2006, 02:26:54 PM

Now we have Chocobo raising (and racing!), our own NPC's to fight with, the usual leveling of main character, subjob, extra jobs, the expansion areas, cooking, smithing, alchemy, and on and on and on, lol. 

I don't need to hear things like this  ninja   *plugs ears*

Don't worry; the grind puts every other mmo you've ever played to shame so badly that you'd be more likely to play Everquest.  And you hated Everquest.   icon_lol

That's not a rag on FFXI per se, but rather an honest assessment based on your gaming preferences.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: