http://gamingtrend.com
December 20, 2014, 07:25:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What's Bioware doing? Oh yeah. A Sonic RPG. Yeah... ok...  (Read 1761 times)
warning
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 21, 2007, 04:08:16 PM »

http://www.bioware.com/bioware_info/press_releases/2007_06_21_Sonic_DS/

A Sonic RPG for the Nintendo DS developed by Bioware?

"Everyone at SEGA has huge confidence that Sonic is in the safest of hands, and that BioWare can create the ultimate handheld RPG experience for gamers of all ages."

"We're thrilled to be working with SEGA on Sonic, one of the industry's most enduring and compelling icons," said Greg Zeschuk, president of BioWare. "As huge fans of Sonic ourselves, we're committed to delivering a truly amazing story-driven experience within the Sonic universe, focusing on capturing the character's broad appeal and placing him in a completely original adventure," added Ray Muzyka, chief executive officer of BioWare.

It's like I've entered Bizarro-land.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 04:10:02 PM »

yeah i just read this....sonic RPG...KOTOR3...sonic RPG...KOTOR 3...okay,i know which one i want them to do ...sonic died years ago

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 04:16:00 PM »

enter Starshifter crying about KotOR 3 in 5....4....3.....  icon_wink

A Sonic RPG by Bioware could be weird enough to be intresting though.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 04:17:14 PM »

Huh? Eh? What?

There's gotta be some good reasoning to this, but I sure as hell can't figure it out right now.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007, 04:18:57 PM »

If a mario RPG can work well, why not a Sonic RPG.  Personally this sounds awesome to me.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2007, 04:19:34 PM »

Is it ok that I think this is a stupid ass idea and I wish they wouldn't waste their time on it? Yeah, I'm not sure I care if it's ok-thats what I think.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2007, 04:24:02 PM »

The thing that makes Sonic games good is the sense of speed.  Sonic 1-3 on the Genesis were insanely fun and fast and held my ADD-plagued concentration much better than any Mario game ever did.

For whatever reason they moved away from that and began focusing on all these bizarre secondary characters that no one ever cared about.  Cream?  Biggs the Cat?

I'm sure Bioware can make a great game but this just seems like a weird franchise to turn into an RPG.  Sega must have come to them with the mother of all money hats.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2007, 04:38:07 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on June 21, 2007, 04:18:57 PM

If a mario RPG can work well, why not a Sonic RPG.  Personally this sounds awesome to me.

My sentiments as well. Let's wait and see if Bioware's RPG making magic can turn Sonic into a great RPG just as Square did back in the day for Mario. I'd say Sega isn't planning on targeting this to adults at all, but more to the younger playing crowd that appreciates a good DS RPG; i.e. Pokemon.
I know for a fact that my kids will eat this game up if it's up to Bioware's usual standards.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2007, 04:42:18 PM »

I'm willing to give Bioware the benefit of the doubt.  I don't see them as doing straight up work for hire on something like this so I'm guessing (hoping) that the idea was there's and they approached Sega with it. 
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2007, 04:45:56 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on June 21, 2007, 04:17:14 PM

Huh? Eh? What?

There's gotta be some good reasoning to this, but I sure as hell can't figure it out right now.

They probably took it on as a challenge. Something that they needed to get the creative juices flowing again, sort of like when a writer will sit down and just write gibberish to get back in the groove.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2007, 04:49:01 PM »

Is it the beginning of April or something?

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2007, 05:12:21 PM »

I don't think we should lose sight of the fact that it's Bioware who's developing this; the developer that builds game engines and toolsets as good or better than anyone else.  If their approach to Sonic RPG's  engine is universal enough, there's no reason the DS RRG's we dream of having couldn't be created with the same engine.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2007, 05:36:20 PM »

hopefully this is just the set up game to get themselves comfortable on the DS, and then after they've cashed Sega's checks, they will develop their own game...

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2007, 05:43:13 PM »

The two previous unusual collaborations - Square and Nintendo making Mario RPG, and Square and Disney teaming up for Kingdom Hearts - have been huge successes, so I see no reason why this can't be.  Now, if only Bioware would team up with Square Enix (BioSquare!), I'd be in heaven.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
warning

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2007, 05:49:44 PM »

Instead of Sonic the Hedgehog RPG how about Boo the Space Hamster RPG?  Now that I'd love!

One of the special attacks could be called "Go for the eyes Boo!"

Genius.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2007, 05:50:38 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on June 21, 2007, 05:12:21 PM

I don't think we should lose sight of the fact that it's Bioware who's developing this; the developer that builds game engines and toolsets as good or better than anyone else.  If their approach to Sonic RPG's  engine is universal enough, there's no reason the DS RRG's we dream of having couldn't be created with the same engine.

Listen, there isn't any way I will lose sight its Bioware. I love bioware absurd amounts (and all their games). But I think this is an idiotic idea for a game, and a waste of Bio's resources.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2007, 06:09:23 PM »

I think of Mario Bros. and I can picture Goombas, Koopa Troopers, Shy Guys, those Ninja guys, Hammer Bros., the list of memorable characters goes on and on.  I think of Sonic and all I can picture are coins and loop-de-loops, the course layouts basically, and this is coming from someone who grew up owning a Genesis and a Game Gear instead of a SNES and a Gameboy. 

I'm looking through Wikipedia's list of Sonic characters, and I can only recognize about a half dozen of them.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2007, 06:44:43 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on June 21, 2007, 05:43:13 PM

The two previous unusual collaborations - Square and Nintendo making Mario RPG, and Square and Disney teaming up for Kingdom Hearts - have been huge successes, so I see no reason why this can't be.  Now, if only Bioware would team up with Square Enix (BioSquare!), I'd be in heaven.

After more thinking, that's about all I can think of that turns this whole thing into a positive. Who would've thought that Square could make an RPG out of the Mario franchise? Or turning Kingdom Hears into what it is?

Here's to hoping that Bioware can do the same with Sonic. As strange as it still is.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2007, 07:07:05 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on June 21, 2007, 05:43:13 PM

The two previous unusual collaborations - Square and Nintendo making Mario RPG, and Square and Disney teaming up for Kingdom Hearts - have been huge successes, so I see no reason why this can't be.

++
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2007, 07:55:14 PM »

While I don't dismiss the possibility (or even likelihood) that this game could be good, I am very disappointed by this news. I was really hoping for a great, old school PC type RPG for the DS. BOOOOOO!

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2007, 08:28:37 PM »

Are you kidding me???

Seriously.

Are you kidding me???

saywhat

I'm convinced that I will NEVER see KOTOR 3.  And all those who said "don't worry they're going to make it because it's a money maker" - well, boo on you!!!  mad

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
unbreakable
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2007, 08:30:22 PM »

IMO, this is Bioware taking a dead property and trying to breathe life into it.  I've never been a Sonic fan, and it doesn't even seem to be a property with a rich history.  It's a game built entirely on strangely hued bipedial animals running really fast... and that's it.  Not very character driven.

I'm not going to say it will be a bad game, though.  In fact, Bioware will probably do a pretty good job of it.  Although personally, I can't see why they would put the effort into Sonic rather than creating their own IP.  I would feel far more excited about a Bioware RPG on the DS than I am about a Sonic RPG on the DS.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2007, 08:30:30 PM »

OMG! I just had a wonderful, but spiteful thought. I can't wait to login to the Bioware forums and read some of the responses to this by the "RPG's are for PC's only" beyaches. They're already so choked about the state of things that I'm sure this will give a few of them a cardiac arrest.  icon_twisted
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2007, 08:36:14 PM »

Quote from: Starshifter on June 21, 2007, 08:28:37 PM

I'm convinced that I will NEVER see KOTOR 3.  And all those who said "don't worry they're going to make it because it's a money maker" - well, boo on you!!!  mad

"Someone" will almost certainly make KOTOR 3.  If just probably won't be Bioware. 
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2007, 08:43:08 PM »

Ugh
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2007, 09:52:17 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on June 21, 2007, 08:36:14 PM

Quote from: Starshifter on June 21, 2007, 08:28:37 PM

"Someone" will almost certainly make KOTOR 3.  If just probably won't be Bioware. 

Lucasarts will team up with EA and they'll get the Madden crew to develop "Knights of the Old Republic 3: Tournament of the Force". All kinds of crazy matchups between Jedi and Sith will ensue, with the winner of the Blitzball championship inheriting the rights to the Jedi Temple!

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
unbreakable
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2007, 01:05:04 AM »

Actually, it would be smart if Bioware uses Sega's money to develop their own DS game engine, then works on their own IP for the DS (or expands on Jade Empire).

They could also do well by bringing Baldur's Gate to the DS...
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2007, 02:36:29 AM »

"I'm convinced that I will NEVER see KOTOR 3.  And all those who said "don't worry they're going to make it because it's a money maker" - well, boo on you!!!"
This game doesn't really have anything to do with whether or not there will be a KOTOR 3, or if Bioware will do it.  The game is being created by a separate division of Bioware, created just to do handheld games, just like their division that's doing the MMORPG.

I'm also glad to see Sega committing to RPGs again, with this game and Obsidian's Aliens RPG.  Now, if only they'd do Skies of Arcadia 2.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
warning

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2007, 03:33:01 AM »

Quote from: EddieA on June 22, 2007, 02:36:29 AM

I'm also glad to see Sega committing to RPGs again, with this game and Obsidian's Aliens RPG.  Now, if only they'd do Skies of Arcadia 2.

Ouch - it hurts to think there might not be a part 2 because I loved Skies of Arcadia.  Don't make me go all Starshifter on you Eddie!
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2007, 05:22:35 AM »

skies of arcadia was great

as for the sonic thing,...i have never been  a massive fan of sonic,so that maybe why i am not that amazed by this story

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2007, 01:21:59 PM »

I'm not really a huge Sonic fan. Love Star Wars and I loved KOTOR. As everyone else has said, I think there's a smarter direction that Bioware should be doing.

if you strike me down, i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2007, 02:35:08 PM »

you must gather your party before venturing forth.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2007, 05:13:23 PM »

I don't really get why anyone even mentions KOTOR in this thread. Isn't it completely up to Lucasarts to determine if and when to create KOTOR 3 and who would develop it? Bioware shouldn't have anything to do with it, unless Lucasarts commissioned them to make it, right?

Much like when Bioware finishes making this Sonic game, it will be up to SEGA to determine whether or not any new Sonic RPGs come out.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
unbreakable
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2007, 05:35:21 PM »

I wish SEGA had decided to do an Alien Syndrome RPG instead.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2007, 07:59:37 PM »

Honestly, I feel kinda bad for the people who signed on to Bioware hoping to work on cool stuff who get stuck with this.  It's personal bias, but I couldn't imagine characters I'd like to work with less. 

And don't worry, you'll get your KOTOR
Spoiler for Hiden:
MMO
slywink
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: