http://gamingtrend.com
August 22, 2014, 06:02:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Weekend Recap 29/Jan/07  (Read 1683 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: January 29, 2007, 01:06:50 PM »

Got in a bit of COD2 friday night, and the game has grown on me.

The worst campaign is the first, that being Stalingrad.  The British missions are fun, challenging and well thoughtout.  I'm on the first Hill 400 mission and so far that's a hoot too.  Overall this game rates a high B, but if I had quit after/during the Stalingrad missions, I would have come away with a wrong impression. Glad I kept going...(KG  icon_wink)

Also had a bit of time with Hotel Dusk.  Still not very far.

I ended up bringing my DS on the trip, but so far have been reading The Hobbit instead.  Groovy!
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 01:36:19 PM »

I played another mission in Marvel UA with my son, participated in the Gears multi on Friday night, and spent the rest of my gaming time with Europa Universalis 3.

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 01:47:46 PM »

As planned, I did indeed finish Majora's Mask.  Otherwise I spent a lot of of time with Hotel Dusk (I just made it to Chapter 7).  Also played about an hour of Link to the Past on VC.  All of that was in the late evenings, however, since I had a busier weekend than expected since I ended up buying two new TVs (42" and 61" DLPs) which was NOT planned at the beginning of the weekend. 

Quote from: ATB on January 29, 2007, 01:06:50 PM

Overall this game rates a high B, but if I had quit after/during the Stalingrad missions, I would have come away with a wrong impression. Glad I kept going...(KG  icon_wink)

Hey, you won't hear any complaints from me- I've been a defender of "slow starters" for years now (though when it's a 10 hour game like CoD2...).  But IIRC it was BFME2 that you were mainly complaining about...
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 02:25:01 PM »

I repurchased Oblivion with the Knights of the Nine expansion and messed around with that for a bit.  Much of it reminded me why I quit playing in the first place (good lord, the dungeons & monsters are repetitive), but I like a couple of the new quests.  Trying to decide if I want to keep playing with my existing character (about 40 hours in, main storyline completed) or start over with someone new.  Or if I even want to bother messing with it until the expansion.

Also started up Diablo II again, for the umpteenth time.  Playing as a Paladin this time, which I haven't done before.  Y'know, I've seen everything in that game a million times before, but it just never gets old.   I think I may have put more time into DII than any other game I've ever played. 

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2007, 02:27:57 PM »

Made some decent progress on Just Cause, broke my perfect 10k gamerscore... also picked up Hotel Dusk for DS, just getting started on that.. not sure how much I like it yet.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Austin

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2007, 02:43:20 PM »

Got in some GoW time.  I hit a frustrating spot where I'll probably recruit someone with coop to help me through it. Tongue

At the end of Act 4
Spoiler for Hiden:
You have to make it to the APC before some big mech'ish looking locust goes smashy smashy.  The problem is there are a few boomers and other guys around.  If you kill 2 boomers you get a 25 second clock.  Every mad dash I make I either wind up taking cover by mistake and getting nailed... or just getting nailed.  It wouldn't be as bad but you have to go back a little ways and clear out some easy junk to make it back to that spot.  I tried it about a dozen times before hanging it up for now.  So... anyone want to do some co-op?  biggrin
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2007, 03:01:30 PM »

Quote from: Austin on January 29, 2007, 02:43:20 PM

Got in some GoW time.  I hit a frustrating spot where I'll probably recruit someone with coop to help me through it. Tongue

At the end of Act 4
Spoiler for Hiden:
You have to make it to the APC before some big mech'ish looking locust goes smashy smashy.  The problem is there are a few boomers and other guys around.  If you kill 2 boomers you get a 25 second clock.  Every mad dash I make I either wind up taking cover by mistake and getting nailed... or just getting nailed.  It wouldn't be as bad but you have to go back a little ways and clear out some easy junk to make it back to that spot.  I tried it about a dozen times before hanging it up for now.  So... anyone want to do some co-op?  biggrin

I'll be online tonight if you want to clear that spot Austin.  Gamertag in my sig. smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2007, 03:08:52 PM »

Finally sat down and played through a good chunk of Final Fantasy XII this weekend and when I finished last night I had just picked up Balthier and Fran which means I'm pretty much just starting. But after getting the hang of the game and the controls I have to say I'm loving it thus far. Very immersive battle system since it keeps everything in-game without kicking you into the standard FF combat screen. thumbsup thumbsup

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2007, 03:20:40 PM »

Got stuck on the freaking Giant Bee in Lost Planet for a total of like 4-6 hours now. I still have not cleared it even after watching the Gamespot Video.
So I spent the rest of the weekend playing Crackdown Demo.

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›
PS3 Spinks
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2007, 03:22:49 PM »

Ummm..... I played the Crackdown demo through one more time on Saturday night.  I don't think I touched anything else gaming wise all weekend- I wanted to but just couldn't get motivated enough to pick one.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2007, 03:26:35 PM »

I was STILL unsuccessful in finding somebody to play the Crackdown demo co-op with.  frown   crybaby

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2007, 03:35:14 PM »

I was STILL unsuccessful in getting the Crackdown demo to download.  frown  So instead I played a whole lot of a certain MMO beta that was in Stress Test this weekend and enjoyed that. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2007, 03:35:35 PM »

Played Guitar Hero and Guitar Hero 2 for quite awhile I still can't finish Freebird, Six, and Jordan on expert though.  I rented FEAR for the 360 and I am loving it.  It really is a good game but the coridoor crawling is getting a little old, too bad there are not more environments.  The action is good and the story decent.
Played about 2 hours of Metroid Prime and then about an hour of Jewel Quest Solitaire.  

CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2007, 03:46:22 PM »

Spent Saturday morning playing through the single-player of Wario Ware: Smooth Moves to unlock the multi-player for that evening.

Saturday night saw my wife, whiteboyskim, Frog's Honey, FireballKM and I all playing Wii Sports and Wario Ware for several hours... There are now two more households joining the Wii hunt.  icon_wink

On Sunday, Fireball helped the wife and unlock all the multi-player games in Wario Ware before he headed back to Austin.

That afternoon I played some Marvel: Ultimate Alliance on the Wii, and so far I'm not impressed. Oddly enough, I think the Wii control scheme might hurt this particular game. I plan to give it a bit more time today and see if it's something I want to finish before returning it to Blockbuster.

The wife and I got in a little more Wii Sports (two new records for the wife) while waiting for Battlestar Galactica to come on.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2007, 03:46:54 PM »

Played Guitar Hero and Guitar Hero 2 for quite awhile I still can't finish Freebird, Six, and Jordan on expert though. 

I am working my way through hard so you are still ahead of me. smile

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Austin

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2007, 03:47:55 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on January 29, 2007, 03:01:30 PM

Quote from: Austin on January 29, 2007, 02:43:20 PM

At the end of Act 4
Spoiler for Hiden:

I'll be online tonight if you want to clear that spot Austin.  Gamertag in my sig. smile
You mean people have sigs turned on?   slywink  I'll check and see if I've added you or not.  I get confused when people's monikers here don't match the XBL tag.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2007, 03:54:56 PM »

-Played through the 7th chapter of Condemned on the 360.  I stopped at that point.  The game is OK but the melee fighting gets very repetitive and the story didn't keep my interest enough to keep going.  I may finish it one day, but there are too many other games in my backlog to keep playing if I'm not enjoying it.

-Started up Marvel Ultimate Alliance on the 360.  I just killed the second boss.  The game is enjoyable in a cheesy comic sort of way.  You are saving the word every 20 minutes  icon_biggrin  But the combat and different mixes of heroes has been pretty fun so far. 

-Played through the 1st act of Diablo 2 on Battlenet with the wife. 

« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 04:38:35 PM by denoginizer » Logged

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2007, 04:02:33 PM »

I finished Final Fantasy III for the DS this weekend. Great game. I was obsessed over getting each character to max out at least one job before the end of the game. One nice end-game feature is that instead of a New Game+, you can make a final save which restarts the game at the entrance to the final dungeon, so you can go back and catch any missed sidequests.

I also spent a good amount of time on Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney. I finished Day 2 of the fourth case. Some great humor in the game, "I tried reading the law book and it made my head hurt. The book slipped out of my hand. Then my foot hurt."

depward

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2007, 04:32:31 PM »

Didn't have a whole lot of gaming time this weekend, but I did get to the end boss in Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin, renewed my Animal Crossing addiction, played a bit of Lumines Live (how the heck do I get 500k points?!  It took me 45 mins to get 100k and I lost... and I have played a lot of Lumines for the PSP, but wowsers), and played some DJ Max Portable in anticipation of the sequel.

And I played some Wiiiiiiiii

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2007, 04:37:42 PM »

Quote from: depward on January 29, 2007, 04:32:31 PM

Didn't have a whole lot of gaming time this weekend, but I did get to the end boss in Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin, renewed my Animal Crossing addiction, played a bit of Lumines Live (how the heck do I get 500k points?!  It took me 45 mins to get 100k and I lost... and I have played a lot of Lumines for the PSP, but wowsers), and played some DJ Max Portable in anticipation of the sequel.

Your story reminds me - at the launch event for the 360 I watched J Allard pull off over 1,000,000 points in Geometry Wars without dying.  I can't break 200k without dying....I suck. frown

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2007, 04:41:02 PM »

played some more of kingdom hearts 2...i am up to,er ..just done pirates of the caribbean world for the second time,having to collect all the medallions of the boss,quite tricky but i got it in the end...level 38 at the moment

started metal gear solid:the twin snakes for the gamecube,on the Wii

and also after playing mario kart 64 on VC i went out and bought mario kart DS,pretty good

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2007, 07:45:46 PM »

I picked up Project Gotham 3... had a GREAT time buying tons of cars.. Nice Game.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2007, 09:43:36 PM »

I finished MUA on Saturday...finally.  I am also up to what I believe to be the last level in EBA at 2star difficulty.  Played a little CoH online Friday...poorly.  Also checked out the Midway and Crackdown demos.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Dramatist
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2007, 11:01:49 PM »

I had a breakthrough weekend.  I didn't have much time to game, but I did pass Canned Heat on three star in Elite Beat Agents.  I might unlock 4 star yet.  icon_biggrin
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2007, 12:46:20 AM »

Played a little bit of the EU3 demo and Still Life on the PC.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2007, 02:49:33 AM »

Played a TON of NBA2K7, did some random PC stuff, finished up Freespace 2 last week during the week, played some Saints Row again (meh), Lost Planet (MEEEH), and watched a lot of dvds.
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2007, 02:51:51 AM »

Pathetically, I didn't accomplish any of my gaming plans, but still bought another game:  Hotel Dusk.  I harassed a ten year old on the hotel stairs and bent a paper clip prior to running into the world's least professional bellhop.
Austin

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2007, 03:55:46 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on January 29, 2007, 03:46:54 PM

Thanks!  Took what, 2 minutes?   retard

icon_biggrin
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2007, 06:01:29 PM »

All I can say is that I played way, way, way too much Star Ocean; what a great game! But I still did manage to get a bit of gameplay in on Doom 3 and Red Steel.
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2007, 11:05:13 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on January 29, 2007, 04:37:42 PM

Quote from: depward on January 29, 2007, 04:32:31 PM

Your story reminds me - at the launch event for the 360 I watched J Allard pull off over 1,000,000 points in Geometry Wars without dying.  I can't break 200k without dying....I suck. frown

Yeah, the 1mil pts without dying is one of the achievements I don't have for Geometry wars.  I can score over a million... but I usually die around 150k-200k the first time.  Also the reason I don't have the multitastic achievement.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: