http://gamingtrend.com
August 21, 2014, 06:39:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wario Ware touched (NDS). Impressions  (Read 2675 times)
Harpua3
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 08, 2005, 09:36:02 AM »

I`m so looking forward to this. The wife and I love!!!the the GBA game. It`s great to have afew drinks and see how much better or worse you get at the mini games. Anyone else really looking forward to this as much as I am? Early previews said there was issues with certain things, those things are looking like they are getting fixed. We`ll find out soon. this come sout next week! Tongue

Here`s some info etc on it. http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/920757.asp
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2005, 04:08:18 PM »

IN!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2005, 08:06:39 PM »

Crap, for some reason I thought this game came out today, so I was pretty disappointed after I swung by EB on the way into work this morning.

Oh, and for those who care - Gamestop appears to be charging $40 for the game, while EB and everywhere else are charing $35.

I only mention this because Gamestop has really been pissing me off lately...

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2005, 08:08:41 PM »

Our release date apge shows the 14th. smile
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2005, 01:17:13 AM »

Quote from: "Zarkon"
Our release date apge shows the 14th. smile

All the more reason not to drink and type.  :wink:

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2005, 04:33:53 AM »

LOL. I do that alot while drinking and typing and while I`m not drinking :wink: . That would set you up to be disappointed...thinkin gthe game is there and then it isn`t...  :oops: BTW, what did they do to you. They have also pissed me off somewhat recently.
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2005, 06:28:13 PM »

I find myself getting pissed off by two main things: misinformation, and pricing.  Their prices for new and used games are consistently higher than most other major retailers (EB, Gamecrazy, Best Buy etc.), and the low amount of money they are giving out for trade-ins compared to those same companies is ridiculous.  More of an annoyance, but it still bothers me.

What really pisses me off is the way they misinform their customers.  It seems like everytime I'm in there browsing for games, I will overhear one of their workers 'hood-winking' another customer into buying a specific game.  Last week a lady came in looking to buy Mercenaries for her kid, and the guy behind the desk talked her into getting Brute Force instead - telling her that it was a 'better game anyways'.  A little later someone else came in asking for a completely different game, and again they were directed to the bargin bin to get Brute Force as well.  They had about 30 copies of Brute Force on clearance, and they were obviously trying to clear them out.

Apparently it's not just contained to the store by my house either.
From another message board I frequent:

Why don't my friends listen to me for game advice?

He wanted an Xbox and "a magical adventure RPG, a cool fast racing game, and something with action and exploration". I recommend Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance, Burnout3, Rallisport 2, Ninja Gaiden, and Prince of Persia: TSoT. He doesn't like to think too much when gaming.

So he walks into Gamestop and asks for them with a new Xbox. They're out, so they give him a refurbed system with dents, scratches, and a Thompson drive. He asks for Dark Alliance and the girl says, "Oh, we're out of that, but try this, it's just as good", and hands him "The Thing". Not a bad game, but not what he wanted or even close to the same. He asks for RS2 and she literally puts TOCA 2 in his hands and says it's better, and that people have been buying systems just to play it. She also gives him PoP: Warrior Within, because it's "better and newer". No, I recommended Sands of Time dammit.

So he ends up with three games he didn't want and I didn't recommend, and a busted old system. He should have listened! Now he's upset and says he's afraid to return to the store because he feels intimidated in game stores.

DS WiFi Friends Codes
Xbox360 Gamer Card
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2005, 08:43:37 PM »

What really pisses me off is the way they misinform their customers. It seems like everytime I'm in there browsing for games, I will overhear one of their workers 'hood-winking' another customer into buying a specific game. Last week a lady came in looking to buy Mercenaries for her kid, and the guy behind the desk talked her into getting Brute Force instead - telling her that it was a 'better game anyways'. A little later someone else came in asking for a completely different game, and again they were directed to the bargin bin to get Brute Force as well. They had about 30 copies of Brute Force on clearance, and they were obviously trying to clear them out.

i like the regular guy(s) at my local gamestop & eb, but i'm not so sure that the reason they're straight with me is cuz they know i know what's going on, as opposed to the newbs you describe (gonna have to pay more attention next time smile ). but, as i'm sure you know, it's not just gamestop, it's part of the nature of the biz...

i think it's a case of the more familiar you are with something (like gaming), the cheaper a cheap hustle comes off sounding...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2005, 10:03:37 PM »

Day by day it seems as if the stereotypical video game store clerk is becoming this generation's used car salesman.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2005, 10:21:00 PM »

LOL, I hear ya. My wife always says they should be in the used car sales business.
 Like I said I`ve had my issues with these "tools" :wink: .  Over the years I`ve witnessed very good employees at work and the complete opposite...
 I quit going to EB for about 2 years or so. The idoit manager yelled at me for asking me if they did price matching...This was at a store that I visited and spent money at for years. I pretty much only bought there and I bought alot!!! Freaking idiot.
 Then I started going to gamestop. They opened one up the road from this idiot ran eb and it was in a plaza not the mall like the eb. Easy parking etc.
 When I bought my DS there I bought a warranty with it just like I did at EB over the years for my cube/xbox/gbasp etc. But after the fact gamestop tells me that it only covers manufacters stuff, pretty much like the warranty that comes with it, just extended. Which is fine, if that`s what was expected. Then I mention that I have bought warranties at EB for similar things and they cover EVERYTHING. If I think the hardware is acting funny ect. I can bring it in, and bam a new one...no questions asked. He tells me they lied to me and that is not possible. Well, I`ve done it before ona few occasions and it is certainly possible because I`ve seen it and done it. And EBs better warranty costs less... Once more he says they are lying to me, after I tell all of this. I figure I`ll lie up a storm if the ds acts weird and I`ll get my way no biggy. That`s not the the issue(at this point anyway). A rule`s a rule, that`s fine BUT DO NOT LIE TO ME OR CALL ME A LIAR OR TREAT ME LIKE I`M DUMB ETC!!! Ekk, whatever happened to the customer is always right...So now I go that EB again, they fired the idoit and it`s managed rather well at the moment. We`ll see how long this lasts.
 You are right EB says 34.99 and gamestop says 39.99. When I asked gamestop about the price difference...the EB bashing started again...UG.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2005, 07:18:28 AM »

IGN gave it a 8.5 and gamespot gave it a7.5. There`s alot of glowing reviews of it out there. I`m still grabbing it. It`s like everything I expected.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2005, 02:39:31 PM »

THIS is a game made for the DS!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2005, 09:01:49 AM »

In two days or so I`ll post impressions on this stuff.
Cleric7

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2005, 02:24:31 PM »

Quote from: "Harpua3"
IGN gave it a 8.5 and gamespot gave it a7.5. There`s alot of glowing reviews of it out there. I`m still grabbing it. It`s like everything I expected.

Gamespot gave it a 7.2 actually, citing that the "touching" is repetitive and "boring" and the game is very short. "With the constant poking, dragging, and drawing these contests throws at you, it's easy to get good at them awfully fast. If you're cool under pressure, were any good at the previous WarioWare games, and are handy with a stylus, you'll get through the entire game in around an hour and a half."

I think I'll pass on this one.

"All that is necessary for evil to flourish is for good people to do nothing."
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2005, 07:39:26 PM »

At least with Wario Ware for the GBA, the point wasn't to finish.  It's more like the "old-school" games where getting the high score was more important than finishing the game.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2005, 11:45:20 PM »

Yeah, the mini games are, at most, five seconds long.  I don't think you can knock it for being short.  Heck, I can finish a game of tetris in about ten minutes.  With Warioware, you keep coming back to try and do better.

I can't wait for the GBA Warioware 2 to come out.  Then I can have a Warioware game in each port of my DS!

Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2005, 03:34:21 AM »

Quote from: "Cleric7"

Gamespot gave it a 7.2 actually, citing that the "touching" is repetitive and "boring" and the game is very short. "With the constant poking, dragging, and drawing these contests throws at you, it's easy to get good at them awfully fast. If you're cool under pressure, were any good at the previous WarioWare games, and are handy with a stylus, you'll get through the entire game in around an hour and a half."

I think I'll pass on this one.

I`m not trying to convince you about anything, and now that is out of the way :wink: . Sorry you`re  correct about the 7.2 instead of 7.5 my bad. Not much of a difference IMHO though. Anywho...with the gba wario ware games I beat it really fast too,and I`ve had it for a year or more, and I still play it!!! ALOT!!!
 Plus these guys over at gamespot are NUTS!!! Wario ware for gba pretty much was the same thing over and over again too. Press A, or press left then right and so on.
 I agree it`s like tetris etc. you don`t quit when you beat it. It`s just fun to play over and over and over again.
 I`m not usually thinking like this but ...gamespot seems to dislike two things, xbox and ds. For what reason I do not know( I could certainly guess though). I always look at gamerankings and go by that. Plus I have watched the movies for this game and it looks just like I`d imagine. And I`m assuming it will play just like that too. I`ll be grabbing this tomarrow if I can find it, I`ll post back when that happens. Later.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2005, 03:56:28 AM »

One more review is up. http://gba.gamespy.com/nintendo-ds/wario-ware-ds/587485p1.html 4.5 outta 5 is good stuff!

Pros
It's more WarioWare!; seriously, do you know how addictive these games are?
Cons
 Slightly fewer microgames than the original; the unlockable goodies are kinda lame.

The WarioWare series is really the ideal portable game -- they're incredibly easy to pick up and play for two minutes, but engrossing enough to keep you occupied for hours.

I`m even more sold!
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2005, 06:22:09 PM »

SOunds interesting. Between this a the rerelease of FInal Fantasy I & II I might have to pick up a Nintendo DS. I'm just so afraid it'll turn into a small paper weight though.

Oh who am I kidding here? No one. Everyone knows that I'm a weak man, you KNOW i'll be buying one, and you KNOW i'll be buying the two games I mentioned.

Over 20 years of gaming and I am still getting excited about this stuff.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2005, 07:03:54 PM »

Like I said I`ve had my issues with these "tools" :wink: .  Over the years I`ve witnessed very good employees at work and the complete opposite...
Which is fine, if that`s what was expected. Well, I`ve done it before ona few occasions and it is certainly possible because I`ve seen it and done it. And EBs better warranty costs less... Once more he says they are lying to me, after I tell all of this. I figure I`ll lie up a storm if the ds acts weird and I`ll get my way no biggy. That`s not the the issue(at this point anyway). A rule`s a rule, that`s fine BUT DO NOT LIE TO ME OR CALL ME A LIAR OR TREAT ME LIKE I`M DUMB ETC!!! Ekk, whatever happened to the customer is always right...So now I go that EB again, they fired the idoit and it`s managed rather well at the moment. We`ll see how long this lasts.

Yo mang... yo' apostrophes are going tha' wrong way, dig?  Cool

Edit: Using a Japanese keyboard, by chance?
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2005, 05:04:37 AM »

This game rocks. I grabbed it earlier today. Fun stuff, really fun stuff. I`d say if you liked the other wariowares, you`d have to like this. Now that`s just my opinion, but I`m pretty sure that`s the truth. After two minutes of it I was convinced. I`d almost go as far to stay that if you don`t like this game, you don`t like fun. IMO.
 Graphics are actually a bit better than the gba game. Not great techically(but good enough,and bright and vibrant), but the artwork is good and funny.
 Sound, also better than the gba game. Every song/sound effect, etc. sounds great ...Everything sounds like it should. Some of the songs are rather funny.
 And the controls really do make it different in a good way. You don`t use any buttons for this game. Only turning it on or off uses a button.
 I`m sure it is shorter than the other ww games, but who cares when it`s this fun.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2005, 05:23:05 PM »

My only complaint is that the non-sensical cutscenes are disproportionately longer than the gameplay.  Granted, after you get through a story level, there are many more games to play with no story at all, so this problem will seem moot eventually, but I'm not enjoying the story stuff as much as I did in the first GBA game.  

Still, it's a ton of fun.  Honestly, they could put out a new Warioware every month, and I would probably pick it up.  For any platform, too, though the next GC version better be more than just a Gameboy Player version on a disc.  The graphics were lame for most of it as they took the GBA version and just blew them up.  Maybe this game only really works on a handheld, but I think with proper production values it could be stellar on the 'cube.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2005, 06:17:50 PM »

One thing I wondered:  Remember how Nintendo touted the DS' ability to download stuff in-store?  Could they possibly set up extra levels to add to the game?

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2005, 03:46:07 AM »

Quote from: "Bullwinkle"
My only complaint is that the non-sensical cutscenes are disproportionately longer than the gameplay.  Granted, after you get through a story level, there are many more games to play with no story at all, so this problem will seem moot eventually, but I'm not enjoying the story stuff as much as I did in the first GBA game.

I actually like the story more in this one than the GBA one. They both are pretty wierd to say the least.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2005, 03:54:51 AM »

I played ALOT more. The fun keeps coming. Great stuff indeed.
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2005, 06:59:50 PM »

Well, I finished off the main 'story' portion, and have gotten crowns for all of the characters except for one.  My thoughts:

+Same quirky, addictive style as the original Wario Ware
+Extremely creative minigames, considering they all use either the stylus or mic
+Uses both screens very well
+Some of the 3D graphics are kinda impressive
+Ashley's theme is great smile

-As nonsensical as the cutscenes in the original Warioware were, they were still very cool.  The cutscenes here are overly long, boring, and graphically even more uninteresting than the original GBA game.
-Way too easy... I think I made it thru the main story in under an hour.  The first game was short too, but at least it took a while to get high scores on each character/album.  So far even the character challenges are a breeze as well.
-The game only 'speeds' up until level 40-50 or so, after which its the same game over and over again.  I was able to get a score of 200 on one of the games before I gave up due to boredom.  I think this is part of the reason that so many of the games are easy.
-Most of  the minigames (err, toys) you unlock in this version suck so far, especially compared to all the cool stuff unlocked in the original.
-The 'Oldschool NES' minigames are pretty disappointing

Overall, it's probably still the best game you can buy for the DS right now, especially if you want to show someone the DS' potential (although they might get scared by a garlic-eating main character who's  main enemy is the dentist).

Edit:
Oh, and the boss stage for Ashley reminds me how badly we need a verticle shooter/scroller for the DS!

DS WiFi Friends Codes
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Cleric7

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2005, 07:53:44 PM »

I broke down and picked this up after reading all the positive comments. I have to admit my son and I have been enjoying it quite a bit. Nice job Nintendo! smile

"All that is necessary for evil to flourish is for good people to do nothing."
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2005, 11:37:21 PM »

I agree with everything you said there. It is a bit on the easy side compared to the gba game. To be fair though, I did the same thing that you said with the gba game on a few of the games(going for ever without any challenge after a certain point). I just finished the main story stuff too with the wife last night. And I have unlocked some of the other stuff, but not nearly all. To me though, this is a game that I`ll play over and over again, even after everything is unlocked.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: