http://gamingtrend.com
November 27, 2014, 11:34:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Was Hegemonia any good?  (Read 1312 times)
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Hard partier

View Profile
« on: August 07, 2006, 08:25:06 PM »

I was reorganizing my corner of the office last night and found the box for this title. I remember getting it in trade a few years ago but never once played it. Does anyone recall whether it was a good RTS or just merely average?

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2006, 08:46:00 PM »

You know, I've had this game for like three or four years and never got around to playing it either.

If I remember correctly, the hierarchy of 3D space RTSes was:

Homeworld: Cataclysm > Homeworld > Hegemonia > O.R.B. > Homeworld 2

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2006, 10:52:18 PM »

You guys be quiet. I have both that and Nexus:JI sitting in my backlog. Gah! Not enough time!

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
Zero

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2006, 02:35:11 AM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
You know, I've had this game for like three or four years and never got around to playing it either.

Hmm...was ORB that good?  I never got around to playing that...also have not played with Hegemonia.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2006, 03:06:20 AM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"

Correction:  I thought I had this game.  I've got the jewel case and serial number, but can't find the disc.

Someone play it and let me know if it's worth buying on eBay (or 'discovering' my long lost 'backup' copy of).

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2006, 10:05:02 AM »

Personally I thought it was a terrible game. It's been at least a year since I tried playing it but remember plenty of problems - from the mouse cursor being a square blinking icon the screen to the skirmish mode being incomplete - or a lack of a way to add AI players to multiplayer games.
And on top of all that, frustrating gameplay.
I felt like breaking the disc in half after spending an hour with this game.

Now O.R.B. on the other hand is a complete version of Hedgemonia! It has a real skirmish mode, decent AI, multiplayer (dont know if anyone's still playing it online or not, but the skirmish mode is fully complete unlike Hedgesuckya) and even to this date, good enough graphics.

IMO unless you're looking for a fancy coaster, Hedgemonia isnt even worth 5 bucks.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
greeneggsnham
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2006, 01:26:14 PM »

Hegemonia has reallly, really awesome explosions.

That's about it. Pretty much on any other level, it's crap.

The game engine, at least graphically, is very capable. It would be great if the source code was opened up and a mod group could do some wonders to it. But it would take a LOT of work, IMO.

I'd disagree with LE's earlier post putting HW2 on the bottom of the heap. It was pretty good, IMO. Much better than Hegemonia.
JohnathanStrange

Noted Humanitarian

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2006, 03:20:25 AM »

Now I feel better. I'd felt a bit guilty about buying Hegemonia and then not playing it. Perhaps the ultra-bargain bin price let me put it on the shelf mostly free of guilt but still I thought: one of these days.

I'll play it eventually if only because I have to find out whether:

a) gamers who gave it thumbs down are just "too demanding" fans of the space genre to give Haegemonia a fair shake cause it doesn't fulfill all those hopes of a great game

or

b) gamers who gave it thumbs down are being too generous and in reality, Haegomonia belongs on the next shuttle to the galactic edge.

You just don't give up do you? You seize life by the throat and shake it like a topless bartender mixing a martini! -- Mayor Adam West
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2006, 03:53:16 AM »

Funny enough as I was going through my PC games stack tonight I found unopened copies of both Homeworld and Tacyon The Fringe. More fun for the backlog. smile

Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Rhinohelix
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2006, 10:07:08 AM »

I really thought it was neat but it has been a while since I played it.  I thought that the space battles were very cineramic and liked the planet based portion of it.  Perhaps it is just my memory enhancing the experience but I thought that one of the neat things about it was back then that as the planets grew in population, they had more lights when you passed around to the night side.  I don't remember how well it played to the endgame thouugh, so perhaps like another old spacefaring game Ascendancy, the game presentantion was better than the overall result.  It was well worth my money, for the bin price I paid.

Dance with the Devil and the Devil doesn't change.  The Devil changes you.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2006, 05:00:23 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on August 11, 2006, 03:53:16 AM

Funny enough as I was going through my PC games stack tonight I found unopened copies of both Homeworld and Tacyon The Fringe. More fun for the backlog. smile

:icon_eek:  Play Tacyon now!  You have the freedom to alter the outcome of the game depending on how you play, and who you're fighting for.  The voice over talent alone is worth playing.  Tacyon was a refreshing gameplay throw back to the glory days of chasing down furballs and blasting Kilrathi.  Jump into the cockpit and enjoy the ride.     
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2006, 07:44:28 PM »

I've heard good things about Tachyon but I'm still trying to finish off others in the backlog. Fortunately, some of them I was already a good ways through and just never completed. Those are the ones I'm working off on the side whenever I get the time.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: