http://gamingtrend.com
December 18, 2014, 09:49:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What's with so many games having "paper sleeves" a  (Read 1487 times)
corruptrelic
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 22, 2004, 09:31:15 PM »

Even some of the more expensive games (Unreal Tournament 2003 being one of them I think) are coming with these paper sleeves instead of the plastic cases. Many on a budget game you pay $4.99 for but on games costing $29.99+ they should at least give us a decent cd case to protect our games with.
I'd have to go look at my games to see which ones have sleeves but it's a lot of them, some of them I would have never imagined.

Not only paper sleeves to save money but a lot of the manuals are starting to come in PDF format. So these days you might get a new game and all that's in the box is a paper sleeve with a cd in it.

Just ranting..  :?  Got Permiter today (originally priced at $39.99) at EBGames and it's another game with a paper sleeve. At least it came with a manual though.
Riot Police was my last game, paper sleeve also. I end up having to use my own cd cases to keep them in better condition.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2004, 09:45:33 PM »

Even Microsoft games have the paper sleeves on them. Almost always I replace them with my own jeweled cases.
I wonder how we'd all feel about the new slimline cases?

Ye Olde Farte
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2004, 09:48:18 PM »

it's a sad day when i look at a game with a proper case and manual as a "bonus"  vampire was one of the last few i had that came this way.  

if they drop the price a bit i don't mind.  all i got with riddick was the 5 discs/sleeves and no manual at all, but i got that for $25.  much more acceptable when its like that.

karapcik
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2004, 11:13:58 PM »

Awww hell, just go to DVD style boxes and everyone will be happier.

Games will be protected, you won't need a paper box, and you will have enough room for a light manual (as most come today given the ultimate rip off strategy guides).

Even better - more DVD games. Then we won't need 5+ cds for installs.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2004, 12:55:04 AM »

DVD cases (with a small manual) would be perfect, IMO. I love the way Unreal Tournament 2004 (Editor's edition DVD) came.
I bought UT2004 twice, once as the cd edition because the DVD edition sold out everywhere when it first came out (back when it had the free headset) and I think it had something like 6 cd's.. cd 1.. "please insert cd 2", cd 2.. on and on. I hate that.

Now with the dvd edition, you just put one dvd in, and it installs the entire game without any cd switching.
I too wish all games were like that.
Unfortunately though too many people still can't sacrifice $15 on a dvd player for their computer.
Hopefully more games will ship like UT2004 and the Sims 2 - giving us the option between too many cd's or just 1 dvd. (Or the extra bonus material like the dvd edition has in ut2004.)

In the end though even the cheap thin cd cases would be better than these worthless paper sleeves. Half the time you have to put your finger prints on the cd just to get it out.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2004, 12:59:54 AM »

cost and size..both are kept small with paper sleeves. And Im a fan of the old big boxes filled with goodies..but since I dont ever see them coming back unless I start my own company then I say move on to DVD games in DVD boxes.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
ChrisGwinn
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2004, 04:38:26 AM »

World of Warcraft actually came in fairly nice packaging.  They're paper sleeves, but it's more of a cardstock, and there's a small open-ended box that holds them all together.  They also have great art on them.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2004, 06:11:12 AM »

while i'm definitely a supporter of cd cases over sleeves (even slim cases are good), i don't like the idea of a complete switch over to DVD cases.  as it stands right now, there are a few games that still give you a decent manual or a few other extras in the box.  once every company switches over to DVD-style cases, i think we'd have to officially say goodbye to any kind of significant printed manual.  i'd be perfectly happy with the current small boxes as long as we start getting some kind of case for the CD/DVD inside.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2004, 01:27:04 PM »

Those $.05 cases are too expensive.
zinckiwi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2004, 06:19:47 PM »

In New Zealand I'd say about 40% of our games come in DVD cases (double-thickness, they're the same size as the "new" small game boxes, which they still come in for retail display purposes). It's great. The manuals need not suffer either.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2004, 06:54:41 PM »

Quote from: "zinckiwi"
In New Zealand I'd say about 40% of our games come in DVD cases (double-thickness, they're the same size as the "new" small game boxes, which they still come in for retail display purposes). It's great. The manuals need not suffer either.

exactly.  i can think of a few games that did this over here

thief 3
commandos 3
legacy of kain: defiance
PoP: warrior within

the manuals haven't been huge with these games, but they didn't need huge ones to begin with.  there was certainly more room than they used though.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2004, 08:57:31 PM »

Quote from: "Beer Goggles"
Those $.05 cases are too expensive.

And that's the whole problem.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: