http://gamingtrend.com
December 21, 2014, 08:55:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Well my 360 and PS3 BOTH died yesterday  (Read 1270 times)
Louis Cypher
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: September 09, 2009, 12:52:40 PM »

My 360 has sound but no video (no RRoD), and my PS3 won't even turn on.  The 360 is definitely out of warranty, I can't find my receipt for the PS3 frown I bought it when it first came out.  I'm going to pick up a new Slip PS3 (for my birthday) Would I be ok with just picking up the Arcade version of the 360, and save $50 from the Pro? I've been hearing about the Jasper chips, I assume I want one of those.  Its a bad week of gaming for me, I just picked up Batman and started getting into it  crybaby

Live Gamer Tag: Kitten0Death
PSN: CabriX
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 01:39:05 PM »

Man, you need to buy a lottery ticket.

Yeah, you should be able to just get an Arcade unit.  You may want to call the Xbox number and just see what can be done about it.  It can't hurt to contact Sony either.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 02:05:26 PM »

Unless you are the King of Coincidence, I'd worry about an environmental issue... power, perhaps.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Louis Cypher

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 02:14:20 PM »

TV and Wii are hooked up to the same surge protecter, and they are both fine.  I noticed that my PS3 wasnt playing Blu-Ray movies, but would play games ok.  I think it was just coincidence frown

Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 04:09:18 PM »

I once thought my PS3 wasn't powering on all the way. It turns out that the HDMI input I was using went bad and thus I didn't get any audio or video from it. I would check your cables and try a different input just to make sure.  

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Louis Cypher

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 04:51:57 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on September 09, 2009, 04:09:18 PM

I once thought my PS3 wasn't powering on all the way. It turns out that the HDMI input I was using went bad and thus I didn't get any audio or video from it. I would check your cables and try a different input just to make sure.  

Yeah, I checked everything and even used my roommate's cables on both machines (He also has both systems)...Nothing frown

kratz

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 10:28:05 PM »

On the 360, you can get them to fix it out of warranty.  When I did it, it was $100, which is still cheaper than buying a new one of any sort...  call them up or go to their site.
Clay

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 10:33:38 PM »

I bought an Arcade 360 for a similar reason recently and it was the newest chip.

xbox live: nude rick james
Louis Cypher

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2009, 12:13:05 PM »

The GF is going half/half with me for a new arcade version.  I'd rather have a new Xbox than a refurb for the same price out of my pocket slywink

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2009, 02:24:15 PM »

Take your harddrive out of your original and connect it to a new arcade 360. The improved chips, better heat management and 1080p via HDMI will make it more than worth your while.
Louis Cypher

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2009, 02:29:28 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on September 10, 2009, 02:24:15 PM

Take your harddrive out of your original and connect it to a new arcade 360. The improved chips, better heat management and 1080p via HDMI will make it more than worth your while.
I know, I'm actually excited about it!

Louis Cypher

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2009, 03:00:31 PM »

Picked up a shiny new Jasper unit last night. I've forgotten how good a new sysetem first smells /nerd. Ilove the fact that the 360 now supports HDMI

Louis Cypher

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2009, 02:01:51 AM »

Ok, now I'm a little worried...The new Jasper unit is having problems already.  The right side of my tv screen has what looks like "tearing" that just happened (didnt have it yesterday) and the sound shuts off for 5 seconds every few minutes.  Going to exchange this tomorrow, maybe it has to do with the Mercury retrograde messing things up frown

Louis Cypher

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2009, 02:14:15 PM »

I seriously have shit luck.  I exchanged the 1st Arcade and everything seemed fine.  Yesterday I looked at my Arkham disc and saw a bunch of circular-like scratches.  Now I am very meticulous when it comes to my games, they NEVER get scratched.  I looked at the games I have played with the new system and they all have the same type of scratches.  I assume its from the DVD drive.  Has anyone else had this problem? will Best Buy let me exchange the system again? Thanks

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2009, 02:18:35 PM »

That's a fairly old and pretty well known issue, google for "xbox 360 scratches discs" and you'll see. And yes, I assume you should be able to exchange it for something like that.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Louis Cypher

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2009, 04:34:58 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on September 30, 2009, 02:18:35 PM

That's a fairly old and pretty well known issue, google for "xbox 360 scratches discs" and you'll see. And yes, I assume you should be able to exchange it for something like that.
Never heard of it before, and I was inquiring if anyone here has had that problem

Roman

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2009, 05:34:36 PM »

like MF said above - this is a known issue. In fact - this was a 1st gen issue is memory serves. There were tons of posts over at TeamXbox at the time with many users having circular concentric grooves in their game disks.
Something about the disk being unbalanced when spinning - some people also blamed it on the fact that the Xbox was either standing on end or being moved while the disk was spinning? No I am not saying that your situation is similar - just talking a little.

Your game disks may end up all being rendered useless sooner or later.

http://www.google.ca/search?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&channel=s&hl=en&source=hp&q=xbox360+circular+scratches+on+disk&meta=&btnG=Google+Search yields the folllowing:

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=25803595
http://forum.teamxbox.com/showthread.php?t=485953

Wiki: Scratched discs
Disc that has been scratched by the Xbox 360 console

Almost at the same time the Xbox 360 was released in late 2005, customers began reporting rounded scratches found on discs used in their Xbox 360 consoles. Almost two years later, in February 2007, the website "The Llamma's Adventures" investigated the matter and concluded that some Xbox 360 drives lack a mechanism to secure the disc solidly in place.[35] Tilting or moving consoles with these drives, when operating with a disc spinning inside, can potentially cause damage to the disc, in some cases rendering the disc unusable.[36] The disc can also be scratched by a disc tray not functioning in the right way so that the tray will close the disc in an odd position and scratch one side of the disc. Although this problem is not covered by the warranty,[37] Microsoft's Xbox Disc Replacement Program[38] will replace a limited range of scratched discs that are published in countries where the Xbox was originally sold, for a $20 fee,[39] and released a list of games that qualify for replacement.[40] Halo 3 Limited Edition was replaced at no cost until February 1, 2008 according to the Xbox Disc Replacement Program's main site. Other publishers can be contacted directly for a disc exchange, but it is unclear whether they will replace discs at no cost. Game publisher Electronic Arts details a specific program for this problem which requires the disc and original receipt, also the game must be purchased within 90 days of the request for a replacement disc, or will request a replacement charge of $20 or $25.[41]

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
Louis Cypher

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2009, 06:06:35 PM »

You think since I have a model that was manufactured in April 09 that this issue would be addressed.  Its really upsetting.

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2009, 06:15:22 PM »

Quote from: Louis Cypher on September 30, 2009, 06:06:35 PM

You think since I have a model that was manufactured in April 09 that this issue would be addressed.  Its really upsetting.

Typically, this type of scratch results from moving the system while the disc is in. I have seen a couple (literally) of cases where these types of scratches happened without touching the system, but it's rare. You need to return it.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Louis Cypher

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2009, 08:01:50 PM »

it sits on it's self, in the horizontal position frown

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2009, 01:37:31 AM »

Return it.