http://gamingtrend.com
July 31, 2014, 01:58:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Weekend Recap 12/Feb/07  (Read 2206 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: February 12, 2007, 01:04:19 PM »

And now for Weekend Playlist's underappreciated stepbrother: The Weekend Recap!

Had a pretty good weekend, unexpectedly:

Gears of War friday night was a blast.  New thread for this week is already up!  Everyone for the most part had a lot kills and there were fantastic momentum swings.

Also spent a lot of time with Hotel Dusk.  I'm not sure about this game.  It is compelling, but still, even though I'm in chapter 7, it feels slow to develop. Great characters, relatively interesting plot lines, fine setting, but the pacing seems to be slow.  Yet I press on because it is...neat.  What I'd like to see next is a prequel that shows the events leading up to Hyde's search....his time on the force. His early encounters with Louie (my favorite character), etc.

Finally, got in about 2 hrs with God of War and I absolutely see why this game took everyone by storm. It does so many things right.  I've not yet reached the part with the insta death- and am bracing for it- but I will definitely be getting the sequel. 
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2007, 01:25:14 PM »

I made very little progress in Rainbow Six, there are some balls arse hard spots you have to get your team through. I did play with my PSP some. Pirates! is an awesome game for the handheld.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2007, 01:31:10 PM »

Zelda - the Twilight Princess (Wii) is now done and returned to blockbuster. (64 hours; had 10 poes to go, 17 hearts, and 8 bugs left to find. All bottles, bags, and upgrades save the wallet. Completed first 10 levels for the Cave of Ordeals just to get the fairies at the fountain).

I played a litte Tetris Worlds on the GBA for shits-n-giggles.

No other gaming for me.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2007, 01:47:42 PM »

Nice gaming weekend here.

Finished up Trace Memory.  A nice enjoyable 7.5 hours and well worth the $8.00 I paid for it.

Then I moved on to Lunar Knights and put about 2.5 hours into it.  Really good so far and gameplay concepts are still being revealed. 

Spent several hours playing Rogue Galaxy.  Made it a ways into Chapter 4
Spoiler for Hiden:
Prison Escape
and realized out that while I am very much enjoying RG, I was enjoying FFXII even more when I put it aside 45 hours into the game during the onslaught of holiday titles.  So, with that realization and inspired by Calvin's thread, I've put RG on the backburner for now and started up playing Final Fantasy XII again.  Rewatched some cinematics online to re familiarize myself with what was happening in the story and then put a good 3-4 hours of playtime into that.   

And in non-gaming stuff, frustrated by the poor reception of some of our OTA HDTV channels, I rewired the connection between my antenna and TV (a bear of a job since the design of my house makes running wire very, very difficult) and am estatic that I now have a perfect HD picture on every single one of the broadcast networks. 
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2007, 01:52:36 PM »

Put 6 hours into Final Fantasy VI Advance.  This is the first time I've played it, and am quickly realizing why everyone was so gaga over this game 13 years ago.  I'm usually not one that enjoys "old-school" RPG's, but FFVI is an absolute joy to play.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2007, 01:53:18 PM »

Played plenty of Brain Age and Castlevania for my DS Lite (My Fair Lady and I really need to knock out Phoenix Wright at some point) then some Wii Sports and even a little bit of LEGO Star Wars late last night. I found it funny how Episode II completely blew past practically 75% of the movie proving yet again how empty the first two prequels are. icon_wink

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2007, 02:48:16 PM »

I had a nice Gears of War marathon with the crew on Friday night.  My skills are slowly getting better...slowly.

Played some more Tomb Raider: Legends yesterday as well.  I'm having a great time with it.  But I do feel a little awkward since she sort of gives me funny feelings.  paranoid
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2007, 02:59:43 PM »

I played Vanguard. Hours and hours and hours of Vanguard. Had fun too!
warning

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2007, 03:24:33 PM »

I played Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter.  14 hours or so into it and it just gets better.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2007, 03:31:00 PM »

I played a couple of hours of Vanguard (mainly soloing-  it appears none of the guild has characters near the Dark Elf starting area  icon_wink) and gave GoW SP another shot  disgust  I also located The Longest Journey at Half Priced books and started it up to give it another shot.  I also caught up on my DVR recordings and watched more of Alias season 2 (completing phase one  icon_smile)

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2007, 03:34:24 PM »

Quote from: Jancelot on February 12, 2007, 02:48:16 PM

Played some more Tomb Raider: Legends yesterday as well.  I'm having a great time with it.  But I do feel a little awkward since she sort of gives me funny feelings.  paranoid

Oh great. CK, you're on duty for the "new hair growing in different places" talk. I had to explain it to ATB. disgust

Oh, and CK, how do you feel about getting some Co-op GoW on Insane? I need to finish those achievements.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2007, 03:48:14 PM »

Quote from: Purge on February 12, 2007, 03:34:24 PM

Quote from: Jancelot on February 12, 2007, 02:48:16 PM

Oh great. CK, you're on duty for the "new hair growing in different places" talk. I had to explain it to ATB. disgust

Oh, and CK, how do you feel about getting some Co-op GoW on Insane? I need to finish those achievements.

Righto.  Jancie-  it's called puberty and you'll notice your voice changing and yo-  aww screw it I'm feeling lazy.  I'll do the common parenting thing and let someone else teach you-  just read thisicon_twisted

As for GoW I'm kinda disgusted with the game right now so I'm going to put it up for a bit.  Thanks for the offer though.

Because I can,
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2007, 04:06:08 PM »

I put several hours into Romance of the Three Kingdoms 11.  There are still many areas for me to test, but I think this may be the best game in the series yet. I love the new cell shaded look, the AI seems better than the last two installments, and it definitely has a much more user-friendly interface. They've taken away some of the RPG elements and moved the game back toward its strategy roots, but interaction with officers still plays a central role in the core gameplay.

I also spent more time with Hotel Dusk. This is just a fabulous game that I'm glad I gave a chance. The first hour didn't grab me, but since then it has improved in almost every way.
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2007, 04:29:02 PM »

On Friday night I managed to hold my own in the Gears of War get-together, until my internet connection crapped out and I was unable to get back online.  I tried resetting my router and testing the connection with my laptop and would manage to log in for a moment, but then things would crap out again.  I eventually just gave up and went to sleep. 

Over the weekend I had intentions of getting in some time with The Godfather, at least once I got up enough courage to break the news to my wife that I picked up a new game.   ninja  I wound up breaking the news when we had friends over, knowing she wouldn't make a scene in front of guests.   icon_twisted.  However, after Friday night's Gears of War session I didn't have enough time to play a single game for the rest of the weekend.

Instead I spent about 14 hours on Saturday and about 16 hours on Sunday working on our master bedroom closet.  With the in-laws and grand-in-laws coming to visit next weekend, I wanted to have some of the more important home-improvement projects finished before their visit.  I take a lot of pride in our home and look forward to showing it off to our family.  It's our first home and this is the first opportunity our family has had to come see it, and we have put a lot of work into making it a great place to live.  I can't wait to show my wife's parents how much our hard work has paid off.  So, up until this point we've had a mess of a closet in our master bedroom (one long shelf with one clothing rod, all jammed with clothes, boxes, wedding gifts, etc, that we haven't found a place for yet, along with a giant TV just sitting on the floor in the middle of everything).  I moved all of our things out of the closet into the guest room, tore out the existing nightmare of a closet, patched all of the holes and imperfections, sanded and retextured the repaired areas, and then painted everything.  Then the wife and I enlisted the help of a friend and designed a closet system with organizers and shelves that would house our wardrobe and also accomodate our "old" television and associated stand and components.  Tonight we'll work on moving all of our things back into the closet (getting rid of anything we no longer wear or need), and then I'll be able to finish setting up the guest room for my wife's parents.  It was a lot of work (I'd probably be less tired and sore if I played a pick-up game of tackle-football with Brian Dawkins), but the closet looks amazing and our master bedroom is finally starting to come together.  Next on the list is painting the bedroom and hanging artwork and pictures (which wouldn't be so bad if the wife didn't want stripes disgust). 

After we finish putting everything back into our new closet (which is mostly my wife's department), I'll be able to get in some well-earned time with The Godfather.     

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2007, 04:31:46 PM »

Was up in Seattle visiting my brother, but I did get around to playing some Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance, Brain Age & played some co-op Winning Eleven Pro Evolution Soccer 2007.  That was fun!  Also played some Smash Bros.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2007, 05:50:55 PM »

Played some Battlestations Midway.  Discovered that while I've been playing other games, everyyone on live has gotten really really good.  So more people need to play.

Put a goodly amount of time into Rogue Galaxy as well.  Finally finished a super long dungeon.  Now to the next planet.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2007, 08:04:01 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on February 12, 2007, 03:48:14 PM

As for GoW I'm kinda disgusted with the game right now

Why?
JSL

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2007, 08:31:31 PM »

I managed to put a lot of time into Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door. What a great game! I plan to have it finished by the time Super Paper Mario comes out in April, which should not be too difficult a task.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2007, 08:42:20 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on February 12, 2007, 01:47:42 PM

Nice gaming weekend here.

Spent several hours playing Rogue Galaxy.  Made it a ways into Chapter 4
Spoiler for Hiden:
Prison Escape
and realized out that while I am very much enjoying RG, I was enjoying FFXII even more when I put it aside 45 hours into the game during the onslaught of holiday titles.  So, with that realization and inspired by Calvin's thread, I've put RG on the backburner for now and started up playing Final Fantasy XII again.  Rewatched some cinematics online to re familiarize myself with what was happening in the story and then put a good 3-4 hours of playtime into that.   

Mr. Grey, I can honestly tell you in our long association this is the first time I have ever been somewhat disappointed. You never had the opportunity to finish FF12 and waited this long to get back into it? That's almost as bad as someone talking about the game for years, getting it at midnight, and only playing 6 hours until 5 days ago (and who would that be?). Either way I am glad my thread inspired you to go back, because as I found out the last 4 days, FF12 is truly an epic masterpiece. Its a wonderful game, a work of RPG art.

I am also glad that you are enjoying Rogue Galaxy, because I am planning on starting that the day I finish FF12. I loved the demo, and it will be my first real action console RPG.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2007, 08:49:03 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on February 12, 2007, 08:42:20 PM

Mr. Grey, I can honestly tell you in our long association this is the first time I have ever been somewhat disappointed. You never had the opportunity to finish FF12 and waited this long to get back into it? That's almost as bad as someone talking about the game for years, getting it at midnight, and only playing 6 hours until 5 days ago (and who would that be?). Either way I am glad my thread inspired you to go back, because as I found out the last 4 days, FF12 is truly an epic masterpiece. Its a wonderful game, a work of RPG art.

Yeah, the great thing about FFXII was that my "break" from the game wasn't from any sort of burnout which is certainly common around the 40+ hour mark for many games.  I just got distracted so it made me look forward to coming back.

Also, FFXII is one of the best examples of a game that is easy to get back into.  Usually when I try to come back after a  prolonged absence I've forgotten so much about special attacks, spells, intricatsies of the combat system, etc and it's overwhelming.  But with FFXII, all of my old gambits were still in place so I could let it go on autopilot a bit while I caught up. 
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2007, 08:50:22 PM »

I played about 12 hours of Final Fantasy 12, and loved it more every minute. I literally cannot wait to play it after I get some errands done today and that is a rare feeling for me in a game.

I also got about 8 hours of BF 2142. While I still very much enjoy the game and playing it, my lag has been bad this weekend, and I am just not very good at the game which is frustrating for someone who usually is the top few on the leaderboards in most FPS. So my enjoyment is waning a bit.

I finally started a character in NWN2, and found the game still ran poorly on my rig. I still look forward to playing it soon, but only got an hour this weekend.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2007, 08:51:56 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on February 12, 2007, 08:49:03 PM

Quote from: Calvin on February 12, 2007, 08:42:20 PM

Yeah, the great thing about FFXII was that my "break" from the game wasn't from any sort of burnout which is certainly common around the 40+ hour mark for many games.  I just got distracted so it made me look forward to coming back.

Also, FFXII is one of the best examples of a game that is easy to get back into.  Usually when I try to come back after a  prolonged absence I've forgotten so much about special attacks, spells, intricatsies of the combat system, etc and it's overwhelming.  But with FFXII, all of my old gambits were still in place so I could let it go on autopilot a bit while I caught up. 

Although this is best left for the other thread, let me tell you how much I went from doubting gambits to loving their efficiciency and creativity. I don't think I will ever enjoy a JRPG more than the absolute turn based perfection of FFX, but in a totally different way, I like this just one iota less. Look forward to discussing it more in the new strat thread.
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2007, 11:41:48 PM »

Most of my gaming time this weekend went towards Guild Wars (working through the Nightfall campaign).  I also logged about 50 years in EU3, finishing up my Tuscany game.

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2007, 12:43:31 AM »

I didn't get as much time to game as I planned.  I downloaded and played some Lumines Live from the Live Arcade (just the demo) aaaand that's it. 
I ended up watching Jet Li's Fearless instead.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2007, 12:44:46 AM »

I spent the weekend in Dallas visiting my girlfriend's fiance's brand new nephew. I forgot to bring my DS, so I thought the weekend would be completely gaming free. Thankfully, the household had a gamecube, and I got in a few games of Super Smash Brothers Melee, Tetris Worlds, and Ms. Pacman. Still, I was glad to get home today and see my 360 looking at me with it's lustful glances.

Fear not, 360, I shall fondle you soon!
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2007, 04:36:15 AM »

Saturday: Got several hours into "taking care of sick people" despite acquiring the "low grade temp" debuff early in the day. Totally pwned the "admit 1" and "discharge 2" challenges. Unfortunately, my team didn't fare so well on the multi-player level "Code Blue."  icon_cry

Sunday: Decided not to play "taking care of sick people" due to the debuff. Beat Elite Beat Agents at two star difficulty and made decent headway into three star. Played a bit of Wii Sports with the wife. It's become a staple. Started Marvel Ultimate Alliance up at "Normal" difficulty just to pass some time - made it to Stark Tower.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2007, 05:02:40 AM »

Quote from: CrayolaSmoker on February 13, 2007, 04:36:15 AM

Saturday: Got several hours into "taking care of sick people" despite acquiring the "low grade temp" debuff early in the day. Totally pwned the "admit 1" and "discharge 2" challenges. Unfortunately, my team didn't fare so well on the multi-player level "Code Blue."  icon_cry

Sunday: Decided not to play "taking care of sick people" due to the debuff. Beat Elite Beat Agents at two star difficulty and made decent headway into three star. Played a bit of Wii Sports with the wife. It's become a staple. Started Marvel Ultimate Alliance up at "Normal" difficulty just to pass some time - made it to Stark Tower.

so, at what level do you get the quest for a new mount?  Tongue

Because I can,
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2007, 05:27:16 AM »

We played way too, too much Dragon Quest VIII. This has got to be the best multiview game I've played other than Zelda TP and KOTOR; i.e 1 person plays and multiple persons sit back and view. icon_biggrin
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2007, 10:44:13 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on February 13, 2007, 05:02:40 AM

Quote from: CrayolaSmoker on February 13, 2007, 04:36:15 AM

so, at what level do you get the quest for a new mount?  Tongue

I don't believe that quest comes until AFTER the "Divorce in Texas" or "Widower to Young" missions (depending, of course, on which branch of the mission tree you're on). I do hear you can get a new mount early if you find the "Drunken Mistake" secret room... though I hear it jacks with the difficulty level of the rest of the game somethin' fierce.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2007, 01:09:13 PM »

Quote from: Captain Caveman on February 13, 2007, 12:44:46 AM

girlfriend's fiance's 

grats!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print