http://gamingtrend.com
December 18, 2014, 03:25:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WAY late to the party: Metal Gear Solid 2  (Read 1448 times)
TheMissingLink
Gaming Trend Senior Member

TML, for short.

View Profile
« on: December 05, 2005, 03:08:37 AM »

After the initial excitement from the MGS4 video, I decided to go back and play through all the Metal Gear's  I've slowly been making progress through Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (I get side-tracked with other games a lot and for some reason, I seem to neglect my Xbox with the exception of sports games).

But whoaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah is this game messed up.  I mean, wow, some of the stuff that's been happening lately has been like, wtf-worthy.

Spoilers (dunno how far I am in):

Spoiler for Hiden:
I just came from the Big Shell to inside of Metal Gear Rex.  And WTF, the Colonal just told me to power off my system!?  And all that babble he's speaking?  WTF!  It was, to be truthful, freaking me out a little bit...

But the further I get into the game, the more I see why the MGS fans are so into this series.  It's constantly amusing, keeps throwing newish gametype's at you, very humerous - and the cinematics are so very awesome.

I find stealth-type games somewhat frustrating, but with this one set on Easy difficulty (shut up!) and really great "checkpoints" for when you die, it's been a very fun romp.

If someone knowledgable about the game could tell me how far I am into the game and how much left I have to go, I'd appreciate it.  Two more weeks of school left and if I can finish this one up in the next few days, I'll do so, because I need to pass my classes!  So, right now, I just
Spoiler for Hiden:
got inside Metal Gear Rex and got the sword from Snake.

Thoughts?  Comments?

TheMissingLink on PSN
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2005, 04:13:55 AM »

Spoiler for Hiden:

You're pretty close to the end when the colonel starts freaking out on you.  You're inside Metal Gear Arsenal, not rex
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2005, 04:15:48 AM »

Heh, prepare for a lot of hate smile  Easily one of the most controversial games of the generation.

Personally, I love MGS2 heart and soul.  I've played through it four times or more and enjoy it just as much every time.  I love the convulated wacky story (which has spots of brillaince IMO) but the gameplay is sterling, something that I think gets neglected way too much.

And, wow, what a gorgeous game.  Four years later and its still one of the most visually impressive games I've ever seen.  

As for how much you have left- you're almost at the end.  Probably two or three hours left tops.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2005, 05:12:34 AM »

I will be brief and say that this is the one game which I actually physically hate.  It is a passionate, intense, deep down hate that is more than a man should feel towards any worldly object.  I hate MGS 2 with the white hot intensity of a thousand suns.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
weleavefossils
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2005, 05:22:01 AM »

i don't dislike it, I think it was dumb that they changed the whole ending due to 9/11 though (but not totally their fault).  The only thing I disliked were the enemies, they were so cheesy.

Wii 5882-3358-1683-0643
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2005, 05:26:36 AM »

WOW!!  Just beat it!!

They altered the ending, what do you mean?

I loved it biggrin

TheMissingLink on PSN
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2005, 05:31:46 AM »

From what I understand the alteration was incredibly minor.  During the final sequence as Arsenal Gear crashes into Manhanttan there would have been a shot of it plowing throw downtown, crushing buildings and the World Trade Center was in the background.

You can see the removed model in Document of Metal Gear Solid 2.
weleavefossils
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2005, 05:42:25 AM »

yeah, it was in the script of the game from the developers that was provided on substance I believe, here it is typed out (I believe this is it)

http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/file/document_of_msg_plant_script.txt

You got to remember that the whole game revolves around terrorism, wasn't a really popular subject at the time.

Wii 5882-3358-1683-0643
weleavefossils
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2005, 05:47:00 AM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
From what I understand the alteration was incredibly minor.  During the final sequence as Arsenal Gear crashes into Manhanttan there would have been a shot of it plowing throw downtown, crushing buildings and the World Trade Center was in the background.

You can see the removed model in Document of Metal Gear Solid 2.

I don't feel like reading through the whole end, but I think also when "you know who" ironically drapes himself in the american flag.  but that is small too.  I have heard rumors that there were more changes that were replaced by the ending "snakes view on life" speech, which makes sort of sense. But who knows.

Wii 5882-3358-1683-0643
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2005, 05:57:49 AM »

It has me excited about what characters we'll see in MGS4.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Raiden's son/daughter, perhaps?  Olga's child??

Or maybe I'm just looking too much into that biggrin

I wish I could put all my thoughts/questions into one big post, but I'll need some time to really think about wtf happened there at the end and get some sort of coherency biggrin

TheMissingLink on PSN
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2005, 06:03:42 AM »

Oh, and it WAS my goal to get through all the Metal Gear games before MGS4 hits, so where should I go next?

Twin Snakes or MGS3?

I've got about 2 hours into the Twin Snakes (don't really wanna play the PSX version if TS is a MGS-engine-enhanced version of it) and about 7 in MGS3.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2005, 06:57:14 AM »

I almost ordered this for $5.90 for the PC since I don't have a PS2 anymore.

Great fun game.

Fatman was a terrible idea though smile

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2005, 07:21:38 AM »

Twin Snakes or MGS3?

Definitely Twin Snakes.  You'll want to save the best for last (MGS3).
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2005, 07:24:31 AM »

hehe, he definitely wasn't the coolest member of Dead Cell, that's for sure!  A tad too looney biggrin

I've decided to go with the original over MGS3.  I really like the feel of the Twin Snakes, plus I'm a few hours in already...so as much as I want to experience the original in it's original form, gonna skip it for the Twin Snakes, I think.  Same story!

TheMissingLink on PSN
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2005, 08:50:01 AM »

Am I the ONLY person that LOVED the MGS series at one point, the ps1 game, but now HATES it? I guess it`s just not my cup of tea anymore.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2005, 03:21:36 PM »

Quote from: "Harpua3"
Am I the ONLY person that LOVED the MGS series at one point, the ps1 game, but now HATES it? I guess it`s just not my cup of tea anymore.

*raises hand*

MGS2 was a great game, until the last hour or so totally and utterly ruined the entire rest of the game.

Sorta like Halo 2 and its 'ending' and 'final boss fight'.

I haven't been interested in the sequels at all thanks to MGS2. Loved MGS1 (have both the PS1 and Cube remake), and loved the NES game, but just hated what the franchise turned into.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2005, 03:53:11 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"

I haven't been interested in the sequels at all thanks to MGS2. Loved MGS1 (have both the PS1 and Cube remake), and loved the NES game, but just hated what the franchise turned into.

You should really try  MGS3. I didn't like MGS2 either, and only bought 3 when I found it for 10 bucks. But I'm glad I did - it is worlds better than MGS2 and feels much more similar to the PS1 game.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2005, 04:02:38 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
Personally, I love MGS2 heart and soul.  I've played through it four times or more and enjoy it just as much every time.  I love the convulated wacky story (which has spots of brillaince IMO) but the gameplay is sterling, something that I think gets neglected way too much.

Quote from: "denoginizer"
I will be brief and say that this is the one game which I actually physically hate. It is a passionate, intense, deep down hate that is more than a man should feel towards any worldly object. I hate MGS 2 with the white hot intensity of a thousand suns.

& therein lies the genius of kojima...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2005, 06:54:14 PM »

I keep meaning to play ANY Metal Gear game, but I have yet to actually do so.  When I see MGS2:Something or other for <$10 used at EB/Gamestop, I think about it briefly before moving on.  Would anyone suggest it strongly enough that I should really get a copy and try it?

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2005, 06:57:58 PM »

That's what I got.  Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance.  I guess it's the same game, just with some included VR missions and other little extra's.  I recommend grabbing that one.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Creepy_Smell

Load"*",8,1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2005, 10:15:30 PM »

I grabbed myself a copy for cheap ways back and played maybe 5 minutes before I was distracted by something else.

Its one of those games that I plan on playing one day even though that day is not today.

Maybe one da...

<Runs after the shiny lights>

weleavefossils
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2005, 04:56:05 AM »

Quote from: "Ralph-Wiggum"
Quote from: "Destructor"

You should really try  MGS3. I didn't like MGS2 either, and only bought 3 when I found it for 10 bucks. But I'm glad I did - it is worlds better than MGS2 and feels much more similar to the PS1 game.

how is 3 more like the PS1 title?  I would say 3 was totally different than the other 2. The only thing that people seem to hate about 2 is that you weren't snake entirely through, and the ending.  Other than that, what made it so terrible?

Wii 5882-3358-1683-0643
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2005, 12:50:04 PM »

I thought the bosses in 2 weren't that inspired. I also thought the environments were bland (moving from similar looking room to similar looking room). Granted, the eating and killing food in MGS3 was completely new. But overall, MGS3 just felt fresh to me (like MGS1). I had to force myself to get through MGS2.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2005, 09:37:20 PM »

Quote from: "weleavefossils"
. The only thing that people seem to hate about 2 is that you weren't snake entirely through, and the ending.  Other than that, what made it so terrible?

1.  "You have 2 hours to save the world!"  But lets spend the next 20 non-interactive minutes discussing high-school level philosophy.

2.  Sitting through seemingly endless cutscenes only to say "WTF" when they finally end.

3.  Personally I find the blatant patterns of the AI boring.  I realize that most games use patterns, but they are just so obvious in MGS games.

4.  The camera view not letting you be able to see something that is 5 feet in front of your charicter due to the angle chosen for you by the designers.

Those are just the 1st 4 things off the top of my head.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: