http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 08:01:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Warhammer 40k - Dawn of War - Open Beta  (Read 1649 times)
Lockdown
Gaming Trend Senior Member

LD

View Profile
« on: August 05, 2004, 03:23:45 PM »

Honestly, if you guys are into PC gaming and have some time, you should go to GameSpy and get a CDKey and then download the beta for this.

If you are on a cable modem, allow about 20 - 30 minutes for the download, and probably another 30 minutes waiting in line for the download (depending on time of day).

The game is already (considering this is not a demo, but a beta) almost ready for release from a gameplay standpoint.  They obviously have lots of other stuff to add to the final product.

It is loads, and I am talking LOADS, of fun.

Just an FYI.

LD

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2004, 03:25:30 PM »

Yeah, I downloaded it a couple days ago.  Tried to get into a game, it loaded and then it crashed right out to the front menu again.  I'll have to try it again, maybe tonight.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2004, 04:23:55 PM »

Got a link to where you get the key?

LiveTAG: happydog
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2004, 11:20:30 AM »

This message is for everyone, but especially for EcoLogic :

Apparently, FilePlanet has re-opened the beta for a very short period of time.  (I read this on the official forums, don't know if it's true).

If it is true.... Go Get It Buddy!  You will not be disappointed.

LD

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2004, 01:31:35 PM »

Oh man, thanks for the heads up Lockdown.  

I'm at work right now, but on my lunch break I'll be running home and hopping on file planet.  I imagine the wait is extremely long though.

Is there a way to make the file start to download even if I'm not there to click download once it's my turn?

This signature is not personal, at all.  If you're not awake enough to realize our country is being taken down by an organized effort from a puppet chimp being controlled by a movement older than me.  Wake the freaking fack up.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2004, 01:40:51 PM »

What style of gameplay is this and what all can you do in it?

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2004, 02:01:33 PM »

Eco -  As far as I know, you have to be there to click download.  The good news is, if you go in the middle of the day, chances are you will not have to wait long.  Not positive about that though.

WBS - The game is supposed to somewhat mimic a miniatures type game on the pc, in RTS form.  They are still tweaking, but the jist is that you build up your base and simultaneously send squads of units out to secure Control Points around the map.  For each control point you secure, your economy is boosted a bit.  This encourages players to battle over control points in the form of small tactical skirmishes.  This is supposed to do two things.

1) Cut down on turtling in your base due to losing out on all the control points around the map.  Not that you can't turtle, you still can, but you will eventually be at a disadvantage.

2) Cut down on rushing to the opponent for the quick kill.  Not that you can't rush, you absolutely can, but if your opponent is ready for it, you again will be losing out to him economically as the game goes on.  

This is supposed to really push the players into battling over control points around the map with smaller armies.  Like I said, they are still tweaking this, but in general it is great fun.  Many of your troops are created in squads, while your vehicles come as single units.  

Full release is due out late September-ish from what I hear.

All in all, the beta is wonderfully smooth and well playing.  Bugs to squash for sure, but truly a fun, fun, fun RTS game.  There are four sides to choose from.  Space Marines (good guys), Chaos Marines (daemon worshippers), Orks (orks is orks), and Eldar (sort of like space Elves).

LD

Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2004, 02:21:43 PM »

I'll also voice my love towards this game at its beta stage. I've only played twice against other GGers, but both games've been some good wholesome fun. Even though I stink at RTS, including this one.

The good thing is, there's not as much micromanagement, as there would be in, say, Warcraft 3. The biggest focus is on the actual fighting, and it's a blast (no pun intended) to watch. And the titans are really something to be seen.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2004, 02:24:55 PM »

So Eco - Have you tried it out yet?

What do you think?

I'll bet your new rig is running it all nice and purrty, huh?

LD

LD

Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2004, 03:13:06 PM »

Lockdown -

I played the tutorial this weekend and am completely impressed.  I felt a little lost as it's been a while since I've played any RTS.  I definitely like it though and will play through the tutorial a few more times before going online with it.  Unless of course you or some other CG'ers would like to join me in coop or something.  Let me know.

I suddenly have a whole slew of new games and less time to play them.  

Warhammer, Rome:  Total War, Farcry (came with my mobo and it rox), Doom 3 (shallow tech demo if you ask me), Unreal Tournament 2004 (sequel to my all time favorite game, UT) and of course ESPN Football 2K5.

smile

This signature is not personal, at all.  If you're not awake enough to realize our country is being taken down by an organized effort from a puppet chimp being controlled by a movement older than me.  Wake the freaking fack up.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2004, 03:13:41 PM »

Oh yea, my system runs it beautifully.  I can't believe how quiet and fast it is.  I love it!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: