http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 01:07:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What adult type games like Resident Evil 4 are Cube bound?  (Read 3017 times)
mikeg
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: December 29, 2004, 11:47:10 PM »

I mean gritty, attempt to be realistic, and exclusive for the Cube.  I don't care for any of the cell-shaded kiddie looking games like Zelda, Pikmin, Mario, etc no matter what the gameplay is like.  They just don't turn my crank, but I really really want to play the new Res 4 game about to come out.  

I am considering getting a Cube for that one game, but it would be easier to swallow if I knew that this next year there were 2 to 3 others of that ilk coming to the Cube that would help me justify the expenditure.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2004, 11:53:24 PM »

It's also coming out for the PS2.

As for more exclusive "mature" titles heading to the GC, I doubt we'll see many (if any at all) before the next nintendo console hits the shelves.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2004, 11:55:03 PM »

I have a PS2.  I can wait I guess.  It's not like I have finished all the other games I have.  Thanks for the heads up.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2004, 01:12:45 AM »

Geist and Killer 7 are two that I've been looking forward to for quite a while.

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2004, 02:15:12 AM »

I haven't played it yet, but Eternal Darkness is also supposed to be excellent, and it's very cheap now.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2004, 02:32:09 AM »

Eternal Darkness is a superb, masterpiece of a game. It really is one of the real reasons to own a gamecube.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2004, 02:37:40 AM »

there's also resident evil remake and resident evil 0, beyond that you might want to give metroid a swing, most third party titles are available and have you seen the next Zelda video? The one that doesn't look cartoony at all?

You can definately wait a year for the PS2 version, but something in me tells me it won't run nearly as nice or even be worth the extra wait.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Dinkytoy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2004, 04:58:57 PM »

if you decide to get one you might try looking for the gamecube bundle that comes with Metroid Prime, it's a fantastic game.

someone said it's only $50 at Sears, but I doubt it's possible to find one.
jessie
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2004, 06:14:10 PM »

i just picked up the GC w/ metroid bundle last night from a local ebgames.  for $126 i got the following:

GC w/ metroid prime
Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour
Mario Kart: Double Dash
Zelda: Wind Waker

They have a buy 2/get one free, so I ended up getting Wind Waker as my free game.

http://www.grandtheftblogger.com

XBOX Live! Gamer Tag: jessthelaw
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2004, 12:49:43 AM »

Am thinking of getting the one for $79 at GameCrazy.  Just not sure.  I really can't see anything but the Res Evil games that I would play on, but unfortunately, I really love those games and can't stand the thought of not playing the new one coming out.  

Sad thing is that I think that the Cube is superior console of the big three.  I think it is designed magnificently, but sadly, few to no games on it.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2004, 06:54:26 AM »

Just got Eternal Darkness for Christmas, and it's pretty solid. The combat's a bit iffy, but I'm digging the story and the game has scared the hell out of me more than the majority of recent horror movies. The magic system is ramping up and providing cooler spells. My only real complaint is that the game's a little more expensive than I'd figure a thre or four year old game should be.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2004, 05:14:33 PM »

Expensive? The most I have seen Eternal Darkness for in the past two years is $20 (except for the odd sighting for full price at somewhere like Toys R Us)! I routinely see it new for $10! How cheap should it be, free?! smile

ED would be worth it for $100!!!!

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2004, 05:56:26 PM »

Well, I got my cube for a piddly $58.50 (tax and all).  And the Platinum edition to boot.  The girl must have liked me cuz the sticker price was $99.  It came with a Mario game that I didn't want and I asked if I could take it out of the box and they give me store credit for it towards the price of the system, and wallah, I paid less than $60 for a brand new Platinum cube.  Wow.  

Now, bring on Rez 4!

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2005, 05:15:46 AM »

I couldn't find ED new for anything less than $50 CDN.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2005, 06:25:44 AM »

Used copies are going for as little as $9 -

http://half.ebay.com/cat/buy/prod.cgi?cpid=1059590305&domain_id=1794&meta_id=4
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2005, 03:06:34 AM »

Holy cow, I am enjoying the hell out of Eternal Darkness. I don't think it's perfect - the combat still seems little more than a slashfest with a rock-paper-scissors mentality, and the story is a little too cheesy evil for my tastes - but I'm hooked, and most importantly, I look forward to playing the game. It's not a chore, it's an enjoyment. Reviews mentioned that it takes a few hours to get into the game, and they were right. I was a little worried that the game was going to be a waste the first night I played. But now, now, I do think this is one of the best games I've played on the Cube.

Man oh man, if only this story had been paired up with Wind Waker-like gameplay - I swear I'd be in gaming bliss.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2005, 04:36:39 AM »

This thread needs more:

That aside, ED was a fantastic game.  One tip - rather than constantly keeping your sanity level high, I found it to be more entertaining to let it dip down low so you can see all the nasty tricks the developers put in there to mess with your brain.  I still remember the first time I ran frantically around the living room looking for the remote because I thought the volume was borked....

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2005, 05:24:05 AM »

Yeah, I got hit with two of my favourites for the first time today: the ol' volume trick, and the floor of quicksand dance. I also really dig the creepy crawlies that get funky all over the screen.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2005, 03:20:37 AM »

Um, so, Eternal Darkness is a really good game. I finished it today ... and I'm sad.

Mike, take a look at ED if you're still searching for RE-like games.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
unbongwah
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2005, 03:56:08 PM »

As far as upcoming GC games go, the only two I know of which come close to meeting your criteria are Geist (a FPS) and Killer7, which is...well, I'm not sure what it's supposed to be, to be honest - some weird action-adventure-FPS hybrid, I think.  K7 has cel-shaded graphics, but it's going for a "dark graphic novel" vibe, not some "Super Happy Fun Time!" look.

As for older GC titles, there's the original Resident Evil remake, along with RE0, of course, which you ought to be able to find for $20 or less.  Likewise, I'll second Eternal Darkness, which was a RE-ish action-adventure with a Lovecraftian vibe to it.  Graphics are kinda dated at this point, but you oughta be able to find it dirt-cheap in a bargain bin in the U.S.  I guess the Metroid games might count, too, depending on whether scifi is sufficiently "realistic" to meet your needs.

Honestly, though, the Cube ain't anybody's first choice for "dark `n gritty" games.  Historically, Nintendo's biggest advantage has been their first-party games.  And if you're not a fan of their major franchises (i.e., Zelda, Mario, etc.) or their quirkly offshoots (llike Pikmin), well, the pickings are slim for you...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: