http://gamingtrend.com
July 28, 2014, 10:42:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Well Ebgames really has lost me as a customer....  (Read 2087 times)
msduncan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« on: December 15, 2005, 07:46:18 PM »

I'll bite the leather strap and wait a couple days for releases from now on from Best Buy.

I just asked about my preorder based on the information that 300K additional 360's are shipping this week, and they told me that preorders won't begin to be filled until late January.

They must have utterly oversold beyond comprehension.    M$ and Ebgames both are on my crapola list right now.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2005, 07:54:28 PM »

msduncan sorry to see that you still aren't having luck with the 360 search, but Circuit City has there bundles up

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2005, 08:08:32 PM »

Quote from: "msduncan"
I'll bite the leather strap and wait a couple days for releases from now on from Best Buy.

I just asked about my preorder based on the information that 300K additional 360's are shipping this week, and they told me that preorders won't begin to be filled until late January.

They must have utterly oversold beyond comprehension.    M$ and Ebgames both are on my crapola list right now.

For reasons I can't fathom, EBGames and Gamestop are both getting jack squat as far as resupplies go. I talked to my 'contact' inside my local Gamestop a few weeks back, and he told me they're expecting exactly one reshipment between now and the end of the year (and it's due next week I think).

Overall, I have no idea why Microsoft is shunning EBGames/Gamestop so much. I really don't.

And remember - Best Buy is gonna get a resupply on Sunday (the 18th). Start camping now. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2005, 08:09:57 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"

For reasons I can't fathom, EBGames and Gamestop are both getting jack squat as far as resupplies go. I talked to my 'contact' inside my local Gamestop a few weeks back, and he told me they're expecting exactly one reshipment between now and the end of the year (and it's due next week I think).

Overall, I have no idea why Microsoft is shunning EBGames/Gamestop so much. I really don't.

It may very well be because they oversold so much...
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2005, 08:19:25 PM »

I'm still looking for you!!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2005, 08:29:54 PM »

Quote from: "Devil"
I'm still looking for you!!

Thanks!!! <3
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2005, 08:32:40 PM »

That 300k number is not confirmed so I wouldn't blame anyone if those numbers don't show up.  

Regardless of what you were told, no one at the store level knows what's going on because they aren't being told.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
tcweidner
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2005, 08:52:28 PM »

Consoles themselves are always tricky because NOONE makes any money on them.  I owned a game store back in the late 80 early 90s, so I have first hand knowledge of this. First off microsoft or Sony or whoever actually loses money on each one they sell, yep these things cost as much if not more for them to make and ship then it does for you to buy, with that being said, there is NO margin what so ever.

These $250 games are probably coming in at 234 cost.  Yep stores make a big 15 bucks on a 250 dollar sale. Thats a 6% profit margin, that blows and noone can make a living with those margins except huge warehouse stores (best buy/circuit city/walhell etc), SO consoles are a product that you dont really want to keep a warehouse full of if you are a smaller retailer. Basically EB/Gamespot only sell them so that you may end up buying the games there too.  Software is where the money* is. (* mark up for new games is only around 33% which kinda sucks too- only way these stores (EB/Gamespot)stay in business is because of used games- market up there is HUGE)

So anyway, I am not to shocked that the big retailers are getting them over the more genre specific ones.  Best Buys/etc  live on volume, so of course thats where the majority will end up at the beginning.

Project Reindeer Games- Exclusive Family Friendly PC Games to Give, Play, and Share for Free.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2005, 09:07:41 PM »

Quote from: "tcweidner"
 Software is where the money* is. (* mark up for new games is only around 33% which kinda sucks too- only way these stores (EB/Gamespot)stay in business is because of used games- market up there is HUGE)

So anyway, I am not to shocked that the big retailers are getting them over the more genre specific ones.  Best Buys/etc  live on volume, so of course thats where the majority will end up at the beginning.

Actually, the markup on new software is worse now.  The average $50 game costs $42.50 for the retailer.

As for resupply, I don't think that anyone is getting a better deal based on volume, though it is possible that MS is prioritizing based on attach rate.  There's still time for GS/EB to get a major resupply, but we'll have to see.

- American Dad
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2005, 09:48:57 PM »

Actually, a BB manager told me that they were pushing "extras" - games, controllers, etc. on launch day - and that was what would determine how much else they were sent later.  She was not pushy, just encouraging, and had been honest with me before, so I have no reason to doubt that it was either true, or she at least thought so...  for whatever that info is worth!  :lol:

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2005, 10:08:54 PM »

*conspiracy theory* !!!

okay youve been warned, how bout this one...

microsoft knows the geeks and gamers that preordered at ebgames, gamestop etc are going to get an xbox360, come on, we buy em all!  BUT the average consumer who is probably much more likely to be holiday shopping at a best buy or cc for their electronics will be more exposed to the new shipments.  how many people visit a small game shop? how many visit large electronics retailers?  and arent the people in the small game shop probably going to get your ubersystem anyway?

oh, and there was in fact a second gunman...
continue thread as normal
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2005, 12:05:18 AM »

Quote from: "Sarkus"
That 300k number is not confirmed so I wouldn't blame anyone if those numbers don't show up.  

Regardless of what you were told, no one at the store level knows what's going on because they aren't being told.

My Gamestop told me that they're getting under 10 in their 'second' shipment. And at last check (when I was told the shipment info), there were still 77 preorders on file.

And the store got a whopping 14 when it first came out.

So...why are the Best Buys, Circuit Cities, and CompUSA getting all the consoles, but the 'dedicated' gaming stores aren't?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2005, 12:06:28 AM »

I also checked with my local Electronics Boutique about the status of the 360 preorder I made in early July.  I'm currently listed as about the fourtieth person in line which is just about exactly where I was 2.5 weeks ago.  frown

-Autistic Angel
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2005, 01:05:48 AM »

My Gamestop told me that they're getting under 10 in their 'second' shipment. And at last check (when I was told the shipment info), there were still 77 preorders on file.

And the store got a whopping 14 when it first came out.

So...why are the Best Buys, Circuit Cities, and CompUSA getting all the consoles, but the 'dedicated' gaming stores aren't?

Thats sounds normal when you take into account how many stores sell the things. There are thousands of stores out there when you add up all the Targets, Walmarts, BB, gamestops etc up.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2005, 04:00:22 AM »

Quote from: "Jumangi"
Thats sounds normal when you take into account how many stores sell the things. There are thousands of stores out there when you add up all the Targets, Walmarts, BB, gamestops etc up.

But my question still stands - why haven't EBGames/Gamestop gotten a restock yet? Why is it waiting for the last few days before Christmas to get a trickle of units in? Especially considering that those stores were the only ones (to my knowledge anyway) to allow preorders of the consoles in the first place?

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2005, 04:56:01 AM »

Because they make more money by selling bundles online for overinflated prices than they do by people who bought preorders.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2005, 05:20:59 AM »

Quote from: "Turtle"
Because they make more money by selling bundles online for overinflated prices than they do by people who bought preorders.

Winnar.

gellar
StitchJones
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2005, 05:49:30 AM »

EXACTLY!  Gamestop and EB ARE getting more units, but instead of shipping them out to stores for all the preorders they took, they figured they could make a lot more money by selling bundled preorders online for $1000 and $1500.  it's sickening really, and the reason i have decided not to give them anymore of my money.  It's all Best Buy/Circuit City/Target and the like for me now.  I can wait a few extra days for a store to get games instead of preordring from the likes of Gamestop and EB.  They have totally lost my business and the business of a lot of my friends for the way they handled this.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2005, 06:38:29 AM »

And remember - Best Buy is gonna get a resupply on Sunday (the 18th). Start camping now. biggrin

EB and Gamestop were told to stop pre-selling and they didn't for a while afterwards.  They oversold and now they are making you, the customer, pay for it.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2005, 08:16:43 AM »

Quote from: "Doopri"
*conspiracy theory* !!!

okay youve been warned, how bout this one...

microsoft knows the geeks and gamers that preordered at ebgames, gamestop etc are going to get an xbox360, come on, we buy em all!  BUT the average consumer who is probably much more likely to be holiday shopping at a best buy or cc for their electronics will be more exposed to the new shipments.  how many people visit a small game shop? how many visit large electronics retailers?  and arent the people in the small game shop probably going to get your ubersystem anyway?

oh, and there was in fact a second gunman...
continue thread as normal

Actually, a guy at MS told me that's exactly what the thinking is.  Basically, they figure that the hardcore gamers that pre-ordered at the specialty places will still buy one regardless of how they are treated so they are favoring the mass-market retailers.  

It makes sense in a way.  The original XBox did very well in the specialty retailers but struggled to reach the mass market.  This time they are willing to risk alienating some of the hard core fans if they can achieve more elsewhere.

On top of that, the EB/GS merger may be a factor as well.  It's been implied that the big companies in the game industry weren't exactly happy with the merger since it creates a company with 25% new product market share (with implied leverage) who is also the dominant force in the used market.  

If that's the case, don't be suprised if Best Buy quietly drops the used product experiment sometime in the next few months.  They had to have promised MS something to get the special treatment on the XB 360.

- American Dad
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2005, 08:32:42 AM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"

EB and Gamestop were told to stop pre-selling and they didn't for a while afterwards.  They oversold and now they are making you, the customer, pay for it.

At the GameStop annual manager's conference in September, I and other store managers were told by a member of the XB 360 team (not a merchandising rep) that we would receive "90%" of our pre-order numbers on day one.  We were still doing reservations at that time. I don't see why they would say that if they didn't want us to do pre-orders anymore.

To date my store has received less than 30% of our total pre-order numbers.

More than likely when MS realized launch numbers were not going to meet earlier projections they had to make a decision on how to distribute what stock they had.  For whatever reason (see my earlier post) they have put GameStop and EB on the back burner.

Personally, I don't care what they think about GameStop or EB or the pre-orders.  The reality is that those most of the customers getting screwed in this are the ones most loyal to Microsoft in that they were willing to put down $50 or more months in advance of the launch.  In my mind those should be more important customers to Microsoft than someone who decided on the last day to stand in line outside Best Buy and then sold the system they bought on Ebay for 100% or more in profit.

- American Dad
adamsappel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2005, 01:40:30 PM »

True, but I highly doubt that Microsoft told EB/Gamestop that their stores would be getting single-digit shipments of consoles and wouldn't be resupplied until after the Christmas shopping season was well over. Something has seriously broken down in the chain, whether it's in manufacturing or maybe even relations between the companies. Is Microsoft flexing some muscle? The latest rumor I've heard is that a Gamestop executive, after the EB merger, HALVED their orders figuring many people pre-ordered at both stores.

Xbox Live Gamertag: adamsappel
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2005, 02:13:02 PM »

Once again - my store filled its initial preorders before the first of August. Did Microsoft tell them to stop taking preorders at that point? Apparently not according to Sarkus.

And here's a random question - can you preorder the PS3 or Revolution yet? biggrin
If anything, this 'experience' has taught me that I need to preorder new consoles the day they become available in order to actually get one 6 months later.

HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2005, 02:46:47 PM »

I said screw it, I bout mine on Ebay so i can enjoy it over the Xmas holiday... I paid about $100.00 over sticker but I got weary of the hunt.. I preordered in September and my Gamestop got 4 in...

Im just glad its over for me... Im preordering 10 ps3 on the first day. smile Ill get my 100$ back

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2005, 02:48:56 PM »

This really disgusts me.    I'm outraged for the first time in months.   Truly outraged.

:x  :x  :x  :x  :x
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2005, 03:07:09 PM »

Quote from: "HankRaptor"
I said screw it, I bout mine on Ebay so i can enjoy it over the Xmas holiday... I paid about $100.00 over sticker but I got weary of the hunt.. I preordered in September and my Gamestop got 4 in...

Im just glad its over for me... Im preordering 10 ps3 on the first day. smile Ill get my 100$ back

I just did the same. I caved yesterday afternoon and bought a costco PGR3 bundle off a local guy selling them on ebay. I would have bought all the individual items of the bundle anyway, so all in all I'm guessing I paid $125-150 more to relieve the considerable frustration I was feeling from the search.
The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2005, 03:17:52 PM »

This really disgusts me.    I'm outraged for the first time in months.   Truly outraged.

:x  :x  :x  :x  :x

Don't give up...keep checking Wal Marts.  Someone said that Wal Mart would be getting a bunch in between now and Christmas.  One Wal MArt got in 48 yesterday and it took 4 hours for them to sell them all.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2005, 03:27:13 PM »

[Actually, a guy at MS told me that's exactly what the thinking is.  Basically, they figure that the hardcore gamers that pre-ordered at the specialty places will still buy one regardless of how they are treated so they are favoring the mass-market retailers.  

It makes sense in a way.  The original XBox did very well in the specialty retailers but struggled to reach the mass market.  This time they are willing to risk alienating some of the hard core fans if they can achieve more elsewhere.

That makes no sense to me.  My understanding is that they are essentially selling the console as a loss-leader, with the money actually being made on the software sales.  Aren't the hard-core gamers that ones that will end up buying the most games to cover that gap?  I have a hard time seeing Susie Soccermom spending nearly as much money on games as Joe Fanboy would.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2005, 05:11:43 PM »

Xbox 360 Premium is in stock online at Best Buy Canada website. I wouldn't lose hope yet in getting one before Xmas.
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2005, 06:14:08 PM »

msduncan, I recommend you try some GameCrazy's if you have Hollywood video anywhere nearby.  I was talking to the clerk at my local GC, and he was remarking on how well treated they were in regards to stocking of the 360s in comparison to EB and Gamestop.  They were expecting some this week for sure.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2005, 06:26:04 PM »

Quote from: "Gratch"
[Actually, a guy at MS told me that's exactly what the thinking is.  Basically, they figure that the hardcore gamers that pre-ordered at the specialty places will still buy one regardless of how they are treated so they are favoring the mass-market retailers.  

That makes no sense to me.  My understanding is that they are essentially selling the console as a loss-leader, with the money actually being made on the software sales.  Aren't the hard-core gamers that ones that will end up buying the most games to cover that gap?  I have a hard time seeing Susie Soccermom spending nearly as much money on games as Joe Fanboy would.

No, it is in their best interest to sell to the broadest audience possible - games and accessories are how they make money, but they will sell more in the long term by a lot of people buying a few games as opposed to just the "hardcore" buying a lot of games.

Look at the current landscape - MS has sold 20 million consoles, the PS2 has sold 100 million units (these are very rough estimates for illustration purposes).  That's 5 games that need to be sold for each Xbox for every one game that sells for the PS2 - a pretty significant difference.  Only the hardest of the hardcore buy games at a 5:1 ratio compared to your "average" gamer.

(Yes, I realize some people here probably do buy that many - but you are the exception, not the rule smile )
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: