http://gamingtrend.com
December 20, 2014, 11:10:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: warning finally discovers the Xbox...  (Read 2492 times)
warning
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: August 08, 2006, 01:44:09 AM »

Yep I had every recent console except the original Xbox.  So when I got my 360 this weekend for my birthday (38 years old today thank you) I started buying some original Xbox games that I knew would run via BC.  Here's my haul so far:

* Halo
* Crimson Skies
* Doom 3
* Jade Empire
* GTA: San Andreas
* Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow

Now I know that some aren't Xbox exclusive but they're games I never played and I passed the PC versions up because I didn't have a great computer to run them (Doom 3) or I thought they'd play better with a gamepad (GTA:SA & Splinter Cell).

So far they all look pretty great and appear to run just fine via BC.

Halo's the only one I've really played much this weekend and today.  I'd played through a bit on the PC version but again I'd always had framerate problems as it wasn't optimized well for the PC.  Well I'm loving it.  I'm just about to get to the Flood and not really looking forward to that but everything else is good.  I'm amazed at how well it controls on the 360's gamepad (presumably it controlled well on the original Xbox's controller as well).  An hour or two in and I didn't really miss mouselook much at all.  My 10 year-old is begging me to buy a 2nd controller so I can play it through co-op with him.

Crimson Skies is the only other one I've played around with and I think I'm going to love it too.  I'd played the original on the PC and it was wonderful and this one seems to be every bit as good.

As far as 360 games goes I'm fooling around with Hexic & Uno, playing through demos that I can download (and I love being able to get a demo without having to subscribe to a friggin magazine) and waiting on Gamefly to send me Call of Duty 2 and Perfect Dark Zero.

So what other classics that are backwards compatible do I need to check out?  I'm waiting for Psychonauts to get added to the list.

I added some of you to my friends list and I'll try to get the others added soon.  Meanwhile I'm PDwarning so challenge me to a vicious game of Uno.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 02:28:01 AM »

Hehe, welcome to the fold.  I'm not sure what genres you are interested in, but some good original XBox games that support backwards compatibility: Fable, LEGO Star Wars, Metal-Arms, Halo 2 (obviously), Ninja Gaiden, The Simpsons Hit & Run, The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction,  and I'm sure some would recommend Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 1&2 although I never played them myself.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006, 02:29:38 AM »

Happy birthday, warning!

I wondered why your profile on the test site had a little birthday cake.  Well, I figured that was the reason.  I sure as hell didn't have one today.  Not my birthday.  What a coincidence, the only name I clicked for testing purposes and I hit the jackpot!

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2006, 02:56:35 AM »

do yourself a favor and pick up Ninja Gaiden:Black as soon as you're ready for something else to play.  i didn't have an original xbox either, but i picked up NG:B as soon as it was fully BC and immediately fell in love with the game.  it looks fantastic on the 360, plays perfectly, and is a hell of a lot of fun.  of course it's also one of the most challenging games i've ever played, but it's well worth the effort once everything clicks and you start to kick some serious ass.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
depward

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2006, 03:05:44 AM »

Happy Birthday!  Get Ninja Gaiden Black - can be had for relatively cheap and fairly fun!

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2006, 03:38:34 AM »

I also recommend Ninja Gaiden Black. That one is a no-brainer. I second the recommendation of Metal Arms. Such a great game and a crime that it sold so poorly.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2006, 05:25:24 AM »

happy birthday,must admit those games you have got are a good bunch,i enjoyed crimson skies (but alas was let down on xbox live...just werent that many people on)

jade empire i loved and i think they are making a sequel

i would recomend star wars battlefront 1 and 2,both great games IMO and are both great online as well

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2006, 03:42:03 PM »

Games worth playing (IMHO) on the BC list:
Code:

Amped® 2
Crimson Skies®: High Road to Revenge™
Dead or Alive® 3
Fable®: The Lost Chapters™
Forza Motorsport™
Fuzion Frenzy®
Grabbed by the Ghoulies™
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas™
Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
Halo®
Halo® 2
Jade Empire™3
LEGO® Star Wars®
Metal Arms™: Glitch in the System
Ninja Gaiden® Black
Quantum Redshift®
RalliSport Challenge
Spider-Man™
Star Wars Battlefront™
Star Wars Battlefront™ II
Star Wars®: Knights of the Old Republic™
Star Wars® Knights of the Old Republic® II: The Sith Lords™
The Incredible Hulk™: Ultimate Destruction
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Series
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six® 3 Series
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell® Series
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater™ 4
XIII

Despite low reviews, Grabbed and XIII are fun.

Games missing from the list that I would recommend watching for :

Code:

Project Gotham 1 & 2
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Phantom Dust
GUNVALKRIE
Crimson Sea
MechAssault
MechAssault2

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
warning

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2006, 03:48:01 PM »

Yeah Forza looks like a no-brainer.  I just need to find a copy.

What's Metal Arms?  I never heard of it and three people have already recommended it.  I'm going to have to check this one out further.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2006, 04:29:04 PM »

It's almost a FPS.. you play Glitch, similar to the little robot (#5) from short circuit. You get weapons n crap and you are going up against some big evil mfgring or somesuch. Anyways, glitch can take over bad guys as well as battling out himself.

Awesome game; I played the demo but could never find the game used at the right price.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2006, 06:20:59 PM »

Quote from: "warning"
Yeah Forza looks like a no-brainer.  I just need to find a copy.

What's Metal Arms?  I never heard of it and three people have already recommended it.  I'm going to have to check this one out further.

You might be able to find a PGR3/Forza bundle at Wal-Mart for $30, IIRC.  YMMV though.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2006, 09:10:46 PM »

good luck.  i heard the good word about Metal Arms when it was on clearance from CircuitCity for $4 nearly six months ago...couldn't find it then and have been keeping an eye out for a copy for months now without any luck.  i haven't looked into buying it online, but you'll probably have a really hard time finding it in any B&M store.

i did pick up another fun game during that CC clearance sale though...Sphinx & the Cursed Mummy.  fun platformer with a good sense of humor and pretty diverse gameplay.  it's worth a shot if you can find it cheap as well Cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2006, 09:16:16 PM »

One more thumbs up for Metal Arms.  It's long, has a couple difficult areas, but overall it's a great game full of action and humor.

Also add Oddworld: Stranger to the watch list.  It's right up there with MA in my X-Box favorites list.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2006, 09:16:40 PM »

XIII? XIII?!

Definitely gotta agree on Starwars Knights of the old republic 1 & 2 and Starwars battlefront 1 & 2 though. KOTOR felt like a singleplayer MMORPG that really brought you into the game, a true classic.

If MS ever adds them - Counter-Strike and Unreal Championship 2 are too more classics. Counter-Strike had to be my all-time favorite Xbox game (yes I know there's a PC version too) that's now just sitting around collecting dust while I wait and hope MS make it backwards compatible. I almost traded in my PSP for an original xbox just to start playing it again.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2006, 01:14:18 AM »

Quote from: "disarm"
i did pick up another fun game during that CC clearance sale though...Sphinx & the Cursed Mummy.  fun platformer with a good sense of humor and pretty diverse gameplay.  it's worth a shot if you can find it cheap as well Cool

I agree about that game...I bought it cheap and had a lot of fun with it.  If you enjoy platformers it's definitely worth a look.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2006, 01:57:52 AM »

Quote from: "corruptrelic"
XIII? XIII?!

I think XIII is pretty underrated- great style, interesting story, huge variety of weapons and levels, etc.  I don't get the hate.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2006, 02:09:54 AM »

When there are so many other better games out there based on the unreal engine (as XIII was) why bother with it?
I played the PS2 version and if I remember correctly it only had 6 players! Nobody ever played it online, the bots were "iffy", gameplay limited to 6 players, and while the graphics looked interesting (cell-shaded) it still seemed behind the times.

In such a crowded FPS market with classics like Counter-Strike, Unreal Championship 1 & 2, Starwars Battlefront, and others out there, is it really that hard to see why XIII was over looked? It didn't offer anything new to the table except it's style of graphics.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2006, 02:29:47 AM »

It didn't offer anything new to the table except it's style of graphics.

Well that is something right there.  No bald space marines?  Well that's a nice little bullet point on your sell sheet right there.  Plus an interesting plot can certainly set your game apart from the "me too" FPS crowd.  I guess if you read French and follow the comic it must have been cool.

I like under-appreciated (may read: crap) FPS titles so I'm probably not the best person to ask.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2006, 03:29:56 AM »

When there are so many other better games out there based on the unreal engine (as XIII was) why bother with it?
I played the PS2 version and if I remember correctly it only had 6 players! Nobody ever played it online, the bots were "iffy", gameplay limited to 6 players, and while the graphics looked interesting (cell-shaded) it still seemed behind the times.

In such a crowded FPS market with classics like Counter-Strike, Unreal Championship 1 & 2, Starwars Battlefront, and others out there, is it really that hard to see why XIII was over looked? It didn't offer anything new to the table except it's style of graphics.

Comparing PS2 ports to XBOX is like comparing a bicycle to a motorcycle. The Xbox version was much better. Also, Counter-strike on xbox was panned by most gaming sites for being lacklustre and not at all worth the coin. Since you enjoy it, it shows different strokes. Unreal Championship 1 was horrid. I didn't personally like the battlefront ones (I only recommended them due to popular taste).

Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2006, 03:53:09 AM »

Quote from: "Jancelot"

Also add Oddworld: Stranger to the watch list.  It's right up there with MA in my X-Box favorites list.

Unfortunately, it's not backwards compatible (yet, hopefully)
warning

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2006, 04:15:24 AM »

Well that and a story-driven single-player game.  I never played enough of it to see if it was any good but it certainly was designed to be a different game than the ones you mentioned.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2006, 04:34:25 AM »

I wasn't even aware that XIII had an online mode- I'm talking pretty much strictly single player and it certainly differentiated itself a bit from the pack there.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2006, 06:52:28 AM »

I spent some more time with Halo tonight.  I got through 343 Guilty Spark and The Library and I seriously hate the Flood.  Actually I didn't die too much - maybe just 2-3 times and that's when I let myself get overwhelmed and surrounded.  Most of the time I just took my time and progressively worked my way through.  I did love the Sentinals when they showed up.  I wish I had a pack of about 10 to follow me around the level.

Speaking of the level... The Library needed to be half the size it was or else they really needed to vary the environment a bit.  I kept thinking maybe I'd wind up in the snow again or something but instead it was just dimly-lit hallways and rooms.  That has to be one of my least favorite levels ever.

Please tell me that Halo 2 doesn't ever get this repetitive and irritating?
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2006, 07:24:52 AM »

The game really drags in the middle, but picks back up after "The Library", as you're no longer fighting just the Flood.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2006, 09:03:19 AM »

I wasn't even aware that XIII had an online mode- I'm talking pretty much strictly single player and it certainly differentiated itself a bit from the pack there.

Well I never really played the campaign beyond the first 5 minutes as I didn't find it at all amusing. Usually I only play through the campaign if you've got some AI buddies (call of duty style) backing you up.

There was an online portion to the game in all versions except the gamecube one. Each version had its own multiplayer gametype (think the xbox version was some kind of plant the bomb mode - which btw I played both the ps2 version and xbox versions come to think of it) and had full offline bot support so you could practice on any of the multiplayer maps/modes offline with AI players.
Which is good, because if you get XIII today on the PS2, you can't register a new account with ubisoft through the game anymore. You can go to the webpage on your PC and register one, then go back to the PS2 and log online, but of course, there's not a single person online to play against.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2006, 12:12:16 PM »

The Library is pretty infamous for being a horrible level so it's pretty much uphill from there.  Halo 2 doesn't have anything near that annoying.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2006, 03:09:58 PM »

10 levels of MoTS. That's what it is. Use grenades,

The flood in Halo2 is better / worse.

They are less prominent or abundant, but those little fuckers will go all head-crab and reanimate corpses. The nice thing is that you can burn the bodies.

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2006, 03:43:42 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
The Library is pretty infamous for being a horrible level so it's pretty much uphill from there.  Halo 2 doesn't have anything near that annoying.

If you ignore pretty much the whole game then yeah, Halo 2 isn't anywhere near as annoying. Especially the non-ending. slywink

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2006, 03:53:33 PM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"
If you ignore pretty much the whole game then yeah, Halo 2 isn't anywhere near as annoying. Especially the non-ending. slywink

How can I put this eloquently? Oh, yah!

STFU N00B. Halo2 FTW slywink

What happened in Empire Strikes back? Did the good guys win? No. Obi died, Luke lost a hand, Vader STILL hadn't had a change of clothing, and they were all headed to carebear land in the sequel.

How is THAT an ending?

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2006, 11:36:59 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"

I found Halo 2 pretty disappointing compared to what I expected it to be after three years of development but I still enjoyed playing it overall.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2006, 11:52:51 PM »

Quote from: "Purge"

How can I put this eloquently? Oh, yah!

STFU N00B. Halo2 FTW slywink

What happened in Empire Strikes back? Did the good guys win? No. Obi died, Luke lost a hand, Vader STILL hadn't had a change of clothing, and they were all headed to carebear land in the sequel.

How is THAT an ending?

But ESB actually ended, unlike Halo 2. The best comparison I can think of is ESB ending right after Vader chops off Luke's hand. No conclusion or anything. It just stops and rolls the credits.

Of course, I'm still really bitter of Halo 2's ending due to how it ended for me - I had been bounced to another level, and while I was looking for a way back down/up, my buddies killed the boss (either that, or the boss fell down the nearby pit). I didn't fire the finishing shot or anything - it just ended.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2006, 04:52:23 PM »

I apologize if this is a repeat or or if either game is not BC... in a hurry right now and had to skim...

Anyone mention Riddick yet, or Thief 3?  Two of my all-time favorite games.  And if you dont like Doom 3, go straight to Doom 4! :wink:

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2006, 06:02:27 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
But ESB actually ended, unlike Halo 2. The best comparison I can think of is ESB ending right after Vader chops off Luke's hand. No conclusion or anything. It just stops and rolls the credits.

Not true. Cortana was captured ... just like Han Solo, the Covenant is mobilizing on earth (EXACTLY what the death-star was doing at the end of ESB... following the millenium falcons movement), and at least MC didn't lose a hand. The ending for me was satisfactory. Something like SYNDICATE didn't have an ending. Just because you didn't get an MGS 40min CGI movie doesn't mean you hadn't been getting storyline whilst playing.

As to you not killing the brute; who's fault is THAT?! Yours, for not killing him. I applaud an AI that *actually* helps out slywink

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2006, 01:24:35 AM »

Quote from: "mytocles"
I apologize if this is a repeat or or if either game is not BC... in a hurry right now and had to skim...

Anyone mention Riddick yet, or Thief 3?  Two of my all-time favorite games.  And if you dont like Doom 3, go straight to Doom 4! :wink:

I agree that Chronicles of Riddick is an awesome game, but unfortunately it's not on the BC list yet.  Thief: Deadly Shadows is, though.

Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2006, 02:01:07 AM »

My 10 year-old is begging me to buy a 2nd controller so I can play it through co-op with him.

Do it right away before he grows older and discovers girls and house parties.

They corrupted me.

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
warning

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2006, 01:42:08 PM »

Well I'm down to the last level - The Maw.  Once I got out of The Library everything did pick up.  I'm not a huge fan of backtracking through levels but I was so busy kicking Covenant and Flood ass that I didn't notice much.  Hunters used to scare the hell outta me but I found the spot on their back that is their weak-point so they go down pretty quickly now.

My major complaint with Halo is the vehicle control.  I'm using the default controls and pushing the left stick forward accelerates and the right stick steers.  Which goes against years of Playstation/Playstation 2 training where the left stick steers and the right stick accelerates and brakes.  I'm not sure why they did it this way.  They could have at least mapped accelerate to a button.  I know the end of the last level is a long vehicle run and I'm really not looking forward to it.  I don't see any way to remap controls for vehicles specifically without changing the regular movement controls.

I played a little more Crimson Skies and jeez this game is gorgeous!  I now have a gyrocopter which is pretty cool.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2006, 02:15:46 PM »

Well I'm down to the last level - The Maw.  Once I got out of The Library everything did pick up.  I'm not a huge fan of backtracking through levels but I was so busy kicking Covenant and Flood ass that I didn't notice much.  Hunters used to scare the hell outta me but I found the spot on their back that is their weak-point so they go down pretty quickly now.

My major complaint with Halo is the vehicle control.  I'm using the default controls and pushing the left stick forward accelerates and the right stick steers.  Which goes against years of Playstation/Playstation 2 training where the left stick steers and the right stick accelerates and brakes.  I'm not sure why they did it this way.  They could have at least mapped accelerate to a button.  I know the end of the last level is a long vehicle run and I'm really not looking forward to it.  I don't see any way to remap controls for vehicles specifically without changing the regular movement controls.

I played a little more Crimson Skies and jeez this game is gorgeous!  I now have a gyrocopter which is pretty cool.

My guess is that they carried over the on foot controls, where left analog moves you forward and back and right analog is for aiming.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2006, 03:03:08 PM »

before trying to complete the maw, play the first level and get good with driving at different speeds. Try running over covenant forces to get better with controls.

ALSO, there are SHORTCUTS. Use em. They save SO MUCH TIME.

the nice thing about the analog vehicle control is that you have more than just Rev/stop/GO options.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2006, 01:15:12 AM »

Quote from: "Purge"
the nice thing about the analog vehicle control is that you have more than just Rev/stop/GO options.

Well, considering the triggers and buttons on the XBox controller are also analog, you get that in pretty much every driving game.

warning

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2006, 03:22:45 AM »

And DONE!  Wow that was a fun ending!  I made it in two tries.  The first time I waited for the dropship like a good boy and when it exploded I missed my ship by a couple of seconds.  The second time I left the dropship in the dust and got to the end with plenty of time to spare.

Glad to say I've completed Halo finally.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: