http://gamingtrend.com
December 19, 2014, 07:34:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What's your GOAT of the Year so far? (console edition)  (Read 7390 times)
vagabond
BANNED
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2004, 04:48:57 AM »

Quote from: "vagabond"
Game should be just terrible to be labelled a "goat", not just a little disappointing. I don't really play any goats because I only play games I research a bit to make sure I won't hate them. Worst game I have played this year is Baiten Kaitos. Didn't buy that one tho, just a rental. Star Ocean was probably the most disappointing that I actually bought, but it wasn't bad enough to be a "goat". Fable was only disappointing because the expectations were high and weren't even close to being met, but the game wasn't that bad. Been a good year the vast majority I have bought this year have been fun and worth the money.

I forgot about FF10-2 since that was so early in the year. But that was by far the most disappointing game I have ever played on a purely expectation, reality basis.  I am hoping FF-12 will be good tho, sometimes I am a sucker for punishment. :lol:

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2004, 05:25:19 AM »

Technically FFX-2 should fall under 2003- it was released in November of last year.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2004, 07:53:21 AM »

How can you call Halo 2 a goat?  Granted it may be dissapointing as a single player game to some people (myself included).  But for a game to be goat of the year it has to be REALLY bad.  Are you really saying that you thought Halo 2 was the worst and most disapointing console game released this year?

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2004, 11:16:38 AM »

Quote from: "denoginizer"
But for a game to be goat of the year it has to be REALLY bad.
No it doesn't:

It might be the worst console game this year. It might just be one you had high hopes for and were dashed mercilessly to the ground.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
DiamondDecision
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2004, 02:26:21 PM »

...my goat of the year is X-Men Legends.  What a super frustrating game!  I couldn't wait to get rid of that.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2004, 04:57:08 PM »

I am just saddened at the number of excellent games getting a bad rap here.  

I understand it's an opinion thread and all, but man, it seems like people are not so much expressing genuine opinions, but listing games to shock others into a response.  Maybe that's just due to the games being listed with no real reasons behind the opinion.

Anyone coming in here to see if there's a game they should avoid, please check elsewhere, too.  

Halo 2, Burnout 3, Spiderman 2 (yeah, the reviews here are awful for giving that one a positive review, especially considering that a stunning majority of review sites lauded this one as well), Full Spectrum Warrior, X-Men Legends and Fable are all exceptional games, IMO, so please take comments here with a grain of salt.

Again, I do understand that some people are genuinely expressing opinions here, and I apologize if I've listed your GOAT here when your opinion was heart-felt.  But really, this is games that are God-awful, Obnoxious And Terrible.  Not just disappointing, right?

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2004, 05:17:06 PM »

I guess that is the esscence of these types of online discussions.  There will never be a game that pleases everyone.  To some people, Halo 2 and X-Men Legends are two of the best console game released this year.  And then you have some people who say that among all of the console games released in the last 12 months, they were most disapointed by H2.  What exactlty were you expecting from it?    These types of threads are pointless.

JayG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2004, 05:48:22 PM »

Personally I thought Spiderman 2 was awful. While I can understand people being disappointed with Halo 2 and Fable, S2 was repetitive, has some of the worst cut-scenes I've ever seen, was incredibly shallow (especially for a GTA type game), had an awful interface and was far inferior to the first game.

The Consolegold review was 93%, yet on Gamerankings it averages at 84%. Personally I'd give it around 50%. It was a huge disappointment, especially because of all the glowing reviews. This was a impulse buy because of that.

I liked Fable, yet you don't see me whining because it's listed so much. On the other forum the PC version Half Life 2 is mentioned a lot.  Guess what, it's about opinions. The main reason I take all Console Gold reviews with a pinch of salt is that they rate too highly, like RPGDot. Examples Bloodrayne 2, 85%; Vampire 94% ; Bards Tale 88%; Call of Duty:Finest Hour 92%;
Valael
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2004, 08:38:56 PM »

Halo 2.  Easy.

I fell into the hype machine and *almost* bought it, but luckily my brother picked it up instead.  Played it, hated it, still pissed I spent $380 on an Xbox, the original Halo, and a second controller just because of the hype.  Hype pisses me off.

If I added a sig, would you read it?
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2004, 09:05:42 PM »

Quote from: "JayG"
The main reason I take all Console Gold reviews with a pinch of salt is that they rate too highly, like RPGDot. Examples Bloodrayne 2, 85%; Vampire 94% ; Bards Tale 88%; Call of Duty:Finest Hour 92%;

I'd like to stand up and argue my point on Bard's Tale (as it's the one listed out of those that I actually reviewed) and I thought it was fun, and more important, really funny. Sure there are plenty of stupid decisions in the game (like having to backtrack down through the towers fighting along the way) but overall I enjoyed it, and it kept me guessing.

Otherwise, I'm stumped on my genuine GOAT of the year if we're rating based on shameful excuse for a coaster. For disappointments, see earlier comments about Halo 2 and Fable. For genuine wastes of my time, try Dukes of Hazzard: Return of the General Lee, Devil May Cry 2, Robotech: Invasion, or Shellshock: Nam '67. Put those in your pipe and smoke 'em. biggrin

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2004, 09:09:12 PM »

My pick would be Sudeki.

-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2004, 10:34:19 PM »

Quote from: "Bullwinkle"
Halo 2, Burnout 3, Spiderman 2 (yeah, the reviews here are awful for giving that one a positive review, especially considering that a stunning majority of review sites lauded this one as well), Full Spectrum Warrior, X-Men Legends and Fable are all exceptional games, IMO, so please take comments here with a grain of salt.

I've presented clear reasons why I find Burnout 3 (awful racing) and Full Spectrum Warrior (a linear, boring puzzle game) to be GOATS in other threads.  This is just a collection of everyone's one-shot opinion.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 06, 2004, 02:46:15 AM »

Console:
1) Paper Mario
2) Ninja Gaiden or Halo 2
3) Burnout 3 or Riddick

PC:
1) World of Warcraft
2) Half Life 2
3) Call of Duty:United Offensive

I'm not sure if I could choose between Paper Mario or WoW - both games are some of the most fun I've ever had in a game.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2004, 03:25:23 AM »

Dimmona you about gave me a heart attack- this thread was for most disappointing games of the year.  When I saw Paper Mario 2 on there I knew something must be wrong.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 06, 2004, 05:00:54 AM »

Yeah.. I was a little weirded out by Dimmona's list too.

I was going to ask him why he bothers playing games anymore. Then I read the last sentence and it all fit together.

/me heaves sigh of relief

I don't know if I could have handled someone saying all those games are flat terrible smile

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: