http://gamingtrend.com
September 23, 2014, 12:40:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Well, it's official now (360 elite)  (Read 7866 times)
Interloper
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: March 28, 2007, 10:15:28 PM »

Add me to the long list who will not get this.  The hefty price tag for an HDMI interface and a large hard drive I will never use makes no sense to me.  Like Ike, I use the 360 strictly for gaming, that's all.  I'm apparently not MS's target audience I guess.  I don't even come close to ever filling up the 20 gig hd.  I download a demo here and there, delete, rinse and repeat.  I'm also not picky enough with the visuals to pick it up for the HDMI.  It's looks fine as is with the component cable IMO.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 28, 2007, 10:36:07 PM »

Quote from: jblank on March 28, 2007, 09:29:39 PM

Quote from: gilgamex on March 28, 2007, 09:12:47 PM

Quote from: jblank on March 28, 2007, 08:24:53 PM

I understand him fine, I just think its much a'do about nothing, to the point where it's not even worth discussing........but anyway.

Come on now, this isn't as big a deal as you think. Most people end up using the points in the end, so really, why is this an issue? I always buy blocks in 2000 pt allotments (is that the second most amount) and just go from there. I don't buy points for one thing, I buy them to replenish and use and its entirely optional. Again, if this is make or break, don't buy the points. If quibbling over what did you say, a $1.45 is a big deal, then this definitely is something you should think twice about supporting.

What else can I say? icon_neutral

To quote Wonderpug:

"Somewhere, just now, the guy who invented microtransactions let out a small maniacal giggle and twiddled his fingers with glee."

This guy must be giggling a lot today.

Why, because I don't mind paying a couple of bucks to enjoy their products?   icon_neutral  icon_confused No offense but that's one of the strangest posts of the day. You guys act like spending $6.00 for 500 points is taking money out of your retirement or something. Sheesh. Roll Eyes

Again, we're not talking about the couple of bucks you're paying to enjoy their products.  That's what the price of the product is for.  We're talking about the couple of bucks you're giving them as a loan because they set up their point increments to force people to have leftover points.

Let's assume you know for a fact that over the next few years you're going to spend $100 on Live.  Microsoft changes the system so that you must buy a minimum of $100 of points.  To buy a $5 game, you have to spend $100 and have $95 sitting in point limbo for Microsoft to make interest on.

Would you be grumpy about having to have so much money in their hands for no real reason, even if you knew you'd eventually spend those $95 of points?  I think most people would be grumpy.

But it's not $95 sitting in limbo.  It's just a few bucks, around $10 in your case.  You don't care because it's a minor amount of money.  You're not alone.

And that's why Marvin Microtransaction is giggling with glee.
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: March 28, 2007, 10:38:00 PM »

Whatever buddy.....whatever. Lets just move on back to the actual console discussion.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 28, 2007, 11:25:35 PM »

Quote from: jblank on March 28, 2007, 10:38:00 PM

Whatever buddy.....whatever. Lets just move on back to the actual console discussion.

There was something offensive to be found in my last post?  I really don't understand your world.

edit: Just to clarify, since I really am confused, in my previous post all I was saying is that the thing that bothers IkeVandergraaf does not seem like an issue to you because it only involves a small amount of money.  Because most people, like you, are a lot looser with their money when it involves small amounts, microtransactions are a very successful business model.

Is this not accurate to say?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 11:55:52 PM by wonderpug » Logged
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: March 28, 2007, 11:55:52 PM »

No, he`s trying to get the thread on track.

WP, you are totally right, but it comes down to less than monthly bank transactions COST you, and the interest made on the individual (who is by no means FORCED to buy said product). You could buy smaller increments.

The Black 360 doesn`t interest me.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 29, 2007, 03:47:44 PM »

I listened to Major Nelson's Spin Session.....err podcast about the Elite version on the way to work today.

I am more convinced then ever that Microsoft blew it with this move.  I just don't think making a more expensive version of the 360 was the way to go at this time. 

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 29, 2007, 03:53:00 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on March 29, 2007, 03:47:44 PM

I listened to Major Nelson's Spin Session.....err podcast about the Elite version on the way to work today.

I am more convinced then ever that Microsoft blew it with this move.  I just don't think making a more expensive version of the 360 was the way to go at this time. 

If it was a limited edition release I think it wouldn't be that big a deal, you'd appeal to the same crowd that's planning to buy the Halo helmet edition.  But it sounds like it's really going to be a permanent addition to the lineup? 
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 29, 2007, 04:37:35 PM »

http://centracomm.cachefly.net/majornelson/2007/mnr-032507-218-GKeighleyJetpacMaintenance-mp3.mp3

If you want a good laugh, listen to his podcast with Geoff Keighley. I think he was expecting him to join in on his bashing of Home for the PS3....then Geoff Keighley turns around and says that Sony is doing some great stuff and lays into MS for charging for Xbox Live. The whole time Major is just going "Uh-huh", "uh-huh" (you can tell in his head Major is going....oh shit....)...etc...

icon_lol

Good time for all.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 29, 2007, 05:15:22 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on March 29, 2007, 04:37:35 PM

http://centracomm.cachefly.net/majornelson/2007/mnr-032507-218-GKeighleyJetpacMaintenance-mp3.mp3

If you want a good laugh, listen to his podcast with Geoff Keighley. I think he was expecting him to join in on his bashing of Home for the PS3....then Geoff Keighley turns around and says that Sony is doing some great stuff and lays into MS for charging for Xbox Live. The whole time Major is just going "Uh-huh", "uh-huh" (you can tell in his head Major is going....oh shit....)...etc...

icon_lol

Good time for all.

Hetz - you use to speak highly of Major Nelson's podcast awhile back.  In fact, it was one of the key ones you listened to a lot back in the beginning of the X360 lifecycle.  I remember your thread asking other GT'ers what podcasts we listen to.  You quoted him often (on X360 news/developments) and urged others to listen to his podcast.  This was back in the day when you were championing the X360 (when you and your sister both won free ones).  I never heard of Major Nelson until you mentioned him.  I started listening and enjoying his podcast because of your recommendation.

Do you still listen to his podcast regularly or care about his opinions anymore?  Your post makes it sound like you don't.  Just curious.

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 29, 2007, 05:28:42 PM »

icon_lol

Good time for all.

How is that actually a good time for anybody rather than Keighley kind of ambushing him? And you used to love Nelson.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 29, 2007, 05:56:12 PM »

icon_lol

Good time for all.

Yes I listened to that one too.  Keighley did make some excellent points both for and against Home.  I guess I didn't get the sense of Major squirming as much as you did.

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 29, 2007, 07:10:01 PM »

Quote from: Starshifter on March 29, 2007, 05:15:22 PM

icon_lol

Good time for all.

Hetz - you use to speak highly of Major Nelson's podcast awhile back.  In fact, it was one of the key ones you listened to a lot back in the beginning of the X360 lifecycle.  I remember your thread asking other GT'ers what podcasts we listen to.  You quoted him often (on X360 news/developments) and urged others to listen to his podcast.  This was back in the day when you were championing the X360 (when you and your sister both won free ones).  I never heard of Major Nelson until you mentioned him.  I started listening and enjoying his podcast because of your recommendation.

Do you still listen to his podcast regularly or care about his opinions anymore?  Your post makes it sound like you don't.  Just curious.

I used to listen to him quite a bit, but I haven't listened to him for awhile now. I only listened to that one podcast because I heard about how Major Nelson got blindsided by Keighley with the negative comments about Live and the positive comments about Sony.

I liked him for awhile when the 360 first came out, cause I thought he was a smart guy and he had good information on the 360, since everyone else was in 360 hate mode at the time. It was hard to find a positive news source for the 360 back then. Now, unfortunatily, it's not the same. I understand that is kind of his job....but now that I own all the consoles, it just annoys me when he sounds like 360 fanboy.

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 29, 2007, 07:33:58 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on March 29, 2007, 07:10:01 PM

I liked him for awhile when the 360 first came out, cause I thought he was a smart guy and he had good information on the 360, since everyone else was in 360 hate mode at the time. It was hard to find a positive news source for the 360 back then. Now, unfortunatily, it's not the same. I understand that is kind of his job....but now that I own all the consoles, it just annoys me when he sounds like 360 fanboy.

Let me get this straight.

You post a thread about a Sony exclusive developer praising the PS3, yet you get annoyed when an employee of Microsoft sounds like a 360 fanboy?

I find your hypocrisy amusing.

madpeon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 29, 2007, 11:36:40 PM »

What he said.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 30, 2007, 12:23:42 AM »

Yeah, what he said!

Oh wait...

Whatever. I honestly find this whole thread very amusing.  Let me know when that insomniac guy has a podcast, k? Then I will not want to listen to that either. icon_lol

Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: March 30, 2007, 12:32:19 AM »

Yeah, sorry... Can't say I noticed any "squirming" either on the podcast. I suppose one hears what they want to hear.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 30, 2007, 12:33:58 AM »

Quote from: Hetz on March 30, 2007, 12:23:42 AM

Let me know when that insomniac guy has a podcast, k? Then I will not want to listen to that either. icon_lol

http://www.insomniacgames.com/podcast/podcast.php

icon_wink
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 30, 2007, 12:35:05 AM »

Quote from: Hetz on March 30, 2007, 12:23:42 AM

Yeah, what he said!

Oh wait...

Whatever. I honestly find this whole thread very amusing.  Let me know when that insomniac guy has a podcast, k? Then I will not want to listen to that either. icon_lol

Actually Insomniac does have a podcast.  It's not bad either.

edit.  Damn you and your fast typing skills Kevin Grey  icon_lol
« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 12:37:23 AM by denoginizer » Logged

Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 30, 2007, 12:36:12 AM »

HEY HETZ:

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 30, 2007, 03:30:10 PM »

I'd like HDMI and all, but then I'd have to buy a HDMI splitter which would make it cost more.  I can live with component for now.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 30, 2007, 04:52:32 PM »

Quote from: Captain Caveman on March 30, 2007, 12:36:12 AM

OMGHI2U!!!!

I had no idea they had a podcast....but now I will not listen to it either, if it is just a fluff piece for the PS3 and they rip on the 360, like Major's is for the 360.

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 30, 2007, 06:37:17 PM »

All I can say is that this move will do nothing to help Microsoft garner casual gamer support, something Peter Moore stated was a key Microsoft goal no less than a month ago. All the casual gamer is going to read from the announcement is that there's another console with a price tag in the extreme echelon that the PS3 now inhabits.

I'll wager that come year end M$ is going to regret this when they look at their overall sales. I had been fully expecting Wii sales to dip significantly in the 3rd quarter, but I'll bet this announcement helps Nintendo maintain consistent numbers. Trust M$ to get sucked into a feature war with Sony; it's as if they think the console game is another version of MS Office Suite vs Corel Office Suite.

In regards to the rumours that the core will be cancelled, it's interesting to note that Future Shop has dropped the price of the 360 core to $349 CDN for the next week. I can only speculate as to whether they're attempting to clear out last remaining stock or to combat negative impact from the Elite announcement.
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 30, 2007, 06:43:09 PM »

Hang on, you missed a few.  I'll help:

Quote from: kronovan on March 30, 2007, 06:37:17 PM

All I can say is that this move will do nothing to help Micro$oft garner casual gamer support, something $$Peter$$Moore$$ stated was a key Micro$oft goal no less than a month ago. All the casual gamer is going to read from the announcement is that there's another console with a price tag in the extreme echelon that the PS3 now inhabits.

I'll wager that come year end M$ is going to regret this when they look at their overall sales. I had been fully expecting Wii sales to dip significantly in the 3rd quarter, but I'll bet this announcement helps Nintendo maintain consistent numbers. Trust M$ to get sucked into a feature war with Sony; it's as if they think the console game is another version of M$ Office Suite vs Corel Office Suite.

In regards to the rumours that the core will be cancelled, it's interesting to note that Future Shop has dropped the price of the 360 core to $349 CDN for the next week. I can only speculate as to whether they're attempting to clear out last remaining stock or to combat negative impact from the Elite announcement.

Okay - go ahead.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 30, 2007, 06:50:57 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on March 30, 2007, 06:43:09 PM

Hang on, you missed a few.  I'll help:

All I can say is that this move will do nothing to help Micro$oft garner casual gamer support, something $$Peter$$Moore$$ stated was a key Micro$oft goal no less than a month ago. All the casual gamer is going to read from the announcement is that there's another console with a price tag in the extreme echelon that the PS3 now inhabits.

I'll wager that come year end M$ is going to regret this when they look at their overall sales. I had been fully expecting Wii sales to dip significantly in the 3rd quarter, but I'll bet this announcement helps Nintendo maintain consistent numbers. Trust M$ to get sucked into a feature war with Sony; it's as if they think the console game is another version of M$ Office Suite vs Corel Office Suite.

Okay - go ahead.

Heh, heh...Yah I like it better that way. Ironically the announcement of the Elite is probably going to result in -$$$-
« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 06:59:01 PM by kronovan » Logged
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 31, 2007, 02:43:20 PM »

Well I went ahead and purchased another X360 (the elite isn't that elite to me) at Best Buy yesterday and did the smart thing by getting a 2 year replacement plan and thank god I did that too.

I get my brand spanking new X360 home and unpackaged everything, connected all the cables, and powered her up. So far everything is great until I try to use the interwebs. Hrm...

Network device not found...

So I check everything, ethernet cable works, my modem is okay, so it must be the NIC card on the X360. I call Xbox and lo and behold...

The network card is broken. Not working. Brand new XBOX360 is NOT working right out of the box. Microsoft offers to replace the unit but I decline their offer since it'll only take me about 20 minutes to get to Best Buy and pick up a new unit.

So I get to Best Buy, they verify the problem, hand me a new X360 and I'm out the door. Wow, that was painless.

When I got home with my 4th X360 I was actually laughing at how fucked up this is. I've got it bad to go through all this shit just to play games. If anyone every says I'm not a gamer I'll kick them in the balls and call the bad names.

The good news is that the 4th time is a charm and thus far my new X360 is working great.

For now.

So I'm back but without any games except for what's on the arcade. Crackdown is fun yes? Wha about GRAW2? Do any of you play GRAW2?

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: March 31, 2007, 05:43:13 PM »

Crackdown is fun yes? Wha about GRAW2? Do any of you play GRAW2?
Yes, and yes. smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Vikki
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 31, 2007, 05:53:48 PM »

All I can say is that this move will do nothing to help Microsoft garner casual gamer support, something Peter Moore stated was a key Microsoft goal no less than a month ago. All the casual gamer is going to read from the announcement is that there's another console with a price tag in the extreme echelon that the PS3 now inhabits.

I'll wager that come year end M$ is going to regret this when they look at their overall sales. I had been fully expecting Wii sales to dip significantly in the 3rd quarter, but I'll bet this announcement helps Nintendo maintain consistent numbers. Trust M$ to get sucked into a feature war with Sony; it's as if they think the console game is another version of MS Office Suite vs Corel Office Suite.

I totally agree
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 31, 2007, 06:03:33 PM »

Spar- GRAW2, much fun, you should get it.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 31, 2007, 06:57:26 PM »

Quote from: Jarrodhk on March 31, 2007, 06:03:33 PM

Spar- GRAW2, much fun, you should get it.
Favorite 360 game of the year for me. Played about 5 mp matches this morning. Maybe KD will play some coop with me later  icon_wink
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 31, 2007, 07:38:39 PM »

Okay i'll pick up GRAW2 and Crackdown.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: