http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 08:42:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Well, this site is coming off of my favorites...  (Read 1600 times)
moocow21
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« on: April 13, 2006, 02:31:12 AM »

MGS3 Subsistence got a 79%.  OMGWTFBBQ!!!

Heh...  I disagree with that.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2006, 02:33:56 AM »

Welcome to the site moocow21.  Care to discuss why you disagree?  smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2006, 02:37:05 AM »

Well thats a great welcome lol.

I really like'd this game, this is the first MGS game I have ever played and I really enjoy the online.

I was to busy enjoying the game to care what its ratings are.

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2006, 02:46:08 AM »

I know I am in the minority here.  But I agree with that review.  I have always felt that the MGS games from SoL on were too much cheesy story and not enough gameplay.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2006, 03:11:11 AM »

Quote from: "denoginizer"
I know I am in the minority here.  But I agree with that review.  I have always felt that the MGS games from SoL on were too much cheesy story and not enough gameplay.

Not in the minority with me.  I'd have scored it the same way.   Play for 10 minutes, listen to Otacon talk about love blooming on the battlefield for 25, play for 10, get a call from somebody on your codec talking about something that was painfully obvious 45 minutes ago, rinse repeat.  I love the gameplay parts, but man...the story.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2006, 03:17:20 AM »

Exactly my primary gripe with it. I catch a lot of flack in IRC whenever I bring up disliking certain games because the gang there believes I dislike everything. This is not true. But I refuse to compromise on what entertains me. I hated the movie Serenity and think Firefly is solidly entertaining though vastly overrated. I can't stand the Halo series outside of some online Halo 2 matches with some friends. I loved the first Metal Gear Solid but barely got halfway through Sons of Liberty before tossing it because I couldn't take watching a game I paid money to play.

That being said I admit to being fickle. I never know what's going to get me excited and personally I like being surprised in that regard. Who expected anything out of The Godfather? Not me. Yet I've played it obsessively for two weeks straight. Go figure.

I hope I'm not getting the reputation as the resident Old Man Murray, though if I could write something half as funny as their infamous Freedom: First Resistence review then I'd be a happy camper. biggrin

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2006, 04:10:17 AM »

I love the MGS score!  Nice to see some honesty!  Not that I am accusing this site of not being honest.  Good job!  I tried to play MGS3 but I seriously couldnt get stand being interrupted every couple minutes to hear a bunch of worthless crap.  And it is even worse when Snake repeats everything the person says.  For instance:

Otacon:  Snake, I need you to destroy Metal Gear.
Snake:  Metal Gear?
Otacon:  Yes, the secret super weapon!
Snake:  Secret super weapon?
Otacon: Yes, Metal Gear!
Otacon:  I need you to infiltrate the base and find Metal Gear!
Snake:  Infiltrate the base and find Metal Gear?
Otacon: Take some pictures of Metal Gear!
Snake: Metal Gear?
Otacon:  Yes, the secret super weapon!
Snake:  Secret super weapon...?
Otacon:  Correct, Metal Gear!
Otacon:  Yes!
Snake:  Es?

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2006, 04:14:08 AM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"

Not in the minority with me.  I'd have scored it the same way.   Play for 10 minutes, listen to Otacon talk about love blooming on the battlefield for 25, play for 10, get a call from somebody on your codec talking about something that was painfully obvious 45 minutes ago, rinse repeat.  I love the gameplay parts, but man...the story.

Er, have you played MGS3?  Those criticisms are valid for the first two games but MGS3 has a butt-ton of gameplay.  Once you get passed the prologue (which is admittedly overburdened by codec and cutscenes and i easily the weakest area of the game), codec conversations are few and far between  and it can take upwards of an hour or so just to get through a single gameplay area if you are taking a stealthy approach with nary a codec or cutscene in sight.  

Needless to say I disagree pretty heavily with that review.  My first run through of MGS3 took me approx 25 hours and subsequent playthroughs have taken almost 20.  Playing Substance on European Extreme Mode (never be detected) actually put me near the 30 hour mark.  And the game has less than 3 hours of cutscenes so the overwhelming majority of that is pure gameplay since I've skipped most of the codecs since my first playthrough.
Luke
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2006, 05:41:31 AM »

I see only 2 mentions of the online mode in the review, and nothing about how it plays.  All the other reviews I've read have really talked it up as something engaging and worth the time (and the cost).  In fact, I think it's considered the main reason for current owners to buy again.  How much did you play online?
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2006, 06:15:13 AM »

While we are at it....is one review you disagree with bad enough to take a site off your favorites?

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2006, 11:34:04 AM »

While we are at it....is one review you disagree with bad enough to take a site off your favorites?

not this website, since I don't really read your reviews. However, I pretty much stopped going to Gamespot because review after review was missing something or didn't mention something, was factually incorrect or just wasn't worth reading.

Things like not elaborating on the Online MP in MGS3:S bother me, but it really takes more than one of those kind of things to make me stop reading a website. It will definately make me read more clearly what you guys write from here on out.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2006, 12:14:04 PM »

My opinion means nothing re: MGS3 as I've only played MGS, but I love cutscenes.  I love a good story.

I never got the people who skip cutscenes as I find them to be a 'reward' for playing the game.

As for this:

Otacon: Snake, I need you to destroy Metal Gear.
Otacon: Yes, the secret super weapon!
Snake: Secret super weapon?
Otacon: Yes, Metal Gear!
Otacon: I need you to infiltrate the base and find Metal Gear!
Snake: Infiltrate the base and find Metal Gear?
Otacon: Take some pictures of Metal Gear!
Otacon: Yes, the secret super weapon!
Snake: Secret super weapon...?
Otacon: Correct, Metal Gear!
Otacon: Yes!
Snake: Es?

That's just funny.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2006, 03:23:16 PM »

Quote from: "moocow21"
MGS3 Subsistence got a 79%.  OMGWTFBBQ!!!

Heh...  I disagree with that.
I don't.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2006, 03:37:45 PM »

yeah what about our sexy charm, and winning smiles! smile

warning

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2006, 04:06:22 PM »

Quote from: "farley2k"

yeah what about our sexy charm, and winning smiles! smile

And hunky moderators dammit!
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2006, 04:16:55 PM »

Only if they were reviewing me.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2006, 07:36:45 PM »

I still, to this day, can't get into a MGS game to save my life.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2006, 07:41:09 PM »

Quote from: "Calvin"

I am less picky, I guess.  I could get into Barbie's Dream House if it would save my life.  Tongue

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2006, 07:47:04 PM »

I am less picky, I guess.  I could get into Barbie's Dream House if it would save my life.  Tongue

LOL, well literally yes, I would play Mortyr for 16 hours a day to ensure survival, but you know what I mean smile
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2006, 07:50:16 PM »

LOL, well literally yes, I would play Mortyr for 16 hours a day to ensure survival, but you know what I mean smile

Kind of like hitting a sequence of numbers every 106 minutes or so?

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
warning

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2006, 08:26:09 PM »

When I was a teenager I used to fantasize about getting into Barbie's "Dream House" if you know what I mean.

Does that make me a bad person?
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2006, 09:43:13 PM »

Quote from: "Graham"

Kind of like hitting a sequence of numbers every 106 minutes or so?

That's 108 minutes, chief. Get your pop culture straight.

/-1

biggrin

Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2006, 09:44:23 PM »

Quote from: "warning"
When I was a teenager I used to fantasize about getting into Barbie's "Dream House" if you know what I mean.

Does that make me a bad person?

By itself, no. But when combined with buying tickets for "Ain't Misbehavin'" I'd start questioning whether your Man Card was but a clever ruse.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2006, 04:21:33 AM »

crazy score....MGS 3 is one of the best ps2 games,gameplay is great,storyline is the best of the 3(and his eyepatch,somehow completes him)graphics are also some of the best i have seen on ps2.......if this is just the same game but more then it would definetly be in the 90% region

i cant wait for it over here,definetly for the nes versions of the very first 2 games  (not the ps1 and xbox/ps2  1 and 2 games)

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
bluntman72
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2006, 07:40:39 PM »

well I played through the second game and had a blast but I hated the story and pretty much ignored it towards the end. I bought three but never played it and it was still sealed when I sold my PS2. I will probably play four on the PS3 and hope it is a fun experience, but I wish that they had a better storyline.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2006, 12:18:46 AM »

I completely agree with the reasoning for the score. It seems like with a lot of Japanese games (not all of them, but many) they concentrate too much on style and flash over substance; Lots of long drawn out cutscenes, epic musical scores, lots of "ooh aah" scripted moments, but the gameplay is dull.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: