http://gamingtrend.com
September 23, 2014, 08:44:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Way behind.... Metroid Prime (and Echoes!)  (Read 1592 times)
JCC
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 29, 2005, 09:27:01 PM »

I am very pleased with myself as I just finished Metroid Prime. This was the oldest GCN title in my backlog and with the week off, I was determined to finish it. I went from 35% to 71% complete and finished it. (Boy I must have missed a ton of missile expansions, power bomb expansions, scans etc.) A truly spectacular game that while successful sales wise deserves to be even more so. The Omega Priate boss and Metroid Prime were both very VERY hard. With both, I was getting pretty frustrated before I finally managed to knock them off. Meta Ridley was my bitch. Aside from some frustrating difficulty at times, I just loved this. An amazing first effort from Retro.

Bring on ECHOES~!~!~!~!~! smile

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2005, 10:02:59 PM »

I, too, loved Metroid Prime.  Though, Gamefaqs was definitely my friend for finding a lot of missle and bomb expansions.  I would never have found some of those other wise.  My only major complaint was that there was too much backtracking, but meh to that.

Still need to play Echoes....

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2005, 10:08:43 PM »

LOL. I doubt there are many (if any) games I could finish these days without GameFAQs.com. I get frustrated too easily nowadays, since my game time is limited and would probably move on, if I couldn't get a quick answer. smile

-John

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2005, 12:13:10 AM »

And if you'd like to see the game beaten in ways you couldn't imagine, take a look (and download) a bunch of speed runs over here:

http://www.samus.co.uk/mprime/speed_runs.shtml

Just make sure you have something handy to wipe up your drool with. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
unbreakable
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2005, 12:52:18 AM »

I tried doing a trick where you get one of the weapons (I forget which) far earlier than intended, it involved some really crazy jumping and rolling.  I never ended up doing it; there was one jump where you had to leap from the wall as a ball, and land somewhere.  I just couldnt make that jump!

I did finish, may have had 100% (with info assistance, of course).  Really good game.  I still really want Metroid 2, waiting to see if I can pick it up for $10 somewhere, or in a trade.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2005, 01:22:13 AM »

I played through to the end of Metroid Prime and had a great time every step of the way...but I can't honestly say that I "finished" it since my completion score at the end was something like 64%  :shock:

I *thought* I was doing really well, scanning every enemy, every pirate terminal, keeping an ear out for any nearby missile or energy tanks (since they make a distinctive humming sound).  I'm really embarassed by that score, but I've never had a chance to go back and try to improve it.

-Autistic Angel
unbreakable
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2005, 04:13:21 AM »

One of the big things, which is very easy to miss, is scanning the bosses.  I scanned everything, but a few times I had to reload a save because I forgot, and you only get one shot at it.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2005, 04:41:19 AM »

For the curious, I believe I finished at 72%. I think at 75% you get a "better" ending (Samus sans helmet?) and at 100% get the "best" ending.

As an aside, I went to my local gamestop tonight (while running another errand) looking for MP2. They had it USED for $45! Yikes! It's $20 new on their website! [sarcasm] I just can't wait for all the EBs to become Gamestops!! [/sarcasm]

-John

Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2005, 04:47:00 AM »

It was probably just an old tag. You should have asked about the price. Probably 17.99 or 14.99.

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2005, 04:54:38 AM »

Definitely a possibility, but this is a case where I love the series so much I want a new copy to support the developer. (It being $20 now helps too. smile )

-John

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2005, 05:39:02 AM »

Loved Metroid Prime very much.  Alas, the Omega Pirate marked the end of progress in the game for me though.  

Have had Echoes for over a year and gave it a quick try a while back and was very impressed.  I hope to give it some real time sometime in the coming year.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2005, 07:57:30 AM »

Yeah I was screaming at the Omega Pirate and took several tries to beat him, and then did it barely.

MP was similarly very frustrating for me, but in the end I won that fight fairly easily the time I beat it. (shrugs)

I think MP would have benefitted from an "EASY" difficulty level. Some of us don't want THAT much challenge from a game. Still, I loved it overall.

-John

Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2005, 03:58:38 PM »

I had to give up, and I think it was with the Omega Pirate - like RE4, the game ceased being fun and simply became a chore. Part of the problem, and my fault, is that I don't think I'd found enough health tanks or missle upgrades, so I was a whimpering little bitch when I squared off against him.

I did enjoy the game up to that point though.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2005, 04:22:57 PM »

Quote from: "unbreakable"

I did finish, may have had 100% (with info assistance, of course).  Really good game.  I still really want Metroid 2, waiting to see if I can pick it up for $10 somewhere, or in a trade.

So why haven't you PMed me yet? smile

egrudzin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2005, 01:20:00 AM »

For those interested, Toys R Us has Metroid Prime 2 on clearence now for $9.99.  My local one had stacks of 'em.

It's definitely worth a play tho not as good as the first one.
unbreakable
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2005, 02:53:05 AM »

I'll see if a local TRU has one; $10 is exactly my kind of price!
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2005, 03:49:07 AM »

Is it for sure only $10? I was reading at CheapAssGamer and they didn't make it sound as though that was true.

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2005, 05:14:37 AM »

I tend to be pretty lousy at these sorts of games, but I can honestly say that I beat Omega Pirate on my very first try, and didn't have any problems doing it.  The key, as I recall, was....

Spoiler for Hiden:
...super missiles, and lots of them.  You know: the super attack where you charge up your normal gun and then press 'Y' to unleash a super missile shot which consumes several ammo slots at a time, but deals massive damage to everything in the blast radius.

For the curious, I believe I finished at 72%. I think at 75% you get a "better" ending (Samus sans helmet?) and at 100% get the "best" ending.

FWIW, I got the Samus-sans-helmet ending, and I'm positive my final completion score was about 64% or so...*definitely* under 70%.  Perhaps that ending isn't based on the overall completion, but just the completion score for a particular category (Pirate Logs, Enemies, Upgrade Tanks Acquired, etc.)

-Autistic Angel
unbreakable
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2005, 06:48:39 AM »

I think log entries are part of the completion percentage.  So (if I recall) you need to scan everything and pick up all the items.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2005, 02:11:40 PM »

Yeah I'm AA, not to be mean, but I found the Omega Pirate easy, now the last boss was insanely difficult and took several hours to beat.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
egrudzin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2005, 03:25:21 PM »

Quote from: "Kagath"
Is it for sure only $10? I was reading at CheapAssGamer and they didn't make it sound as though that was true.

I saw it with my own eyes at Toys R Us yesterday.  I didn't do a price check but the shelf was marked with the price.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2006, 06:01:24 AM »

I am 16% through Metroid Prime Echoes now. Loving it so far. Shockingly, I haven't yet used a walkthrough! I like the subtle graphical improvements, and really like the improvements to the scan visor. More fun stuff so far.

-John

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: