http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 11:04:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What's the verdict on Planetside?  (Read 2864 times)
depward
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 21, 2006, 09:47:10 AM »

Saw the front page news on how this baby is going free around February 14th or so.  I dunno, I've always heard of Planetside but never really looked into it.  Looked up some info on it and it looks kinda cool.

Anyone have experience with it?  How does it play?  Is it fun?  Would you give it a try for free?

GT Planetside clan if the interest is there perhaps?!

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2006, 09:58:35 AM »

It was a lot of fun - if you have a team (and emphasis on TEAM) that works together you can absolutely dominate the smacktards who run around and snatch vehicles.  I am a great support pilot / sniper, but don't expect me on the front lines.  That is somebody elses job. smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2006, 10:14:31 AM »

I'd definitely play it for free, even with the advertisements (now also with sound).

Planetside was fun back when I played it, but not worth a monthly fee in my mind.
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2006, 03:46:57 PM »

Something else to bear in mind was their system of hit detection.   In your standard FPS game, the client looks at a target and squeezes the trigger.  It sends a message to the server who determines if the shot hits and sends the feedback to the other clients.

In Planetside, the hit detection is all on the client side.  If you can see someone when you pull the trigger, and they're within range of your weapon, then your client determines whether or not the hit occurs and tells the server you hit.  The server then reports the hit to the other clients around you.

Why is this annoying?   This means that if someone else is lagging and their client hasn't reported you've run under cover, they can still kill you.  Some other unusual situations can occur as well.  It can be very frustrating and makes it harder for the player to pop inand out of cover effectively.  To me, the system rewards players that are offensive.   I found it frustrating because I would keep dying several seconds after I had escaped from someone.  It really reduced my incentive to escape and forced  me to fight out unreasonable battles.

Now, with that out of the way,  there is nothing cooler than being in a huge firefight for a single base.  I was in a 30 man assault in several Galaxy drop craft.  (this is before the BFRs were introduced)  It totally rocked to see 30 men (including the MAX armor units) drop in on various parts of a base and take it down. The regular players really put the tactics into things.  It is a great concept, but the client side hit detection made difficult.

BFR (giant robot units) really made the game hard.  I purchased the game at Aftershock, and at the time, they had not balanced out the BFR units.  The game had become Mechwarrior with infantry that had to capture bases.  It had been an infantry game with supporting vehicles up to that point.  It's a big change.   I guess I could go on bashing the game, but I did like it.  I still consider re-upping my account periodically because I had fun playing.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2006, 04:46:19 PM »

I didn't like the idea of "mechs" being in planetside.  They just don't fit in with all the other vehicle designs to me, especially considering planetside is more an infantry with combined arms support than giant robots stomping around.

Not to mention giant robots are just big targets

I'm wondering if they ever made it so that tanks receive an armor bonus from hits to their front?

I used to play as a tanker towards the end of my trial period and one thing I hated was how easy it was to damage tanks, and even worse, everyone was toting some form of anti vehicle weaponry.

That said, one of my favorite moments in the game was finally hooking up with a large coordinated battlegroup made up of all experienced tankers.  We must have had 15 or so fully crewed Predator tanks steamrolling the enemy bases.  Predators have three two crewed guns, one anti-infantry chaingun manned by one person, a two gun main turret, and the driver.  Both turrets could aim independantly, and at least one of the crew had repair skills on them.

So, we would roll into a base, take the outer area and knock out the defenses so the infantry could go in below.  Then we'd pull back, repair, rearm, and blitz the next base.

Of course, these moments are few and far between, you really need to get a large group of friends, or at least people you know who are organized to pull off something like this.

My second favorite moment was in one of the Terran vehicles, some sort of attack truck.  Medium speed, medium armament, an okay vehicle to support an attack with, but nothing frontline.  It was armed with a chaingun on top and a mortar launcher in the back.  Well the base we were attacking had massive air support and our own flyboys weren't online.  Thankfully, the front was along a swamp, with thick tree coverage, making it difficult for aircraft to strafe effectively.

My friends and I were driving along the road, towards the base when we see a fighter launching rockets at us.  The driver floors it and heads offroad into the swamps as rockets narrowly miss.  The chaingunner is firing back as we go into the treeline.  Then the damn aircraft follows us into the trees, still shooting at us with both rockets and its machinegun.  We're weaving inbetween trees as the fighter narrowly avoids them, yet still on our tail.  We reach the main battle lines and the damn fighter is still with us, then finally an AA missile streaks out and blows the fighter up.  Unfortunately, two enemy MAX suits have us in their sights and we're blown up as well.
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2006, 06:49:49 PM »

I always liked the idea of this game but I have never really even looked at videos of it.  I'll probably give it a try when it becoms free.

Hapfloyde
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2006, 06:56:29 PM »

I played it quite a bit during the open beta.  It is a very fun game if you can find well organized friends and have the bandwidth to avoid lag.

Ha, ha, ha. You have struck Hercules!
unbreakable
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2006, 01:49:26 PM »

If all the hit detection is done client-side, what prevents people from cheating?  Seems like that's an aim-botter's dream.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2006, 08:33:21 PM »

I will play with you guys when it goes free fo sho.
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2006, 06:42:34 PM »

I wonder if they have adjusted planetary population levels?  It was annoying to get in a huge raid, and then find out that only part of your group could get on the continent.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
unbreakable
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2006, 03:17:37 AM »

I may as well give it a try, if for no other reason than I purchased the game at the store and was never able to get it working
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2006, 05:31:58 PM »

Well, on a whim I reinstalled and logged in last night.  Found out that my account has been reactivated for free for 30 days (yay).  I set up my certifications again to make me a Combat Engineer/Hacker/Transporter.  Found a squad pretty quick, and we headed off to take some towers.  We did pretty good for three towers, until we hit the front lines.  Then we switched to defensive mode and held this one tower on Ishundar for about half an hour against air attacks.

All in all, it was a good reminder why I liked the game.  It is fun on a planetary scale.  I'm still not terribly fond of the hit detection, but I like the way the game looks and the style of play.  Also, I don't know why, but there were only a few BFRs out.  I don't know if they limited them (only so many per continent) or what.  I got to be a gunner in a Colossus for about half an hour, and we kicked much tail...but it only took two or three coordinated bombers or tanks to send us running for repairs.  

I can't say it was in there before, but apparantly, if an area takes enough damage, the weapon or other equipment the BFR is carrying is damaged (kinda like a critical hit in Battletech).  Some balance seems to have been achieved.

All in all, I played for a little over an hour last night, and it was fun.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Vinda-Lou

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2006, 10:49:00 PM »

A local BB has three versions of Planetside on sale:
-the original plain one
-Core Combat, I think is an expansion to the original
-Aftershock, don't know what this one is all about.  Another expansion?

I might pick this up, but is the expansion needed or worthwhile?  And <Seinfeld voice> what's the deal with Aftershock?</Seinfeld voice>

Nevermind, Aftershock is the expansion and original bundled with a 60 page manual.
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2006, 10:56:24 PM »

Aftershock is all three.  It includes base, Core Combat, and Aftershock. smile

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2006, 11:07:39 PM »

Core combat included the caves expansion, which no one really bought or played.

I'm not sure what aftershock included, I think it added the mechs, but that may have been afterwards.
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2006, 05:28:32 AM »

News on SOE’s upcoming PlanetSide promotion has recently come to light, but we would like to offer some additional details to the promotion information. We would like to offer you and your readers some clarification, and we hope that you can help us by updating your initial posting.

New players will be able to download the PlanetSide “Cannon Fodder” demo and will be able to play for free through Battle Rank 6. Once they complete BR 6, they will be able to continue to play the game, but will not progress to Battle Rank 7, On exit from the game, they will be taken to a website that will allow them to upgrade to a monthly subscription, which includes the base game, the expansion pack (Core Combat) and the Battle Frame Robotics (BFRs), the giant robot units. Depending on skill, it can take a player up to 30 days to complete BR 6, which will give them plenty of time to see many of the cool aspects of the game. Additionally, players can continue on in the game at Battle Rank 6 for the entire 12 month promotion period.

This program is still in the works, and we have not locked down an official launch date as of yet, but is something that we hope to have live in the next few months. As soon as the program goes live, we will send you a link to the website where new recruits will be able to sign up for the Cannon Fodder program.

From the Planetside msgboards

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
depward

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2006, 06:08:01 AM »

I'm really interested in this game.  Stinks how they're planning on making it live "in the next several months."  I don't know if I can wait that long!

Downloaded the trailer at Gametrailers and it looks pretty fun.  I'm wondering if it really is like that in-game though - some of those firefights seemed intense and with a whole lot of people.  Are there still a lot of people playing?

crumsteel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2006, 02:19:53 PM »

I don't think I can wait for the fodder version and will be installing planetside tonight. I am thinking about the Emerald server with Vanu.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2006, 02:52:56 PM »

Quote from: "depward"
I'm really interested in this game.  Stinks how they're planning on making it live "in the next several months."  I don't know if I can wait that long!

Downloaded the trailer at Gametrailers and it looks pretty fun.  I'm wondering if it really is like that in-game though - some of those firefights seemed intense and with a whole lot of people.  Are there still a lot of people playing?

Probably not if they are having to give the game away free to get people to play .

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2006, 03:16:13 PM »

Quote from: "Daehawk"
Quote from: "depward"

Probably not if they are having to give the game away free to get people to play .

I play after 9:00pm CST on Emerald.  There are usually enough people on to have the huge firefights on two continents.  It's pretty fun.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2006, 03:37:43 PM »

Also,  see here for more information:

http://www.gamingtrend.com/News/news.php?NewsID=4761

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
crumsteel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2006, 03:44:58 AM »

I am now back to playing PS. Who else is playing?
I have 2 characters, 1 NC and 1 Vanu on emerald.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2006, 06:10:46 AM »

I'm reeeeeaaally thinking about it.

Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2006, 02:44:41 PM »

I'm playing.  TR on Emerald.  I might be convinced to create another character.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
DCW
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2006, 03:29:22 PM »

I played PS when it first came out. I'm not much good at FPS/twitch gaming, but I like 'em anyway. I found the premise intriguing.

It's been said, but to reiterate, this game really shines when you're part of a team that works well together. Some of the most memorable, intense online gaming I've ever had was with Planetside. For a free trial, give it a shot.
crumsteel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2006, 03:29:53 AM »

Quote from: "Dreamshadow"
I'm playing.  TR on Emerald.  I might be convinced to create another character.

I started a character on Emerald for TR (name: nekim), hopefully we get to play on the same squad soon. If others start playing I have no problem switching.

This game is a lot different from what I remember. There is now jumping from planet to planet instead of continent to continent, not sure what is going on there yet. The battles were just as big and I was getting killed a lot. Need to figure out the controls again and remember how to change what type of rounds I am shooting in my weapon.

The game is a hell of a lot of fun in big battles just as I remember.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2006, 10:35:56 PM »

I caved in, had credit at the gamestore, and just decided to purchase it.  So I'll be creating a character on Emerald on the TR side for the heck of it.

Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2006, 10:57:05 PM »

i'm considering using some credit i have myself and pick this up.  i'll holler if i do smile

Atragon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2006, 01:16:20 AM »

I'll get in on this once it goes free. When I participated in beta it was good, but not worth spending cash on in my opinion... perhaps I'll be pleasently suprised.

"We do what we must because we can."
X-Box Live: TragicNut
depward

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2006, 03:40:30 AM »

Well I have a BR 3 now, woot, halfway to 4.  Though, I've heard about the training missions being sort of buggy.  I've tried the vehicle training mission now three times and it won't "trigger" when I'm at the VR facility.  Ah well though.

So far it's pretty slick!  Enjoying myself.  Seems like lots of customization, which is good.  Graphics are pretty neat.  I went into some fights, lost quickly, but I really have a bit of learning to do.

So my character name is depward and I'm on the TR side on the Emerald server.

SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2006, 05:06:57 AM »

A few of us Bovines are starting up on Emerald. Terran Republic or whatever.

I have a question though.  Can you make your guy look "unique"?  Like armor n' shit?

Just Hiro will do.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2006, 08:04:17 AM »

I think at certain BR levels your armor will actually look a little different, however it's been a while since I've played.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2006, 08:25:27 AM »

Isn't PS supposed to be going free-with-restrictions soon?

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
depward

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2006, 10:21:55 AM »

Played for about three hours tonight after playing some earlier in the day - had some pretty spectacular firefights!  I dropped off near some base all alone . . . and then all of a sudden I look over this hill and all of these tanks/hovercraft/buggys come screaming over and coming at me.  Well, I guess they were planning a massive raid on the base nearby, which then I was happy to partake in.

Since I'm only BR 4 (close to 5!) I'm quite limited in what I could do.  So basically tonight was me running around, checking out things, seeing how the game is really played, and so forth.  I died about 50 times . . . because, again, I could only choose limited weapons and such.  But I did manage to get some kills when we were infiltrating a tower.  So that was nice.

Any tips as to what I should cert?  I did all of the training missions possible, which was dandy in giving me exp.  It's pretty cool when you get dropped from a drop ship onto a planet.  Fun stuff!

crumsteel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2006, 07:10:02 PM »

Glad to see you picked up the game depward. You will enjoy the large fight especially when you start getting in to vehicles and understanding the layout of things. Which reminds me, I need to start playing again since I started last week, only level 3 for TR right now.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2006, 10:57:42 AM »

Seeing as how it's the second day of my Planetside adventure, I thought I'd give a quick update.

I proceeded to try different kinds of "roles" today . . . and found myself enjoying the engineering sort of role.  I've always enjoyed the sort of "support" role in games so helping others and such is a role that I've grown accustomed to and enjoy.

Anyways, I took several screenies and thought I'd just post a couple for people to see what sorts of adventures I've been on:

Here I go dropping onto a planet in my launch pod - can't see it due to me resizing the image, but you can see some shots and fire around where I'm dropping.

I quickly joined an squad and we started to push to invade a base.

Here I am again, invading a base along with some other squads . . . they tried an unsuccessful Galaxy drop of soldiers in their base as a last ditch effort to try and defend it against us.

I decided to hop onto an ATV of sorts and proceeded to make a crazy jump . . . GTA insane jump style.

And lastly, here we are defending one of our towers.  Yeah, that's me, the newb holding a Engineering shield regenerator gun instead of an assualt gun, haha

So all in all, after playing for, well, a good majority of time in my three or so days of owning PS, I now have a battle rank of 6 and am going for a hybrid of a medic/engineer.  It gives me the option of also having a medium assault gun, which is nice as well.  I've had a good experience with the community as well - pretty nice people and a pretty mature base of players.  I would provide better screenies, but whenever I'm in a sticky situation or a larger-scale battle, I seem to forget to take some   biggrin  Anyways, that Fodderside program that is going to launch will be a fine opportunity for everyone to play for free.  And I recommend it!  There is a fairly steep learning curve (seeing as how I'm STILL learning and figuring out to play) but it's been rewarding and fun so far!

Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2006, 08:26:05 PM »

Looks like the free version is out...

http://planetside.station.sony.com/reserves/
unbreakable
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2006, 02:07:37 AM »

I already have a station account; I was signed up for PS when it came out (it never worked), and for EQ.

Does that mean I wont be able to do this?
Atragon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2006, 11:48:15 PM »

I'm in... what server are you guys on?

"We do what we must because we can."
X-Box Live: TragicNut
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2006, 06:37:11 AM »

Just create a new account, you can't use your old account for this.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: