http://gamingtrend.com
August 01, 2014, 09:55:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What's the truly scariest pc gaming experience you've had?  (Read 3513 times)
jpinard
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 18, 2004, 10:08:26 AM »

I'm looking for people to post what PC game they've played, that was the scariest for them ever.

For me, System Shock 2 is the scariest game I've ever played from start to finish.

My scariest experience, was desparately running from those midwife things in SS2.  The sounds they made were simply terrifying, and I still remmeber hiding in an elevator trying to not make a sound... hopign when I opened the door they woudl not be there.

I'd also like to say DOOM3, was not scary to me at all.  I stopped being scared of monsters in the sloet at like age 14.  biggrin
warning

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2004, 12:35:52 PM »

System Shock 2.

I stopped playing it for about 6 months because I was too wigged out to continue.

I remember one place that had an upper and lower level.  I was on the upper level, needed something on the lower level, and could hear several zombies down there.  I didn't want to go down there but I couldn't stay where I was because every minute or so another zombie would open the door and spot me.

There was no place safe in that game.
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2004, 01:21:17 PM »

Playing Diablo2:LOD and I'm in the one of the last levels before meeting Baal. I'm sneaking around corners looking for monsters and all of a sudden Baal starts his laughing. The first time he did that it scared the living bejesus out of me! I laughed at myself so much I almost got myself killed!
Even now he can catch me unawares sometimes.

Ye Olde Farte
mb737
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2004, 01:48:01 PM »

Thief, going into a small house to get some loot and there were some death knights(?) there.  I was so petrified I had to turn off the computer and go to bed.  It didn't help that it looked like my grandmother's house inside.

It happened again a lot in the Cathedral level, too, before I found out you could backstab those suckers! smile
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2004, 01:50:39 PM »

Last night, in the Ocean View apartments.  The suspense at what the ghost *could* do has me...the game's main vampire, paralyzed.  I couldn't finish the quest I was sent there for because of it.

Until last night, System Shock 2 is my top scary game. I can't play that one unless it is multiplayer.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2004, 02:22:59 PM »

-Aliens vs Predator

-Resident Evil 3 Nemesis
(This was the first RE game that I played)

I am....Migaloo
Rest in Peace, Nan & Star
XBL Schins67
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2004, 02:48:38 PM »

System Shock 2, hands down. The one and only game that has EVER spooked me out in my gaming lifetime.

Too bad I can't get my PC to play the game anymore...

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2004, 02:51:54 PM »

Undying is right up near the top of the list, but going through Ravenholm in HL2 last night was simply terrifying. Those howls....

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Jocke
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2004, 02:55:57 PM »

Have a feeling this is very dependent on what your age was when different games came out biggrin

So this is telling of my age when I say Phantasmagoria was very scary to me in parts. It was creepy how the mood of the game got grimmer and grimmer as the game progressed... There was an 18 year age limit on that game here in Sweden and that does not happen often. Especially(sp?) back then.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2004, 03:05:48 PM »

Shalebridge Cradle from Thief 3.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
AttAdude
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2004, 03:06:42 PM »

For me its the Shalebrige cradle level in thief 3.  Best level design ever, it had me quaking in my boots.  Close second is Ravenholm from HL2.

AttA
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2004, 03:09:19 PM »

Shalebridge Cradle from Thief 3

I'm throwing my hat into that ring as well.  I've not made it to Ravenholm yet, but it'd be hard pressed to get past the Cradle.  That said, I think Ocean View in Vampire is pretty damned solid as well.  If it were more confined it'd be even better (or worse, take your pick).

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Animus
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2004, 03:12:06 PM »

All of SShock 2
Return to the Cathedral - Thief 1
Shalebridge Cradle - Thief 3
Ravenholm - HL2
Special mention for certain parts of Undying
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2004, 04:22:31 PM »

Shalbridge from Thief 3 really kept me on edge and tingling but Im going with System Shock 2 as one that actually made me jump outta my chair.

I was in the engineering maze and thought Id cleaned it out completely. I was using the ini fix that let me turn off spawning. So there i am completely safe and Im digging through a supply closet when right behind me I hear one of those zombies say "kill meeeee"....shit I spun around and there he is right in my face ! I jumped outta my chair. lol man that was fun. Lucky I had my wrench handy.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2004, 04:52:07 PM »

Lot of votes for System Shock 2 here, but I'm going to go with System Shock 1 - that game had me wound so tightly that I practically jumped out of my seat once simply due to the elevator door closing unexpectedly.

And there was one scene at the hunting lodge in Gabriel Knight 2, that while not particularly scary, really creeped me out for a long time afterward.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2004, 04:56:30 PM »

So last night I was playing HL2 and about pissed myself.  I'm not even to Ravenholm yet.  It was right before the air boat section, I was looking for some ammo and I moved a box only to have a headcrab or whatever their called jump at me.  The thing is my cat literally jumped up onto my leg at the same time (seriously, the same time).  I actually yelled.  

So, I have Ravenholm to look forward to eh?  I've never really played many horror games, RE 1 being the only one I really ever played all the way through.  Since it's HL2 it won't matter how scary it is I'll finish it but playing scary games in an apartment by yourself is a bit crazy  :shock:
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2004, 05:20:52 PM »

System Shock 2 was definitely scary, but more in a suspenseful "BOO!" kind of way.

Shalebridge was actually disturbing.  That's real horror, imo.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Butterknife
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2004, 05:21:15 PM »

Another vote for System Shock 2.  I actually couldn't finish the game, it was just too scary for me.  Shucks, I didn't even get very far past the first level.

To this day I don't care for most horror movies (unless they are poorly done, i.e. not scary -- then I like them).  My wife, on the other hand, loves them.
Hamlet3145
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2004, 05:23:00 PM »

System Shock 2.
jpinard

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2004, 05:44:12 PM »

What's funny (or not) about System Shock 2, is when i first started playing I'd been pretty sick and and been kind of near death (in real life).  I played like half the first level and had to quit.  3 months later I was feeling better, and since I knew I was in for some real scariness, I was able to handle it better.  But on many levels, when the ambience and sounds got to me, I'd have to turn on a light.  It just felt like there was something in the room with me.  There is very little in a sci-fo/horror game/flic that can really scare/disturb me.  But that was a great time.
Semaj

View Profile
Heh
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2004, 06:41:06 PM »

This is going to sound Bad, but The Original Doom got me worried... When you could hear the monsters in the distance and you knew  you were about ot getmugged by somethign mean...

Then in Resident Evil... I was running around, just having finished a tough spot halfwya through and the Big scarry not easy to kill mosters(stalker or lurkers?) had just appeared with a cut scene and I went down a (I thought) safe hallway and some of those bee things appeared out of no where and I lost grip of my controller I jumped so high...

Nothing recent has made me wig out like I did then...   Although all you old people will admit you used to get worried/wired in the middle of a tough X-Com Mission smile

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
Kurth
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2004, 06:47:00 PM »

System Shock 2 would be my most scary game - the atmosphere, the suspense, the fact that the "monsters" that were after you were all flesh and blood people before being turned.  I remember onc instance where you run into a woman crew member who was in the process of being transformed - horrific and sad.

I'd also say that Resident Evil (the first one) on the playstation was good for some fall off the futon moments.  I remember going down a long hallway only to have creatures burst through the windows all around me.  Not nearly as atmospheric or heavy, but quite effective.

Another GoneGold refugee.
Raintitan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2004, 06:53:36 PM »

System Shock 2

The fear wasn't just about stuff jumping out.....it was an overwhelming sense of vulnerability and fear.

It wasn't a game about adventure or action. It was a survival game.

At least that is what I think. Of course, it was too scary for me to keep playing...
Movie_Guy
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2004, 06:57:53 PM »

Count me as another vote for System Shock 2.  I remember starting that game and even the first couple of zombies were frightening in how you could hear them stumbling around.  I think the best thing about it was even after you "adjusted" to something, there was always something even more terrifying just waiting to spring on you.  I've always thought the best scary movies were the ones that set the atmosphere and built up using your imagination, not spelling everything out.  SS2 is the computer equivilant.  You could really hear things coming at you long before they sprung and the tension made the payoff.  Oh sure, Doom3 is good for a jump or two, but there is no tension.

I'm suprised to see so many votes for Thief 3 having the best level.  I didnt realize the game was so well received.  Maybe I'll have to check that one out if I can ever catch up on my backlog - HL2, Bloodlines, Halo2.
Semaj

View Profile
Heh
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2004, 07:17:42 PM »

My brother voted For Resident Evil 1 or Silent HIll 1.

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2004, 07:19:51 PM »

Undying. Simply disturbing. Would love to see a sequel of sorts in an updated engine.
Goldy
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2004, 09:59:56 PM »

I'm going to vote for Shalebridge Cradle in Thief 3.  Also the Cragscleft prison level in Thief:TDP.  The zombies in the beginning of that level caught me by surprise.
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2004, 03:00:49 AM »

Oh, I dunno.....been playing Doom3, and it's made me jump out of my chair a couple times.

It has also been fairly tense.

Geez, some of you are jaded!

I am....Migaloo
Rest in Peace, Nan & Star
XBL Schins67
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2004, 03:28:25 AM »

I admit Doom 3 makes me jump so much, I can only play about 15-20 minutes at a time before I've had enough. What can I say, jump scares(especially wearing headphones) work for me.

That said, System Shock 2 by far is the creepiest, scariest game I've played.  The sound design is what does it, it instills a feeling of dread in me. To even contemplate ever being in a situation like that in real life makes me shudder, and since that's how I play(immersing myself like I'm there), SS2 is sensory overload.
Elenkis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2004, 03:33:10 AM »

Easily Shalebridge Cradle from Thief 3 and Return to the Cathedral from Thief.

The System Shock's and Ocean View from Bloodlines are also all good, but they don't compete with the horror design genius of the Cradle.

www.giantbomb.com

Go Patriots!
Go Bruins!
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2004, 05:37:55 AM »

Quote from: "Jocke"
Have a feeling this is very dependent on what your age was when different games came out biggrin

So this is telling of my age when I say Phantasmagoria was very scary to me in parts. It was creepy how the mood of the game got grimmer and grimmer as the game progressed... There was an 18 year age limit on that game here in Sweden and that does not happen often. Especially(sp?) back then.

The last CD was messed up... the whole seeing the axe travel through the skull freaked me. Also, the demonic rape scene in the bathroom, the wine bottle murder and the trowel (sp?) in the mouth still haunts me... oo, and the meatgrinder. What were they thinking??? sheesh.

AvP also gave me a few brown-trouser times too... God did you feel useless as a marine. I was Hudson the whole time... it's game over man, it's game over!

It didn't help that I had a kickass sound system hooked up.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Semaj

View Profile
Heh
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2004, 05:40:38 AM »

YOu all made me go out and get system Shock 2...
Well I made it about 15 minutes before I turned it off... Yeah I'm that big a nancyboy...

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
jpinard

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2004, 07:23:36 AM »

Quote from: "Semaj"
YOu all made me go out and get system Shock 2...
Well I made it about 15 minutes before I turned it off... Yeah I'm that big a nancyboy...

Oh man, that's funny!  Definately the sound in that game, is what does it - and your feeling sooooo vulnerable all the time.  Sadly HL-2 doesn't have that effect on me.  I'm getting very excited to run Thief 3.  It's so weird, I had NO idea it had anything scary in it!  I thought it was just abuot stealing things and bonking people on the head.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2004, 08:24:11 AM »

i think the marine missions of AvP2 kept me on the edge of my seat pretty well...i enjoyed every minute of it though.  Doom3 has a lot of good moments that make you jump in your chair and keeps you on your toes.  Phantasmagoria was definitely an interesting game...not necessarily scary, but definitely had some really bizarre/disturbing moments.  they're all good games in my opinion and the tension level they keep up is one of the big reasons why.

i think i'll be entering the Ravenhold area of HL2 pretty soon...should be interesting to see if it lives up to the hype...:twisted:

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2004, 03:20:22 PM »

I'd have to say SS2 was pretty damn freaky.  I think it's that combination of being all alone in the dark and with too few bullets. smile

I played most of the hotel level in Vampire last night and man... that was pretty freaky.  I jumped a few times and even had my skin crawl at one point.  But then again I am a wuss so... biggrin

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2004, 03:26:44 PM »

I just entered Ravenhold last night in HL2 and it is quiet intense.  In fact, it's the scariest game I've played (as I said earlier, I haven't played many).  It is a lot of fun though.  I love all the different traps you can use and the sounds are fantastic.  Can't wait to finish the level though smile
maggie-chow
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2004, 06:31:05 AM »

System Shock 2 ... couldn't get more than an hour or two into the game.  Monkeys (shudder).

Yeah, I'm a weenie, I don't like to be "scaert".   Far Cry, I made it almost to the end before bailin.

"I spill my drink!"    [Currently playing: Civ IV (PC), Romance of the Three Kingdoms X (PS2)]
JayG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2004, 10:38:00 AM »

SS2, Undying, Thief and Everquest. Everquest when I would be chased by some monster I had no chance at beating, or when I was ambushed by a bunch of PKs.
onnel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2004, 06:32:18 PM »

Well of course SS2 wins, but Phantasmagoria dedfinitely gets a very honourable mention.  

I was falling asleep (had to work the next day) while my wife played it on the computer next to the bed (with the lights out naturally).  Suddenly she screams and leaps in to bed with me and won't let go.  Boy was that a well done game.

The hotel level in the new Vampire game also does an excellent job (better than I expected) and had me sweating last night with the lights out...and of course the levels from the Thief series mentioned are also all excellent.

The original SS was probably the *first* game to really scare me...and my wife found it hysterical when I was physically leaning in my chair to see further around a corner in the game.

Onnel
Elenkis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2004, 03:50:27 AM »

After reading this thread I was a little disappointed to reach Ravenholm and find it not the slightest bit scary.  In fact finding inventive ways to take out those hordes of zombies with the grav gun made it more comical than scary (especially with the rediculous noise they make when on fire).

I found myself laughing my ass off at several points during that mission, something I could never do in SS2 or the Cradle.

www.giantbomb.com

Go Patriots!
Go Bruins!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: