http://gamingtrend.com
December 22, 2014, 02:25:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Well, its 11/22, what new video content is on XBL Marketplace?  (Read 1785 times)
jblank
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« on: November 22, 2006, 01:39:29 PM »

Anyone check this morning before coming in to work? If The Matrix is on there, and in HD, I know what I will be watching tonight.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2006, 04:31:06 PM »

I checked it out earlier.  Kind of surprising to see it all there since I didn't know it was going live today.  I might download the South Park WoW episode later.  The price seems fair enough to me.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2006, 04:47:06 PM »

The TV shows are good, but the whole 'rent' a movie thing is lame. You download 4.6 GB for a HD movie then have 24 hours to watch it! Then it becomes worthless. What a waste of HD space and bandwidth. Not to mention, who the heck has enough HD space for this?

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2006, 05:23:33 PM »

This is a heck of a bold move by MS. I think they are trying to get a foothold into serving up HD movies before Apple can.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2006, 05:34:16 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on November 22, 2006, 04:47:06 PM

The TV shows are good, but the whole 'rent' a movie thing is lame. You download 4.6 GB for a HD movie then have 24 hours to watch it! Then it becomes worthless.

Incorrect:

When you first confirm the video download, the 14 day countdown will start. This countdown starts the moment you confirm your rental, whether you start the download or not. Once you start watching the video, it switches over to the 24-hour countdown clock. You can watch the video as often as you like until it expires.

So, if you start watching it, you have 24 hours.  But, you have 14 days from when you confirm the download to watch it.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2006, 05:37:22 PM »

how much $$$ do these movies cost?
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2006, 05:38:24 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on November 22, 2006, 05:34:16 PM

The TV shows are good, but the whole 'rent' a movie thing is lame. You download 4.6 GB for a HD movie then have 24 hours to watch it! Then it becomes worthless.

Incorrect:

When you first confirm the video download, the 14 day countdown will start. This countdown starts the moment you confirm your rental, whether you start the download or not. Once you start watching the video, it switches over to the 24-hour countdown clock. You can watch the video as often as you like until it expires.

So, if you start watching it, you have 24 hours.  But, you have 14 days from when you confirm the download to watch it.

Well, yeah...that was what I ment. Still 24 hours and it's just a bunch of junk data on your Hard Drive. I hope they release a defrag tool for the 360, cause it's going to need it with all the download and deleting....

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2006, 05:40:13 PM »

Quote from: naednek on November 22, 2006, 05:37:22 PM

how much $$$ do these movies cost?

From the main page:

* High-definition TV shows will be 240 Microsoft Points per episode, and standard-definition TV shows will be 160 Microsoft Points per episode.
    * New release movies in high definition will be 480 Microsoft Points, and standard-definition new release movies will be 320 Microsoft Points each.
    * Classic feature films in high definition will be 360 Microsoft Points, and standard definition will be 240 Microsoft Points. After purchasing a high-definition TV show or movie, gamers can download the standard-definition version at no additional charge.

And here's a question - what's stopping you from using one of those data copiers (lets you plug your 360 HD into your PC) and moving the data there and back and then unplugging your Live connection? Something tells me that Microsoft had to figure this one out, but...

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2006, 05:54:40 PM »

Some interesting selections on there ranging from Rebel without a Cause to recent movies like V for Vendetta. Some flims you can download in HD (720p), although this costs more (480 MS points compared to 320 for 480p). There are a bunch of really crappy movies available, but hopefully the selection will exapnd soon. I'm tempted to download an HD movie just to see how it looks-- I haven't seen a BluRay or HD-DVD one yet-- but both the cost and the lengthy download time (the thing is over 6 gigs!) are enough to make me hold off. I guess with background loading, you could always just spend time playing games while you wait, but I want my purchases now, now, NOW.  icon_biggrin

Heh, I just saw that they have HD versions of both Clash of the Titans and the original Star Trek series available. I see they're targeting the geek demographic.  icon_biggrin
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2006, 06:04:05 PM »

The TV shows are good, but the whole 'rent' a movie thing is lame. You download 4.6 GB for a HD movie then have 24 hours to watch it! Then it becomes worthless. What a waste of HD space and bandwidth. Not to mention, who the heck has enough HD space for this?

I have 13GB free on mine.

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2006, 06:04:36 PM »

I do have one question.  Why would I pay $6 for a movie rental on XBLM?  That is more than renting at the store and more than PPV.

jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2006, 06:08:29 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on November 22, 2006, 06:04:36 PM

I do have one question.  Why would I pay $6 for a movie rental on XBLM?  That is more than renting at the store and more than PPV.

Well, convenience maybe? Plus, they are in HD for the most part.

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2006, 06:10:02 PM »

Quote from: jblank on November 22, 2006, 06:08:29 PM

I guess.  But, I think it is less costly to go NetFlix and get a DVD sent that is HD and 5.1 as well.  I guess you don't get it as quick as XBLM, though.  With Blockbuster, you can do unlimited rentals and even go to the store if you don't want to wait for the mail.  I figured they would come in at $4 at the most.

jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2006, 06:16:38 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on November 22, 2006, 06:10:02 PM

Quote from: jblank on November 22, 2006, 06:08:29 PM

I guess.  But, I think it is less costly to go NetFlix and get a DVD sent that is HD and 5.1 as well.  I guess you don't get it as quick as XBLM, though.  With Blockbuster, you can do unlimited rentals and even go to the store if you don't want to wait for the mail.  I figured they would come in at $4 at the most.

Yeah, but is Netflix renting HD-DVD movies? You make a VERY good point about the cost, but for a lot of people, when you take gas prices into effect, is it REALLY that much more money? If people don't rent them though, they probably will cut prices, but as it is right now, I will probably try this out as its not that cost prohibitive for me, when you factor in the picture quality and convenience.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2006, 06:18:07 PM »

Yes, Netflix rents both HD-DVD and Bluray.
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2006, 06:22:54 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 22, 2006, 06:18:07 PM

Wow, really? Hmmmmmm.

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2006, 06:25:19 PM »

Quote from: jblank on November 22, 2006, 06:22:54 PM

Wow, really? Hmmmmmm.

Yeah they do... but I'm still intrigued by the possibility of being able to get it (relatively) instantly.

gellar
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2006, 06:28:25 PM »

Quote from: gellar on November 22, 2006, 06:25:19 PM

Wow, really? Hmmmmmm.

Yeah they do... but I'm still intrigued by the possibility of being able to get it (relatively) instantly.

gellar

See, that is the draw for me also, that and the fact I can watch them in 720p. Like anyone, I wish the cost was a bit less, but I just rented a movie yesterday for $4.00, then had take it back, so really, this isn't THAT much more if you factor in gas, time, etc.

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2006, 06:34:35 PM »

Quote from: jblank on November 22, 2006, 06:28:25 PM

Wow, really? Hmmmmmm.

gellar

See, that is the draw for me also, that and the fact I can watch them in 720p. Like anyone, I wish the cost was a bit less, but I just rented a movie yesterday for $4.00, then had take it back, so really, this isn't THAT much more if you factor in gas, time, etc.

Totally.  I do wish I now had a larger HD though, as I think I have like 7-8 gigs free at any given point in time.

That and I wish they had more than just V on there.

If they could somehow do a subscription model and had most new releases, I'd be ALL OVER it.

gellar
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2006, 06:38:20 PM »

Quote from: gellar on November 22, 2006, 06:34:35 PM

Wow, really? Hmmmmmm.

gellar

Totally.  I do wish I now had a larger HD though, as I think I have like 7-8 gigs free at any given point in time.

That and I wish they had more than just V on there.

If they could somehow do a subscription model and had most new releases, I'd be ALL OVER it.

gellar

If they did that, than I would get it in an instant. The way it is now though, I'll stick to select TV shows that I can keep, not rent.

Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2006, 06:42:35 PM »

I'll give this a try.  I'm d/l supernatural as we speak.  I like MS idea and it certainly gives a counter to Sony offering.

Edit- I just wanted to add that it is just released so picking will be thin I think, but look like they will be adding stuff.  Give it time,  Btw, this is just like On-Demand offered by Cable and Satellite services. 
« Last Edit: November 22, 2006, 06:46:14 PM by Soulchilde » Logged

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2006, 08:57:25 PM »

i think i will stick to watching my movies on DVD..and any TV shows i miss or want from limewire icon_wink

as for V for Vendetta<<<<one of the worse movies ever...except for the part when natalie portman is dressed in pink icon_twisted

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2006, 09:02:45 PM »

Quote from: gellar on November 22, 2006, 06:34:35 PM

gellar

Now that's an idea... maybe a freebie/month for live gold members...

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2006, 09:04:15 PM »

gellar

[/quote]

Though you don't have to buy an HD-DVD/BluRay player.  Hopefully selections get better than Comcast on Demand (though they are getting better, though the HD movies are in 3 or 4 different places...

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
Szgany
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2006, 09:26:22 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on November 22, 2006, 06:42:35 PM

I'll give this a try.  I'm d/l supernatural as we speak

Let us know how the show runs. I'm leery, due to price and the possibility that the video might get choppy in parts, like some of the game trailers I've downloaded. I can handle the occasional stutter, but every few seconds would drive me insane.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2006, 09:32:16 PM »

Quote from: Szgany on November 22, 2006, 09:26:22 PM

Quote from: Soulchilde on November 22, 2006, 06:42:35 PM

I'll give this a try.  I'm d/l supernatural as we speak

Let us know how the show runs. I'm leery, due to price and the possibility that the video might get choppy in parts, like some of the game trailers I've downloaded. I can handle the occasional stutter, but every few seconds would drive me insane.

Servers are being hammered at the moment so my d/l is still going.   Will give impressions once it's done

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2006, 09:59:55 PM »

I just started the opening quest in Knights of the Nine. Man I love Oblivion. (yeah what Jblank typed)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2006, 10:51:46 PM by Tebunker » Logged

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2006, 10:17:29 PM »

Quote from: Tebunker on November 22, 2006, 09:59:55 PM

I just started the opening quest in Knights of the Devine. Man I love Oblivion.

Knights of the Nine.

I started it also, but I am leery of the fact you have to go to 49 million different places to even begin the actual quest part. Praying at the shrines is a bit tedious since you just hop from point to point.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2006, 02:18:24 AM »

Quote from: jblank on November 22, 2006, 10:17:29 PM

Knights of the Nine.

I started it also, but I am leery of the fact you have to go to 49 million different places to even begin the actual quest part. Praying at the shrines is a bit tedious since you just hop from point to point.
Are there new achievements?
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2006, 03:18:06 AM »

I only have like 5 gigs free-and I just feel like 3 bucks per tv show is a tad expensive-but I really want to get one in HD just to see how it actually looks-problem is I always get AWFUL download speeds from MS and I am worried about getting a file this big.
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2006, 03:44:27 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on November 23, 2006, 02:18:24 AM

Quote from: jblank on November 22, 2006, 10:17:29 PM

Knights of the Nine.

Are there new achievements?

Nope, unfortunately. :icon_sad:

Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2006, 05:47:11 AM »

Out of curiosity, I wonder why the limitation of achievements/gamerpoints for games?  It seems as though being able to add in new achievements would make downloadable content much more desireable to people.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2006, 05:01:59 PM »

Quote from: Jarrodhk on November 23, 2006, 05:47:11 AM

Out of curiosity, I wonder why the limitation of achievements/gamerpoints for games?  It seems as though being able to add in new achievements would make downloadable content much more desireable to people.

Well, Microsoft set that 1000 point limit.   About the only way developers can do what you suggest is to release a sub-1000 point game and then give out the remaining points via downloadable content.  However, there will be people bitching that they shouldn't have to download content to get the full 1000 points, so it is basically a no-win situation.  Now, I guess Microsoft could allow games to have more than 1000 points, but I guess they had to set it somewhere so that someone like EA wouldn't come out and offer 10000 points for their game (and you know they'd be the first to do it and make it really easy to get the points).

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: