http://gamingtrend.com
July 23, 2014, 05:04:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Warhammer 40k: Space Marine - 40k meets God of War  (Read 8157 times)
Turtle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: May 28, 2009, 01:42:49 AM »

http://xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/14352257/warhammer-40000-space-marine/videos/spacemarine_trl_battle_52709.html

Looks pretty cool.  I recall there was a leaked publisher proof of concept demo a while back.  I'd always thought the Space Marines would make a nice focus for a god of war style game, and this one looks like it delivers.
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 03:15:27 AM »

Wow, devil's in the details but that actually looks pretty bad ass. Wasn't sure if it would work, but looks fun if nothing else.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 03:37:15 PM »

That preview looked absolutely awesome. Hopefully the game matches the hype.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 03:46:12 PM »

Ultra Marines wouldn't have been my first choice for a Chapter, but HELL YEAH IN!!!!

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 03:53:44 PM »

looks cool, but reminds me more of Dynasty Warriors with all those units.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 05:24:27 PM »

Nice it looks like a modern 3D version of Space Hulk which I'll be all in if it is.
Hard to know what the gameplay is like from the trailer though.

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2009, 09:20:28 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on May 28, 2009, 03:46:12 PM

Ultra Marines wouldn't have been my first choice for a Chapter, but HELL YEAH IN!!!!

From my understanding, they're just a placeholder. Relic hasn't actually yet decided on which chapter you'll be going the game through with.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Kurt Stevens
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2009, 02:43:51 AM »

Being a huge fan of the 40k universe, I'm in on day one unless the early reviews are horrible.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2009, 11:57:38 AM »

Quote from: Kurt Stevens on May 29, 2009, 02:43:51 AM

Being a huge fan of the 40k universe, I'm in on day one unless the early reviews are horrible.

Going by previous games it seems like if it isn't Dawn of War it's not really worth playing. I know that GW is using the Space Marines as their way to reach the masses with 40k, but c'mon, there are so many better forces than the space marines.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2009, 12:05:43 PM »

This is made by, or at least overseen by, Relic itself.  So if there's any studio that can shepard in a decent non-RTS 40k game, it's the company that both pioneered that style of RTS and made 40k popular again.

Of course, this does explain what the guys who did The Outfit from Relic have been doing since then.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2009, 12:22:50 PM »

Quote from: Tebunker on May 29, 2009, 11:57:38 AM

Going by previous games it seems like if it isn't Dawn of War it's not really worth playing. I know that GW is using the Space Marines as their way to reach the masses with 40k, but c'mon, there are so many better forces than the space marines.

really?? What forces are better than the Space Marines? Granted, its been a while ,but I used to read alot of books set in the universe, and it seems to me that the SpaceMarines were pretty much it, in terms of fighting ability

A new one
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2009, 12:27:28 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on May 29, 2009, 12:05:43 PM

This is made by, or at least overseen by, Relic itself.  So if there's any studio that can shepard in a decent non-RTS 40k game, it's the company that both pioneered that style of RTS and made 40k popular again.

Of course, this does explain what the guys who did The Outfit from Relic have been doing since then.

If it uses the same mechanics as The Outfit but in the WH 40K Universe I'd buy it on day one.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2009, 12:34:54 PM »

Heck just look at the different factions of the Empire, an Inquisitor and either some Witch Hunter or Daemon Hunters and you can make just about any Space Marine army fall to pieces. I understand that they are using the Marines as they are the most recognizable faction, and they are what GW is pushing to get folks in to 40k. Hopefully these are just placeholders and they are planning on using one of the subsets like the Black Templars or Dark Angels. It's not this would keep me from playing a good game, I'd just like to see something other than the regular ole Space Marine.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2009, 12:40:11 PM »

ah, yes, didnt think about those. And, I must admit, I thought those were kinda part of the spacemarines, like the chaplain and such.

I remember in Spacehulk, you played a psycher who could tear up enemies on their own.

Damn I miss that game, and would kill for an updated version, graphical wise

A new one
Kurt Stevens
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2009, 12:43:28 PM »

Back in the day, Chaos Gate was pretty good.  I think there was  an RTS that was based off of the Epic tabletop system that was pretty good too.  The one real stinker I can think of off the top of my head was Fire Warrior which was based on the Tau.

I agree that there are other forces that are pretty interesting as well but I don't know if they would lend themselves to a god of war style game.  I guess chaos marines would fit the bill but they are still marines.  Plus your right, Space Marines are the way that GW is marketing the universe.  I'd love to see a Battlefleet Gothic game but the chances of that are next to none.
Kurt Stevens
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2009, 12:45:54 PM »

Quote from: Tebunker on May 29, 2009, 12:34:54 PM

Heck just look at the different factions of the Empire, an Inquisitor and either some Witch Hunter or Daemon Hunters and you can make just about any Space Marine army fall to pieces. I understand that they are using the Marines as they are the most recognizable faction, and they are what GW is pushing to get folks in to 40k. Hopefully these are just placeholders and they are planning on using one of the subsets like the Black Templars or Dark Angels. It's not this would keep me from playing a good game, I'd just like to see something other than the regular ole Space Marine.

Damn, I didn't think about an Inquisitor.  That could make for a great game.  I loved the Eisenhorn and Ravenor series. 
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2009, 07:17:24 PM »

For an adventure game, an inquisitor might be fun...but honest to goodness action game i think yer just bein a fanboy snob by dissing the space marine idea relic is using.

There is flat out nothing that will sell better or attract more newcomers to the 40k universe in an action game than being space marines.

In all the books you read, whoever the hero is is made out to be the end all be all of uber....but the bottom line really is that as a whole, the space marines are the ultimate fighting force of the imperium.

Sure you could make an action game about a physcher or a imperial guardsman, or whatever, but it wouldn't stand out as anything more than another likely run of the mill average shooter.

A Space Marine 3D action shooter at least has a chance to really stand out from the crowd and be a cool game.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2009, 09:41:20 PM »

Quote from: Fuzzballx on May 29, 2009, 07:17:24 PM

For an adventure game, an inquisitor might be fun...but honest to goodness action game i think yer just bein a fanboy snob by dissing the space marine idea relic is using.

There is flat out nothing that will sell better or attract more newcomers to the 40k universe in an action game than being space marines.

In all the books you read, whoever the hero is is made out to be the end all be all of uber....but the bottom line really is that as a whole, the space marines are the ultimate fighting force of the imperium.

Sure you could make an action game about a physcher or a imperial guardsman, or whatever, but it wouldn't stand out as anything more than another likely run of the mill average shooter.

A Space Marine 3D action shooter at least has a chance to really stand out from the crowd and be a cool game.

Hey it's nothing about being a fanboy snob, I dis say I'd still buy it if it was good, Heck I even liked what I saw in the video, but I'd rather see a Sister of the Battlefield or something more specialized. The inquisitor was just an example in that you could take a team of Daemon Hunters and an Inquisitor and lay waste to any Space Marine army. Space Marine's are the vanilla. It's good, a lot of the times it's even great, it's the foundation to a good sundae, but sometimes you want Rocky Road and this is one of those instances for me. To me using a Space Marine is the idea of making something run of the mill average. You want it to be appeal to everyone. Which is okay. I mean a god of war type game is made for something from this. Check out the Assasins or the Grey Knights... Very cool

I did like the TSR Squad Based games. I think they tried to put a 40k wrapper on the Panzer General engine that was subpar too.

greeneggsnham
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2009, 10:28:46 PM »

Quote from: Kurt Stevens on May 29, 2009, 12:43:28 PM

Back in the day, Chaos Gate was pretty good.  I think there was  an RTS that was based off of the Epic tabletop system that was pretty good too.  The one real stinker I can think of off the top of my head was Fire Warrior which was based on the Tau.

I agree that there are other forces that are pretty interesting as well but I don't know if they would lend themselves to a god of war style game.  I guess chaos marines would fit the bill but they are still marines.  Plus your right, Space Marines are the way that GW is marketing the universe.  I'd love to see a Battlefleet Gothic game but the chances of that are next to none.

Epic 40K: Final Liberation. Very good game. Very good cutscenes, for the time... I wish there was someplace that had high rez versions of them.
There was also Rites of War, which was 40k done with the Panzer General 2 engine. It got spotty reviews, but I -loved- that game. SP has you as the Eldar, but on I think for multi you could be Tyranid/Genestealer Cult, SM/IG or Eldar.

For the 40k fan both (and 3 including Chaos Gate) are worth tracking down. I had gotten Final Liberation, Chaos Gate AND Rites of War as part of a 2 box sale at Compusa back in the day... some box set offering that included the non-40k Warhammer pc titles as well. Darn sweet deal.

Fire Warrior.... played it once, I keep meaning to go back and replay it to see if it's really as bad as I remembered it or not. The cutscenes, however, are awesome. I think I read somewhere that Tom Baker is the narrator for them, which if so makes 'em even better. Sadly, I'm pretty sure my memory is spot on and the gameplay stinks. Download the movies or youtube them and skip the gameplay.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2009, 11:17:56 PM »

I loved the turn-based PSP Warhammer title. Great grahpics, awesome cuscenes, very challenging in later stages. There wasn't alot of customization, but the game was fairly awesome and definitely captured the Warhammer spirit.
Kurt Stevens
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2009, 11:28:10 PM »

Quote from: greeneggsnham on May 29, 2009, 10:28:46 PM

Quote from: Kurt Stevens on May 29, 2009, 12:43:28 PM

Epic 40K: Final Liberation. Very good game. Very good cutscenes, for the time... I wish there was someplace that had high rez versions of them.
There was also Rites of War, which was 40k done with the Panzer General 2 engine. It got spotty reviews, but I -loved- that game. SP has you as the Eldar, but on I think for multi you could be Tyranid/Genestealer Cult, SM/IG or Eldar.

For the 40k fan both (and 3 including Chaos Gate) are worth tracking down. I had gotten Final Liberation, Chaos Gate AND Rites of War as part of a 2 box sale at Compusa back in the day... some box set offering that included the non-40k Warhammer pc titles as well. Darn sweet deal.

Fire Warrior.... played it once, I keep meaning to go back and replay it to see if it's really as bad as I remembered it or not. The cutscenes, however, are awesome. I think I read somewhere that Tom Baker is the narrator for them, which if so makes 'em even better. Sadly, I'm pretty sure my memory is spot on and the gameplay stinks. Download the movies or youtube them and skip the gameplay.

I think I may have Rites of War boxed up some where along with Chaos Gate. I may have to go dig them out and try and load them on my netbook.  They might be a good distraction when traveling. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2010, 05:48:42 PM »

a couple of screenshots.

Because I can,
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2010, 06:03:14 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on February 25, 2010, 05:48:42 PM

They would need to implement effective dual wield (bolter + power sword/saw) gameplay to really capture the feel of the 40k space marine.  If they can do that, I'm there.  If they can also include the option to wield large hammers/swords and heavy bolters as another option, they would have all of their bases covered. 
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2010, 06:09:31 PM »

And OVERWATCH! :-D

All I want is an updated Spacehulk game...is that so much to ask?

oh, and I want the ability to play a psycher as well...and a genestealer...

A new one
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2010, 06:15:57 PM »

Playing a librarian would be a violent, gory experience. thumbsup

There's a ton of potential here if they can make it work.  Having different faction campaigns (Ork, SM, Chaos, etc) would add some long legs to an action game set in the 40k world through expansions or DLC.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2010, 06:18:51 PM »

There's also rumors of a new strategy RPG called Deathwatch coming out.  Also focused around Space Marines, except with Deathwatch it's marines selected from across the Imperium to join the Deathwatch for a time, an elite group that's tasked with dealing with xeno threats.
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2010, 06:30:24 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on February 25, 2010, 06:18:51 PM

There's also rumors of a new strategy RPG called Deathwatch coming out.  Also focused around Space Marines, except with Deathwatch it's marines selected from across the Imperium to join the Deathwatch for a time, an elite group that's tasked with dealing with xeno threats.

I knew "Deathwatch" was supposed to be the name of the third pen-and-paper RPG in the 40k line, after Dark Heresy and Rogue Trader.  Interesting to hear a video game may be coming out, too.   

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2010, 06:47:55 PM »

Seriosuly, its the coolest setting ever...an Immortal Emperor, Spacemarines, and Chaos mutants all rolled into one giant battle...how much better does it get?

A new one
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2010, 07:15:43 PM »

I would love to play this game as an assault marine, plasma pistol, chainsword, and assault pack!

This would be even better if it were a co-op game!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 07:18:45 PM by Dreamshadow » Logged

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2010, 08:53:33 PM »

Playing as an assault marine would be all kinds of awesome.  How about a level where you get to play as a dreadnaught, stomping on orks, setting lowly scum on fire, and chucking eldar across the screen? 
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2010, 08:57:09 PM »

Quote from: Roguetad on February 25, 2010, 08:53:33 PM

Playing as an assault marine would be all kinds of awesome.  How about a level where you get to play as a dreadnaught, stomping on orks, setting lowly scum on fire, and chucking eldar across the screen? 

heh, I read that as chuckling Eldars and for some reason found that hilarious! :-D

A new one
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2010, 07:29:06 PM »

E3 video and shots.

Because I can,
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2010, 11:05:18 PM »

It's looking really, really good. I'm glad it's turning out more like God of War than the clunky publisher pitch thaty showed a while back.
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2010, 03:00:29 AM »

Check out the release date on that link. I guess they're gonna pull a back to the future to get it out by that date  icon_lol

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2010, 04:55:57 AM »

YES! Between this and the 40k MMO, I'm a happy camper. 

Now if they'd just get around to confirming that I can play for Chaos in the MMO, I'll be in heaven.

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2010, 05:51:37 AM »

Quote from: Chaz on June 16, 2010, 04:55:57 AM

YES! Between this and the 40k MMO, I'm a happy camper. 

Now if they'd just get around to confirming that I can play for Chaos in the MMO, I'll be in heaven.

they start with "choose your side", so yeah, you can

A new one
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2010, 06:13:29 AM »

It'll probably be handled similar to how WAR handled choosing sides.

The Dark Millenium MMO looks to have a lot of shooting, which is a good sign that things could be different than every other MMO.

And I just saw some clearer footage of Space Marine and it's looking even better, the orks are pretty much in the same style as the RTS, which is nice since I play Dawn of War 2 a lot. I'm kind of hoping they show regular guardsmen in the game at some point, just to illustrate how puny an average human is compared to fully grown Orks and Space Marines.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2010, 06:18:55 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on June 16, 2010, 06:13:29 AM

just to illustrate how puny an average human is compared to fully grown Orks

There's no such thing as a fully grown Ork in the Warhammer universe. They never stop growing. smile
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2011, 11:33:45 PM »

This game looks better and better!

http://kotaku.com/5809190/the-followers-of-chaos-are-out-of-control-in-warhammer-40000-space-marine
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2011, 03:29:32 PM »

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/06/11/warhammer-40-000-kill-team-preview-dakka-dakka-dakka/

There's a digital download only "companion" game coming in in July called Warhammer 40K: Kill Team.  It's a twin stick shooter set in the WH40k universe.  Sounds like $10 well spent to me.

Here's a trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk3LN7bKYAU
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 03:33:35 PM by leo8877 » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: