http://gamingtrend.com
September 01, 2014, 12:58:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What's your GOAT of the Year so far? (console edition)  (Read 7322 times)
warning
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 30, 2004, 08:47:32 PM »

Which console game was God-awful, Obnoxious And Terrible?  In other words, what was your GOAT of the year for 2004?  It might be the worst console game this year.  It might just be one you had high hopes for and were dashed mercilessly to the ground.

Let er rip!
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2004, 08:55:27 PM »

Hands down Fable IMO

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2004, 08:57:28 PM »

Need for Speed Underground 2

I loved the first one. The second one has a terrible implementation of the "free-roaming city" interface in it and it completely ruins the game.

I don't want to drive around for 10 minutes to find a race.. I want to deck out my car and race NOW damnit.

The game completely lost it's "Just one more race" addictive quality and got boring after twenty minutes.

Garbage!

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2004, 09:03:08 PM »

GTA:SA for now. Let me think and I'll come up with something worse that left me more dissapointed...

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2004, 09:08:49 PM »

I can't think of anything that would qualify for me.  There's nothing I've played this year that  I've hated or come close to that emotion with.  

Disappointments- that's tough.  Halo 2 wasn't as good as I'd hoped but it was still pretty great so I hesitate to name it.  Riddick I didn't care for nearly as much as many others did but I expect the PC version to rectify most of my complaints with it.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2004, 10:29:26 PM »

Halo 2 and Fable are right up near the top for me. Halo was terrible and Fable was just terribly average, but when I heard about everything that was promised I could understand why people were so pissed off about it. Lessons learned - never buy another Peter Molyneaux or Bungie title. Easy enough to scratch two developers off my list, as there are plenty more out there. biggrin

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2004, 10:39:57 PM »

Quote from: "Thin_J"
Need for Speed Underground 2

I loved the first one. The second one has a terrible implementation of the "free-roaming city" interface in it and it completely ruins the game.

I don't want to drive around for 10 minutes to find a race.. I want to deck out my car and race NOW damnit.

The game completely lost it's "Just one more race" addictive quality and got boring after twenty minutes.

Garbage!

My thoughts as well.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2004, 11:00:57 PM »

So are these awards to be referred to as the GOATsies?

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
Halo 2 wasn't as good as I'd hoped but it was still pretty great so I hesitate to name it.

Ditto.  I wouldn't go so far as to give it a GOATsie as it was still a whole lot of fun.  But I wish they had put more effort in to the single-player portion.  

The racing portion of Burnout 3 comes closer to this award as I find it mostly frustrating.  Especially compared to the crash portions which are pure whole-grain titalation.
O.DOGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2004, 11:18:52 PM »

I think the only game that disappointed me this year was Psi-Ops. Not for any other reason but somehow I could not get used to the controls, they were awkward even after I played through the first half of the game (as far as I can tell, maybe it was further). Sold it and put it towards MGS3 - now THAT was a good game - possibly the best for the PS2 at this point, for me at least.

My smile still stays on.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2004, 11:49:30 PM »

Three words....

Full Spectrum Warrior. I mean, WTF?? All the things they indicated would be in the game were unlocked with a code to get an unpolished version of the game they were supposed to release. I wonder if Fable will let me enter that TURTLE code too.

<sigh>

Halo2 single-player wasn't anywhere near a GOAT for me; the fact that I played through all of it and still occasionally play it is a testament to it. The only feature missing, IMHO, ( :roll: no, not an "ending") is online/system link Co-op play. I mean, seriously. I want the full damned screen.

Riddick, although entertaining, wasn't a golden star for me that everyone was proclaiming it to be.

Tom Clancy struck out THREE times this year, as Pandora Tomorrow, Black Arrow, and GR2 are not in my collection (the first two were, and left in a hurry).

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2004, 12:02:22 AM »

Is Driv3r too obvious?

Thankfully I didn't buy any games that I am upset about.  Look before you leap!

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2004, 12:17:11 AM »

Mortal Kombat: Deceptions

Add tons of normal fatalities, stage fatalities, an 'upgraded' Konquest mode, and more content than you can shake a stick at... should be a winner right?  Not if you bork the controls and half ass most of the single player stuff.  I was so disapponited with MK:D that I bought the Midway Arcade Treasures #2 just so I could remember how good the MK games once where (MK2/3).

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
depward

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2004, 12:28:39 AM »

From what I played, NHL 2005 - the EA Sports one.  I've bought NHL games every year from that company all the way from NHL 93 (94 being my all-time favorite).  And I liked last year's edition a lot, buy wow did they really just SCREW UP video game hockey with that one.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2004, 12:34:13 AM »

-Full Spectrum Warrior
-Second Sight
-Fable
-Star Ocean 3
-Burnout 3

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Ranulf
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2004, 02:07:15 AM »

Yikes..burnout3? I loved #2 but held off getting 3, was going to wait until it was cheap used. Whats wrong with it?
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2004, 02:54:06 AM »

Quote from: "Ranulf"
Yikes..burnout3? I loved #2 but held off getting 3, was going to wait until it was cheap used. Whats wrong with it?

Not a damn thing, imo.  Best arcade racing game ever made.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2004, 03:05:08 AM »

Quote from: "Jancelot"
So are these awards to be referred to as the GOATsies?

as long as it's not spelled goatse.  Blech

so far, i would say baldur's gate 2.  i was really expecting more from it than just a glorified expansion pack.  spiderman 2 gets runners up though.  that fell flat real quick.

Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2004, 04:13:09 AM »

I am also baffled by the choice of Burnout 3.... best racing game ever.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2004, 04:15:40 AM »

Quote from: "Dimmona"

Check out this thread (the Goldeneye: Rogue Agent thread) to see why LE dislikes Burnout 3 so much.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
hammer600
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2004, 04:39:40 AM »

FABLE!! I was so hyped about this game that I have to tell you, when it finally dawned on me how limited and feeble it actually was, I was absolutely crushed.
Peter whats his name needs to shut his mouth, and hire better people.

Go Wings!
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2004, 05:26:49 AM »

Quote from: "Dimmona"

I strongly disagree. Burnout 3 is a pretty fun game, and may be the best car crashing game ever, but it's pretty darn far from the best racing game ever.  The rubberband (i.e. cheating) A.I.  makes it hard for me to call it a racing game at all.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2004, 05:56:24 AM »

This is an opinions thread; LE might not like that one but to a lot of us (myself included) it was, and still IS, forefront in "favorite driving game of 2004" biggrin Go rent the sucker.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2004, 06:38:58 AM »

Quote from: "Purge"

This is an opinions thread; LE might not like that one but to a lot of us (myself included) it was, and still IS, forefront in "favorite driving game of 2004" biggrin Go rent the sucker.
I don't care one way or the other.  You're entitled to your opinion.

I recommend renting Burnout 3.  It's a fun crashing game combined with a terrible racing game.  If the crashing is fun enough for you to the point that it makes you forget how bad the racing half is, then buy it.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Napoleon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2004, 09:21:36 AM »

Very few console games actually dissapointed me, but the one that stands out is Full Spectrum Warrior.

I had fun with it, but where I expected a fun, squad-level 3d version of Close Combat for the PC, I ended up with a puzzle game with guns.

It was kind of meh.

HELLO!
jessie
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2004, 09:34:45 AM »

i wouldn't say fable was god aweful, but it sure was a letdown.  i paid money for the game and was disappointed.

http://www.grandtheftblogger.com

XBOX Live! Gamer Tag: jessthelaw
Driver
Gaming Trend Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2004, 01:29:41 PM »

Another vote for Burnout 3.

The three loading screens you go through between crash events is lame; the online component is functional but crap, and EA's advertising itself throughout the game, vocally and visually, is ridiculous.  From what I played of the second game, I'd go with 2 over 3.
JayG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2004, 01:53:14 PM »

LOTR: The third age. Pretty dull Final Fantasy rip-off, and considering how few RPGs the XBox has, was a missed opportunity.

Strong follow up; Sudaki.
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2004, 03:58:35 PM »

Fable
Driv3r.
Fallout Brotherhood of Steel
Mafia
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles
MVP Baseball 2004
Seven Samurai 20XX
Siren.
Van Helsing
Showdown: Legends of Wrestling
Smackdown Vs. Raw
Way of the Samurai 2
X-Men Legends.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2004, 04:08:26 PM »

MVP Baseball 2004

Forgot about that one!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
ChrisGwinn
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2004, 04:08:58 PM »

Oh, I forgot about the PS2 port of Mafia.  I hear that was just god-awful, compared to the PC one.
AttAdude
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2004, 05:04:36 PM »

thats easy.  Halo2.  Biggest let down of the year for me.  Fable was horrid as well.

AttA
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2004, 05:19:05 PM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"

I recommend renting Burnout 3.  It's a fun crashing game combined with a terrible racing game.

Close enough to how I feel although I wouldn't call the racing terrible as much as frustrating.  I can't tell you how many races I've lost because the rubber-band AI whips past me in the last few seconds.  But if you get taken out you might as well start over 'cause there's no chance of catching the leader at that point.  The difficulty ramps up very quickly and nothing short of a perfect race each time will net a gold.  That and it's difficult to make out the cars in the downtown tracks because all the colors blend together.  The crash portion, however, is top notch fun.
Shifter
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2004, 06:43:06 PM »

Spider-Man 2

Not a terrible game but definately dissapointing.  Loved the GTA style of play but the missions were repetitive, the camera and controls sluggish and the whole game just felt incomplete.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2004, 07:11:39 PM »

FABLE

Oh my god how I wanted to love that game...so very sad.  frown

Those damn liars at Lionhead Studio!  :evil:

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
JayG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2004, 07:12:07 PM »

Quote from: "Shifter"
Spider-Man 2

Not a terrible game but definately dissapointing.  Loved the GTA style of play but the missions were repetitive, the camera and controls sluggish and the whole game just felt incomplete.

Good call. Forgot about that one. Probably would have been my choice as well, especially after the glowing review it recieved here. Made me realise that while the Console Gold forum is pretty good, the reviews are pretty *insert suitable *.
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2004, 07:45:18 PM »

Sounds like everyone is doing one that they had high hopes for. The actual worst game I played this year was probably.... You know, I dont think I played any horrid games this year.

Biggest let down though? That would have to go to FF: Crystal Chronicles. What a let down that was. I was so dissapointed. Even the multiplayer parts. Blah.
AttAdude
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2004, 10:07:50 PM »

CAn i change my vote to teh urbz?  

i loved The Sims2 and decided if they made that then the urbz deserved a try.   i was wrong.... so very very wrong.

AttA
vagabond
BANNED
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2004, 05:34:01 AM »

Game should be just terrible to be labelled a "goat", not just a little disappointing. I don't really play any goats because I only play games I research a bit to make sure I won't hate them. Worst game I have played this year is Baiten Kaitos. Didn't buy that one tho, just a rental. Star Ocean was probably the most disappointing that I actually bought, but it wasn't bad enough to be a "goat". Fable was only disappointing because the expectations were high and weren't even close to being met, but the game wasn't that bad. Been a good year the vast majority I have bought this year have been fun and worth the money.

AttAdude
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2004, 05:48:45 PM »

Quote from: "vagabond"
Game should be just terrible to be labelled a "goat", not just a little disappointing. I don't really play any goats because I only play games I research a bit to make sure I won't hate them. Worst game I have played this year is Baiten Kaitos. Didn't buy that one tho, just a rental. Star Ocean was probably the most disappointing that I actually bought, but it wasn't bad enough to be a "goat". Fable was only disappointing because the expectations were high and weren't even close to being met, but the game wasn't that bad. Been a good year the vast majority I have bought this year have been fun and worth the money.

/agree.  like i said anyway The Urbz. it may well be one of the worst games ever made, and im totaly counting custards revenge.

AttA
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2004, 07:21:20 PM »

HALO 2

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: