http://gamingtrend.com
July 31, 2014, 05:31:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Warhammer 4000 DOW 2 opinions  (Read 279 times)
Appollo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: February 09, 2011, 10:13:01 AM »

It's on special at steam, have never played the series at all.

I suck royally at RTS as I hate the whole whoever builds the most of X and rushs wins, my mind won't go there, I am a person who has always gone headfirst and bashed my way through to the other side in the fastest and most brutal fashion I can, but it looks cool, will only be Single Play as I never do multi.

Is this a easy game to get into, should I spring for it?
Razgon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 10:20:27 AM »

If you dont play on harder difficulties, you can do exactly as you say - bash right through and kill everything. It IS however a thinking man's RTS, where you have to use cover, abilities and the like to complete the mission. That said, one might compare it to an RPG, where you have 3-4 different characters, with a few select skills you have to use every mission, and not thousands of units to keep track off.

You have squads for each mission that you use, each with a different speciality, Stealth , heavy weapons, commander, assault, jump and the like. Those inherent abilities you have to use a bit to succed.

Other than that - the game is awesome, especially if you dig the whole Warhammer 40K setting, and its a VERY polished and well done game.

A new one
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 10:41:29 AM »

Quote from: Appollo on February 09, 2011, 10:13:01 AM

It's on special at steam, have never played the series at all.

I suck royally at RTS as I hate the whole whoever builds the most of X and rushs wins, my mind won't go there, I am a person who has always gone headfirst and bashed my way through to the other side in the fastest and most brutal fashion I can, but it looks cool, will only be Single Play as I never do multi.

Is this a easy game to get into, should I spring for it?

First and foremost: It's Warhammer 40k, not Warhammer 4000. slywink

This isn't a traditional RTS in single player (the multiplayer is a bit more traditional though). There's no base building and no endless supply of units. You'll usually only control 13 or so space marines per mission, divided into 4 squads with clear and unique abilities. In many ways it's more like a squad-based action RPG than an RTS.
Appollo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 11:04:02 AM »

Lordy TiLT, way to show my newbyness in all it's glory hey  icon_smile

It sounds pretty cool and I think it may well be worth a go, might buy it and let it sit until I get through ME and ME2 then finish The Riddick series then Borderlands then finish Witcher oh I think then I got Tropico 3 and expansion I haven't even downloaded but sit there waiting plus I remember Deathspank being in there somewhere.

Steam is a bit dangerous it seems
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 07:37:16 PM »

Just a heads up.  These are both worth it for the single player game but after this month very few people are going to be available to play multi player as the newest expansion is coming out.  The new expansion is entirely standalone and uses Steam as its matchmaking service instead of Live.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: