http://gamingtrend.com
September 03, 2014, 03:12:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WARNING - 360 Bricking Update for GHII  (Read 2208 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: April 15, 2007, 05:18:29 PM »

People all over the tubes are reporting that the patch to fix the whammy bar on GHII is briking 360s.

http://www.destructoid.com/red-octane-fixes-whammy-bar-ruins-everything-else-30996.phtml
http://forum.guitarherogame.com/Default.aspx?g=topics&f=3

While I can't confirm it at this point, tread with caution.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2007, 06:06:59 PM »

How in the why frick... a single game patch should not brick a system.  I can understand it causing that game to lock up (although that shouldn't happen, either), but it shouldn't affect the system itself.  Sweet jebus. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2007, 06:15:05 PM »

Um... what the fuck?

gellar
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2007, 06:22:47 PM »

I actually do not understand how this is even possible...
Zimix

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2007, 06:27:15 PM »

Mine patched without any problems.

You would think they would have tested this patch out.  It was bad enough that the game was released with "faulty" guitars.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 06:31:44 PM by Zimix » Logged
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2007, 06:32:34 PM »

I have Downloaded with no problems

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2007, 07:33:14 PM »

Can't you people read?  This thread was CLEARLY MARKED for WARNING.   slywink

Seriously though I'd hate to think that this update is tanking systems, but I figured I'd toss the warning out just in case.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2007, 07:53:56 PM »

Would that make Harmonix or whoever publishes GH2 responsible for replacing our systems if their update bricks it?

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2007, 08:04:21 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on April 15, 2007, 07:53:56 PM

Would that make Harmonix or whoever publishes GH2 responsible for replacing our systems if their update bricks it?

*sniff*
I love the smell of class action in the morning. 

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2007, 08:23:47 PM »

The problem is that from all the reports I've seen it isn't an acutal "bricking" of the system (like a bad BIOS overwrite or something) but they get lockups and red rings some period after they update the game and then play for a little bit.  It's hard to prove direct causality for something like that, and I doubt we will hear official word about it. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2007, 08:30:10 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on April 15, 2007, 07:33:14 PM

I figured I'd toss the warning out just in case.

That hurts, Ron. After all we've been through.  That just... hurts.   crybaby
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2007, 08:30:51 PM »

It sounds just like every other "OMFG THIS GAME BRICKED MY 360" craze.

No, nothing bricked your 360. Your 360 bricked all on it's own because it's an unreliable badly thought out piece of hardware. You just happened to be playing Game A while it happened.

And what in god's name is with these damned vertical lines that are appearing on the left side in a bunch of posts now?

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2007, 08:32:20 PM »

People claimed the exact same thing when Dead Rising came out.

I think it has to do with the fact that both Dead Rising and GHII are 'making' people play for many more hours than their system is used to and thus exposing the already flawed 360 hardware durability that we all knew about.
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2007, 09:40:04 PM »

Quote from: gellar on April 15, 2007, 06:15:05 PM

Um... what the FLUFFY BUNNIES?

gellar

Fixed that for ya!   icon_wink

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2007, 10:02:59 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on April 15, 2007, 07:53:56 PM

Almost certainly not.  MS certifies all patches that go out over Live so they would have some responsibility *if* this were true. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2007, 10:44:32 PM »

I figured I'd toss warning just in case.

eek

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2007, 11:22:36 PM »

Quote from: Thin_J on April 15, 2007, 08:30:51 PM

It sounds just like every other "OMFG THIS GAME BRICKED MY 360" craze.

No, nothing bricked your 360. Your 360 bricked all on it's own because it's an unreliable badly thought out piece of hardware. You just happened to be playing Game A while it happened.

Going to have to give a "ditto" to that. Every major/popular game that's come out has been blamed for bricking people's 360's. icon_biggrin Heck, I could blame Viva Pinata for bricking mine last fall, but I know it wasn't the game's fault.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2007, 01:41:53 AM »

Quote from: Farscry
Heck, I could blame Viva Pinata for bricking mine last fall, but I know it wasn't the game's fault.

OMFG DO0D TEH PINAATASS BRICKT UR CONSOL!!1!1!!!11!

unbreakable
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2007, 05:25:35 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 15, 2007, 10:44:32 PM

I figured I'd toss warning just in case.

eek

Damn, you even shocked Naked Bill and Naked Alex on that one.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2007, 11:19:47 AM »

Quote from: warning on April 15, 2007, 08:30:10 PM

I figured I'd toss the warning out just in case.

That hurts, Ron. After all we've been through.  That just... hurts.   crybaby

I am hiding, waiting in the wings Warning..your time will come.
Raider H
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2007, 03:44:20 PM »

Been lurking since the early days of gone & console gold and well this topic finally pulled me out of the woodwork.  I guess for all you know I could just be some PS3 fanboy trying to smear MS, but anyway I digress.

I purchased and played GHII for about an hour before my first system lockup.  I've got the 55 guitar but had no whammy bar problems.  Also this is pre-patch.  Didn't think much about it, reset and got about 20 minutes in before another lockup.  Started to get concerned at that point.  Unplugged and replugged everything.  Got about 5 minutes in before system lockup.  Unplugged and replugged again, then the system redringed on me (3 quadrant hardware failure ring).  Left the system unplugged for 3 days and got it to boot again, but now it is randomly locking up usually before I can get into the dashboard.  Every now and then I can get to the dashboard and load a game and it will lock within 1 to 2 minutes of playing (any game).

Anyway, just food for thought from someone who has seen this first hand, pre-patch.  Clearly I'm in the minority because I know plenty of people who haven't had a problem either pre or post patch.  Might have just been my system's time to die, but it was pretty coincidental.

RH
warning

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2007, 03:48:15 PM »

Glad you're here and that sucks about your 360.  Ugh.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2007, 03:50:02 PM »

Welcome to the site, Raider! Sorry to hear about your RRoDs.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2007, 04:13:16 PM »

Yes, Raider, Welcome Aboard!  nod

So it took me reading several replies to figure out what GHII was.... sigh... If I'd known what a whammy bar was it might have been faster, I suspect.  I also thought  the whole Brick thing meant the Power Brick.  I"m havinig a slow start to my day, apparently.

I'm one of the lucky ones, my 360 has almost been on 24/7 as many of you on my friend's list can verify.  It has frozen on a game perhaps three or four times since it's birth on launch day... once or twice on Oblivion, and once or twice on FFXI, both totally understandable.

My problem is - I have two 360's - and was considering GHII (woot!) for the upstairs machine.  Now I'm wondering if I should wait on it - I may have to anyway as I thought I saw a blurb somewhere about it being sold out.   icon_confused

So keep the responses coming, please, and if you see anything concrete about the "next batch" of games or guitars being perfect, lol, let me know!

icon_razz

Damn, you even shocked Naked Bill and Naked Alex on that one.

unbreakable! One big LMAO to you!  thumbsup

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Raider H
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2007, 04:32:48 PM »

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.  Mytocles, if you do grab GHII I'd recommend getting it from Sam's as they are selling it for about $77, versus $89 at places like BB, CC, & GS.

One other note on the GHII guitars.  I think the 65 versions feel better than the 55 versions.  My 55 has a very soft feel to the buttons but my friend's 65 has a much firmer "click" to them.  It's similar to the difference between a soft click and hard click keyboard, not quite as pronounced but easily noticeable when you switch from one to the other.

RH
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2007, 07:46:54 PM »

Quote from: Raider H on April 16, 2007, 03:44:20 PM

Been lurking since the early days of gone & console gold and well this topic finally pulled me out of the woodwork.  I guess for all you know I could just be some PS3 fanboy trying to smear MS, but anyway I digress.

I purchased and played GHII for about an hour before my first system lockup.  I've got the 55 guitar but had no whammy bar problems.  Also this is pre-patch.  Didn't think much about it, reset and got about 20 minutes in before another lockup.  Started to get concerned at that point.  Unplugged and replugged everything.  Got about 5 minutes in before system lockup.  Unplugged and replugged again, then the system redringed on me (3 quadrant hardware failure ring).  Left the system unplugged for 3 days and got it to boot again, but now it is randomly locking up usually before I can get into the dashboard.  Every now and then I can get to the dashboard and load a game and it will lock within 1 to 2 minutes of playing (any game).

Anyway, just food for thought from someone who has seen this first hand, pre-patch.  Clearly I'm in the minority because I know plenty of people who haven't had a problem either pre or post patch.  Might have just been my system's time to die, but it was pretty coincidental.

RH

Welcome to the site RH.  Sorry to hear that this bit you in the tail. frown  Have you talked to MS or Red Octane?

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Raider H
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2007, 10:12:11 PM »

I called MS and they were reasonably helpful after the second try.  They are supposed to be sending me a box via UPS to send back the 360 for repairs.  That was a week ago today but I'm still waiting on the box.  I'll let you know how it turns out.  I was only about 300 points from finishing the Old Spice Challenge which I could have easily grabbed with GHII so I got screwed on that one.  In an apparent token of reconciliation MS says I'll get one month free of Live for my troubles; it was hard to contain my excitement.  I'm not sure how exactly they think that's some sort of 'bonus' seeing that I'm likely without my 360 for at least 3 weeks where I can't use the service I've already paid for.  I'm just playing more Wii these days instead, and hoping that we'll see some better quality games for it soon.

RH
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2007, 12:23:23 AM »

i'm with mytocles here

i want to pick this up, but not willing to screw my system up for it. 

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2007, 12:41:54 AM »

Quote from: Xmann on April 19, 2007, 12:23:23 AM

i'm with mytocles here

I have yet to see any real evidence that is what is happening.
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2007, 12:49:25 AM »

Quote from: Lee on April 19, 2007, 12:41:54 AM

Quote from: Xmann on April 19, 2007, 12:23:23 AM

i'm with mytocles here

I have yet to see any real evidence that is what is happening.

Same here.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2007, 02:19:39 AM »

So does this patch auto-update if you have GHII in your 360 and connect to Live? Or does it give you the option to patch? I ask because in the next few months I'm interested in joining the 360 throngs but I'm going to continue to avoid it if the bricking continues.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2007, 03:02:51 AM »

It asks you if you want to do the auto-update but I don't know if it lets you continue into the game or if it kicks you back to the dashboard if you reject it.

That said, I'm still very much of the mind that the idea of the software causing the hardware failures when the hardware already fails at an almost guaranteed regular rate anyway is just complete silly internet garbage.

Given the way 360's tend to fail anyway (On another board I frequent I'm pretty sure we're a bit over 50% of the 360 owners on the board having had repairs or replacements already) I find it hard to attribute the failure to a download update when said people just happen to be putting a lot of hours into a new game.

mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2007, 06:22:59 AM »

Hmmmm... lots to think about! Just that I have two perfectly working 360's that still makes me worry a bit!

So keep the reports coming plz...  maybe by the time the game is back in stock it will be an easy decision! We can always hope lol!  Roll Eyes

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Kratz
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2007, 04:55:46 PM »

You can just decline the patch... it asks you every time you start if you want to do the update now, or later...  I've just been saying 'later'.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2007, 09:12:48 PM »

i updated my launch 360 a few days ago and have played a ton of GH2 since without a single problem.  i have one of the so-called 'defective' guitars, but it's always worked great...no whammy bar issues at all before the patch, and it works just the same now.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Raider H
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2007, 04:31:58 PM »

Just wanted to update that I finally got my 360 back yesterday.  Rather than repair it, looks like they just sent me a different one.  My original had a manufacture date in 2005 and this one was in June 2006.  Process wasn't too bad, just took a while and they didn't send me a 1 month live subscription in the box like the cover letter indicates.  I immediately started in on GHII, and got about 2 hours with it.  No issues thus far, looks like I'm in the clear.

One note that I'm wondering if anyone has a solution to.  It's regarding the fact that your downloads are locked to the console serial number which means you can't play any games offline anymore once you have a repaired console if they didn't send the same one back to you (which I bet they rarely do).  So now if my broadband is out or I take my 360 to a friends or if I'm on the road etc.. I can only play the trial versions of all my arcade games that I paid for.  Microsoft apparently ignores the issue altogether from what I have read in their knowledge base and the forums and just states generically that in order to play a game on a console other than the one it was originally downloaded on you must have a broadband connection and be connected to Xbox Live.  Since there are tens of thousands of customers who have busted systems that received refurbished ones with a different serial number you would think they would address this issue directly.

This also has me thinking that anyone who upgrades to the Elite is also going to lose the ability to play the full versions of their arcade games offline since the Elite will have a different serial number than their original 360.  Microsoft must have considered there could be potential backlash from this right?  Do they already have a solution in place?

RH
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2007, 05:39:04 PM »

I had a 360 replaced recently as well, and I have had no problem playing any arcade games.  In fact, it's as though nothing has changed.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Raider H
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2007, 06:11:37 PM »

The issue only happens if you aren't connected to the internet.  As long as you are signed in with your gamertag then MS validates that you have paid for the content and will let you access the full versions.
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2007, 06:17:20 PM »

IIRC, they should take care of reassinging your new serial # to your account.  At least that's what I recall my cover letter telling me.  Log on to xbox.com and you can check the serial # associated with your account.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2007, 07:28:36 PM »

Here's an on topic question, as I'm getting tired of waiting to apply the patch.  How many people here have had problems?  Wait, why don't you answer in a poll!

http://www.gamingtrend.com/forums/index.php/topic,19836.new.html#new

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: