http://gamingtrend.com
August 27, 2014, 05:26:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Warhammer: Dawn of War Thoughts (spoilers)  (Read 1928 times)
Calvin
Gaming Trend Senior Member

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« on: January 16, 2005, 07:20:10 PM »

So, here goes. I got Warhammer last week and finished it a couple days ago. Warhammer is, without a dobut simply the finest RTS I have played since WC3 and TFT (which, to tell you the truth, I really want to start playing again!).

The story is simply fantastic. Its uncoventional, its interesting, its gripping, betrayal, friendship, regret, religious fanaticism, the whole nine yards. THis warhammer universe appears to be extremely interesting. I am very tempted to get a book and start reading some of the back history. Just the idea of these space marine companies was tremendously appealing.

The gameplay, while it rarely strayed from a fairly basic RTS formula, was fun and engaging, with cool units, awesome effects and battles, and a somewhat innovative squad upgrade system. The battles were always fun, even though strategy at the end of the game was reduced to using the most land raiders and terminator squads as you could put together.

Anyways, definately the highlight of the game for me was the absolutely phenomenal voice acting and cutscene presentation. My only regrets are that the campaign wasnt longer and that we couldnt play some of the other sides in a single player setting, which would have been really nice.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2005, 07:36:03 PM »

I'm just starting the 3rd mission and already I like it more than 90% of all RTS's I've played.  Very good graphics and you're right about the voice acting.  It's phenomenal!

And apparently it stays good until the end?  If so, that's cool.  I never play online (I suck) but I'm also interested in trying out some skirmish maps.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2005, 07:40:15 PM »

It gets BETTER towards the end. the story is superb, and like I said, the action is tons of fun, though the strategy gets stripped down at the end.

Email or PM me to set up some MP games..that would be good fun. I think FlyinJ also has interest in playing. Or ThinJ..one or the other, why dont they change their names??? DAMN THEM!
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2005, 08:54:30 PM »

I'm Vanigan in the DoW multiplayer lobby.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2005, 09:14:00 PM »

I love me some Dawn of War.

And it was definitely me that has some interest in playing. Perhaps FlyinJ does too, but I wouldn't know about that smile

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2005, 09:14:48 PM »

Ok perhaps we should try something tonight? im playing poker and watching the game and working on a paper, but i am flexible for later.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2005, 09:41:09 PM »

Will we be using the lobby system, or setting up an IP game and getting people into it that way?

I could go for a game of this tonight.

As a warning, I'm terrible. Even if we play against computers on just normal difficulty I'm likely to be stomped. But I'll have fun with it regardless smile

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2005, 10:06:43 PM »

ERr..i dont really care. I figure we can try the lobby system for ease of use. What time should we set? lets make it at least an hour or so from now to give everyone time.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2005, 10:08:48 PM »

It is a fun game, but the single player game did nothing for me.  Story was boring and sporatic.  Mutliplayer is really fun.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2005, 10:41:23 PM »

Neadnek you crazy man!! the sp was awesome!

Anyways, I am Nobbynobbs on Xfire (i changed it after i coudlnt remember my old name frown  ) The only thing i have going on tonight is going out to dinner for about 1.5 hours around 8pm. otherwise im watchign tv and writing papers.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2005, 03:39:17 AM »

No one is online.. frown
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2005, 04:57:35 AM »

Oh, NOW EVERYONE IS PLAYING IT.

Just Hiro will do.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2005, 05:23:00 AM »

But at the same time I cant get anyone to play it together!!
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2005, 06:47:13 AM »

Here's my current schedule:
Monday: No particular games. Whatever.
Tuesday nights: from 10pm EST-whenever I play a group game of Links 2004 with certain other people.
Wednesday: Reserved for Halo 2 from 9pm EST on through till at least midnight.
Thursday: Group game of Raven Shield.
Friday: I almost never game on Fridays. I'm usually out doing something else.
Saturday: Yet another day where I tend to play whatever game I feel like playing that day. I tend to disappear about 8pm at night, but for the rest of the day before that.. nothing.

So... there ya have it. Try and organize a game for later at night on one of those days when I don't do anything, and I guarantee you I"ll be there as long as you don't choose to get it going while I'm at work.

You pick a day/time, and I'll even tell Rainlender to remind me smile

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2005, 08:34:16 AM »

Hm... I've been playing lately, and pretty unsatisfied with the game now.

Frankly, multiplayer has devolved into who can build the most of their first teir units and rush with them.

Literally every single one of my 10+ games since I started playing started and ended like that.

I don't know what happened since the beta or retail, but it's just not fun to play anymore.
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2005, 07:09:43 PM »

This is going to be hard to do.  It was easier in the beta because so many people were playing it.

I won't be able to play tonight for any meaningful length... but tomorrow after I hit 28 in WoW I'll set up a game in the INFERNUS SECTOR.  Just like the old days.

Just Hiro will do.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2005, 07:28:29 PM »

Ok wednesday night I can definately do. A lot more free time, wont even get home until 10ish or so tonight.
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2005, 11:45:23 PM »

I only have a sliver left... just one quest oughta do it.

So around 6 pm PST I'll sound the call.  Or someone else do it. Rage, you have a real beast of a comp right?

Just Hiro will do.
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2005, 12:26:15 AM »

I probably won't make it... work got really nasty and I need to stay late today.

Apologies for any troubles.  I really want the old DoW gang to start up again, those were good times.

Just Hiro will do.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2005, 12:38:23 AM »

I'm also spoken for this evening, especially at 6PST/9EST.

Wednesday nights belong to Halo 2. If you want to play DoW late tonight.. like maybe 9PST/midnight EST, that's a more likely time for me to be available. Our Halo 2 madness has usually slowed down or ended by then. I'm off work tomorrow and can play anything as late as anyone wants to play it.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2005, 12:57:27 AM »

Do you play Halo2 with the CG crew? I played it obsessively when it first came out but havent touched it in about a month...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: