http://gamingtrend.com
July 26, 2014, 09:37:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PC] Warlock: Master of the Arcane  (Read 2057 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: August 29, 2011, 06:05:23 PM »

Paradox's next venture into Ardania is going to be a turn based game. 

Warlock: Master of the Arcane invites players to take on the role of the Great Mage and build a powerful magical empire, giving mightly mages the ability to control armies and wield magic to wage war against another, as they compete with other wizards for the title of Warlock.

Features

* Research and master dozens of spells, conjure strong enchantments and find out powerful spell combinations
    * Use the forces of three races, along with summons and wild creatures
    * Innovating city management system with less routine actions
    * Epic battles with large armies marching across the landscape

sounds like they're going for another Master of Magic. 
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 04:03:47 AM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 05:24:02 AM »

beta applications are up: http://beta.paradoxplaza.com/

Because I can,
Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 07:50:18 AM »

New Master of Magic?
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 08:36:39 AM »

From the screenshots, they ripped off Civ5 completely...

A new one
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 12:29:02 PM »

Where can I see those screen shots?

I am all for a fantasy/magic based game ripping off civ 5 completely.    icon_twisted
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 12:31:50 PM »

hehe, yeah, I can get behind that as well, actually - its just weird that it seems a direct ripoff of Civ5

http://www.paradoxplaza.com/games/warlock-master-of-the-arcane

A new one
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2011, 12:35:49 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on December 09, 2011, 12:31:50 PM

hehe, yeah, I can get behind that as well, actually - its just weird that it seems a direct ripoff of Civ5

http://www.paradoxplaza.com/games/warlock-master-of-the-arcane

Wow, when you said ripped off civ 5 completely you were not joking.   eek

Anyways, civ 5 already got over 200 hours+ from me, so, if this one runs smooth..
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 06:58:15 PM »

new interview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxXjVKbHmbA&feature=player_embedded

Because I can,
Enigma
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, 10:09:42 PM »

Looks promising.  The developer didn't reveal too much exciting about the game other than it's inspiration is MoM, Civ games and Majesty.  I'll be watching this one and Fallen Enchantress.

Why is it so hard to just redo MoM and get it right?  I mean how many years has it been and what good fantasy world builders do we have?

Now Playing:
PS3: Demon Souls
PC:   Diablo III, Saints Row 3, Anno 1404 (Dawn of Discovery)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 10:25:22 PM »

looks like they've started the closed beta for this  ninja

Because I can,
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2012, 07:31:34 PM »

Steam has a demo for the game, and it looks like it will launch on May 8 for $19.99.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2012, 09:09:08 PM »

Oo, I'll wait for a review or two, but good chance I'll pick this up. I'm digging the new trend of some $20 price point games. Gotta support.
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2012, 04:11:42 AM »

Hmm.  I forgot I was in some beta for this.  It's been sitting in my steam games.  I figured the least I could do is check it out for you guys.

I'm sure this is obvious to everyone else, but Warlock is set in the Majesty universe.   So all the gods, units, spells and races from Majesty (especially 2 + expansions) are found in this game.  As someone who enjoyed the recent games, that's a big plus.  This also gave me a bit of a feel for the interrelation of the large numbers of unit types.

I'll use Civilization as the template since the developers obviously did.  You start by choosing your warlock.  This is a civ leader that determines your starting faction.  You also choose a difficulty level, world size and shape, number of opponents and number of worlds.  The world concept is a bit of a twist.  Among the resources scattered across the world are gates.  These will take your units another world.  These are harder areas.  The adviser implies that the demon world in Majesty 2 is such a place.   He also mentions that you'll need a powerful army to conquer other worlds though they can be scouted with disposable units.

Anyway back to the game.  Your leader is like the one is Civ.  There's no corresponding unit to your leader.  You make the executive decisions, what to build, what units to create, diplomatic relations and running the economy.  You have basic resources of food, money, mana, and territory.  Territory is divided into hexes and expands as your cities grow until it reaches a foreign border.  Of course, cities grow when they have surplus food.  Food comes from farms and mana comes from mana farms.  You can build structures that increase the output of your farms.  Money is more complex but you probably know the basics (income based on population and resources minus expenses).

Your tech tree is more like a RTS.  You need to build structures to unlock new units.  Your research is directed towards learning new spells.  I haven't done much spell casting since I've had problems keeping my mana reserves growing.  This might be due to my choice to use the high priestess of Krypta as my warlock.  I think all those undead units have a mana cost.

There are independent city states around the world in addition to your opponents countries.  I've also run into some packs of wild animals.  I've seen some minor demons running around, but I don't know if they're coming through a gate or if my undiscovered opponent is of the demonic faction. 

Thus far there are no stacks so each unit holds a hex.  Ranged units can fire at range.  Otherwise combat is bumping into another unit.  You get a tool tip battle projection before you engage an enemy.   Thus far, early in my game, I've conquered a city state that attacked me.  I had a brief war with the Rat King when he plopped a settlement down right in my expansion area.   I conquered that settlement and then bought peace with gold since I didn't want a major war too early.

I had a little extra gold due to quests.  Your adviser will bring you quests from time to time.  They are timed goals.  Some have penalties if you fail.  I've only had simple quests with money rewards thus far.  The adviser mentioned that you can also get quests from the gods.  The gods don't like it when you refuse or fail their quests.  Your warlock actually has a relationship standing with each of the gods.   Naturally, my priestess has a good relationship with Krypta (death) and is opposed by Agrela (life).  I'm not sure how that will play out later, but it sound interesting.

Let's see.  The city state I conquered lets me build lizardmen and goblin units.  The rat settlement seems to open up rat units, but I haven't explored it yet.  I've researched buff spells, summoning spells and attack spells.  In addition to attacking, combat units can be ordered to rest (heal) or defend.  Towns have a basic defense value based on size and will range attack after your turn ends.  I also saw a fort structure that attacked independently from the town to make it harder for a small army to take a town.  AI on normal hasn't been noticeably weak or impressive.  It does seem fairly aggressive.

Overall, the 'just one more turn' factor has been impressively high.  Combined with the Majesty setting, I'm enjoying the beta and the game.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Hrnac
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2012, 02:09:28 PM »

Nice write up Hrothgar. I just downloaded the Steam demo and will fire it up and see how the game looks first hand. I am very interested in this game, especially at $19.99.

-Hrnac

Never do today what can be done tomorrow.
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2012, 10:13:13 PM »

I've put some extensive time into the demo and I entirely disagree with Hrothgar - this game is weak.  I love TBS strategy games, but not this one.  

The game looks and feels like a Civ V mod and that's not necessarily bad, but this feels like a dumbed-down amateur mod.  Instead of having a tech tree, you have a pretty paltry set of spells to research.  I could deal with that, but the spell animations are pretty weak and sometimes it's tough to even figure out if the spell did anything.  Otherwise, it's like HOMM - build structures to build certain types of units.  Again, that's not necessarily bad, but there's very little real strategy involved in picking which building to build next.  The diplomacy options are pathetic - there's nothing more than bribing characters to not attack you now.  So diplomacy may as well not exist.  As far as strategy goes, I don't think there's all that much there.  Yeah, choosing buildings to build (very limited by population caps) is pretty decent, but there doesn't seem to be any penalties for city spam or unit spam.  Spam more cities = more gold = more units = win.  It's that simple.  As such, there's very little strategy involved.

Simply put, it's a Civ 5 mod that's poorly thought through.  The AI and strategy portions are weak and so the game is boiled down to a city-spam, unit-spam game.  There's apparently no depth here.

Also, here's a Eurogamer preview that pretty much says the same thing:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-04-09-warlock-master-of-the-arcane-preview-reviving-microproses-magic
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 10:15:47 PM by Blackadar » Logged

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2012, 12:03:19 AM »

I will probably love this if you and Eurogamer both hated it
Hrnac
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2012, 01:15:30 AM »

Quote from: Blackadar on April 29, 2012, 10:13:13 PM

I've put some extensive time into the demo and I entirely disagree with Hrothgar - this game is weak.  I love TBS strategy games, but not this one.  

The game looks and feels like a Civ V mod and that's not necessarily bad, but this feels like a dumbed-down amateur mod.  Instead of having a tech tree, you have a pretty paltry set of spells to research.  I could deal with that, but the spell animations are pretty weak and sometimes it's tough to even figure out if the spell did anything.  Otherwise, it's like HOMM - build structures to build certain types of units.  Again, that's not necessarily bad, but there's very little real strategy involved in picking which building to build next.  The diplomacy options are pathetic - there's nothing more than bribing characters to not attack you now.  So diplomacy may as well not exist.  As far as strategy goes, I don't think there's all that much there.  Yeah, choosing buildings to build (very limited by population caps) is pretty decent, but there doesn't seem to be any penalties for city spam or unit spam.  Spam more cities = more gold = more units = win.  It's that simple.  As such, there's very little strategy involved.

Simply put, it's a Civ 5 mod that's poorly thought through.  The AI and strategy portions are weak and so the game is boiled down to a city-spam, unit-spam game.  There's apparently no depth here.

Also, here's a Eurogamer preview that pretty much says the same thing:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-04-09-warlock-master-of-the-arcane-preview-reviving-microproses-magic

You must be playing a different game than I am. I see a game with great potential and don't really see the issues that you are pointing out. I am very happy to have a MoM inspired game set in the Majesty universe with a CiV 5 inspired UI. What 4x game isn't a race to build cities and spam units? This isn't intended to be a deep empire building game. It is a faster paced game more like the Age of Wonders series and Master of Magic. I will agree that a tech tree would have been nice, but MoM and AoW did not have them and they were also great games.

-Hrnac

Never do today what can be done tomorrow.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2012, 05:15:31 AM »

I went ahead and grabbed this today...something to keep me occupied until D3 comes out.  Put in about 4 hours and really quite enjoyed it.  Keep in mind though, I've never really been able to wrap my head around the complexity of Civ games, and was probably one of the few who preferred Civ Revolutions (the dumbed down console version) to the full PC version.  All the criticisms about Warlock above are valid (less than stellar AI, not much depth in magic or city building, etc., etc.), but I actually found that made the game more enjoyable rather than less.  I'm sure that I'm very much in the minority though, and most Civ fans who are looking for something "epic" will get bored of Warlock in a hurry.

If you think you may enjoy something that's a little less taxing on the strategic side of your brain and enjoy the Majesty universe, I'd recommend giving it a look.   Reminds me a bit of Hinterlands in that regard...a "lite" version of the more serious strategy games that comes together to be quite fun to play.  If you're looking for the next big 4X game, this isn't it.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2012, 10:17:38 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on May 13, 2012, 05:15:31 AM

I went ahead and grabbed this today...something to keep me occupied until D3 comes out.  Put in about 4 hours and really quite enjoyed it.  Keep in mind though, I've never really been able to wrap my head around the complexity of Civ games, and was probably one of the few who preferred Civ Revolutions (the dumbed down console version) to the full PC version.  All the criticisms about Warlock above are valid (less than stellar AI, not much depth in magic or city building, etc., etc.), but I actually found that made the game more enjoyable rather than less.  I'm sure that I'm very much in the minority though, and most Civ fans who are looking for something "epic" will get bored of Warlock in a hurry.

If you think you may enjoy something that's a little less taxing on the strategic side of your brain and enjoy the Majesty universe, I'd recommend giving it a look.   Reminds me a bit of Hinterlands in that regard...a "lite" version of the more serious strategy games that comes together to be quite fun to play.  If you're looking for the next big 4X game, this isn't it.

I picked it up and have been enjoying it as well, and I'm a long-time Civ player (starting back with the original Civ 1).  The city building, tech, and diplomacy is all simpler than Civ.  But that lets you focus more on the combat.  

I like what they've done with the religious pantheon, where gaining favor with one god also grants you favor with other gods close to them in the wheel of gods and emnity with gods on the other side.  The god spells and units add a lot of flair to the game.  For example, my last game I built temples to Helia (Warlock's Apollo) and was able to built mighty archer units.  Another game I worshiped Agrela their equivalent of Gaia and had great healing units.  Agrela's brother Dauros is next to her on the wheel.  So while my affinity was higher with Agrela, I was still able to cast Dauros's mighty protective spells in my first game.  In my second game, Helia and Dauros aren't diametrically opposed, so I could cast a few of his spells, but the spells were weaker.  I was completely locked out of spells from the other side of the wheel.
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2012, 11:00:23 PM »

Hey all.  I've been tempted to buy this game because Master of Magic may very well be my favorite game of all time.  But, I was concerned with the bugs and poor AI I read about in reviews, and also about the fact that many people think it's too simple to be compared to MoM.  Well, I see that several patches have come out already, so I was wondering how it's playing right now?  And, would an MoM lover enjoy it? 

I remember back in the early part of the decade that Age of Wonders wasn't too bad, but it was missing some of the empire building magic.  Is this kind of a cross between MoM and that game?
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2012, 12:05:36 PM »

Quote from: Fez on May 24, 2012, 11:00:23 PM

Hey all.  I've been tempted to buy this game because Master of Magic may very well be my favorite game of all time.  But, I was concerned with the bugs and poor AI I read about in reviews, and also about the fact that many people think it's too simple to be compared to MoM.  Well, I see that several patches have come out already, so I was wondering how it's playing right now?  And, would an MoM lover enjoy it? 

I remember back in the early part of the decade that Age of Wonders wasn't too bad, but it was missing some of the empire building magic.  Is this kind of a cross between MoM and that game?

I can't actually recall running into any bugs.  It generally seems like a solid implementation. 

AI is not very imaginative, but I find it gives me a challenge on the Impossible setting.  YMMV of course.  They are continuing to to improve the AI FWIW.

To be honest, it doesn't feel very MoM like to me.  I really like it, but the only part that feels MoM like is the spells.  It's missing the personal feel that MoM had with the heroes system and the enchanted forging and all that.  There are no heroes at all in Warlock, only armies.

There are things they've added that are rather nicel. I kind of like the fantasy god pantheon they created, and how it integrates with the rest of the system.  They've done a nice job making resources very meaningful.  I really like the way they did the unit upgrades too.

If you like Civ type games and Panzer General type games and like the fantasy genre, it's certainly worth a look.  And the pricing is great.  But for a true MoM successor, I would say look to Fallen Enchantress.  That's shaping up very nicely.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2012, 11:02:34 PM »

big patch on Steam today:

Patch Notes 1.2

Multiplayer and Diplomacy
• Players can now play Multiplayer games! (Steam is required).
• New Diplomacy system in Multiplayer and Single play: Now when a player sends a proposal to rival Mage it will be delivered on the beginning of his/her turn. You will receive an answer on your subsequent turn. The Diplomacy Screen was modified accordingly. Also a player will never know for sure if his\her proposal would or would not be accepted - there will be seen only a prediction of it before the message is sent.
• Changed diplomacy effect of relations with gods
• Behavior of AI Mages improved with personalities and new factors

"Lords and Artifacts"
• Mighty Lords come to your service! They can learn faster than normal units and receive many powerful abilities as they progress through level-ups. You can hire these heroes as they come occasionally searching for job, find them in monster layers or even receive them as quest reward.
• Lords can use powerful Artifacts which could be found in monster dens, received as quests rewards, gained and lost during battles, bought from Trader of Artifacts or smelted to mana.

Bug Fixes and Improvements
• A player may turn on/off Victory Conditions on the Game Start.
• Player can now destroy his buildings from city interface
• Mages, Veterans and Halberdies got new skills. Mages can learn to cast fireballs and Veterans now have ZoneOfControl perk.
• New actions for Galleons units of humans and mosters
• Implemented a News message when you successfully research a new spell.
• Implemented a News message when any of the Great Mages controls a certain percentage of Holy Grounds.
• The Unity Spell cannot be counterspelled anymore, but its casting time was made longer. Also starting to cast a Unity spell worsens relations with all Great Mages.
• A Message "A Great Mage is Defeated" now looks better.
• AI now uses Dispels smarter and more aggressively.
• Teleportation spells casting interface logic is more intuitive:
now you can select a spell, then a target unit, and then a hex to move.
• Fixed an issue: an enchantment cast on a unit in transport ship is now shown properly on unit when it disembarks.
• Game loading has become faster.
• Great Mages now think 10-15% faster.
• Settlers do not receive experience points any more.
• Fixed an issue when a player could remove a "self-destruct" perk from units summoned by other units.
• Fixed a crash on clicking on a News message about a new unit if the city was destroyed.
• Fixed an issue with the unit's experience when a unit is upgraded twice the same turn.
• Fixed an issue with game camera position at the game start.
• Fixed an issue when unit movement points and "cooldown" timers could be higher than their current maximum.
• Fixed some issues with duplicating perks.
• Fixed a rare crash when a player disbands his unit.
• Fixed bug with flying units teleportation on water hexes

Known issues
• Sometimes you cannot enter text - fixes with restarting game from menu
• Disconnect not always works well

Because I can,
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2012, 03:58:19 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 16, 2012, 11:02:34 PM

big patch on Steam today:

Patch Notes 1.2

Multiplayer and Diplomacy
• Players can now play Multiplayer games! (Steam is required).
• New Diplomacy system in Multiplayer and Single play: Now when a player sends a proposal to rival Mage it will be delivered on the beginning of his/her turn. You will receive an answer on your subsequent turn. The Diplomacy Screen was modified accordingly. Also a player will never know for sure if his\her proposal would or would not be accepted - there will be seen only a prediction of it before the message is sent.
• Changed diplomacy effect of relations with gods
• Behavior of AI Mages improved with personalities and new factors

"Lords and Artifacts"
• Mighty Lords come to your service! They can learn faster than normal units and receive many powerful abilities as they progress through level-ups. You can hire these heroes as they come occasionally searching for job, find them in monster layers or even receive them as quest reward.
• Lords can use powerful Artifacts which could be found in monster dens, received as quests rewards, gained and lost during battles, bought from Trader of Artifacts or smelted to mana.

Bug Fixes and Improvements
• A player may turn on/off Victory Conditions on the Game Start.
• Player can now destroy his buildings from city interface
• Mages, Veterans and Halberdies got new skills. Mages can learn to cast fireballs and Veterans now have ZoneOfControl perk.
• New actions for Galleons units of humans and mosters
• Implemented a News message when you successfully research a new spell.
• Implemented a News message when any of the Great Mages controls a certain percentage of Holy Grounds.
• The Unity Spell cannot be counterspelled anymore, but its casting time was made longer. Also starting to cast a Unity spell worsens relations with all Great Mages.
• A Message "A Great Mage is Defeated" now looks better.
• AI now uses Dispels smarter and more aggressively.
• Teleportation spells casting interface logic is more intuitive:
now you can select a spell, then a target unit, and then a hex to move.
• Fixed an issue: an enchantment cast on a unit in transport ship is now shown properly on unit when it disembarks.
• Game loading has become faster.
• Great Mages now think 10-15% faster.
• Settlers do not receive experience points any more.
• Fixed an issue when a player could remove a "self-destruct" perk from units summoned by other units.
• Fixed a crash on clicking on a News message about a new unit if the city was destroyed.
• Fixed an issue with the unit's experience when a unit is upgraded twice the same turn.
• Fixed an issue with game camera position at the game start.
• Fixed an issue when unit movement points and "cooldown" timers could be higher than their current maximum.
• Fixed some issues with duplicating perks.
• Fixed a rare crash when a player disbands his unit.
• Fixed bug with flying units teleportation on water hexes

Known issues
• Sometimes you cannot enter text - fixes with restarting game from menu
• Disconnect not always works well

Hmm....looks like they just added heroes.  Seems to be getting closer and closer to MoM.  Anyone playing try the new patch?  I'm curious to hear what people think.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2013, 08:35:29 PM »

A sequel has been announced - Warlock 2 : The Exiled.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: