http://gamingtrend.com
August 30, 2014, 02:39:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wet  (Read 4430 times)
Lockdown
Gaming Trend Senior Member

LD

View Profile
Wet
« on: August 22, 2007, 02:42:51 AM »

Could this be Starshifter's next Must Buy game....

Only time will tell.

Yahoogames Feature

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 02:46:29 AM »

The best name they could come up with was "Wet"?  Christ, were they even trying?

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 03:11:12 AM »

Reminded me a lot of Bloodrayne 2 with the grinding and the flipping and the shooting and the sword. 

Also, I believe "wet" will also be referring to "wet works," a euphemism for up-close assassination.  The blood-splatter, you see.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 04:05:42 AM »

I thought this would be another Fergie thread  Tongue

the game does sound cool in concept-  maybe they can pull off making it as cool as the trailer.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 11:42:55 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on August 22, 2007, 02:46:29 AM

The best name they could come up with was "Wet"?  Christ, were they even trying?

bad...but still beats "Legend: The Box"

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2007, 12:01:22 AM »

Quote from: Misguided on August 22, 2007, 11:42:55 PM

Yeah, now that is an awful title for what looks like an amazing game.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2007, 01:43:19 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on August 23, 2007, 12:01:22 AM

Yeah, now that is an awful title for what looks like an amazing game.

Wet: Legend of the Box?

Because I can,
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2007, 04:01:12 AM »

WTF game is that? For real?
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2007, 06:16:59 AM »

I believe it's called Legendary : The Box, with "the box" being Pandora's Box.  It seems like Legendary : Pandora's Box would have made it more clear, so I'm not sure why they didn't go with that name.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2007, 06:22:42 AM »

Quote from: EddieA on August 23, 2007, 06:16:59 AM

I believe it's called Legendary : The Box, with "the box" being Pandora's Box.  It seems like Legendary : Pandora's Box would have made it more clear, so I'm not sure why they didn't go with that name.
Whats it about?
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2007, 07:32:50 AM »

Legendary : The Box is an FPS where you battle mythological beasts who have been released from Pandora's Box into New York.  There are some nice-looking videos at Gametrailers.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2007, 11:27:38 AM »

Quote from: EddieA on August 23, 2007, 06:16:59 AM

Yeah, my bad. I had tried to block it out, so serves me right for trying to remember  retard
It could end up being a great game for all I know, but the name leaves something to be desired, IMO.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2007, 02:36:59 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on August 23, 2007, 07:32:50 AM

Legendary : The Box is an FPS where you battle mythological beasts who have been released from Pandora's Box into New York.  There are some nice-looking videos at Gametrailers.

I forgot all about that one.  It looks like it might be a fun diversion.

Because I can,
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2007, 04:15:48 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on August 22, 2007, 02:42:51 AM

Could this be Starshifter's next Must Buy game....

Only time will tell.

Yahoogames Feature

I'm betting on this one:

Temporarily named Project Witches

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2009, 04:47:24 PM »

Wet is back, and under the care of Bethesda now.  it's good to see it got picked up again after Sierra/Activision  dropped it.

Because I can,
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2009, 09:54:28 PM »

RISE!!!

Anyway, the Wet demo is up on XBLM, and it kicks ass in so many ways.  It's kind of like House of the Dead: Overkill [Wii] meets Stranglehold.  It's not perfect.  The animations are a little stiff, it's not as next-gen as it could be.  It needs a little more polish to make it a AAA title, but it's like an A grade B movie. 

Wet has a similar asthetic to HotD:O, in the sense that cutscenes have that grainy 70s style and everything is over the top (not as over the top as the Wii title, but it does a pretty good job).  When you start to lose health, the graininess kicks in, too.  It's also chock-full of the stylish moves featured in Stranglehold, but they are more free choice.  You can wall run, slide, jump and shoot all in various combinations.  Time will slow down and let you do what you need to do.  You can also hack away at people with a sword, using the moves mentioned (supposedly, you can slide then wall run up a person, but enemies seem to move out of the way before I can pull it off). 

It was all pretty good until the second level of the demo.  The main character of the demo (whom I'm referring to as "Wet," though that's not her name, though I don't remember what is) gets splattered with blood.  Wet gets wet.  Then she goes into this rage mode which has to be seen to be believed.  So stylish and slick and a helluva lot of fun.  It's all black and white and red.  And there's slashing aplenty.  I'm not sure when this'll happen in the game.  My impression is that it's scripted, but I really hope that it's not.  Fantastic.

The third section was an action sequence on a highway and was way over the top.  However, it does contain the DQTE.  I know for some that may put this game on the no-buy list right away, but it seems pretty lenient. 

Pretty sure this is a day one for me now, but it could fall apart, I suppose.  Give the demo a try.  It's pretty cool.

jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2009, 10:47:28 PM »

the demo is sucks. it kept freezing up on me.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2009, 10:57:32 PM »

i didn't have any freezes

i liked the Tarantino style look...but i am still undecided on it,i was pretty bored of the combat while still in the first room,LOL

i will prolly give it another go

and yes,very Stranglehold

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2009, 11:40:30 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on August 25, 2009, 09:54:28 PM

Give the demo a try.  It's pretty cool.

tried it last week (via psn euro account), &, other than making me want to check out stranglehold again, i wasn't all that impressed, personally - it all felt trashy-cool enough (especially that second section), but i think maybe i'm just tarrantinoed-out or something smile ...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2009, 01:01:33 AM »

i kinda liked it - looked like it might be a nice rental during the slow months.  though i had a couple gripes...

i know its demo code, but a few of the "jump" landings didnt feel quite right, nor did some of the wall runs.  it just wasnt very "precise" is the best way i can describe it.  not a deal breaker for sure, but i hope it would be something that is either 1) better in the full game or 2) something that just takes some getting used it.  i HOPE it isnt a case of something that gets more infuriating as the game goes on.  oh and for some reason, the game made me feel... weird.  fps games never do it for me, but i had this strange feeling that i usuall only get when playing 3rd person arcade flight games.

the second section of the demo was really neat - a couple people have said it already, but stylized really is the perfect word for it.  it looks like something that would be on gamecube or wii (i mean that in a good way - think say no more heroes, okami, viewtiful joe type rather than "sub-par" graphics type).  and unlike a few people, i sort of dig the "quick time" events.  i think theyre a bit too forgiving here but thats better than ridiculously frustrating so im not going to complain.
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2009, 01:03:07 AM »

also - wow this thread was STARTED in '07?  what the hell took them this long to get the game out?  seriously while i sorta liked the game its no where near the quality where i would expect it to be announced / revealed two years ago
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2009, 01:21:02 AM »

I liked the QTEs and thought they were appropriate for the level, but I know some people just loathe them.

I agree with you on the jumps.  In general, the movement is not as smooth as I would like.  The animation needs just a touch more polish, but the demo was just so fun, that I think I could get used to it, as you say.

Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2009, 01:34:52 AM »

I liked the QTEs and thought they were appropriate for the level, but I know some people just loathe them.

yup there are definitely a few out there who cant stand them in any way, shape or form - correct me if im wrong but i THINK i remember our fair host here at gaming trend being on of them - kd was it you who dearly hates qtes?
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2009, 06:11:50 AM »

Anyone tried the multiple enemy targetting with two guns yet? Sounds like another cool feature of the game..

A new one
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2009, 07:19:32 AM »

Quote from: Doopri on August 26, 2009, 01:03:07 AM

also - wow this thread was STARTED in '07?  what the hell took them this long to get the game out?  seriously while i sorta liked the game its no where near the quality where i would expect it to be announced / revealed two years ago

wasn't this the game that lost its publisher.Activision Dropped it mid last year i think...and then along came Bethesda

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2009, 02:19:11 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on August 26, 2009, 06:11:50 AM

Anyone tried the multiple enemy targetting with two guns yet? Sounds like another cool feature of the game..

It was hard to figure out what you're supposed to do in the tutorial moment for that, but it seems you manually target the guy who doesn't have the red circle over him.  Then they both go down.  Is nice.

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2009, 06:56:30 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on August 26, 2009, 02:19:11 PM

Quote from: Razgon on August 26, 2009, 06:11:50 AM

It was hard to figure out what you're supposed to do in the tutorial moment for that, but it seems you manually target the guy who doesn't have the red circle over him.  Then they both go down.  Is nice.

That's pretty much it. If there is an enemy in sight, the red reticle wil automatically fix on that target, there will also be a secondary reticule which you can aim at whoever you want. When you fire the gun, it's going to shoot at both reticles.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2009, 01:41:26 PM »

Tried the demo last night.  The combat was fun with all the slow motion Matrix-styled stuff and that highway scene was a blast.  However, the type of story and/or theme is not catching my attention.  I originally thought it would be more of a fantasy like setting.  I also did not care for the film-like graphics.  I will look into it some more but I'm not thinking this one is for me.

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2009, 09:02:51 PM »

...and it's getting "so so" reviews.

I had a fun time with the demo. I think I will still plan on playing it at some point.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2009, 10:34:16 PM »

Much like comments here, it seems to be a game that either clicks with you or doesn't.  I picked it up and played through the first level (mostly the demo without a couple of parts, but with some others), and I had a blast.  Sure, it's a little rough around the edges (though I've seen worse), but it's got attitude and energy to spare.  Somehow it works for me.

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2009, 07:36:24 PM »

I got to muck with this for about an hour.  I went in without playing the demo, and knowing very little about it other than that it's a grindhouse action game.

Totally worth it.  I love the style, which just oozes loyalty to the source material.  I about died when the "let's go to the snack bar" movie started playing.  The whole thing is utterly cheesy, but that's exactly what it should be.  I can see going back and replaying some of the arena fights being very amusing.  Definitely looking forward to playing some more.

I think I remember one reviewer knocking the game for using cheesy dialogue.  I don't understand that critique, since cheesy dialogue is exactly what I'd expect from a game emulating b movies. 

Starshifter, while I don't understand your dislike for the film grain effect (I love it), you can turn that off from the options menu.

Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2009, 08:29:20 PM »

ya the game "out-tarantinos tarantino"

the guy has become seriously passe and silly with his recent movies (i kinda liked kill bill but as a movie it was just a bit too... self indulgent?  it was self indulgent like me just using the term "self indulgent" smile and the new film - the nazi one, looks more of the same).

HOWEVER this stuff works PERFECTLY as a video game

sort of like if max paine had been a film noir / action film.  it would have been TERRIBLE - but as a game...
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2009, 11:49:34 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on September 15, 2009, 09:02:51 PM

...and it's getting "so so" reviews.

I had a fun time with the demo. I think I will still plan on playing it at some point.

Mine will be too.  Working on it.

I'm absolutely going to SAVAGE the sound section though....

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2009, 12:26:44 AM »

I have to say again, if you guys are enjoying the feel of this game and haven't tried House of the Dead: Overkill, you are totally missing out.

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2009, 12:44:32 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on September 18, 2009, 12:26:44 AM

I have to say again, if you guys are enjoying the feel of this game and haven't tried House of the Dead: Overkill, you are totally missing out.

I've had a copy of that game for several weeks now, but it just hasn't made it into the Wii yet.  Still on my list of things to do.

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2009, 03:48:22 AM »

Quote from: Chaz on September 18, 2009, 12:44:32 AM

I've had a copy of that game for several weeks now, but it just hasn't made it into the Wii yet.  Still on my list of things to do.

Get yourself a pistol grip for the Wiimote, really a necessity for that game IMHO.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2009, 05:13:49 AM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on September 18, 2009, 03:48:22 AM

Get yourself a pistol grip for the Wiimote, really a necessity for that game IMHO.

Aw, don't tell me that, I was hoping to get away without one.

Wet continues to be cubic awesome.  Yeah, I wish the split aiming was a bit easier to handle (though that could very easily be me sucking, since I've never been any good aiming with an analog stick), but everything is done with so much over the top style that I'm completely willing to look past any shortcomings.  For going in with virtually no expectations (I kind of bought it on a whim), I'm very impressed.

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2009, 01:28:21 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on September 18, 2009, 05:13:49 AM

OK, you could certainly get away without having one. Let me rephrase slightly and say that (IMHO) one is highly recommended.  icon_wink

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2009, 01:56:25 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on September 18, 2009, 01:28:21 PM

Quote from: Chaz on September 18, 2009, 05:13:49 AM

OK, you could certainly get away without having one. Let me rephrase slightly and say that (IMHO) one is highly recommended.  icon_wink

It does add to the experience.

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2009, 03:11:44 PM »

Played the demo.  It didn't grab me like I was hoping.  But then Stranglehold didn't either...

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: