http://gamingtrend.com
July 28, 2014, 08:47:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What 'Must Play' games have I missed?  (Read 729 times)
Orgull
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 12, 2011, 04:08:24 AM »

Just bought myself an Alienware M18X (It's Wonderful) and I've realized I barely bought any games over the past two years.

In the past two years I've bought Torchlight, Dragon Age Origins and um... I can't recall buying much since Spore actually. Love Civ IV, play Diablo, TItan Quest and Sacred 2 constantly. Need a game that can really use my rigs power and look good doing it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 04:09:58 AM »

Fallout 3: Game of the Year Edition
Fallout New Vegas (possibly wait for GOTY edition or whatever)
Civilization V GOTY
Borderlands GOTY

I'm sure there's others, and it really depends on what you LIKE to play. 
Orgull

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 04:20:41 AM »

Ah yes. Missed New Vegas AND Civ V. Looks like I'm headed to the store tomorrow smile

I like to play games that are actually games and that are fun. Genre is irrelevant to me, though RPG's are extra appealing to me.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 04:24:32 AM »

The Witcher 1/2 should be good RPG fodder and the second should put your rig to the test.

Just Cause 2 and Batman: Arkham Asylum are great games worth trying if you like action games, though JC2 is more open-world shooter and Batman is kind of stealth and beat-em-up.

I would second Borderlands, and if you're looking into shooters also try Battlefield Bad Company 2 (or the upcoming Battlefield 3), Deus Ex: Human Revolution, and Metro 2033 should still push your machine. 

I've heard good things about The Settlers 7, and Tropico 3 or 4 should be good strategy gaming with decent graphics.

If you like driving games, you might look into Dirt 3, Driver: San Francisco, NFS: Shift 2, NFS: Hot Pursuit or Blur.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 04:43:34 AM by EngineNo9 » Logged

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 04:25:02 AM »

ProTip:  Steam Sales will a) wreck your wallet b) give you more gaming goodness than you know what to do and c) save money on individual games.

Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 11:03:06 AM »

I'll second both Witcher 1/2, and either of Tropico 3 or 4 as fun pc games. Starcraft 2?
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 12:57:57 PM »

Portal 2
The Witcher 2
Civilization 5

Also a homm 6 demo up on steam.

Then, go to gog and grab BG1, BG2, TOEE, and Icewind dale 1 and 2.

That should keep you entertained for the next 3 years or so.

Do not forget to save money and time for Skyrim, diablo 3, etc. that are coming soon.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 01:06:01 PM by Morgul » Logged
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 01:06:52 PM »

Quote from: Azhag on October 12, 2011, 11:03:06 AM

I'll second both Witcher 1/2, and either of Tropico 3 or 4 as fun pc games. Starcraft 2?

Given your examples, I'm surprised this wasn't in the first reply.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2011, 02:13:17 PM »

Batman Arkham City will be a must play game in November, along with the aforementioned Skyrim.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2011, 02:15:45 PM »

Yeah, get Civ V. Been meaning to go back to that game. Great, long-term strategy. Borderlands is a lot of fun. If you're into MMOs, you should try Rift; was released very polished right off the bat. And load League Of Legends too, it's free to play and you might get a kick out of it.
Orgull

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2011, 03:55:05 PM »

Thanks for the replies! I see some Civ V, Fallout New Vegas, Tropico 4 action in my future smile. At least until Diablo 3 comese out!

Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2011, 05:57:46 PM »

I also loved AC Brotherhood, but a lot of people are ticked by Ubisofts DRM needing a constant internet connection.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2011, 06:11:08 PM »

Quote from: Greg Wak on October 12, 2011, 05:57:46 PM

I also loved AC Brotherhood, but a lot of people are ticked by Ubisofts DRM needing a constant internet connection.

AC was a fantastic series (2, Brotherhood, 1 if you hadn't played it)

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2011, 06:48:39 PM »

Quote from: Purge on October 12, 2011, 06:11:08 PM

Quote from: Greg Wak on October 12, 2011, 05:57:46 PM

AC was a fantastic series (2, Brotherhood, 1 if you hadn't played it)

Eh, I'm usually a believer in completionism, but I can't think of any reason to slog through the first Assassin's Creed when every single aspect of it was so completely outclassed by the sequels.  It isn't like the Witcher series where the games are distinct enough to appeal to different tastes.  Assassin's Creed was a mediocre-to-poor game when it was released and has aged very poorly in the shadow of its successors.

I only point this out because I'd hate for someone to try the first AC game, rightly decide that it's boring as hell, and give up on the franchise.  AC2 and Brotherhood blow it away in terms of storytelling, mission structure, combat, level design -- it's a total blowout.

-Autistic Angel
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2011, 07:43:30 PM »

Boring as hell? The game garnered a solid 80% over the three platforms. It was good enough for Ubi to be able to make the next two, and while it isn't as good as the sequels, it by no means is a bad game.

Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2011, 08:01:13 PM »

They did make good improvements in AC2 and Brotherhood, but I will second the notion that AC 1 is still a fun game to play.
If you like shooters the Stalker series is not to be missed.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2011, 08:04:05 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on October 12, 2011, 06:48:39 PM

I only point this out because I'd hate for someone to try the first AC game, rightly decide that it's boring as hell, and give up on the franchise.  

That is exactly what I did after playing the first game.  I did eventually buy AC2 when it was super cheap on Steam recently, but haven't even booted it up.

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2011, 02:56:04 AM »

Quote from: Purge on October 12, 2011, 07:43:30 PM

Boring as hell? The game garnered a solid 80% over the three platforms. It was good enough for Ubi to be able to make the next two, and while it isn't as good as the sequels, it by no means is a bad game.

Assassin's Creed makes a nice first impression.  It looks good and animates well.  I was enjoying it up until it became apparent that the entire game consisted of the same four or five missions repeated over and over again, leading to an assassination mission in which a crude frontal assault was invariably more efficient than circuitous subterfuge, and concluding with a long-winded blast of expository dialogue intended to assure me that a story was happening.

AC2 wove the story organically into its missions.  The things I was doing had concrete reasons for doing them.  Rather than a cryptic tale about murdering unrelated historical figures for "the greater good," it tightened down to a story of personal tragedy and vengeance I could identify with.  Ezio's toolset was vastly expanded to give him many more ways to approach encounters, and the guards were well-equipped enough to make them worth using.

I don't mean to denigrate people who enjoyed the first game.  I do want to emphasize that it's a serious outlier in the series so far, and unless Orgull picks up a great package deal for the whole set, I believe he'd miss very little by skipping straight into the sequel.

-Autistic Angel
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2011, 03:34:58 AM »

Quote from: Orgull on October 12, 2011, 04:08:24 AM

Just bought myself an Alienware M18X (It's Wonderful) and I've realized I barely bought any games over the past two years.

In the past two years I've bought Torchlight, Dragon Age Origins and um... I can't recall buying much since Spore actually. Love Civ IV, play Diablo, TItan Quest and Sacred 2 constantly. Need a game that can really use my rigs power and look good doing it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
How about Warhammer 40K: Space Marine? And there's a playable demo so you can see if its gameplay suits you or not.  icon_smile While it can certainly push and take advantage of a hot rod system, it seems very scalable/efficient and has given me great frame rates whereas some other 3rd person games and most FPSs drag mine down.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 03:36:36 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
DrJones
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2011, 02:54:36 PM »

You might want to also check out Dead Space and Dead Space 2 both excellent games.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2011, 04:16:45 PM »

Something to note about the original Dead Space: the in-game options allow you to choose between V-Sync Off which suffers from horrific screen-tearing, or V-Sync On which results in a crazy input lag that renders the game unplayable.  This problem can be easily circumvented by setting it to Off in-game, but forcing V-Sync on through your video card's control suite in Windows.

Other than that, yes: it's a great game that holds up extremely well.  Think Resident Evil 4 on a spaceship, with maybe a dash of System Shock 2 with all the audio logs that fill in the backstory.

-Autistic Angel
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2011, 05:00:02 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on October 12, 2011, 08:04:05 PM

I only point this out because I'd hate for someone to try the first AC game, rightly decide that it's boring as hell, and give up on the franchise. 

That is exactly what I did after playing the first game.  I did eventually buy AC2 when it was super cheap on Steam recently, but haven't even booted it up.

So at this point you haven't played the second enough to determine if you even like IT, regardless of AC1's execution. slywink

Like I said, AC1 wasn't bad - it is not the peak of the series by any stretch, but I found that by the end of Brotherhood that I would have far more enjoyed moving away from Ezio and gaining even more bled-through skills from a different era. I also enjoyed the middle-eastern setting more than Italy. Jerusalem was far better than Venice (Ven-ee-tsee-ah), for instance.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2011, 05:43:49 PM »

Quote from: Purge on October 13, 2011, 05:00:02 PM

Quote from: EngineNo9 on October 12, 2011, 08:04:05 PM

That is exactly what I did after playing the first game.  I did eventually buy AC2 when it was super cheap on Steam recently, but haven't even booted it up.

So at this point you haven't played the second enough to determine if you even like IT, regardless of AC1's execution. slywink

This is very true.  Maybe the series is just not for me, but I don't know because I gave up after the first game. 

Most people I talk to say to not judge the series by the first game, since the others improve on the formula so much, so it seems like somebody unfamiliar with the series would just be better off skipping AC1.

Raintitan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2011, 08:24:14 PM »

I second the Fallout games. If you missed it, Bioshock was a pretty immersive and fun experience as well but then again your old rig might have been able to run it.

R
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: