http://gamingtrend.com
November 21, 2014, 03:14:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What's going to happen to the Xbox?  (Read 538 times)
Canuck
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I live in Japan

View Profile
« on: November 28, 2005, 01:23:10 AM »

Just out of curiousity, I was wondering what will happen now that the Xbox360 is out.  Will it basically die like the N64 as all the developers shift to the Xbox 360?  Or will it keep getting new games like the original Playstation did?  Have any game companies commented about this?
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2005, 01:32:07 AM »

well, the official press and such has been pretty positive, in that the xbox will be nicely supported for at least the next year.  im sure a lot of companies will cross support, especially for the beginning because doesnt it seem like 360 has so far been xbox games with nicer graphics?  not many have been total "exclusives" - and i bet until developers find their rhythm with the new system it will continue that way.  it also bodes well that microsoft has made a few of the bigger xbox titles of late backwards compatible out of box, which should at least entice a few more "blockbuster" xbox titles - why invest in learning a new system when you can make a game with a larger user base thatll also be playable on new fangled toy?  so yea, longwinded way of saying i still have hope for my xbox and they have a lot of titles planned at least for this year
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2005, 01:35:18 AM »

Probably nothing original - only multiplatform games.  I plan on modding mine in the future once I grab a 360.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2005, 03:19:29 AM »

It's Dead, Jim.

The Xbox will likely continue to get multiplatform titles for some time but exclusive content will be as dry as they come.  The business model that MS adopted for Xbox was such that they are still losing money on each platform sold so MS wants to shift everyone over to the 360 which is built on the traditional console model that has them eventually seeing a profit on hardware.  

IIRC, MS cancelled their GPU contract with Nvidia as of this past August and no GPU=no new Xboxes being produced.  

Any MS comments about "continued support" are just as hollow as those that Sega made when they stopped production of the Dreamcast.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: