http://gamingtrend.com
April 21, 2014, 04:35:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What's your Game of the Year for 2005?  (Read 2366 times)
warning
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 23, 2005, 02:30:13 PM »

What's your Game of the Year for 2005? PC or console.

In spite of my DS love in 2005 my game of the year is Dragon Quest VIII.  I'm about 12 hours in and so far am having more fun and am more addicted than any other game I played the rest of the year.

Runners up: Mario Kart DS, Animal Crossing DS, Phoenix Wright.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2005, 02:46:28 PM »

Guitar Hero

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2005, 02:50:50 PM »

My pick would be Shadow of the Colossus. I've played rather little this year, so this game really stood out.
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2005, 02:51:28 PM »

No contest whatsoever:

ADVENT RISING - Xbox

biggrin

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
weleavefossils
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2005, 03:25:51 PM »

I'm going to have to second Shadow of the Colossus.  That game really left a impression on me (not only to run out and get ICO the next day, and beat it in 2 days) but every giant like creature I see on tv or other games, I try to figure out how to climb up them in my head.

Wii 5882-3358-1683-0643
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2005, 03:32:48 PM »

I 2nd Guitar Hero.  

The most fun I have ever had with a video game.

Rock on!

Scott

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2005, 03:41:48 PM »

Civ IV

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2005, 03:44:55 PM »

Guitar Hero.

I can say with a certainty that in all my years of gaming, I've never had this much fun with a game.  Sure, there have been more involving, more emotional, and technically 'better' games, but nothing comes close to Guitar Hero in sheer fun factor.    Absolute brilliance.

Runners up:

-  Dragon Quest VIII
-  Meteos
-  Civ IV (I know it's PC, but it deserves a mention)

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2005, 04:14:53 PM »

Resident Evil 4.  Best game of this entire console generation.

That said, God of War and Shadow of the Colossus both gave it a run for its money....

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2005, 05:19:37 PM »

Their were quite a few good games this year.

My pick is CIV IV.

BUT, a really close second for Mercenaries by LucasArts. It's one of the those fun games that you play effortlessly and feel like you accomplish things in little session.

The Gone Gold Effect has a strong influence on the weak minded ...
GamerTag: Scoop20906
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2005, 05:25:08 PM »

Shadow of the Colossus, easily, heads and shoulders above the rest.  It's a generation-defining experience that should be experienced by any gamer.

Ossu! Tatake! Ouendan and God of War round out the top 3.  What a great year for gaming, not only games in 2005, for me anyway.  What a year.

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
addybojangles on GameCenter
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2005, 05:34:57 PM »

Battlefield 2.

Im still playing this damn thing.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2005, 05:37:23 PM »

I'll give props to Forza Motorsports, still playing a lot of this game. That damn Mario Kart DS is pretty awesome also.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
Reed
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2005, 05:39:09 PM »

It's a tough call, but I'd give it to either Resident Evil 4 or God of War, with Shadow of the Colossus as the runner up.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2005, 05:43:08 PM »

Digital Devil Saga 2.  I know I'm probably in the minority with that choice, but the first game hooked me so bad I played it through several times.  After that, the second game continued the interesting story with new dungeon schemes (the Jailor!) and with the last 4 hours or so just blowing me away.  The first DDS was just an introduction - DDS2 really fleshes out the story and surprises you with every twist.

Other honorable mentions are Animal Crossing DS, Ouendan, and Mario Kart DS.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Cleric7

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2005, 05:50:55 PM »

I played Hot Shots Golf (PSP) all summer long and had an absolute blast! I would have to give it the nod, although it was a very, very good year (best ever?) for games. Close runner-ups would include:

Guitar Hero -- if I were further along (it came out late in Canada) it might be my GOTY

Ouendan -- a wonderfully implemented music game for the DS

Dungeon Siege 2 -- I enjoyed this a lot more than I thought I would. Very nicely crafted!

Visual Pinball -- In many ways this should be my game of the year. Discovered it in the Spring and was incredibly impressed with the tables that had been made. Since then I've accumulated over 600 tables and I love them all!! One of the best programs I have ever encountered on any system. (If only they made installation and running of it more streamlined... frown )

"All that is necessary for evil to flourish is for good people to do nothing."
Torfish
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2005, 05:52:41 PM »

Console - Resident Evil 4

Handheld - Mario Kart DS

PC - CIV 4
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2005, 06:20:12 PM »

PS2=God of War
PC=Civ IV
PSP=Hot Shots Golf
Xbox=Burnout Revenge
Xbox 360=Kameo
Gamecube=Resident Evil 4
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2005, 06:24:31 PM »

Dragon Quest VIII very closely followed by God of War.  

Digital Devil Saga 2. I know I'm probably in the minority with that choice,

Heh, I think my New Years resolution this year is to put some time into those games.  I logged about four hours into DDS1, liked what I saw, but was too embroiled in a few other games at the time to give it the attention it demanded.
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2005, 06:28:26 PM »

Yeah, Dragon Quest VIII is seriously phenomenal. But, since I'm only about 8-10 hours in, I feel it's premature to bestow GOTY status upon it.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2005, 06:28:41 PM »

I'm leaning heavily towards Dragon Quest VIII, but I don't think it's fair to judge the game until I finish it.  smile

Runners-up currently are Civilization IV and Advance Wars DS.  A few others I'm really loving, but for real Game of the Year status, those are my three for now!

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
warning

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2005, 06:51:27 PM »

Quote from: "rrmorton"
Yeah, Dragon Quest VIII is seriously phenomenal. But, since I'm only about 8-10 hours in, I feel it's premature to bestow GOTY status upon it.

Even at 12 hours in I've had more fun with it than with any other game this year.
Dramatist
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2005, 07:06:20 PM »

Game for me was Civ IV, even though I'm not very good at it.

I also had loads of fun with Fate for the PC.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2005, 08:14:21 PM »

Quote from: "Farscry_Redux"
I'm leaning heavily towards Dragon Quest VIII, but I don't think it's fair to judge the game until I finish it.  smile

I'd vote DQ8, but I feel like finishing the game before it gets GOTY, too.  I'm at 40 hours right now and I think I'm only halfway.

The next in line would be Guitar Hero.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2005, 08:26:23 PM »

Quote from: "Nth Power"
Quote from: "Farscry_Redux"

I'd vote DQ8, but I feel like finishing the game before it gets GOTY, too.  I'm at 40 hours right now and I think I'm only halfway.

I'm at about 40 hours in too, and yeah, having more fun with it than any other game I've played, though my runners-up come close.  slywink

I'd rank RE4 up there, but that was one of last year's top games on the Cube.  I don't really count this year's PS2 release as a 2005 game.  smile

Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2005, 08:27:44 PM »

RE 4 on the GC is a 2005 game. It was released in January.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2005, 08:29:20 PM »

Quote from: "Andrew Mallon"
RE 4 on the GC is a 2005 game. It was released in January.

:shock: Ok, I feel stupid now!  I can't believe I got the release date that mixed up.  It's been a long year!

Ok, well then, RE4 goes on my list of GOTY contenders!  Geez... really tough call for me between that and DQ8.

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2005, 09:06:15 PM »

shadow of the colossus (for me, nothing else comes close)...

runner-up: animal crossing, a just about perfect marriage of hardware & software...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
adamsappel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2005, 09:51:01 PM »

Resident Evil 4 - GameCube

Xbox Live Gamertag: adamsappel
Temjin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2005, 10:09:00 PM »

PC: Freedom Force vs The 3rd Reich
Consoles:  Shadow of the Colossus

Runners-up:

Guitar Hero
Psychonauts
Resident Evil 4 - points deducted for ridiculous midget "Napoleon Blownaparte"
Trauma Center: Under the Knife
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
Advance Wars: Dual Strike
Civ IV
Guild Wars

Now Playing
Wii:  Zelda: TP
Qbe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2005, 12:34:01 AM »

Dragon Quest VIII is the best console game I've ever played.

Now playing: Suikoden 2 [PSX], Neverwinter Nights 2 [PC]
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2005, 03:11:01 AM »

I'm not disagreeing with anyone - I seem to have missed most of your voted for games.  DQ8 I never learned enough about (*fearing possible turn-based, makes protective gesture*);  I thought God of War would be too hard for me, having suffered enough "thumb-itis" from Ratchet: Deadlocked;  I don't play PC games; still waiting to borrow - and have time for - RE4; will play Shadow of the Col. "someday"; I cannot play sports games at all, so forget those, lol.

After all that, I have to say that MediEvil Resurrection (PSP) is absolutely it on a handheld - incredibly innovative, fun, with perfect representations of the characters, and hysterical cut-scenes.  Doom 3 is it for console, it made me jump so much I didn't need exercise.  Probably I enjoyed both of them as much as I did because I didn't have any prior experience with their previous iterations.  

See my next new thread for the memory-impaired...  Tongue

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2005, 04:13:39 PM »

**This is a repost from My's thread**

Wow, I am uncertain that I can only choose one game this year given the wonderful pickings we've had this year. So, instead of trying to choose just one I'll just list what I enjoyed and leave it at that.

Project Gotham Racing 3: My total playing time in PGR3 is greater than the time I"ve spent playing Dragon Quest 8 (22 hours). Put plainly, the game is addictive, exciting, and has no challenger when it comes to online fun. The depth and detail PGR3 offers is just staggering. The cars are beautifully rendered, the sound is excellent, and the tracks are exciting (there is no shortage of tracks since you can create your own routes and race on them online). This is what a launch title should be, it is a good representation of what the Xbox 360 can do, and as the months go by we can expect to see great things out of the newest player in the console market.

Condemned: I think that Condemned is one of the best launch titles for the Xbox 360. Excellent use of sound(the best for the X360 to date), the graphics are outstanding, the story is excellent and everything meshes together to create an incredible mystery story. The use of lighting in Condemned rivals anything I've seen this year, including HL2, Quake 4, FEAR, and Call of Duty. All great games, but Condemned uses light in such a way that you feel like you're a part the environment and story and not a game. Condemned also is horror/mystery done right. The only other horror game that I could compare Condemned with is FEAR, and Condemned definitely blows FEAR out of the water. Rent, buy, trade for, but play Condemned; It is not a long game, but it is a fun one and I think you'll be impressed.

Dragon Quest 8: DQ8 is the WoW of Console RPG's. Polished like your grandma's finest silver, DQ8 delivers console rpg goodness in spades. You want a first class story backed up with a cast that is interesting and has depth? Want an RPG that features an antagonist that is not gender confused? Then pick-up Dragon Quest 8, pop it in your PS2, and for the love of god play the finest console RPG we've had in the last couple of years.

God of War: ROAR! Holy god, I mean gods... err, godess. Whatever the hell you believe in, holy yikes. Sequel please.

Half-Life 2: I'm tired of typing crap, but yeah, it was worth the delay and I can't wait for the expansion. Put a lot of exclamations and praise here. (....
.......... .......... ............ ....)

Call of Duty 2: OMG WTF MY LEGS ARE GONE! (Roller Coaster Ride but one with a few rails missing - wonky save system - annoying breathing noise when you're injured.)

Quake 4:  That was just not right what they did to your main character. I'll never forget that moment, ever. EVER. Quake 4 is much better than DOOM 3, and is worthy of anyone's collection if they're into FPS games.

Civilization 4: Classic, timeless, like a diamond, this game will keep on giving.

Xbox Live/Arcade: This is it, the future of gaming as we know it. Microsoft is creating a service that I think is the best thing since the Nintendo Entertainment System. Quite literally the best idea in ages and will breath new life in the home entertainment sector. For the Xbox360 all games will feature achievements that you can unlock and add to your gamerscore, this idea alone makes you game in an entirely different way. Those of us with a "gotta-catch-em-all" mentality will quite literally go ga-ga over trying to achieve everything a game has to offer in order to increase our gamerscore.

There is ofcourse the Xbox Live Arcade and the Marketplace; two features that make the X360 worth owning (not to mention the media PC and the ability to stream music from your mp3 player of choice). Having played a few Xbox Live Arcade games I can safely say that yes, this is worth the money and time I spent to get my system. Smash TV amazingly holds up well in the gameplay department, and the ability to play that co-op through Xbox live is a major plus. Zuma? Bejewled 2? Geometry Wars 2? Holy smash mouth, and each game you play can unlock more achievements!

Throw in some party poker gaming goodness and I don't think I'll ever leave my entertainment room except for work/sex/food.

I know that it is not a game, but the Live service from Microsoft features games, music, music videos, movie and game trailers, game demos, themes, gamer portraits, achievement tracking, and much more including the media pc features, that gets my vote for game/feature/widget of the year. The live service adds so much depth to games that it is worthy of a vote.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2005, 07:07:33 PM »

Overall, Civ4.

However, the consoles had a MUCH stronger year than PCs.  Except maybe the XBox, that thing still sucks.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Pi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2005, 07:34:57 PM »

Amazingly enough, this was the year of the PS2 for me, even though I own several gaming systems.  I've had the system since launch, and this was probably the best year with it.  My finalists:

God of War  The game that had me seriously playing on the PS2 after a year hiatus.  I am not usually excited about playing a game with lots of blood spray, but this was an exception.  I would play it late at night, so my son wouldn't watch.

Shadow of the Colossus  Game as art and epic battles.  I would play at night so I could play in the dark, and my son sometimes watched.

Dragon Quest VIII  Although I haven't finished it, it is simply one of the best console RPGs I've played.  30+ hours in and I still want to keep playing.  I play this at all times, since my son loves to watch it, especially the monster arena battles.  He also likes it when I kiss the monsters.

Since it's a three way tie, I'll have my son cast the deciding vote.  Not surprisingly, the winner is Dragon Quest VIII.

Honorable Mention  The Nintendo DS had a great year.  I was not convinced of the system, but then Kirby and Meteos came out.  Followed up by Castlevania, Mario Kart, and Phoenix Wright.  I'm not including Advance Wars and Animal Crossing, since they are currently at the top of my Christmas list.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: December 25, 2005, 01:55:47 PM »

As for my personal list (biased only based on what I've played):

PS2: Tie: Dragon Quest VIII and Shadow of the Colossus. One is the absolute best RPG to have graced the consoles in years (Final Fantasy who?) while the other is a game that's not only an artform to watch, but an artform to play as you kill things 20 to 30 times your size. If you're remotely interested in their respective genres, buy these games NOW.

Xbox: Oddly enough, I didn't really play anything that was warrented 'Game of the Year' status. The closest thing I could name is Ninja Gaiden Black, but that technically wasn't released this year (as it's just an 'upgrade' of the game released back in March of '04). Still a great game though.

Gamecube: Resident Evil 4. If you own a Gamecube and you haven't played this game, shame on you. That's all I have to say. It's really sad though that the GotY was released in January, IMHO.

DS: Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow. This game is so close to the perfection that Konami used to do with titles like Symphony of the Night on the PS1 that it makes me wonder why they continually attempt to make 3D games when it's clear that 2D is where it's at with this series.

GBA: Final Fantasy IV Advance. Take a fantastic old-school RPG, give it a slight graphical remake, tack on an extra dungeon or three, give us the more difficult 'hard type' version, and make it portable, and you have one of the best RPGs for on the go gaming. No CGI, no FMV, no voice acting. And you know what? I'm happy, as RPGs don't need all of that to be successful.

360: Project Gotham Racing 3. Take a racing title, add in your own soundtracks (along with a load of ones you'll love to listen to anyway), mix in a lot of fantastic online gaming (with the ability to watch the best people in the world play from the comfort of your own couch), and make it look and play like an semi-realistic arcade racer should, and you have this gem. If you remotely like racing, you need to get this game.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: