http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 04:46:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: We just got a Gamestop in town - a good thing?  (Read 2751 times)
warning
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 27, 2005, 06:41:50 PM »

Our little town of about 50,000 just had a Gamestop open up.  I've never shopped at one in the past - I buy games mostly online, through trades and what I could find at local department stores.

So what should I know about Gamestop?  Is it the same as EB Games?  What about their used games?  Are they good quality?  And how much do they buy used games for?

Thanks!
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2005, 06:52:16 PM »

I tend to think these store, as well as EBs, are about as good as the employees behind the counter.  As for deals, you probably won't find many, but at least if you really want a game NOW, your options for getting it just increased.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2005, 06:54:14 PM »

I like Gamestop.  If nothing else, just to go in and look at games.  They do have $9.99 and under sections now which is kind of cool if you dont mind playing a game that is 3 to 5 years old.

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2005, 07:05:58 PM »

Quote from: "warning"
So what should I know about Gamestop?  Is it the same as EB Games?

Yes, that is all. smile

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2005, 07:09:24 PM »

We got a Gamestop about 9 months ago, and before the merger with EB, they seemed to give more in trade than EB did.  Now they seem like the same store with different people running them.

When I walk in EB, hardly anyone speaks unless it's to say "Hello", but when I walk in Gamestop I am bombarded with requests for their latest pre order gimmick or whatever else they are pushing at the time.  

Maybe the Gamestop guys are working right out of the employee handbook while the EB guys don't care, but either way it's annoying.  I like to walk in a store and be left alone until I ask for something.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2005, 08:05:18 PM »

Wish I had a Gamestop around here.  One thing about major game retailers is that they definately get their release date games when they're supposed to.  Living out here without a Gamestop or EB, my friends and I usually have to drive about an hour or so to a Gamecrazy if we want to actually get a game when it's released.

Smaller video game stores are great sometimes (such as when I first bought my first copy of Valkyrie Profile - $30 USED!).  But when it comes to the sheer convienance of wanting a release when it actually releases, smaller video game stores here get them in 2-3 days after major retailers do.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2005, 09:56:55 PM »

Quote from: "mikeg"
I tend to think these store, as well as EBs, are about as good as the employees behind the counter.  

I'll second this.  The Gamestop by me has some very knowledeable & friendly employees, and they're not overly pushy with their add-ons.  I have been to a couple other Gamestops in town, however, that I would never consider going back to because the counter jockeys were either clueless or just flat-out rude.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2005, 10:04:26 PM »

Quote from: "mikeg"
I tend to think these store, as well as EBs, are about as good as the employees behind the counter.

i third this. if i go all 'impulse', & call on release day & ask the guys at my shop to put one of 2-3 copies of something new aside for me, they just do it - very cool...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2005, 11:32:01 PM »

I tend to favor Gamestop over EB Games because my favorite gamestores have usually been Gamestops but, yeah, it really depends on the employees.  I've been luck enough to frequent stores with very knowledgeable, friendly people who aren't pushy.

I also find Gamestops to be better organized and have better luck finding used games there too.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2005, 12:08:52 AM »

"Our little town of about 50,000 just had a Gamestop open up."
My town is about the same size and we have 2 Gamestops, an EB, and an Exchange (used games and DVDs/CDs store) all within 1 mile of each other.  I guess we're just lucky smile

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
warning

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2005, 12:16:26 AM »

Quote from: "EddieA"
"Our little town of about 50,000 just had a Gamestop open up."
My town is about the same size and we have 2 Gamestops, an EB, and an Exchange (used games and DVDs/CDs store) all within 1 mile of each other.  I guess we're just lucky smile

Wow!

We're (Quincy, IL) about the biggest town for a couple of hours in any direction.  Of course it's Illinois so take that for what it's worth.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2005, 12:42:39 AM »

More options are always better!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2005, 12:51:25 AM »

like lethal injection, electric chair OR firing squad? smile

warning, like a lot of the other smaller places DON'T LET THEM GIVE YOU THE OPENED "NEW" COPIES!!!

i have a not so hot gamestop nearby and they always try to pull the "its our last copy" bit.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2005, 03:28:13 AM »

Both stores have also started offering older games much cheaper than they used to.   A year or so ago, it was rare to see anything under $10, but now there are a lot under $10, with some really cheap games like $2.50 for MGS2 and Gran Tursimo 3.  It's great for picking up games for the current systems as the releases shift toward the next-gen ones.

Having all the stores so close does make shopping very easy.  I can park at Gamestop, and both EB and The Exchange are a minute's walk away.  The other Gamestop is across the street.  The funny thing is, they've all been there for years, and are apparently all doing well enough to survive.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2005, 06:51:17 AM »

The only reason I go to EB/Gamestop is to get games on release day since other places are usually a couple days behind.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2005, 10:54:00 AM »

Quote from: "Doopri"

warning, like a lot of the other smaller places DON'T LET THEM GIVE YOU THE OPENED "NEW" COPIES!!!

i have a not so hot gamestop nearby and they always try to pull the "its our last copy" bit.

Oh how I HATE the opened "new" copy bullshit. I am angry now!

Well, maybe not, now...but I once was. :wink:
warning

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2005, 12:28:59 PM »

Quote from: "Harpua3"

Oh how I HATE the opened "new" copy bullshit. I am angry now!

Well, maybe not, now...but I once was. :wink:

Ok what's this?  They sell copies of new games that are opened?  That sounds... weird.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2005, 06:53:11 PM »

For the most part, there is no actual product on the floor, to prevent theft.
When a game comes in, if it isn't on the floor already, one copy is opened. The books and discs are removed and put in cd sleeves and filed in a drawer, while the empty case is put on the wall.

If someone wants to purchase the last copy of a new game in the store, they will be given this copy.

A couple of things here. First of all, they should be willing to shrinkwrap it on request if you like. Second, even better is to not worry about that and have them note on the receipt that this is the "gut" or open copy. Then, if you need to return it for some reason, you should be able to.

Any retail store is only as good as the people that work there.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2005, 09:47:32 PM »

ya misguided, plus they also let their employees take out games for a set time as well so you can sometimes get that copy.  if it were just the one "last" copy it wouldn't happen nearly as much.  i once returned an opened "new" game that someone picked up for me, and they had the nerve to respond with another, equally opened "new" copy.  needless to say i walked out with the cash.

again warning this may be a product of a lousy gamestop, but watch out for it ive heard a few complaints.
sclick
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2005, 09:54:00 PM »

I no longer make purchases at EBgames or Gamestop. I got sick of opened games, ridiculous sales practices (such as the "Game Guarantee" program), very low trade in pricing, and generally uninformed employees.

I used to like Gamestop, back when they were Software, Etc. and actually carried PC games.
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2005, 10:26:34 PM »

Its all the same crap. Make a friend there, and things go easier.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2005, 12:47:22 PM »

ya misguided, plus they also let their employees take out games for a set time as well so you can sometimes get that copy.  if it were just the one "last" copy it wouldn't happen nearly as much.  i once returned an opened "new" game that someone picked up for me, and they had the nerve to respond with another, equally opened "new" copy.  needless to say i walked out with the cash.

again warning this may be a product of a lousy gamestop, but watch out for it ive heard a few complaints.

I know, I work at Gamestop. Sometimes more than one copy gets opened for a variety of reasons, for instance, a box goes missing from the floor temporarily and another copy gets opened to put one on the floor. As for the employees borrowing games, that shouldn't be an issue because (at least in our store) only one copy of any title can be out at one time and they just take the disc from the already opened copy. I currently have a copy of Kameo that I borrowed.

Just yesterday we got in some new bags with an adhesive strip on them. Now when we sell the opened new copy, they will be sealed in one of these bags. This makes it easier for us and provides protection to the customer.

sclick
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2005, 04:52:06 PM »

Quote from: "Misguided"

As for the employees borrowing games, that shouldn't be an issue because (at least in our store) only one copy of any title can be out at one time and they just take the disc from the already opened copy. I currently have a copy of Kameo that I borrowed.

Just yesterday we got in some new bags with an adhesive strip on them. Now when we sell the opened new copy, they will be sealed in one of these bags. This makes it easier for us and provides protection to the customer.

I don't understand how a game is "new" when it's already been borrowed by one or more gamestop employees. This would seem to make it a "used" game. These should not be sold at a new price. If Gamestop wants to allow its employees to borrow games, then these games should be marked and sold at their (inflated) used prices.

No offense to you intended, misguided, but it just seems like a policy that is outright deceptive to the customer.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2005, 06:38:56 PM »

Quote from: "sclick"
I don't understand how a game is "new" when it's already been borrowed by one or more gamestop employees. This would seem to make it a "used" game. These should not be sold at a new price. If Gamestop wants to allow its employees to borrow games, then these games should be marked and sold at their (inflated) used prices.

No offense to you intended, misguided, but it just seems like a policy that is outright deceptive to the customer.

I also work at GameStop and have always been uncomfortable with the fact that we have to open new games.  I am not alone in this but the company view is that we need to have a case on display to sell the game and the only way to do that is to open one up.  

As for the check-out by employees, at my store I limit that to used games and not to new titles. However, that is not company policy.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2005, 11:50:45 PM »

I didn`t read all of the above, just skimmed it. If I were to read it all, the anger would come out :wink: . GAMESPOT AND EB YOU SUCK :twisted: !!!

Ok, I`m better now. Here is MY beef with the "fake new stuff" :wink:  If I buy a game and open it, then return it...it`s used. If I buy a "new" game from them sometimes it`s open!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ARGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I understand why this is for the most part. But it still frickin` makes me angry!
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2005, 01:00:05 AM »

Quote from: "sclick"

I don't think it is deceptive per se, since the customer is under no obligation to purchase an opened copy. It certainly doesn't hurt (and I do this) to make sure that having an opened copy is acceptable to the customer and offering to shrinkwrap it. I always explain that it is the last one we have and most people are glad to have the last one. Sometimes they don't want it.

As for the possibilty of an employee having borrowed a title, a store has so many titles and so few employees that it doesn't seem like a big deal to me, personally. It's a CD, not a pair of underwear *shrug*. Now, if I got it home and it had a ton of scratches, then yeah I'd be annoyed.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2005, 01:13:04 AM »

Do you see anything wrong with taking all the used games that don't have scratches, shrink wrapping them, and selling them as "new" for full price?  What's the difference?
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2005, 05:52:52 AM »

Quote from: "wonderpug"
Do you see anything wrong with taking all the used games that don't have scratches, shrink wrapping them, and selling them as "new" for full price?  What's the difference?

I sure frickin` do! :wink:
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2005, 11:49:05 AM »

Quote from: "wonderpug"

The difference is what the store paid to have the item in inventory and the fact that it would be a practice deliberately hidden from the customer.  You have the right to not want a new game that's been opened but you also have the appropriate information to make that decision at time of purchase whereas in the scenario you posited above you wouldn't.

I personally don't see it as a big deal, but I do respect the opinion of those that do. I guess to me it is kind of analagous to buying a new car and expecting the odomoter to be at zero miles, which it never is (at least in my experience).

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2005, 02:42:04 PM »

I don't think your average customer has any idea that the employees are allowed to play the game before they sell it.  Do you tell your customers how  many times an open box copy has been taken home by an employee?  If not, then it is a practice deliberately hidden from the customer.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2005, 02:48:36 PM »

Quote from: "Misguided"
I guess to me it is kind of analagous to buying a new car and expecting the odomoter to be at zero miles, which it never is (at least in my experience).

That analogy doesn't work well.  With a new car you expect that it will have been test driven one or more times.  I have no expectation that new software will actually be used before I buy it.  I certainly expect used software will be used and I pay less money for it as a result.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2005, 08:41:09 PM »

You guys seem to be assuming lots of games are checked out by employees and that's just not the case.  Most employees are gamers, which means they buy the stuff they really want on day one.  What they check out is older or more obscure stuff.  On top of that, GameStop's check-out policy has rules about how soon after release a title can be checked out, the preference that a used copy be taken before new, and how many copies need to be in the store before it can be checked out.  In the end, the number of open copies that have actually been played is very small.  The vast majority of open copies have never been played.  

Finally, as Misguided has pointed out, you are under no obligation to buy a copy that has been opened.  If you are so concerned about an opened copy, don't buy one.  I have regular customers who have that policy and we get along fine - they understand why we have to open some copies and I understand why they want an sealed copy.  It's not that big a deal.  Besides, many retailers resell opened and returned items as new all the time, you just don't notice because of how easy it is to seal the package up to new looking status on many things.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
sclick
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2005, 09:21:07 PM »

Quote from: "Sarkus"
You guys seem to be assuming lots of games are checked out by employees and that's just not the case.  Most employees are gamers, which means they buy the stuff they really want on day one.  What they check out is older or more obscure stuff.  On top of that, GameStop's check-out policy has rules about how soon after release a title can be checked out, the preference that a used copy be taken before new, and how many copies need to be in the store before it can be checked out.  In the end, the number of open copies that have actually been played is very small.  The vast majority of open copies have never been played.

All true, I'm sure. I can only speak to my experiences at my local EBgames and GameStop's, which were in a steady decline over the last couple of years until I vowed to give them up entirely. Things like:

* At least 50% of the time I tried to buy a game (didn't matter if it was a newer title or something that had been around for a while) the clerk wanted to give me an opened copy. Sometimes they'd manage to find a sealed copy when I complained, but often not. How do we know the difference between a copy traded in by a customer, one borrowed by an employee, and one that is actually "new" but opened? Do we just trust the store?

* The Gameplay Guarantee program. 'nuff said. What a joke.

* On more than one occasion I tried to buy a used game off the shelf and they couldn't locate the disc and manual.

* General lack of knowledge and rudeness among employees

* The steadily diminishing presence of PC titles (I'm a PC gamer as well)

* They used to have an occasional trade-in special that made it worth my while, but those started to disappear and/or become much more restrictive

* A gauntlet of pushy offers at the register (buy our magazine, you better preorder such-and-such, join this program, etc. etc.)

* Obnoxious customers (not the store's fault, admittedly)

I understand the issues with low margins in video game sales. I understand that there are probably policies for employees borrowing games (though I'd suspect they are sometimes abused). All of the things I've outlined above might just be a side effect of trying to be profitable these days, but I think there is still a niche for a brick-and-mortar that emphasizes customer service and that hires (and pays for) courteous, knowledgeable employees. Until my pipe dream comes to fruition, I'll just order online.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2005, 09:28:10 PM »

There's a difference between a game being opened for security reasons, and having employees take that game home and using it.  It's the customer's choice whether or not to buy an opened copy, as long as they're made aware that the game has been opened.

Likewise, it's the customer's choice whether or not to buy an employee-used copy, as long as they're made aware that the game has been taken home by one or more employees.

As long as you're telling the customers the truth, I have no problem with the practice.
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2005, 09:46:46 PM »

I don't understand why people are splitting hairs over the definition of new vs. used. To me, if someone takes the shrinkwrap off a case and pulls the disc out of the case, it's used. Regardless of whether the disc is simply being put in a little plastic bag or if it's taken home by an employee, I'm still not going to pay full price for it.

Anyway, I've completely stopped shopping at Gamestop now that I discovered that Toys 'R Us stocks most Atlus games. TRU has lots of empty display cases on their shelves, but never once have they tried to sell me a gutted copy. I'd rather wait a few extra days for TRU or Best Buy to get a game than give EB/Gamestop my money.

I try to be reasonable about these things, but honestly shopping at EB/Gamestop now seems more like going to a flea market that a retailer. With getting hounded about trade-ins promotional offers and the snide lectures about pre-ordering, its just not worth supporting this company any more. I'm voting with my pocketbook and have taken my business elsewhere.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2005, 11:05:37 PM »

Quote from: "Andrew Mallon"
I'm voting with my pocketbook and have taken my business elsewhere.

I've got no problem with that at all. It's your money, you should spend it how and where you want to.

I'm certainly not going to sit here and defend a store I've never been to with employees I've never met. Personally, I think I work at a very good store. I left my previous job because of the excellent staff at this store and the belief that the manager there had a great deal to teach me. I get a lot of personal satisfaction out of selling games to people.

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2005, 02:17:32 AM »

How does Toys R Us get all those empty display cases when a dedicated video game retailer cannot?  The look exactly the same except they have a green block where the UPC symbol would be that says "Not for Resale" or something similar.  Hell, EB has all those preorder boxes all over the place, why not keep those out instead?

I've purchased opened games at EB.  I inspect the game and manual before they put it in the case.  If it looks used I don't buy it.  I just wish they wouldn't seal it with that God forsaken sticker that ruins the case.

Was it EB or GameStop that got in trouble for selling used games as new?   I think that is what a lot of people here worry about.  As a previous poster said, how can you be sure?  I would love to see the employee have  to explain that the "new" game had been checked out.  Wonder how many sales that would cost them.

Obviously we are represent a small minority, but I would imagine more people refused to buy gutted copies then we'd quickly see a change in these practices.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2005, 07:55:50 AM »

like lethal injection, electric chair OR firing squad?
Couldn't help saying that I don't even like carpet shocks, so forget "the Chair"... but I'm diabetic, so injections - no big deal!

On to topic:  You've all made such great points, it's hard to add to this, but of course I'll try anyway.

Stiff - you are so right, this is one of my biggest problems with the practice of "gutted" games (thanks to whomever mentioned that term, I'd never heard it, but it fits perfectly):  
I just wish they wouldn't seal it with that God forsaken sticker that ruins the case.
Stickers of anys sort - price tags, "Trade Your Games, Make Big Money," etc. - directly on game cases, are Pure Evil!  :evil:

I also, heartily, agree with the fact that it all depends on the employees of any store in question.  Though they must stay within (or close to) store policy - it's the quality of the employee(s) that makes the store.  I'm blessed with an EB that has fantastic employees, one in particular (see, Search: "Chaz, EB, Mytocles" - jk, though it'd probably come up with several posts), plus decent "everyday" practices.  There is also a Best Buy for items I can't get at EB - and they happen to be a super example of the BB stores as well. I may not have a half dozen stores from which to choose, but I'm ecstatic about having two excellent ones!  Tongue

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2005, 09:18:25 AM »

I brought home rallisport for xbox when it came out. NEW, or so I thought. I looked at the disc in the store but i saw mothing. I get home under different light I saw LOTS of scatches and deep enough too! I heard "sorry we must of mixed it up with a used one". NO SHIT! And I didn`t buy the "mixed it up" happened on accident. ARGH!

:x
 I`m better now :wink:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: