http://gamingtrend.com
August 20, 2014, 03:06:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Warhammer: Dawn of War  (Read 2215 times)
The Rocketman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: July 04, 2005, 08:14:09 AM »

Well, I finally caved after reading so much praise about it, even though I'm no RTS fan. I must say, I like it so far. I always wanted to like Warcraft III, and I did, untill it got too hard. Which for me, was halfway the Orc campaign.

But what I absolutely love in this one is the fact that you can reinforce your squads in the field! What a fantastic idea! It leaves out so much micro-management, as well as the I-better-start-building-up-an-army-to-reinforce-the-one-I'm-sending-out-now strategy.

Other things like cover and morale also seem cool, but I don't know how much effect they have. If I get a squad to focus on flamethrowers, they die, and if they get heavy bolters, they decimate others. So I can't say I'm too impressed with the whole morale thing so far.

Combat is visual and bloody, although I haven't met any huge units yet. I'm only on level 4 of the campaign, so I'm sure I've only seen half the tech tree yet.

Are there any hints, strategies, or cool things to know about this game? I'd like to master an rts for once in my life, and I'd like to make it this one. It just seems to have a lot of potential.
Turtle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2005, 08:50:33 AM »

I haven't figured out morale either, but I've seen a few times where morale won me a complete and utter victory when enemy units started breaking away and I was able to sweep in behind them.

I would not suggest playing any random pickup games on lobby service.  It'll ruin your view of the game as everyone there, literally everyone, uses only rush tactics.
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2005, 02:22:21 PM »

if you play with the game slowed down, morale is MUCH more influential in the game.  If you use one squad with only a certain type of weapon, yes they are good at a certain thing, but will get killed by something else, so you need a backup squad, to protect or compliment them.  When a sqaud breaks they do something like 1/4 damage or something crazy.  What I would do, is try to poin a group down with Heavy bolters.  And rush in with flamerthrowers, or use Assualt tropps to come in from behind them, with flamers, and force them into the other group.  Again, when the game is slowed down a bit, tactics like this are WAY easier to control.  On the normal speed, not so easy.

I know that Rise of Nations had something similar to this as well.  Where flank attacks and rear attacks did more damage.  Glad to hear you enjoyed it.  It seems that many of the people here are still taking part in game, though I have yet to catch anyone do to my schedule.
Doomboy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2005, 04:12:54 PM »

I believe that flamers and other morale damaging attacks are most useful when the enemy is in cover.  They take less damage from everything but morale attacks, so that is when the flame units are best used.  Make them rout, and they run out of cover, as well as doing a huge amount less damage to your troops.

When there's no more room in hell, Jack Thompson will walk the earth.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2005, 05:47:32 PM »

Man, I loved the game.  Can't wait for the expansion.  It totally turned me on to the whole 40k universe.

I didn't notice the morale effects too much either (on normal speed) and my army tended to be a bit more shooty than assault, with the exception of Terminators.  Those should be set up for close combat because they are amazing at it.

Tanks are neat, but I found that properly equipped marines could handle most things.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2005, 06:08:10 PM »

I've noticed morale, as an Ork player.  If your squad's morale breaks the results can be absolutely devastating.  I'm always in melee so if my morale breaks my boyz go down FAST.  You always want to try and break morale, because they don't do as much damage and I think more damage is done to them.  Heavy Bolters, Artillery, Flamers, all break morale.

Speaking of which... anyoen up for a few games on Tuesday?

I really don't like the 1.3 patch.  It just seems Orks really got a raw deal this time around.  It forces me to use infantry, and lots of it.  Which means I'm being forced to use a tactic that's guranteed to get me chewed up and chewed up good.

Just Hiro will do.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2005, 12:27:36 AM »

I have been considering this one but am not interested in another C&C type of game where the most units wins.  In all honesty, is there really any strategy, or is it just building units, guarding your bases, and storming the enemy?  

That gets old to me real fast anymore irregardless of how cool it all looks.   I played the demo and got the impression that it was a very good looking C&C game.  Did the demo do a good job of representing the game?   If so, then I will save me $30.

Appreciate it.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2005, 04:13:00 AM »

Quote from: "mikeg"
I have been considering this one but am not interested in another C&C type of game where the most units wins.  In all honesty, is there really any strategy, or is it just building units, guarding your bases, and storming the enemy?Appreciate it.

As much as I love the game there really isn't much more to it than that.  Some new wrinkles on the genre, but nothing revolutionary.

I like the story but it was a bit generic.  It introduced me to the world and did a good enough job that I sought out more info on it.  So the subject matter makes me like the game even more.

Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2005, 04:16:52 AM »

I have always wanted to like RTS games but hated micro-managment of any sort.  The only RTS i played through with any interest was Warlords Battlecry.  I would love to try this game out but i'm deathly afraid it'll be more management than i'd like to worry about.  Heck i only got through the tutorial in Warcraft before i quit.
Any chance i may like this compared to other RTS games?

GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2005, 04:31:51 AM »

there is less management of resources in this game.  You build power resource, around points you take.  You can only have so many power resources built as the cost increases with each one built.  The more Strategic points you control the more of a army you can build.  There is also games of capture certain points, and such, which are nice.  Or hold certain parts of the map for a certain length of time.  Kinda nice.  The tech trees arent crazy big or anyting, and pretty much all your upgrades for certain things come from one building.  If you arent a big fan of rts games, you might want to find it used if you can.  But I think you might like it even without.

I should be on tyomorrow afternoon for awhile, since its WoW maintence day.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2005, 04:32:25 AM »

Quote from: "Xmann"
I have always wanted to like RTS games but hated micro-managment of any sort.  The only RTS i played through with any interest was Warlords Battlecry.  I would love to try this game out but i'm deathly afraid it'll be more management than i'd like to worry about.  Heck i only got through the tutorial in Warcraft before i quit.

If it helps, you only need to worry about one resource.  There are mineral deposits scattered around the map and you place a little structure on there to gather money.  There aren't vast fields of ore to mine or wood to cut or farming.  Everything is the single resource.  Well, you need power as well, but once you build a plant or two (like a regular structure) you've got that covered.

Managing troops isn't hard since the bulk of your forces are made up of 3-9 man squads which can, as mentioned above, be reinforced in the field (as long as one lives they can be brought back up to full strength).

The units themselves are a little bit more flexible in what they can do based on how you arm them.  You don't need a mixed force of armor, artillery, and close combat if you equip you mix up your arms.  I'd say that part of the battles makes it a bit easier to manage.  In fact the regular Space Marine squads are versatile can tackle most things as long as you know the weakness of your foes.

I usually used one main force and two on the flanks or scouting.  I never felt the need to run and check on my workers (since they just build and repair things).

So that's my opinion.  Perhaps I've oversimplified things, but that sums up my experience.  FWIW, I don't mind the micro-management as much so perhaps I just didn't notice it as much.  I will say that it has less micro-management than Command & Conquer and far less than Warcraft.

Try the demo and see what that does for you smile

GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2005, 03:09:08 PM »

space marines are generic and can be tailored for anything, whereas the other races have specific squads for things.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2005, 05:09:45 PM »

Awesome awesome game. I am all about the SM. I love the flexibility and tactical options open to them, plus they just plain rock. The game just freaking rocks. Get it, now.

Oh, and for anyone downplaying the SP campaign, you guys are crazy! Its a tad short and it gets stuck in a build and rush rut at the end, but the story is very good, the voice acting is absolutely superb, and its just one great package. The XP can't come soon enough!
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2005, 08:32:10 PM »

Quote from: "mikeg"
I have been considering this one but am not interested in another C&C type of game where the most units wins.  In all honesty, is there really any strategy, or is it just building units, guarding your bases, and storming the enemy?  

That gets old to me real fast anymore irregardless of how cool it all looks.   I played the demo and got the impression that it was a very good looking C&C game.  Did the demo do a good job of representing the game?   If so, then I will save me $30.

Appreciate it.

There is quite a bit more strategy than the C&C, WCIII clones.  But it's certainly a step below RoN in that regard.  Guarding your base is important, but turtling is most definitely NOT a viable strategy.  A well-managed, well balanced smaller army CAN best a larger less well managed army.  You'll need to micromanage to get the best performance out of your units, but it's not that hard thanks to the squad system.  I'd say it hovers between WCIII and Kohan II (and I own and play all three).

I've played this game from beta onwards.  In the beta days, when we had epic 4v4 games, there was strategy up the wazoo.  I've played a few times in random matches and it was definitely NOT fun.  I got rushed, zerged, etc. etc.  But in arranged games with people I know, and the game is on a "slower" speed... theres a lot of tactical fun to be had.  

So really, to answer your question: It depends what you're looking for.  Some of my best multiplayer experiences EVER were with this game.  My teammates trying to hold the line, while I scrambled to get my reinforcements there on time.  Pleading for some artillery and anti-veh support, while my walkers slowly lumbered they're way... just trying to last for those few minutes before my big boys arrived... it was pretty sweet.

So to answer... there is strategy, but it's no RoN or Total War series... if that's what you're looking for.  I'd put it just a step below Kohan in terms of strategic depth.

Just Hiro will do.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2005, 10:17:31 PM »

I will definitely get it then once the price drops or I can find it in the $15-$20 range.   Sounds pretty good actually.  Thanks for the info.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2005, 01:03:39 AM »

The expansion sounds like its going to breathe a lot of life into the game, pick it up when you can!

As for other good, strategic, single and multiplayer RTS's-well really, WCIII and TFT are jnust wonderful. I am going to replay them both soon actually. I also cant recommend enough the old classic, CC: Red Alert2. What an incredibly fun game that was and still is. Kohan 2 is very popular, although I never really got into it, and I am just now getting back into RON so I don't have a definitive opinion on how it holds up yet.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2005, 01:20:37 AM »

Quote from: "Rage"
The expansion sounds like its going to breathe a lot of life into the game, pick it up when you can!

I am going to replay them both soon actually. I also cant recommend enough the old classic, CC: Red Alert2. What an incredibly fun game that was and still is.

Not to derail the thread, but does RA2 work on XP?

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2005, 02:07:20 AM »

Quote from: "Thin_J"

Sure does!  I finally beat that last year.  When it first came out I got stuck on the Hawaii level but made it through both that and Yuri's Revenge.

I think I had to turn off hardware acceleration in the audio settings because the movies skipped.  Don't forget to patch it.

Great stuff!

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2005, 02:41:59 AM »

Quote from: "stiffler"
Quote from: "Thin_J"

Sure does!  I finally beat that last year.  When it first came out I got stuck on the Hawaii level but made it through both that and Yuri's Revenge.

I think I had to turn off hardware acceleration in the audio settings because the movies skipped.  Don't forget to patch it.

Great stuff!
Yuri's revenge was an AWESOME XP pack. I mean quality.
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2005, 03:56:32 AM »

Quote from: "Xmann"
Reading that, the thought that jumped to mind was Kohan II is the game for you.  It's got streamlined resource collection without peon management.  There's no micromanagement once troops engage in battle.  The strategic decisions are made in building bases, research and in customizing your companies as you build them.  Then, of course, there are the tactical decisions of when and where to attack.

It has five well balanced races, each of which can belong to one or more factions which provide bonuses.  It has randomized maps.  Unit AI is good.  Overall computer AI tends a bit too aggressive, but that usually means fun battles that will tend to lead to your victory.  On the other hand, the AI has made some surprising moves, catching me out of position and turning the tide of a game.

There's a great veterancy system where it's of great value to keep your companies from being destroyed.  Your heroes also gain experience and can become quite powerful if you keep them alive.  The game has creeps and relic defenders to boost your experience before taking on your enemies.

It's really a full featured RTS that takes out the micro within battles.   It even comes with a full color manual.  I can't remember the last full color manual I've received. It's a steal now that it can be had for cheap.

Edit: to add Mwave has Kohan II on clearance for $14.49

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2005, 06:14:56 AM »

One thing that really disapoints me about DoW is that infantry and vehicles don't mix.  At least, not for most races.

First no one really uses the lighter vehicles, the reason being as soon as you get the light vehicles the heavy vehicles are just one step away.  it's always better to get the heavy vehicles like walkers and other tanks.

The transports are hardly used at all, nor are the scout vehicles.  They need to make the light vehicles available earlier in the game, so that there's a period where infantry and light vehicles are put to use in combined assaults, instead of the late game heavy vehicle mob.

Then there's trying to fight vehicles with infantry, which unless you're space marines with missiles, it's impossible.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2005, 06:45:47 AM »

I agree completely with your vehicle assessment.  I built transports a few times to run servitors around through enemy territory but that's about it.  The light vehicles just come along too late.  They can be trouble if the enemy has them and you are not ready, but I never built them.  In fact I only used vehicles when I was rolling and had my troop number maxed out.  Then it was just a wave of steel for the sake of building something.  I don't think I ever built a Devastator, which is too bad since they are really impressive in the fiction.

There's something to be said for deploying a full squad of maxed out Space Marines from a fully upgraded Land Raider.  By that time you have won, but I like to think the AI morale just bored a hole into the Earth biggrin

The Space Marines aren't really a mechanized force.  They might have a tank or two to look out for other armor, but they usually rely on their skill and power armor more than tanks.  Now when the expansion comes out and you can play as the Imperial Guard I would imagine the tanks will be infinitely more important!

SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2005, 04:14:34 PM »

Yeah the vehicles need work.  Once a SM player gets two Dreadnaughts out I'm pretty much screwed as Ork, unless by some miracle I got a whole squad of tankboyz out fully upgraded.  Then MAYBE I got a shot.  Although as regards light vehicles... Ork Wartrakks were pretty much a requirement to use.  Man those guys can chew through infantry.

I really hate the 1.3 patch by the way.

Just Hiro will do.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2005, 05:30:49 PM »

Quote from: "SuperHiro"
Yeah the vehicles need work.  Once a SM player gets two Dreadnaughts out I'm pretty much screwed as Ork, unless by some miracle I got a whole squad of tankboyz out fully upgraded.  Then MAYBE I got a shot.  Although as regards light vehicles... Ork Wartrakks were pretty much a requirement to use.  Man those guys can chew through infantry.

I really hate the 1.3 patch by the way.

Agreed on all counts about the vehicles, except as SM I love them!! smile

Hiro, you want to play some tonight? Or any RTS really...
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2005, 07:22:05 PM »

Sure, I can get some in.  Probably late as I have a reformat and a wee bit o studying to do.

Just Hiro will do.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2005, 03:15:22 AM »

Quote from: "SuperHiro"
Sure, I can get some in.  Probably late as I have a reformat and a wee bit o studying to do.

Sheesh I didnt read this till now, well, I am around smile PM me if you are still up.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2005, 04:54:40 AM »

Hey, I'm up for some Dawn of War, lemme know.

xfire: Vanigan
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: