http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 02:37:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What's your GOAT of the Year so far? (PC edition)  (Read 5974 times)
warning
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 30, 2004, 08:46:09 PM »

Which PC game was God-awful, Obnoxious And Terrible?  In other words, what was your GOAT of the year for 2004?  It might be the worst PC game this year.  It might just be one you had high hopes for and were dashed mercilessly to the ground.

Let er rip!
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2004, 08:50:43 PM »

I have to say Doom3, for the second reason you listed.  I had very high hopes for it and they were dashed.

I really missed one thing which not many people mention - wide open areas.    In the original Dooms I could strafe around and around the enemy but Doom 3 was almost all tight corridors where you couldn't really move around.

I could deal with the dark, with the monsters jumping out of closets - I just want open areas!

Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2004, 08:52:00 PM »

ACtually to be honest, I haven't played any bad PC games this year.

My entire year so far consists of: Call of Duty, Joint Operations, Far Cry, Doom 3, Half-Life 2, UT2k4, Rise of Nations, and then replays through older games that I already knew I liked anyway.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
bluefugue
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2004, 09:02:15 PM »

I haven't played any bad games from 2004 but only bought maybe 4-5 new games this year.  RTW, Half Life 2, Thief 3, UT2k4 -- all winners.

If older games count, well I bought Pirates of the Caribbean for $5 and it seems pretty dubious, but that was a strictly casual purchase, mainly to see the pretty water effects.
mb737
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2004, 09:18:42 PM »

World of Warcraft

Yep, you read that right.

It's Progress Quest with graphics.  It does absolutely nothing for me. frown

I've always been a big fan of Blizzard, but man did they miss my mark somehow with this one!
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2004, 09:23:15 PM »

I bought an amazing amount of pc games this year. Righty now I'm working on my year end list. Top 10, bottom 10 like usual. I'm not a 100 % but right now I'm thinking my top 3 will include Sid Meiers Pirates, Thief 3, and Far Cry and the bottom 3 will be Spiderman 2 the Movie, Half Life 2 and Rollercoaster Tycoon 3.

IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2004, 09:23:44 PM »

Doom3.  On its own, maybe not so bad, but between Far Cry, Painkiller, and especially Half Life 2, the bar has been raised.  Considerably.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2004, 09:23:54 PM »

Quote from: "mb737"
World of Warcraft

Yep, you read that right.

It's Progress Quest with graphics.  It does absolutely nothing for me. frown

I've always been a big fan of Blizzard, but man did they miss my mark somehow with this one!

Burn the heretic! smile

I'm kind of with Thin J... I can't really think of and PC games I got this year that wouldn't have been games of the year in a less prolific year.

*wipes tear from his eye* We are living in great times boys. Tongue

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2004, 09:25:24 PM »

Doom 3.  Pure suckage.

TheMissingLink on PSN
AttAdude
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2004, 09:26:57 PM »

With out a doubt WOW.

AttA
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2004, 09:34:01 PM »

Doom 3 was a big letdown for me, since I was really jazzed for it during it's production, and then ... meh. If they had just stayed true to the series, it could've been fun.

Other than that, my PC gaming has been somewhat limited, eaten up by console gaming. I've pretty much enjoyed the other PC games I've played: Rome, Vampires, HL2, Painkiller, etc.
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2004, 11:19:28 PM »

Another vote for Doom 3.
O.DOGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2004, 11:28:52 PM »

I have to say Half-Life2. Not that it was bad, it was so disappointing and so much less than what I expected.

My smile still stays on.
Louis Cypher

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2004, 11:32:26 PM »

Quote from: "O.DOGG"
I have to say Half-Life2. Not that it was bad, it was so disappointing and so much less than what I expected.
 :shock:  I feel exactly the same, except replace HL2 with Doom 3

Live Gamer Tag: Kitten0Death
PSN: CabriX
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2004, 12:00:59 AM »

See, this is why I must like Doom3 so much; I never played 1 & 2, and I never got caught up in the hype when it first came out.

But my goat for the year so far is Half-Life2, and i've never even played it!

That online-only activation is teh suck.

I am....Migaloo
Rest in Peace, Nan & Star
XBL Schins67
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2004, 12:04:34 AM »

Doom 3 would be the closest but from reading most of the previews throughout development my expectations were low.  Then the PC Gamer "masterpiece of the art form" review came out and I started to get excited.  I still had fun with it but quit halfway through and have never thought about going back to it.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2004, 12:19:31 AM »

Wow, I hope you have a wicked sort of sarcasm because if you don't, man, you need your head checked immediately.

TheMissingLink on PSN
depward

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2004, 12:24:03 AM »

Haven't played too many 2004 PC games.  Only a handful - ut2k4, Half-Life 2, and more.  But out of all the great ones the most ungreatest I've played this year was Everquest II.  Not to say its bad, because it's definately not, but the fact that it really wasn't my cup of tea along with every other game I've played this year being really great in my opinion that would have to get my vote.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
McCrank
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2004, 12:57:05 AM »

I'd have to say Doom 3, with WOW in a close 2nd...
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2004, 01:20:38 AM »

Quote from: "TheMissingLink"

Wow, I hope you have a wicked sort of sarcasm because if you don't, man, you need your head checked immediately.

This is a strange hobby, where one man's game of the year, is another man's goat of the year.
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2004, 02:30:08 AM »

Quote from: "Zekester"
But my goat for the year so far is Half-Life2, and i've never even played it!

That online-only activation is teh suck.

Yeah, HL 2 would get my vote for that reason alone.
jonsauce
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2004, 02:45:00 AM »

HL2 is my game of the year, followed by R:TW.

I don't really have a goat of the year, so I guess I'll vote Doom 3 since its the only game I payed full price for that I haven't finished yet.

Now Playing
--------------
NHL 09
NFL Head Coach 09
Red Faction Guerilla
Rockband 2
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2004, 03:11:24 AM »

i would have to say evil genius is the biggest downer for me personally.  i got to play it after a friend dropped it.  it became too much like work after a while.  

a second runner would be SW battlegrounds or bf vietnam, just from what i've heard my stepdad talking about.  too much hype and too little payout.

Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2004, 04:02:08 AM »

Doom 3 without a doubt.  It's nothing but a beautiful, too dark mess.

This signature is not personal, at all.  If you're not awake enough to realize our country is being taken down by an organized effort from a puppet chimp being controlled by a movement older than me.  Wake the freaking fack up.
Valael
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2004, 04:06:12 AM »

It's a toss up between EverQuest 2 and Doom 3.  

With all of the wonderful reviews Doom 3 had (Mainly the Pre-Release PC Gamer review), I was expecting something incredible.  And it wasn't bad, but it definitely didn't deserve anything more than an "Average" score.

EverQuest 2, on the other hand..  I played EQ for 4 years.  I lived and breathed the game.  Managed to get into beta...and I never want to touch that vile creation of a game ever again.

If I added a sig, would you read it?
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2004, 05:10:21 AM »

Everquest 2.  Utter shit.  If you didn't hate Everquest the first time, try EQ2!  You're bound to despise it.

Doom 3 is also god-awful, but that goes without mentioning.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2004, 06:20:18 AM »

The demo to Metalheart.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Ranulf
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2004, 06:27:20 AM »

Doom3. All the hype and it ended up mostly as a darkness simulator (with closet monsters trying their best to come out).

From what I've played of HL2, I'd say its not as good as it could've been but its certainly not a goat.
TradeAble
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2004, 06:42:38 AM »

Spiderman 2 PC version was the worst game this year.  At least it was short.
jessie
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2004, 09:37:07 AM »

Everquest 2, Doom 3, Lineage 2 were my stinkers of the year.

http://www.grandtheftblogger.com

XBOX Live! Gamer Tag: jessthelaw
depward

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2004, 10:26:04 AM »

Quote from: "jessie"
Everquest 2, Doom 3, Lineage 2 were my stinkers of the year.

Lineage II - two days of open beta made me realize I was going to stear clear of that title.  Good thing I tried the beta before I paid money for it!

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
danger
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2004, 12:03:19 PM »

Quote from: "TheMissingLink"

I agree with O.DOGG - HL2 simply did not blow my skirt up the way FarCry did....was a good game, but not the mind-blowing experience for me everyone else claims it has been for them.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2004, 12:33:49 PM »

WoW, absolutely abhor it.  Doom 3 - pretty graphics that you never get to see and scripted all to hell to induce scariness.  HL2 just had no chance of living up to the hype, and even without the hype I was dissapointed.
Bulletpig

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2004, 02:52:49 PM »

I haven't played HL2 or Doom3 but just can't get excited about them.  I have pirates but damn wife is making me wait til Xmas because of the kids.  Damn kids.  :evil:

My biggest let down is Star Wars Battlegrounds.  From what I had read and heard it was Battlefield play with the SW stuff.  This is far from the truth and just a very boring game.

I don't think there is a game I have played more than BF in my life.  Some of the best online playing fun and didn't have the monthly charge scam either.

Call me old but I refuse to pay $50 for a game and then have to pay a monthly fee to play.  I would be on board if they give away the game for free and then charge but to stick it in my ass twice is just rape.

Pig
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2004, 03:09:24 PM »

Doom3 is my biggest disappointment of the year, hands down. Nice graphics only go so far. The 'game' is really just a tech demo.

Everquest 2 is a close second.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2004, 03:43:41 PM »

Doom 3, Star Wars Battlefront, Spider-Man 2, Catwoman.

Any of those, really.
ChrisGwinn
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2004, 04:02:32 PM »

Deus Ex: Invisible War just didn't live up to my hopes for it.  I got Far Cry for free with my video card, and it also failed to excite me.  But I haven't played anything that I thought would be great and ended up being terrible.

Saying that HL2 is the GOAT of the year because of steam activation seems kinda like saying that Jagged Alliance 2 is an awful game because the box is really ugly.
bluefugue
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2004, 04:55:14 PM »

No, I'd say it's more significant than box art.  In the opinion of a lot of people, mandatory online registration for single player games sets a pretty crappy precedent.  And to those who had technical hurdles with Steam the first few days, well, "launch issues" affected people's estimation of games like WW2 Online, Anarchy Online, and so forth.  Now "launch issues" can affect SP games too.  Whee!
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2004, 05:01:33 PM »

Out of all the games I spent my hard earned money on this year, FFXI was the biggest lest down for me.  I want my money back! Other than that, it has been a good year for PC games.

danger said:
I agree with O.DOGG - HL2 simply did not blow my skirt up the way FarCry did....was a good game, but not the mind-blowing experience for me everyone else claims it has been for them.

I also agree with O.DOGG (and danger) regarding HL2.   It was a fantastic game, but I felt the best thing was the graphics.  The actual gameplay didn't engage me nearly as much as Far Cry did.  And I still think HL1 was a much better game than the sequel.  This is all in reference to the single player parts of the games.  Far Cry MP sucked badly.  OTOH, HL2 multi is fun, and has huge potentiial.

Glycerine

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2004, 05:33:12 PM »

Half-Life 2

Between the bullshit Steam authentication, the sub-par level design, and the "more of the same" feel, it was a HUGE letdown for me.  Nowhere near as good as the first and it didn't even come close to living up to the hype.  It couldn't even hold my interest long enough to finish it.  At least I finished Doom3...  I had high hopes for this one and it fell flat on it's face.  I still don't see why it's getting all these rave reviews.

Glycerine

Also...it's up for trade in the other forum if anyone is interested.  smile

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: